daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #321
caserass
Normandie

Likes (Received): 5120

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
My top 10 around the world

1.Pyramid, Egypt
2.Great Wall, China
3.Eiffiel Tower, Paris
4.Big Ben, London
5.Statue of Liberty, New York
6.Statue of Christ the Redeemer, Brazil
7.The Burj Khalifa, Dubai
8.Colosseum, Rome
9.Empire State Building, New York
10.London Eye, London
In my opinion I see the taj mahal and the Kremlin coming largely ahead the Burj and the London eye... Other than that I would put the great wall behind Big ben and the statue of Liberty
caserass no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #322
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

That is my top 10, based on my preference and taste
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #323
caserass
Normandie

Likes (Received): 5120

That's because I liked your list I felt the need to post a comment

cheers
caserass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #324
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Of those, only the London Eye and the Hollywood Sign could be considered iconic. London City Hall isn't really iconic, Tower Bridge is far more iconic than it.

Remember that outside of a skyscraper forum most people wouldn't even know what the Petronas Towers were called, let alone where they are. Same could be said for Canton Tower... and the Birds Nest Stadium, it's a bit too new to go labeling it 'iconic' just yet.

As far as I'm concerned, the Modern Icons of today would be...

The London Eye, the Sydney Opera House, the Hollywood Sign and the Statue of Liberty

Now I realise that your opinion obviously differs from mine, but if someone said to you "tell me the worlds most easily recognisable icons"... that half of what you said would spring to mind? I can't say they would.... perhaps it's just me.
1-i think london eye is okay,but its architectural value is weak..thousand of ferris wheel around the world has almost same shape.
2-sydney opera house is modern,but not modern enough same with statue of liberty,i cant see any modern element in that statue,
3-hollywood sign is ok,but nowaday too many city name has this kind of landmark,
4-who said that petronas twin tower is not iconic enough?i thinks this is only skyscraper to build in that style,and unique at is own also very represent asia-the pagoda,islamic geometric and the skybridge..
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #325
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
1-i think london eye is okay,but its architectural value is weak..thousand of ferris wheel around the world has almost same shape.
2-sydney opera house is modern,but not modern enough same with statue of liberty,i cant see any modern element in that statue,
3-hollywood sign is ok,but nowaday too many city name has this kind of landmark,
4-who said that petronas twin tower is not iconic enough?i thinks this is only skyscraper to build in that style,and unique at is own also very represent asia-the pagoda,islamic geometric and the skybridge..
I think you're missing the point. Iconic status isn't only reserved to grand architecture. Sometimes it's the simplicity of things which makes them iconic. So because you deem the London Eye to be of weak architectural value, it must not be an icon?

Sydney Opera House, built in the 60s/70s, isn't modern enough? In todays day and age, the Opera House is regarded one of the most iconic/distinctive buildings of the 20th century... need one say much more? As far as the Statue of Liberty, it may not be modern, but it still has a iconic and modern message for freedom...

The Hollywood sign, you know why it's been repeated? Oh, it wouldn't have anything to do with its iconic status, no?

Petronas may be iconic to Malaysia and South East Asia, but it's certainly not one of the worlds most iconic structures. Irrespective of its architectural style, it's skybridge, and/or what it represents... its really not as iconic as you make it out to be.

I understand you obviously love your own country and the Petronas Towers... but in the grand scheme of things...
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #326
RaySthlm
BANNED

Likes (Received): 50

Agree, Petronas tower is/was famous because it USED to be the tallest skyscraper(s) in the world, now its not anymore, so time to move on.
RaySthlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #327
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:

I understand you obviously love your own country and the Petronas Towers... but in the grand scheme of things...
u wrong about me,im not saying ptt is iconic because it in my city,can u tell me which modern skyscraper that more iconic then ptt?and more representing thier region and also its symbolist..i think other iconic skyscraper would be
burj al arab,only that two structure working for me as iconic
raysthlm-iconic its not about being tallest-exmple-eiffel tower is not he tallest but its still one of famous landmark in the world.same with empire state,
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #328
Mehome
Moved

Likes (Received): 1911

most famous landmark in the world is Liberty statue!
and then Merlion in Singapore, Eiffel tower and the Big Ben. that's just my opinion..

