daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #181
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The Las Vegas Monorail is undeterred by adverse weather, including strong winds and flooding.

Blackraven liked this post
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #182
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I think the Monorail was built with private money, not with public direct investment (other than a few tax breaks)
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #183
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

How does the machinery of the units take to sandstorms?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #185
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Monorail glides past giant Ferris wheel construction at the new Linq:

image hosted on flickr

Las Vegas Monorail by Ray Cunningham, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by Iyhon Chiu, on Flickr

geometarkv liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #186
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

A new video which includes the High Roller wheel under construction.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #187
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

The wheel should help monorail business by making more people aware of it

lkstrknb liked this post
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #188
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

What would help - is the airport extention that was cancelled years ago.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

lkstrknb liked this post
Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #189
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26115

From Las Vegas Review Journal:

Quote:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/tr...rail-ridership

Linq, High Roller help drive up Las Vegas monorail ridership
April 17, 2014, by RICHARD N. VELOTTA

The Las Vegas Monorail passes by MGM Grand on Friday, Jan. 3, photo by Jae C. Hong/AP Photo

Caesars Entertainment’s Linq retail district apparently is driving more than tourism to the heart of the Strip.

Officials with the Las Vegas Monorail Co. say it’s partially responsible for a boost in ridership for the 3.9-mile elevated transit system that has seen a downward spiral in the number of people it has carried annually since 2007.

The company this week reported its third straight quarter of passenger increases with 1.1 million customers and farebox revenue of $5.1 million. Both are double-digit percentage increases over the first quarter of 2013.

Ingrid Reisman, a spokeswoman for the company, said the high visibility of the High Roller observation wheel and the presence of this year’s ConExpo-Con/Agg construction show in March at the Las Vegas Convention Center were the biggest traffic drivers for the monorail.

“Las Vegas has also shown a significant increase in tourism in general for the first two months of the year and that certainly has helped,” Reisman said.

While March figures have yet to be posted, the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority reported an 8.4 percent increase in visitor volume in January and 3.4 percent more in February compared with those months in 2013.

Reisman said the Visitors Authority’s efforts to attract more international visitors and more millennial generation guests would be favorable to the monorail because those types of visitors tend to use mass transportation more than others.

For monorail ridership, March’s 473,995 passengers represented the highest monthly total since the 537,574 that used the system in March 2011. The Linq attraction opened in March and the ConExpo show — a convention that occurs once every three years and is forecast to be the city’s largest show of 2014 — was at the Convention Center for five days early in the month.

The monorail company posts its ridership numbers quarterly and the first quarter figures showed a 14 percent increase in passengers and an 11.5 percent increase in farebox over the first quarter of 2013. The quarterly farebox figure was the highest since the third quarter of 2011.

Ridership was up every month of 2014’s first quarter, 13.1 percent in January, 3.4 percent in February and 29.4 percent in March.

Revenue was up 10.5 percent in January and 27.1 percent in March, but down 1.7 percent in February.

On Thursday afternoon, former Mayor Oscar Goodman, the head of the Las Vegas Host Committee, surprised Steve Riley of San Diego at the Harrah’s monorail station with the news that he was the 60 millionth person to ride the monorail.

For being that passenger, Riley, who was visiting with his wife, Laura, received a prize package that included show tickets, dinners at local restaurants, bus and helicopter tours, a raft trip, zipline passes, tickets to the Mob Museum and a miniature replica of the Welcome to Las Vegas sign.

A pattern of higher ridership and lower revenue began last year as a result of the company selling more wholesale contracts in 2013 after the company emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in late 2012. Wholesale pricing reduces the total revenue per passenger.

The bankruptcy filing prevented the monorail company from extensive marketing of the system.

Reisman said monorail officials had forecast the first-quarter increase and they say the ridership future is brightening.

The company figures it will see further increases as the Linq and High Roller attractions become better established. The company is anticipating a ridership bump in May when The Cromwell, formerly Bill’s Gamblin’ Hall and Saloon, opens its doors. It’s a Caesars property and the company has been supportive of the monorail in the past.

