daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #21
magestom

Likes (Received): 17

rzj2000-为什么您总必须说坏事关于其它发展中国家? 您最攻击印度。为什么? 它给我头疼。
magestom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #22
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by magestom
Budha was an Indian King who was Hindu. He didn't like the cast system.
Nope, it was not his thing against the caste system. Hardly. When he was born, a great Rishi said that he would be either a great king or a great rishi. The father of Siddhartha(Buddha's original name) wanted him to be a king and shielded Siddharth from the pains of life like sickness, death, old age etc and kept him locked in the palace. One day Siddharth wanted to get out of his palace. His father so chose a route that did not have people who are sick or anythijng. SOo when Siddhartha set out with his Sarathi(charioteer), he saw a wretched sick man, he said
"Oh Sarathi, what happened to that man?
Sarathi said"Oh Prince, that man is sick."
"Will I become sick too?"
"Oh yes you can, o prince.

Siddhartha became sad.Then he went along and saw an old man.
He said,"Oh Sarathi, what is wrong with that personn, why is his hair grey?"
"He is an old man, one day you too will grow old and have grey hair", said the sarathi.

Siddharth again became sad and went further. He was trying to explore life.
He saw a funeral procession, he again asked
"Sarathi, what has happened?"
"That man is dead maharaj, one day you will die too."

That was it. Siddharth became sad and wanted to attain nirvana, so that he could be released from the cycle of birth and death.

So he had nothing against casteism, and its not like he did not "like" casteism or something.

www.ironaddicts.com
centralized pandemonium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #23
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Likes (Received): 13

Oh btw, what a wonderful building. I say, this is better than Taj Mahal too.

www.ironaddicts.com
centralized pandemonium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 01:35 AM   #24
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Well, the teachings of sages from the Buddha (630 BC) onwards are fundamentally incompatable with the notion of a socioeconomic class system. It's only until this century has society matured to the point that it can put those ideals into practice.
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #25
Hidden Dragon

Likes (Received): 794

Magnificant!!!
Hidden Dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #26
Cariad

Likes (Received): 318

I dont know what to say ..... simply beautiful and utterly amazing!
Cariad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #27
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Beautiful. This was boasted as being more beautiful than the Taj Mahal while it was under construction, right? Great fusion of many distincts styles, and the use of high tech is amazing.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #28
koyer

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
He just said about Aryan's conquering India in about 1500BC,so today's Indian is not ancient Indian who created civilization 3000BC.But in fact,the number of Aryan is not so large,and the Aryan weren't not from Europe.I suppose they were from Xinjiang,at that time,there were some there.Maybe there's some relationship between caste system and that history.
I don't konw why he said this,Hinduism,Buddhism was created after Aryan's conquering,maybe there's some misunderstand.

Last edited by koyer; November 8th, 2005 at 09:01 AM.
koyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #29
Jai

Indian civilization is a fusion of 'Aryan', proto-'Aryan', like the Saraswati River, Mahabalipuram Civs., etc., and prehistoric tribal cultures. Similarly Hinduism is a fusion of all these once seperate belief system, merged into an encompassing, pantheistic whole much larger than the sum of its parts.

The thing is, all this fusion happened c. 3000 BC. So in fact, rzj2000, today's Indian is quite the same as the ancient. And its culture has continued uninterrupted since then
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #30
Dr.VitO
Highrise Only

Likes (Received): 0

Amazing building indeed
Dr.VitO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #31
butyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai
Indian civilization is a fusion of 'Aryan', proto-'Aryan', like the Saraswati River, Mahabalipuram Civs., etc., and prehistoric tribal cultures. Similarly Hinduism is a fusion of all these once seperate belief system, merged into an encompassing, pantheistic whole much larger than the sum of its parts.

The thing is, all this fusion happened c. 3000 BC. ,
But all I had read about India said that Aryan conquered India in about 1500BC,could you say more clearly?

http://www.geographia.com/india/india02.htm

The first group to invade India were the Aryans, who came out of the north in about 1500 BC. The Aryans brought with them strong cultural traditions that, miraculously, still remain in force today. They spoke and wrote in a language called Sanskrit, which was later used in the first documentation of the Vedas. Though warriors and conquerors, the Aryans lived alongside Indus, introducing them to the caste system and establishing the basis of the Indian religions. The Aryans inhabited the northern regions for about 700 years, then moved further south and east when they developed iron tools and weapons. They eventually settled the Ganges valley and built large kingdoms throughout much of northern India.

http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/timeline/timeline.htm
http://www.crystalinks.com/indiahistory.html

2300-2000 BCE: India - Cultural exchange between the Indus Valley civilization and MESOPOTAMIA (present day Iraq) is especially prominent.

