daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #1921
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Right. The South Shore of NJ is served by commuter rail but NJ is much less dense than NYC or even Newark and Jersey City, so people drive everywhere.

NJ could use better mass transit connections to NY but the people in the exurbs with all the money choose to drive.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #1922
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

ATLANTA'S EL TORO Y, part two

First, the map again:

This is a closeup of the view westward from the Boggs Road
bridge. The bridge carrying southbound 316 over 85 was built for three lanes, but one was striped away, not to be used. WTF, you may ask, especially since the project bids came in 47 percent over the estimate.

Here's the larger view. The idea was that 316 HOV lane would split. The left/straight ahead fork would enter the 85 HOV lane from the left. The right fork would become the left lane of the three-lane bridge, thereby giving HOV users preferential access to the general traffic lanes on 85.

So, why didn't they stick with the plan? Well, maybe it was because it would've imposed too much merging, from nine lanes into six. Or, more plausibly: this project, as elaborate as it is, doesn't resolve the bottleneck. Traffic still backs up for miles every morning-- how can it not? Under the branched HOV lane scheme, congestion on the general traffic lanes would've backed up into the main HOV lane, interfering with its flow onto 85. By abandoning the split-lane scheme, the HOV lane is better segregated and retains some chance of functioning. Too bad nobody thought of this before that expensive bridge was built a lane wider than it needed to be.

Looking east on the 316 CD road at the Boggs Road bridge. The bent on the left was built as part of the original bridge in 2000 or so (how do I not know exactly what year?), but hidden behind a precast retaining wall. To add the CD road, the existing precast wall was removed, the new one installed, and precast beams were placed spanning the gap. Two lanes of Boggs Road were kept open throughout the process.

For Radi: crash barriers so shiny-- I can see myself!

Ahh, the very apex of the roadbuilders' art. This is looking east from the Breckinridge Blvd bridge (the unmarked white road on the Google Map, east of Boggs Road). To the left sloppy swale paving was placed adjacent to the old, to-be-abandoned asphalt onramp and now holds stagnant water. The foundation for 316's center jersey barrier has been placed-- think they've got enough drainage inlets? Add the ever-charming anti-homicide/suicide bridge railing, and surely the apartments in the background charge a hefty premium for such an inspiring view.

Taken from 316 eastbound a bit further east, this is the Herrington Road bridge. The Regional HOV System Plan calls (or called) for full HOV access in both directions here, but I don't think that's gonna happen under this project. The project ends at the western ramps of the Sugarloaf Parkway interchange less than a mile away, and there isn't enough room for HOV ramps from here to make the merge before the HOV lane ends.

This bridge is the same as the ones in my photos of I-75 in south Georgia. AFAIK it's the last such bridge in the northern half of the state.

Taken looking north from the Old Norcross Road bridge. The one-lane roadway on the left is the two-mile-long offramp. Next to it is the CD from north of the project. It actually begins over three miles (5km) away. Then there's the 316 onramp, clearly showing the striped-away right lane. Beyond that is the I-85 mainline. The left lane will eventually be marked as the HOV lanes as in the photo I posted from the Pleasant Hill Road bridge.

Also from the Old Norcross Road bridge, this pathetically fuzzy closeup is meant to show the graceful curve of the two-mile-long offramp. The northbound CD road is in the foreground.

Taken from Satellite Blvd to the west: the two-mile-long offramp soars over a wetland.

Some views from the north. Today I walked right out in the middle of the interchange...

Looking south from Boggs Road over I-85. To the left is the ramp from westbound 316 and Boggs Road, next the new CD passing under both 316 roadways and the HOV lanes.

Looking north from the same bridge at the existing CD system. Both northbound and southbound the direction of traffic between the CD's
and the mainline is being reversed. Probably the new ramps will be
connected to the Sugarloaf Parkway ramps by auxilliary lanes.

And, finally, through the interchange on I-85 southbound. Because of
the skew between the 316 ramp and I-85, bents carry the spans over
85. The two-mile-long offramp is at the upper right corner.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #1923
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I will have a look this summer, I will be in Spokane, and then drive north (I-395, I thought) to Grand Forks, BC, Canada.
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #1924
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

That's US 395. It goes all the way from Socal to Canada.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #1925
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Right. The South Shore of NJ is served by commuter rail but NJ is much less dense than NYC or even Newark and Jersey City, so people drive everywhere.