Last edited by Mehome; March 14th, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Mehome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #329
RaySthlm
BANNED

Last edited by RaySthlm; March 13th, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old March 13th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #330
SO143
BANNED

You don't understand what guy4versa4 just explained. Petronas Tower will always be one of the icons of both Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia. No matter how ridiculously tall skyscrapers are built in it's neighbour countries, Petronas Tower will always be there and that's why we call it Icon. Your building doesn't need to have the world's tallest height in order to be iconic, eg The Gherkin in London is not that tall by global standard but it is still one of the most recognizable skyscrapers in the world. Eiffiel Tower is also an icon of both Paris and France that is famous internationally, just like Statue of Liberty in New York and Big Ben in London. So, regarding with this Petronas Tower, which is still an icon and famous, because it represents for Malaysia.
Old March 13th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #331
RaySthlm
BANNED

my misstake.
Old March 14th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #332
frio
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

it's really hard to keep a lot of "new" and modern supertalls in the list of world's most FAMOUS landmarks because:

1. they only enjoy much of their worldwide fame when they still keep the title "tallest"
(as in the case of taipei 101 and petronas towers... show a picture of these buildings randomly to people, how many
could name the buildings and the cities whre they're at?)
2. they hardly represent something that the whole humanity shares in common
(just as the statue of liberty represents freedom not just for americans... do i need to mention its TV/Movie exposures?)
3. they usually only represent a single nation's pride and nothing broader than that.
(as in the case of taipei 101, petronas towers... i think burj khalifa will also fall on this
category once another supertall takes its place as the world's tallest, but i guess for
now we can consider it "globally iconic" because of the fact that it still holds the
title as the world's tallest)

now, don't get me wrong when i posted this... the examples given above are really great structures, but i just personally think that they lack something to be considered "iconic" in a global scale which is also one reason why i'm having reservations to certain great structures like the Ankor Wat, Stonehenge, Leaning tower of Pisa, Sydney Opera house, Kremlin, Borubudur Temple, Forbidden City, Big Ben and a lot more coz i'm not so sure how famous or "globally iconic" they are farther from their host nations.

for me, the most FAMOUS are as follows:
1. Pyramids of Giza (hands down)
2. Statue of Liberty
3. Great wall of China
4. Eiffel Tower
5. Hollywood sign (eyebrow raising, but it's iconic and famous! show a picture of it to someone who does not read, i bet he/she will still
recognize the sign!)
6. Empire State Building (now there's something about this building that separates it from the rest)

Last edited by frio; March 14th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
frio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #333
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
You don't understand what guy4versa4 just explained. Petronas Tower will always be one of the icons of both Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia. No matter how ridiculously tall skyscrapers are built in it's neighbour countries, Petronas Tower will always be there and that's why we call it Icon. Your building doesn't need to have the world's tallest height in order to be iconic, eg The Gherkin in London is not that tall by global standard but it is still one of the most recognizable skyscrapers in the world. Eiffiel Tower is also an icon of both Paris and France that is famous internationally, just like Statue of Liberty in New York and Big Ben in London. So, regarding with this Petronas Tower, which is still an icon and famous, because it represents for Malaysia.
You're right, it's not about being tall, but Petronas were only famous at one point in time for being tall... Just as the Burj Khalifa is today... and Taipei 101 was a few years ago...

What's the Taipei 101 today? About the same thing Petronas Towers are... iconic to a city and country, but not to the world. They are by no means on the same level as the Eiffel Tower, Sydney Opera House, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Hollywood Sign, Christ the Redeemer, etc. etc.