600-1500 BCE: India - The Aryans invade the Indus Valley region.

1600-1000 BCE: India - Between these dates, the Early Vedic period of Indian civilization unfolds
butyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #32
Jai

God, don't be pedantic. Especially so if your completely ignorant of the facts, save for what can be cut-and-pasted from a three-minute google search.

I was referring to the Indus Valley (Saraswati River) civilization, which was a cosmopolitan culture borne from a fusion of the proto-'Aryan' Indo European and the local post-Neolithic tribal cultures, with cultural inputs from near-eastern and central-asian civilizations. That is the fusion I'm referring to, Professor.

The Aryan migration happened later, and it, too, fused into the cultures and civilizations -- Saraswati, Mahabalipuram, etc. -- in India at that time.

The Aryans are not the alpha and omega of Indian culture. It was old when even they wandered in. So then I guess I was 700 years off from 5 millenia with my 3000 BC reference. Gee. Sorry.

It's funny how nationalism goads one into visceral need to trivialize the other, as so painfully evident in this thread.

Last edited by Jai; November 8th, 2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #33
butyer

Quote:
I think that's because West always compare China with India and criticize China,that's just like teacher criticize a student by comparing him with another student.

Last edited by butyer; November 8th, 2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #34
Jai

^ That's nationalistic xenophobia defined in practice for you, folks. The nefarious west daring to compare India with the middle Kingdom, and daring to discuss the fact that as cultural influence goes, it was decidedly one way, from India to China.

What's downright sad is that in your, and rzj's, nationalistic minds, that undisputable historical fact is equated with somehow 'criticizing' China. Acknowlaging that *gasp* even China has been culturally influenced by India is incredibly mischevious.

Anyone with the least bit of maturity and intellectual honesty will admit that cultures and civilizations rise and fall with the influence of others. As a banyan tree grows, the branches branch off and merge, and new trees are formed and destroyed.

So it is with China, and its cultural influences taken from India, central Asia, and indigenous cultures. So it is with India, as was already discussed.

So grow up, get honest and stop trying to slander your own people with your own inferiority complex.

Now can we please get back onto the subject of architecture, people?

-Jai
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #35
Jai

Anyway, to get the thread back on topic, here are some pics from the opening ceremonies:

Old November 8th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #36
butyer

Quote:
that undisputable historical fact is equated with somehow 'criticizing' China. Acknowlaging that *gasp* even China has been culturally influenced by India is incredibly mischevious.
China doesn't care about compared with other countries on history, such as India,Persia,Egypt or more.But West always compare China with India on politics or more and criticize China,then predict India is better and can surpass China just because of politics or other things related to politics.So that made some Chinese tired of it,just like teacher criticize again and again,especially always mention India,made,and always India has a superiority complex over China about their politics,so that made things more complex.

Last edited by butyer; November 8th, 2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #37
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by butyer
I think that's because West always compare China with India and criticize China,that's just like teacher criticize mischievous student by comparing him with model student.
The most weird and stupid comments I've ever encountered since I joined SSC.

Last edited by ChinaboyUSA; November 8th, 2005 at 11:17 AM.
ChinaboyUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #38
Jai

heh.. I didn't even pick up on where he was going with that 2nd sentence till now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by butyer
China doesn't care about compared with other countries on history, such as India,Persia,Egypt or more.But West always compare China with India on politics or more and blah blah blah blah boo hoo hoo
Where in this thread did anyone do anything remotely like that. Realize you're embarassing your countrymen by claiming to speak for them.

I'm ending this convo right here.

Last edited by Jai; November 8th, 2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old November 8th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #39
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

This building makes me put New Delhi on the list of cities I wanna visit b4 I die :-)
spicytimothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #40
magestom

Likes (Received): 17

Go to India in 2010 and even better 2020.
magestom no está en línea   Reply With Quote