daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #341
frio
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Statue of Liberty is overrated
being overrated is a non-issue... being famous is..., and i think the statue of liberty does not fall short of being one!
frio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #342
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

World's Heritages/landmarks

Pyramid, Egypt
image hosted on flickr

All Gizah Pyramids by liber, on Flickr

Stonehenge, UK
image hosted on flickr

Stonehenge by Degge, on Flickr

Great Wall, China
image hosted on flickr

Great Wall, Jinshanling by ╬Thomas Reichart ╬, on Flickr

Colosseum, Italy
image hosted on flickr

Roman Colosseum - Rome Italy by DiGitALGoLD, on Flickr

Taj Mahal, India
image hosted on flickr

Glorious Taj Mahal by glennharper, on Flickr

Christ The Redeemer, Brazil
image hosted on flickr

2-8-11 _ 093- Brazil - Christ the Redeemer by 1 YSL, on Flickr

Uluṟu-Kata Tjuṯa National Park, Australia
image hosted on flickr

Halo's over Uluru & Kata Tjuta by miller00, on Flickr

Last edited by SO143; March 14th, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #343
sc4

Likes (Received): 88

But those are the classical/historical landmarks.....what about new/modern landmarks?
sc4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #344
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
My list:

1. Eiffel Tower
2. Pyramids of Giza
3. Statue of Liberty
4. Great Wall of China
5. Leaning Tower of Pisa

@ Petronas Towers or London Eye. Yeah, they're famous, no doubt about that. But they don't come even close to the worldwide fame the historic landmarks gathered over the centuries. Ask some random person on the street (wo isn't into architecture or skyscrapers) about Petronas Towers or even Burj Khalifa and he will just shrug his shoulders. And most people on earth are like that. Uninterested, ignorant or they lack the education. But they somewhere have surely seen the absolutely iconic shape of the Eiffel Tower or the Pyramids.
yeah its a matter of time..but i think we can divide to two category which is old landmark and new...perhaps i think the older is more stronger,
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #345
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

actually, the Empire State or Sydney Opera or even the Eiffel Tower are pretty new.
I doubt, that Petronas Towers or Burj Khalifa or all the other skyscrapers will EVER get to that fame. Why? Because they are all just one super tall after the other. They will be overtrumped by even higher supertalls faster than you can even memorize their name.
Famous landmarks became famous, because they were the first of their kind or because they played a big role in history. Like this:

Brandenburg Gate:

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david-b...n/photostream/

It's actually kinda small and underwhelming in reality, but at least every European knows it.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #346
frio
BANNED

Quote:
actually, the Empire State or Sydney Opera or even the Eiffel Tower are pretty new.
I doubt, that Petronas Towers or Burj Khalifa or all the other skyscrapers will EVER get to that fame. Why? Because they are all just one super tall after the other. They will be overtrumped by even higher supertalls faster than you can even memorize their name.
agree, that's the case of most supertalls like i pointed out previously. of course there are some exceptions like the empire state building...

Quote:
Famous landmarks became famous, because they were the first of their kind or because they played a big role in history. Like this:

Brandenburg Gate:

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david-b...n/photostream/

It's actually kinda small and underwhelming in reality, but at least every European knows it.
at least every european knows it... but still not enough to be considered one of the WORLD'S most famous landmarks! try looking at it beyond the realms of europe... that would be the same story as the petronas, with all due respect my friend!
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #347
Tiaren

double post, sorry!
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #348
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by frio View Post
agree, that's the case of most supertalls like i pointed out previously. of course there are some exceptions like the empire state building...

at least every european knows it... but still not enough to be considered one of the WORLD'S most famous landmarks! try looking at it beyond the realms of europe... that would be the same story as the petronas, with all due respect my friend!
Oh, I didn't claim Brandenburg Gate was one of the most famous. I know it isn't. It's just a good example of structures that got famous due to history and not because it was somehow impressiv or unique. It was hardly mentioned here and and I know that most don't even know it's name, even though they might have seen it somewhere.
It recently became quite popular in those apocalyptic Hollywood flicks and starred recently in the movie "Unkown".
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #349
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 197

Old world - the pyramids
New world - the Eiffel tower.
MelboyPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #350
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 197

Old world - the pyramids
New world - the Eiffel tower.
MelboyPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #351
frio
BANNED

agree!

though i have a feeling that the statue of liberty can be equally or even more famous than the eiffel tower!
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #352
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

But you do realise that both are made by French right?
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #353
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

tradition-
i think it hold title for most iconic iron/metal structure=eiffel tower,
most iconic ancient structure=pyramid,
most iconic religous building=tajmahal
modern-
most iconic stadium=beijing bird nest,
most iconic skyscrape=petronas twin tower,
most iconic building architecture=sydney opera house
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #354
frio
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
But you do realise that both are made by French right?
actually i didn't... (though, of course, i know the french made them both) but i'm actually looking at it "face value" rather than analyzing details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy4versa4 View Post
tradition-
i think it hold title for most iconic iron/metal structure=eiffel tower, agree!since you filtered the criteria bringing down to nothing less than the eiffel tower
most iconic ancient structure=pyramid, agree!
most iconic religous building=tajmahal agree! but i don't know if burial ground is considered religious... maybe??

modern-
most iconic stadium=beijing bird nest, i don't know, but could be!
most iconic skyscrape=petronas twin tower, i think the empire state building owns this title
most iconic building architecture=sydney opera house could be!

this is a rather intriguing set... but it's good to see things in other person's perspective for comparison!