Now no one is saying that it isn't iconic to Malaysia or Kuala Lumpur... it is, but that doesn't automatically make it an icon to the world? They're certainly not the most recognisable structure.

Do you get what I'm trying to say, or am I wasting my time... again?

edit: above pretty much said what I was trying to say.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #334
frio
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
You're right, it's not about being tall, but Petronas were only famous at one point in time for being tall... Just as the Burj Khalifa is today... and Taipei 101 was a few years ago...

What's the Taipei 101 today? About the same thing Petronas Towers are... iconic to a city and country, but not to the world. They are by no means on the same level as the Eiffel Tower, Sydney Opera House, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Hollywood Sign, Christ the Redeemer, etc. etc.

Now no one is saying that it isn't iconic to Malaysia or Kuala Lumpur... it is, but that doesn't automatically make it an icon to the world? They're certainly not the most recognisable structure.

Do you get what I'm trying to say, or am I wasting my time... again?

edit: above pretty much said what I was trying to say.

Maybe the good gentleman thinks what's famous in Malysia is famous in the whole world

just a refresher
this thread, by the way, is about THE MOST FAMOUS LANDMARKS...
Now, being in this section of skyscrapercity, i believe we are talking about global scale... it's sort of show a picture of Petronas towers randomly to people anywhere in the world and see how many can recognize it, name it and tell where it's at! Now, it doesn't mean that we are underrating Petronas towers here, it is indeed an iconic representation of Kulala Lumpur and Malaysia as a whole, but whether it is a globally famous landmark is questionable!

Last edited by frio; March 14th, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
frio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #335
SO143
BANNED

Eiffiel Tower is the world's most famous landmark on global scale, this is it.
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #336
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

My list:

1. Eiffel Tower
2. Pyramids of Giza
3. Statue of Liberty
4. Great Wall of China
5. Leaning Tower of Pisa

@ Petronas Towers or London Eye. Yeah, they're famous, no doubt about that. But they don't come even close to the worldwide fame the historic landmarks gathered over the centuries. Ask some random person on the street (wo isn't into architecture or skyscrapers) about Petronas Towers or even Burj Khalifa and he will just shrug his shoulders. And most people on earth are like that. Uninterested, ignorant or they lack the education. But they somewhere have surely seen the absolutely iconic shape of the Eiffel Tower or the Pyramids.

Last edited by Tiaren; March 14th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #337
SO143
BANNED

London Eye is just an modern icon of London, it is not even included in world's heritage sites. Big Ben also should be in the world's most famous landmarks list, it is also one of world's heritage sites and very very old as well. Tower Bridge is also included in one of world's heritage sites but i do not want to list it in world's top 5 list. Sydney Opera House is also an icon of both Sydney and Australia but it is quite young and not really that famous compare to the big guys like Eiffiel Tower, Big Ben or Statue of Liberty for example. Great Wall of China and Pyramid of Egypt are no doubt icons on global scale.

Big Ben
image hosted on flickr
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #338
Countach

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Sydney Opera House is also an icon of both Sydney and Australia but it is quite young and not really that famous compare to the big guys like Eiffiel Tower, Big Ben or Statue of Liberty for example. Great Wall of China and Pyramid of Egypt are no doubt icons on global scale.
I agree. I think that we shouldn't judge a landmark according to our knowledge, Sydney Opera House is well known worldwide by people who have a knowledge about architecture that is higher than the avarage, but I have serious doubts that it is well known by "common" people all around the world. If I show a picture of the Eiffel Tower to a person, I am pretty sure that he knows what it is and where it is. If I show to the same person a picture of Sydney Oper House there are serious probabilities that he doesn't know.
Talking about Europe, I think that the Colosseum is another worldwide known landmark.
Countach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #339
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4158

For me, the world's 3 most famous are: the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower and the Pyramids of Egypt.
Cauê no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #340
SO143
BANNED

Statue of Liberty is overrated