daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #21
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

5440 North Sheridan
Edgewater

15 floors + townhomes
Designed by Booth Hansen
The Bluewater Companies

"Construction begins winter 2006-2007"
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #22
ChicagoLover

Likes (Received): 0

Strange rendering.. frankly, it looks ugly.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #23
spyguy
Expert

Really? The rendering itself is a bit weird, but I think the building is beautiful and shows that the "Boom" is heading in the right direction design-wise.
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #24
spyguy
Expert

Bigger images of 5440 Sheridan

Old May 28th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #25
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLover
Strange rendering.. frankly, it looks ugly.
Strange?...Ugly?...Are you kidding this is absolutely beautiful. I respect architects and design firms that will sacrifice the overrated height element of a building with details...the exterior dark walnut wood is just gorgous...I think architectual details are more consistently being neglected and the intial focus is soley on the structure and the height...however I believe the structure, materials, and height should all be able to coexist harmoniously together...Mies would be proud of this gem.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #26
wheelingman
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Likes (Received): 9

^ I like it too.
Montreal is unique!!
wheelingman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #27
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

Edgewater Glen Condos. Ground floor retail. 6 stories. 1 block from Thorndale Red line .

LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #28
spyguy
Expert

Another big highrise

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/newsstar...806-s1.article

Admiral redevelops Edgewater campus

October 18, 2006
By LORRAINE SWANSON
Staff Writer

When staff and the board of directors at The Admiral on the Lake, the city's oldest, non-profit enterprise serving elderly Chicagoans, decided to redevelop its existing campus at 909 W. Foster Avenue, they came to only one conclusion.

They wanted the Admiral to stay in Edgewater, where it had been ensconced for 46 years. They also didn't want to give up their many years of friendship with the Admiral's senior residents, or abandon its loyal employees, many of whom had been with the organization for more than 30 years.

"The organization has been considering this issue for some time. The size of the campus is inefficient in size and not large enough to cover all costs. More important, we want to serve more people and the only way to do that is to change the campus," said Glenn Brichacek, president and CEO of the Admiral.

Last month, The Admiral's ambitious modernization and expansion plans were approved without opposition by the 48th ward's zoning and planning committee. Pending city approval of a zoning change for increased density, Brichacek anticipates the project to be fully underway in 2008 after demolition of the existing buildings is completed.

"The board wanted to continue serving older adults living on the city's Far North Side," Brichacek said.

"Since the beginning of the year, we've been doing research and invited older adults to indicate their interest in the project. We have 250 who've indicated an interest, two-thirds who are from Uptown, and the other third coming from the Gold Coast," Brichacek noted.

The redeveloped campus features a slender, 31-story tower in the center of the development with a series of three, successively lower buildings sloping to the east toward Lake Shore Drive, and includes 200 apartments for independent living with lakefront and city views.

To the immediate west and directly connected to the independent living section, will be a 12-story tower accommodating 39 suites for assisted living, 36 private rooms for skilled nursing care, and 17 private rooms for memory care, or residents experiencing dementia.

Once completed, the new development will also offer amenities to the community, including expanded retail services along a set-back promenade on Foster Avenue, including a cafe and alfresco dining open to the public, and 300 parking spaces, with 25 to 50 spaces available to immediate neighbors.

Memberships to The Admiral's pool, spa, salon, massage therapy, wellness center and some exercise programs available on a membership basis to older adults in the neighborhood. Brichacek also said that redevelopment project, once completed, will generate 125 new jobs in the senior living community, not including outside retailers in a set-back promenade on Foster Avenue.

After working collaboratively with Ald. Mary Ann Smith, 48th, community organizations and current residents, The Admiral made changes to the building design and operations based on community input, specifically the Carmen-Winona Block Club.

"Alderman Smith has a unique, community-based process for gathering input and it is a process that works. We spent a year working with community groups to move forward with a plan that is in the best interest of residents and the community," Brichacek said.

The Admiral worked with the Carmen-Winona Block Club on a series of lower buildings to increase ambient light available to nearby residences.

The Admiral will offer all current residents freedom to choose an alternative, nearby senior living "host" community that offers comparable care and services consistent with the Admiral's standards. Current residents will keep their contacts with the Admiral during the roughly 30-month transition, and remain Admiral residents. Moving expenses will also be paid for by The Admiral.

"The well-being of our residents has always been, and always will be, our first and foremost priority," said Brichacek.

The Admiral is also working with host communities to take on its existing staff during the renovation, to offset their increase in occupancy. Employees who cannot be outplaced will be offered severance packages.

www.thenewadmiral.com
Old November 12th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #29
Chicago Shawn

^Hell yeah! Even though the design is pretty bland, I am greatly looking forward to new construction in this area to freshen up the dated atmosphere. Increased density is always a plus and right by express CTA routes too, a perfect place for additional people. I hope this results in some spill over redevelopment of the Dominicks with the huge parking lot or that nasty 4+1 at Sheridan and Foster.

Then agian it seems they will be demolishing a pretty nice old building for this, so I am a little upset over that. It doesn't appear they tried to save it, pretty sad. At least the replacement gives a nice boost in height and density.

Last edited by Chicago Shawn; November 12th, 2006 at 07:13 PM.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #30
High Life on LSD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

- edit
High Life on LSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #31
dropdeaded209

Does anyone know what's going on with Catalpa Gardens? My roommates and I lived on Bryn Mawr while it was in the early stages of construction--I'd love to see some pictures of it now that it's almost finished--or has the lawsuit thrown the completion schedule out of whack?
dropdeaded209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #32
ChgoLvr83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with Catalpa Gardens? My roommates and I lived on Bryn Mawr while it was in the early stages of construction--I'd love to see some pictures of it now that it's almost finished--or has the lawsuit thrown the completion schedule out of whack?
Lawsuit? What happened?
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #33
dropdeaded209

see the post right above mine.
dropdeaded209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #34
ChgoLvr83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
see the post right above mine.
Oh shit. Oops.
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #35
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed

Chicago: North Sheridan Road Condominium Tower, 5440 N. Sheridan Road, 178-unit residential building, November 2007, $20 million
Old September 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #36
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

http://www.suntimes.com/business/546...rise07.article
Quote:
Beitler, church talk high-rise at LSD end

September 7, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN [email protected]/[email protected]

J. Paul Beitler, known for building downtown office towers during the boom years of the 1980s, has teamed with a North Side church to propose a 45-story residential building for the north end of Lake Shore Drive.It would be built next to St. Andrew's Greek Orthodox Church at 5649 N. Sheridan. The site is a parking lot that the church owns.

A zoning application Beitler filed with the city said the building would contain 288 units and parking for 613 cars. The large parking set-aside indicates that some of the spaces would be available to the church..........

The location is in Edgewater, part of the 48th Ward represented by Ald. Mary Ann Smith. Doug Fraser, an aide to Smith, said Beitler and the church are showing the plans to community groups..........

Last edited by nomarandlee; September 7th, 2007 at 10:58 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #37
spyguy
Expert

^Sounds better than the 30 story proposal by AvalonBay.
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #38
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
There was just a couple on my tour who mentioned this tower. They said that it was a beautiful design.

I was told that it's in the shape of a sail and pretty slender. I don't know who the architect is yet, but I will be going to city hall to see if the PD has been filed.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #39
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

That would be nice to get something unique, modern, and innovative to juxtapose the high-rises in the far north side.
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #40
spyguy
Expert

I believe the caption mentioned it was designed by P/H.