daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #1
Architect Boy

Likes (Received): 0

What is the greatest Museum or Gallery?

Doing a research /design on a museum or a Gallery renovation. I just want to know what do you consider as the greatest architecture in Museum or Gallery in your country?
Architect Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #2
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Likes (Received): 19

du muse du Louvre

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
Skoulikimou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #3
tuckerman

Renzo Piano is doing some great additions and renovations - see the High Museum, Milwaukee, Chicago, Berne, etc.
tuckerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #4
Quente
Al-l-,

Likes (Received): 14

Speaking of Renzo Piano, I always thought the project that he did for the deMenil Museum in Houston TX was well done. The buildings are contextual, and exterior windows allow people to look at the collection when the museum is closed (the notion of accessibility was an important part of the program).

A few other museums that I've enjoyed:

The Kimball Museum in Fort Worth TX by Louis Kahn is a real gem - use of materials, the natural light that comes in at the top of the barrel vaults, the water features, scale - truly an exceptional building.

Though the interior spaces are uninspired, the exterior of the Salvador Dali Museum in Figueres, Spain is a playful and quirky building like the artist. Quite memorable - I left there with a greater appreciation of Dali as an artist and celebrity.

I know it's a real bitch to try hanging art work on a curved wall that is being viewed from a corkscrew ramp, but I really love the Guggenheim Museum in New York City. The building is iconic, the original concept is brilliant, the use of materials is wonderful and I love the atrium space.

Almost forgot the Pompidou Center in Paris - great views from the museum, clear circulation patterns, very open.

The counterpoint to the Pompidou would be the Musee d'Orsey in Paris - I find it difficult to walk around in terms of getting easily from one point to another and I found the physical dimensions of some of the circulation spaces to be very narrow. Having said that I love the Belle Epoque restaurant above the main entrance that's been there since it was a train station and the other restaurant where you can see the clock is a nice space as well. One very cool exhibition idea is on the ground floor where they have a scale model of Paris and you can walk above it a few feet on clear flooring. We went last July, and I covered my 8 year old daughter's eyes as I carried her out to the middle of the floor. It made quite an impression as I uncovered her eyes and she suddenly felt airborne!

The buildings of the Louvre are quite spectacular. There are some very memorable spaces within the building including the setting for the Winged Victory of Samothrace - beautiful. And although I was aghast when I first saw IM Pei's drawings for the new entrance, I gotta admit - it works. Furthermore, compared to what it looked like before, it is a vast improvement.

Sorry to go on - you can probably tell that my family and I enjoy going to art museums, huh? At any rate, the comments above are strictly related to the architecture - not the collections!

One place on my list is the Tate Modern - I'd be curious to know how people rate it.

Best - Kent
Quente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #5
ishtefh_03

well, in our country which is philippines, i think the best museum would be the "ayala museum"

internationally, i think louvre museum is great made by im pei...
ishtefh_03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #6
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

I actually preffer the renovation to the British Museum myself...

Having the modern part of the design effectively "floating" over the old/new neoclassical parts makes for a much smoother intergration IMHO.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #7
Kika
Better United

Likes (Received): 42

The Prado (Madrid, Spain)
The Louvres (Paris, France)
The Hermitage (St. Petersburg, Russia)

Old November 15th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #8
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

The Louvre absolutely, it's like a masterpiece in its own right.
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote