daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #1
karlarrec1

Likes (Received): 0

YEREVAN | Projects & Construction

Hi folks.

I'm not sure if this is the right subforum to post this thread in, but I'm gonna give it a try.

Yerevan, the capital of Armenia, is undergoing a massive construction boom, funded mostly by Armenian millioniares from Russia. They are transforming the city center in an unprecedented way.

Armenia is a country of 3 million people. It is the smallest former Soviet republic.
1 million people live in Yerevan, the capital.
About 4 million Armenians live in the very active and nationalistic Diaspora, which has greatly benefitted Armenia.
Armenia's economy has seen at least 10% GDP growth every year since 1998.
Its neighbors are Turkey to the west, Georgia to the north, Azerbaijan to the east, and Iran to the south.

There are 2 huge projects, the construction of 2 new streets: the Northern Avenue project, and the Main Avenue project.
The Northern Avenue project will be completed in about a year, while Main Avenue is just getting started.

Beyond that, there is an amazing number of luxury residential highrises going up in the city.

And, there is the construction of the Museum of Contemporary Art, funded by American-Armenian Gerard Cafesjian.

In the past few years, the city center has also seen major road reconstruction and the refurbication of the central square, Republic Square, funded by American-Armenian billionaire, Kirk Kerkorian.

And an Argentinean-Armenian has purchased the main airport and is adding a new terminal while renovating the existing one.

Finally, there are small projects across the city, from new stores to hotels to cafes to clubs and restaurants. The city is coming alive.

I just wanted to give you all a taste of what's going on in Yerevan...

Northern Avenue

This project literally cut a new street through the city center, connecting the Opera Square to the Republic Square. It was part of Yerevan's first urban plan in the 1920s, but was only just realized. It will be pedestrian-only.

All buildings in this pic are new.

Main Avenue

Dilapidated building to be torn down for the Main Avenue reconstruction project.

Luxure highrise condos

This one is curved in the middle.

Cafesjian Museum of Contemporary Art

It will be a $25m project, built atop a hill, in a district known as the "Cascade" as there is a beautiful stairway/gardens leading up the hill.

Some rather poor renderings. The museum is designed by American David Hoston. It began construction in May 2005.

Other projects

A renovation...please notice the new palm trees...in Armenia!

Expansion and renovation of Yerevan State University.

Renovation of Republic Square:

The center is a replica of a traditional Armenian carpet. It is made with stone from each of Armenia's provinces.

At night.

Refurbished Opera House:

New nightlife:

The most popular club in Yerevan, Astral. The first western-style club. Plus, a large gay patronage, a rarity in Yerevan.

New restaurants:

New/remodeled hotels:

New shopping center:

New water park:

New cathedral:

Some final views:

I'm sorry if I veered too much from showing skyscrapers; but I wanted everyone to get a feel of everything that is going on in Yerevan. It is truly mind-boggling, I think.

Enjoy!

Last edited by karlarrec1; November 7th, 2005 at 07:46 AM.
karlarrec1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #2
KhApZ!

Likes (Received): 1

Thank you for this post! One of my good friends here in Australia is Armenian, he is EXTREMELY patriotic (mocks EVERYTHING remotely Turkish or Azeri) but apart from that, hes a great guy. I recall him telling me about how bad the poverty is and how low the living standards are in Erevan, is anything being done to directly combat this?

Welcome to the forum by the way! What nationality are you?
KhApZ! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #3
karlarrec1

Thanks for the welcome! I'm Armenian myself (though not from Armenia the republic), and quite the patriot like your friend down under.

The living standards in Yerevan are low, but they are improving. The poverty rate has decreased from 50% to 42% in the last couple of years, as the government has implemented a strategic poverty reduction plan. That plan has garnered much support from the European powers.

I was last in Yerevan (the only time anyway), in 2000. None of the stuff in these pictures was anywhere to be seen. Recent visitors to the city are amazed and shocked at the sheer amount of construction and change. That first picture with the cranes tells the story quite succintly, I think.

Greetings to your friend!

(PS: I was in Sydney and Cairns in January 2004 -- it's lovely down there. Fell in love with Sydney!)
karlarrec1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #4
Football Rules
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Great projects for Yerevan
I dont think this thread belongs in this section since Armenia geographically is located in South-Western Asia.
Football Rules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #5
genci888

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlarrec1

WOW
genci888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #6
bloodsaric
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

That looks very nice, great buildings
bloodsaric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #7
paku
polished and finnished

Likes (Received): 218

Thanks for the pics! Yerevan projects look very nice. Please keep us updated!
paku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #8
RTX
BANNED

I like those buildings U/C in Armenia.
RTX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #9
Gilgamesh

Likes (Received): 21

Oh...Thanx a thousands for the pics and all...I've always been interested in our northern neighbours...
Gilgamesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #10
KhApZ!

The Caucasus is the debatable eastern end of Europe, so I feel this is the right section for this post.

I am glad to hear you liked Sydney! My Armo friend has relatives in LA actually and loved the Armenian community atmosphere alot...He was telling me stories about sitting on the road till like 3am just chatting to all his neighbours who were all Armos aswell- there is a much bigger size Armenian comunity over there apparantly.

He is heading back at the end of next year he tells me, he basically only sticks to Yerevan, it would be interesting to hear from him. Ive always had a weird interest in the mysterious Caucasus countries, so thanks alot for posting once again! Please keep posting if you find more pics/info about Armenia .
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #11
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

fantastic, great, wow, very nice, How well is Armenia doing economically, has this effect repeated all over Armenia or only the Capitol?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #12
Luka

Likes (Received): 2808

AMAZING!!!
Old November 7th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #13
CVRKI
Stop the World...

Splendid.
Magnificient interpretation of the traditional style. I wish my Serbs had this talent.

Old November 7th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #14
KhApZ!

Well Armenia was the first country to accept Christianity as its national religion If that perhaps explains the magnificent beauty of this church
Old November 7th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #15
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5029

Incredible! Welcome to the forum. Sure Armenia belongs here, as we had already had seen projects of and discussed Azerbaijan and Georgia before.

So you're born in diaspora? That's awesome how you guys maintain your cultural heritage.
Old November 7th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #16
VoliVasPendula
BANNED

A truly amazing city.
VoliVasPendula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #17
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Well personally I don't think this thread should stay here but if we have that delusional guy claiming Azerbaijan is Eastern Europe post threads here I guess this is even more entitled to stay.
And great projects, I am amazed at the quality of some buildings!
and of course, Welcome! I doubt we have any Armenian members, so it's good to get at least one.

Last edited by 3tmk; November 7th, 2005 at 06:05 PM.
3tmk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #18
KhApZ!

^ You think im delusional...thats just what lonely planet thought me.... You are such a freaking troll! WAHHH!!!

Old November 7th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #19
lindenthaler
ubahnista

Likes (Received): 175

Totaly amazing, and cathedral is great!
lindenthaler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #20
Shodan
BANNED

Wow, very nice.