Another increase is anticipated in September when SLS, the former Sahara property on the north end of the Strip, opens on the Labor Day weekend.

The monorail has its northern terminus station attached to that property. The station has been closed since May 2011 when the Sahara was shuttered.

Monorail officials believe that curious visitors will want to see the SLS amenities when the property opens and will use the monorail to get there.

“It’s a popular brand in Southern California so we think there will be a lot of interest, especially from people who know them there and want to see what they have in Las Vegas,” Reisman said.

Ridership increases would be a welcome turn for the monorail, which has seen its passenger numbers plummet since 2007 and its farebox revenue fall steadily since 2006. In 2007, the company reported 7.9 million passengers rode the system. It fell to 4.13 million passengers in 2012, but increased to 4.17 million last year.

On the revenue side, the company reported $31.5 million raised in 2006. Annually, the total has fallen through 2013 when the company reported $18.4 million paid.While critics have called for the monorail to be dismantled, others say the system would be successful if it were to be extended to McCarran International Airport.

Although company executives continue to seek investors to pay for an extension, there are no plans to add a McCarran link or new tracks to downtown Las Vegas or the west side of the Strip as initially envisioned when the system opened in 2004.

geometarkv, HARTride 2012 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #190
trainrover

Mass, they say, eh? By the tone alone throughout that tall tale , it bemuses me that the high fraction of readers of that story being suckered into yet another additional layer of LV's crooked legacy EXCEEDS any corresponding speculation
Old April 19th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #191
greg_christine

The article is hardly a puff piece. In the past, The Review Journal has not hesitated to criticize the monorail's management. The monorail has taken multiple hits due to the closure of the Sahara and the general economic downturn. That the improving economy together with new development are serving to improve ridership is genuine good news. Just leave it at that.
Old April 19th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #192
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Is the Las Vegas area introducing integrated payment cards anytime soon?
Old April 19th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #193
trainrover

If you in fact be referring to fare cards, then why would they, right, for a route entirely devised for districts .. its skirting neighbourhoods seems quite telling of the staunch societal strata plaguing that settlement, don't you think?

And be wary of the art craft of illusion being bandied about, greg_christine
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #194
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1664

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
The monorail could still be a success but only if they make it part of the standard transit system.
Just as LV is considering the future of it's monorail other cities in the world are embrasing it for the mass transit needs on a massive scale. Many large cities suchas Sao Paulo, Mumbai, Chonquin have begun construction on monorail systems or have just opened them.
The new Choquing systems already carries 400,000 a day and is only a few years old, the Mumbai system will be atleast 50 km with the first section opening this year. The SP system will be a massive 110km and have a capacity of 52,000 pphpd...........far higher than most metro systems in the world.
Chonquin??? sorry never heard of it. Did you mean 重庆?
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:28 AM   #195
greg_christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
The monorail could still be a success but only if they make it part of the standard transit system.
For some folks, the monorail is part of the standard transit system.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014...love-monorail/

OPINION:
How I grew to love the monorail

Passengers wait to board the Las Vegas Monorail at the Harrah’s station Monday, Nov. 14, 2011.

By John Katsilometes
Sunday, April 20, 2014 | 2 a.m.

I was at the ticket counter behind a couple who apparently were not from here. They inadvertently purchased two too many, and the gentleman turned and offered to sell me one or both of his tickets at face value.

“You want these for $10?” he said, offering the two tickets.

“I can get them for $2,” I said.

“How?” he asked, turning toward the young woman working at the counter.

“Local,” she said.

“I live here,” I added.

It was a real Monorail Moment. I explained to the couple the discount offered those with a valid Nevada ID: A single-ride ticket is $1, meaning you can board at one stop and get off at any other for a buck. The only way to get this deal is to buy the tickets at a staffed monorail customer service counter, which are open from 9 a.m.-7 p.m. (the monorail runs from 7 a.m.-2 a.m. daily). This deal is not offered at ticket vending machines.

“Then you could have bought two tickets for us for just $2?” the guy said.

“No, because you only get two per day,” I said, “and these are mine, all mine.”

For those who are not monorail literate, the city’s passenger train snakes for about 4 miles along the east side of the Strip, starting at its northern-most point at the former Sahara hotel station on Paradise Road and remains in operation as the opening of SLS nears (though parking on that parcel is off-limits for now; your best bet is to park at McDonald’s). It stops at LVH, Las Vegas Convention Center, Harrah’s/the Quad, Flamingo, Bally’s/Paris Las Vegas and MGM Grand.

I’ve only recently been reminded of the monorail’s exact route. I’d hopped on a few times since it launched a decade ago. I have followed the history of the monorail, as have most longtime Las Vegans, recalling the planned but never delivered expansion to McCarran International Airport, UNLV and downtown Las Vegas.

Ten years later, the monorail survives as a nonprofit entity and boasts that it is the only public rail system in the U.S. that does not use public money. Ticket sales fund its operation. Steeped in bankruptcy seven years ago, the monorail has reorganized its finances to pay down debt, and the most recent ridership numbers have been encouraging. The past three quarters have shown modest but consistent increases in ridership. The needle moved 1 percent from 2012 to 2013, as 4.9 million passengers boarded. On April 17, its 60 millionth passenger boarded.

Who rides the rail? Well, not me, if you believe pure statistics. I seem a one-man demographic of Las Vegans who actually boards. Ninety-seven percent of passengers are visitors. Of those visitors, 85 percent are in town for leisure — and I’d expected, wrongly, that the majority of passengers were here for conventions. Not so. Visiting monorail passengers are a little younger than the typical Las Vegas visitor, as a third are millennials, or those 18-34 years old. A third are international tourists.

To me, the life preserver for the monorail might be the Linq. It is not easy to park anywhere on the east side of the Strip, and the Linq is host to events (such as the recent Academy of Country Music Awards show concerts) that draw several thousand fans. Three times this month, I’ve taken the monorail to either the Linq or, on a Sunday night, to Harrah’s.

I rode it for the April 12 Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley bout at MGM Grand Garden Arena, which was jammed with about 16,000 fans. After the fight, I scooted through a mass of folks at a near-standstill outside the MGM Grand and hustled to the monorail entrance. I was to my car at LVH in less than 20 minutes.

The overarching plan for the monorail is to one day expand to McCarran, UNLV and downtown. Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority chief Rossi Ralenkotter says his “global transportation” plan is to link the city’s three major convention fortresses — Las Vegas Convention Center, Sands Expo and Mandalay Bay Convention Center — on a single route. But until some sort of funding is approved, those are just optimistic ideas.

Short-term monorail plans are to implement software at the e-ticket vending machines to read credit or debit cards for local ZIP codes and offer that buck-per-ride discount. It’s a pretty sweet deal.

Of course, visitors will be envious of that cut-rate offer. But speaking for the 3 percent of Las Vegans who ride the monorail, we deserve that discount. We’ve done our homework.
Old October 11th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #196
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Photos of Las Vegas Public Transit from Matt Johnson

Las Vegas Monorail

IMG_5008
by Matt' Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_5024

IMG_4833

IMG_4653

IMG_4830

Buses

IMG_4642

IMG_4622

Mandalay Bay Tram

IMG_4614

Aria Express

IMG_5037
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; October 12th, 2015 at 06:30 PM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 09:57 PM   #197
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

They wanted - some time ago - to build a BRT system. There was talk about few lines of BRT instead of one LRT line. Something like octopus not a snake - if i recall it right.
Did it come true? Does the BRT work well in Vegas?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 03:50 AM   #198
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

3rd Quarter Public Transit Ridership numbers for Las Vegas

Las Vegas / RTC of Southern Nevada - 187,906 (2015) : 3.54%
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 03:58 AM   #199