Last edited by frio; March 17th, 2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #355
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

The Taj Mahal isn't a religious building.

You're also massively wrong about most iconic stadium being the Bird's Nest in Beijing. Architecturally, it is stunning. But I could draw you a list of 100 (or more) stadia I'd rather visit than the Bird's Nest. Stadia aren't about architecture, they're about the fans, the history and the atmosphere enveloped inside it as a result.

Certain stadia also hold more sway worldwide because of what they mean, or the sport they relate to - The Nou Camp, the Bernabeu, the San Siro, Anfield, Old Trafford, (old) Wembley to name just a few European football based ones. And that's just one sport, and one continent, and not exhaustive.

You're also wrong about most iconic skyscraper, though I like the Petronas Towers A LOT.
Old March 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #356
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4303

Petronas Tower

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wazari/5407689488/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sasuhai/5357748158/

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelworld123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
You're right, it's not about being tall, but Petronas were only famous at one point in time for being tall... Just as the Burj Khalifa is today... and Taipei 101 was a few years ago...

What's the Taipei 101 today? About the same thing Petronas Towers are... iconic to a city and country, but not to the world. They are by no means on the same level as the Eiffel Tower, Sydney Opera House, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Hollywood Sign, Christ the Redeemer, etc. etc.

Now no one is saying that it isn't iconic to Malaysia or Kuala Lumpur... it is, but that doesn't automatically make it an icon to the world? They're certainly not the most recognisable structure.

Do you get what I'm trying to say, or am I wasting my time... again?

edit: above pretty much said what I was trying to say.
I think Eiffel Tower, Sydney Opera House, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Hollywood Sign, Christ the Redeemer etc are the world famous oldies, but Petronas Towers are still growing in fame because its very recognisable.
And I can tell u that all over d world lots of people recognise this building as a landmark of Malaysia. That means its iconic and famous. just my 2C
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM   #357
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
The Taj Mahal isn't a religious building.

You're also massively wrong about most iconic stadium being the Bird's Nest in Beijing. Architecturally, it is stunning. But I could draw you a list of 100 (or more) stadia I'd rather visit than the Bird's Nest. Stadia aren't about architecture, they're about the fans, the history and the atmosphere enveloped inside it as a result.

Certain stadia also hold more sway worldwide because of what they mean, or the sport they relate to - The Nou Camp, the Bernabeu, the San Siro, Anfield, Old Trafford, (old) Wembley to name just a few European football based ones. And that's just one sport, and one continent, and not exhaustive.

You're also wrong about most iconic skyscraper, though I like the Petronas Towers A LOT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taj_Mahal

The Taj Mahal is indeed religious.

Hindi: ताज महल

Visitation: More than 3 million (in 2003)

UNESCO World Heritage Site

Type: Cultural

Criteria: i

Designated: 1983 (7th session)

Reference #: 252

State Party: India

Located in western Uttar Pradesh, India

The Taj Mahal ( /ˈtɑːdʒ məˈhɑːl/;[1] Hindi: ताज महल, from Persian/Urdu: تاج محل "crown of buildings", pronounced [ˈt̪aːdʒ mɛˈɦɛl]; also "the Taj"[2]) is a mausoleum located in Agra, India.

It is one of the most recognizable structures in the world.

It was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his third wife, Mumtaz Mahal. It is widely considered as one of the most beautiful buildings in the world and stands as a symbol of eternal love.

Taj Mahal is the finest example of Mughal architecture, a style that combines elements from Persian, Islamic and Indian architectural styles.

In 1983, the Taj Mahal became a UNESCO World Heritage Site. While the white domed marble mausoleum is the most familiar component of the Taj Mahal, it is actually an integrated complex of structures. The construction began around 1632 and was completed around 1653, employing thousands of artisans and craftsmen.[5] The construction of the Taj Mahal was entrusted to a board of architects under imperial supervision, including Abd ul-Karim Ma'mur Khan, Makramat Khan, and Ustad Ahmad Lahauri.[6][7] Lahauri[8] is generally considered to be the principal designer.[9]

bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:28 PM   #358
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by frio View Post

agree!

though i have a feeling that the statue of liberty can be equally or even more famous than the eiffel tower!
not at all.
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:25 AM   #359
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

1. Eiffel Tower
2. Pyramids of Giza
3. Empire State Building
4. Taj Mahal
5. Big Ben
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:22 AM   #360