NJ could use better mass transit connections to NY but the people in the exurbs with all the money choose to drive.
Well, just about EVERYTHING is less dense than NYC.
I'm all in favor of better mass transit, but I do think there are LOTS of mass transit connections from NJ into the city. Commuter rail links, Amtrak, Path, NJ Transit busses, ferries....I mean....what is it that's lacking that you'd like to see added?
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #1926
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I've driven on it before, in 2003 (we have family living in Canada) and in 1998. I don't remember much, except that it was very hot, and that there were firework stands all over the place (it was on July the 4th, independence day). This year, I will make some pics of the road itself, and the border with Canada (if I get the chance for that)
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #1927
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-25 in Denver

I must say, this actually looks pretty nice.

Old March 17th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #1928
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I don't know about that. It seems to me that it would better if they allocated several left lanes for bypassing the city. These multi-lanes huge motorways are often jammed anyway and plus, drivers tend to drive chaotically with unsafe lane changes, etc.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1929
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I don't know about that. It seems to me that it would better if they allocated several left lanes for bypassing the city. These multi-lanes huge motorways are often jammed anyway and plus, drivers tend to drive chaotically with unsafe lane changes, etc.
That would be a great idea. A couple of middle lanes should be walled off in each direction for about 20-30 miles so long distance drivers and truckers can bypass the city. It would be like a rural freeway in the middle of a city.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #1930
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, i agree with you guys. 5 lanes is max for efficiency, you go higher, and the capacity per lane decreases fast. (3+2+2+3 would be a better solution). I was referring more to the general looks of this freeway, it looks better than most California concrete mass.
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #1931
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

I think a collector-express system would work fine in LA.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #1932
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Some of it already exists on the Santa Monica Freeway just west of downtown. That area is just notoriously clogged though, and expanding it through downtown is not feasible at all.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #1933
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
Some of it already exists on the Santa Monica Freeway just west of downtown. That area is just notoriously clogged though, and expanding it through downtown is not feasible at all.
I know this would be expensive but I think a four lane (2 in each direction) 20-30 mile bridge thorough most large cities in the U.S. for a bypass would work great for long distance traffic. I think there will need to be warnings for people to get gas before getting on this bridge and hope the stupid drivers don't get into accidents on this bridge/causeway.

To get political here the money used for the war in Iraq could have been used for an awesome project like this.
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #1934
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Which direction would it go? Would it just go right over people's houses? I can't see anything like that ever getting approved. People are all about aesthetics nowadays and people automatically equate it with blight.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #1935
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

No, the bridge would not be approved for sure. It's not just aesthetics - look what kind of neighbourhoods exist under such bridges.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #1936
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Well the better option would be improving the efficiency of our current roads. In LA, on the Foothill, San Bernardino, Pomona, and Harbor Freeways they are going to put toll lanes because of the problem with the carpool lanes on those freeways. They are at capacity and going way too slowly to be effective. I was wondering if maybe the other lanes would be like traffic-collector lanes. So this would make the freeway more efficient and also bring in new revenue? How could anyone be against it? I'd like to see what the recommendation would be for how this would work.

Also, with these express lanes, would they go 20 miles and have entrances but no exits? Can all 3 (toll, express, and collector lanes) be placed on a 5-lane freeway like, let's say the Foothill Freeway?

Old March 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #1937
FM 2258

No entrances, no exits is what my idea is. To use Atlanta as an example I wonder how many people drive through Interstate 75/85 through downtown and don't exit or enter the highway at that point. Move people who are driving straight through on a separate roadway altogether.
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #1938
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
I've driven on it before, in 2003 (we have family living in Canada) and in 1998. I don't remember much, except that it was very hot, and that there were firework stands all over the place (it was on July the 4th, independence day). This year, I will make some pics of the road itself, and the border with Canada (if I get the chance for that)
The roads on I-90 are amazing once you get past Ellensburg. Very smooth pavement that was laid down not too long ago. It's 2 lanes eastbound and 3 lanes westbound with very little traffic. Of course, this is all on the east side of the mountains.

People actually keep right except to pass too. Reminds me of highways in Europe. Oh and cruising speed is 80 mph all the way to Spokane.

You can rarely feel a bump in the road. Now what I don't get is why they don't raise the speed limits and use thicker pavement markings. Actually I don't get that for Washington highways in general. I like the painted rumble strips and reflectors but the paint itself is so thin it gets hard to see.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #1939
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

They look nice but USA, especially CA and East coast, needs an efficient railway development for passenger transport badly. I mean building more road cannot be an efficient and environmental solution. And here, biggest problem seems to be habits of people who cannot leave their car a moment.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #1940
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I-25 in Denver

I must say, this actually looks pretty nice.

That's a short section to the south of the city where it expands to 12 lanes (6 in each direction). The majority of I-25 through the city is 6 - 8 lanes with a train line running the whole length from the southern most part of the metro area to downtown. Next time I'm down there, I'll go ahead and take some pictures.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban