daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #21
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

I think what I can do is seperate the high development areas, then maybe Southwest side, Far South side, Far Northwest Side. I don't think clumping everything together is that good of a idea, it isnt that organized. Wired NY or other city websites do it by neighborhood mostly, not sections of the city.
There is too much going on to just lump everything into 3-4 threads.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #22
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWside
Great Idea for a thread.... Here's a rendering of a 5 story development in the Rogers Park neighborhood on Clark, If anyone could post the image that would be great...
http://morsehellhole.blogspot.com/20...i-theatre.html

Also there's a Target being built on the site of a former strip mall on Peterson. From what I could tell it's a major improvement. The Target faces Peterson and from the look of it all parking is indoor, or hidden from view...

Yeah that is the monstrosity that they are proposing to replace the adelphi theater, as if there arent tons of parking lots or structurally unsound buildings that they could tear down to put that up on clark. They have to tear down a great old theater building, I sure hope that doesnt happen, and that building is totally uninspiring!
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #23
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

theres a gated community being developed on kedzie just south of pratt next to the gas company(not to be confused with the one just compleated recently just east of kedzie on pratt) this mini communitie is set to host varying sized masions . i know the developer name but i still cant find any info about it on the net. is anyone familiar with this development and know any thing about it?
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #24
LA1

CHICAGO-The bulk of a local university’s $85-million redevelopment project will be spent at a building that once was the tallest in the city. The 14-story Mundelein Center building is not located Downtown, but rather nearly eight miles north at 1012-28 W. Sheridan Rd. in the Rogers Park community.

Loyola University could receive up to $20.4 million in tax increment financing for the entire project, which will include work on three residence halls and streetscapes. However, more than $62 million is budgeted for repairing the 76-year-old Mundelein Center, which is on the National Register of Historic Buildings, where 25% of the space is unusable because of its disrepair, says Michelle Dewlen of the department of planning and development.

The tax increment financing proposal, endorsed Tuesday by the community development commission, calls for the university to front-fund the entire project, with reimbursements from the city coming on a “pay as you go” basis, assuming university-owned properties are generating revenue. In addition to its own fund-raising, university officials are considering historic tax credits, says vice president of capital planning Wayne Magdziarz.

To get the $20.4 million in tax increment financing, the university agreed to have the Mundelein Center designated a Chicago landmark, which will give the city additional oversight over changes to its façade. In addition, the university agreed to an approval process that requires community, department of planning and development as well as city council involvement as redevelopment of the lakefront campus continues.

“We’re still in somewhat of a buying mode for strategic properties around our campus,” Magdziarz says. With 15,000 students enrolled at the lakefront campus, the space there is only one-third what is needed for a student body that size, he adds.

When work is completed in 2009, the university plans to move its performing and fine arts programs to Mundelein Center. The building will get new elevator, heating, ventilation and air conditioning as well as electrical systems during its three-year renovation. While “green roofs” will be installed, they will replace portions that already are leaking. In addition, work is needed on the foundation, and the building will be made handicapped accessible.

“This has long been a building, and a project, that has been out there, and one that we recognize is important not only to the university but the community,” Magdziarz says
Old November 27th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #25
LA1

Im going to make this seperate, since this area seems to be booming.
Budlong Woods/Peterson Park/Pulaski Park

5588 N. Lincoln

5924 N. Lincoln

5978 N. Lincoln

5321 N. Lincoln

Last edited by LA1; January 10th, 2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old November 27th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #26
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1
5978 N. Lincoln

I saw this for the first time last summer and was very pleased. It's a very distinguished look, I think.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #27
wickedestcity
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity
theres a gated community being developed on kedzie just south of pratt next to the gas company(not to be confused with the one just compleated recently just east of kedzie on pratt) this mini communitie is set to host varying sized masions . i know the developer name but i still cant find any info about it on the net. is anyone familiar with this development and know any thing about it?
ok i found an add for this development. cheack out this suburban type of bull shit there filling this entire gated comunity with.this shit doesent belong in the city!
Old December 17th, 2005, 03:49 AM   #28
ThirdCoast312

Likes (Received): 0

in that area the houses are already like that anyways. it's practically like the suburbs over there on east of the river from Norhside Prep. This is no major loss.
ThirdCoast312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #29
LA1

I agree. Its almost in the suburbs.
Old December 17th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #30
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^Agreed. Who gives a flying ****?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #31
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophist
I saw this for the first time last summer and was very pleased. It's a very distinguished look, I think.
I think it is criminal that the city didn't turn the hot sheet, charge by the hour motel strip on Lincoln Avenue into a landmark district. How many of these fine, old institutions had a "Bill Clinton slept here" sign in some of its rooms?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #32
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Likes (Received): 4

I actually don't mind that Regent Park development..
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #33
wickedestcity
BANNED

Quote:
in that area the houses are already like that anyways. it's practically like the suburbs over there on east of the river from Norhside Prep. This is no major loss..
when was the last time you guys have been ther ? agreed its not as hard core as some other areas of the city but its still not suburban. theres plenty of streets lined with nothing but apt./condo buidings ,georgens,bungaloes, and ranches all squished together with barely any space between em. its 2 blocks from devon ,a pretty danm busy urban street dont forget. i dont think a house or development like that belongs next to devon.
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #34
ThirdCoast312

Likes (Received): 0

you're mistaking this area for areas closer to western
ThirdCoast312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:09 PM   #35
wickedestcity
BANNED

no im not man , my parents live a few blocks from there.im not istaking it for anything. once you jump to the west side of the river to the west then your in suburbia land
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM   #36
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

I agree with wickedestcity on that. A house like that should be nowhere near the city borders let alone Evanston, Skokie, or even a near burb. The more that type of crap comes closer into the city the harder it is to push away (at least this is what I fear). That looks no better then some of the worst in Naperville in Schaumberg developments.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:04 AM   #37
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Gated comunities should be banned by ministerial decree w/in the confines of our fine town

Anyone know how much those house are going for?
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 05:38 PM   #38
wickedestcity
BANNED

i know a corner house ranch a few blocks from there was reacently bought up for $750,000 on prat and richmond. a little shit house for 3/4 of a million!
Old December 23rd, 2005, 06:01 PM   #39
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
I agree with wickedestcity on that. A house like that should be nowhere near the city borders let alone Evanston, Skokie, or even a near burb. The more that type of crap comes closer into the city the harder it is to push away (at least this is what I fear). That looks no better then some of the worst in Naperville in Schaumberg developments.
^Oh, please.....

There is nothing wrong with houses near the suburban border being larger and more spacious and looking......suburban.

Lets focus our energy on the neighborhoods closer to the core--Bronzeville, Uptown, Logan Square, Edgwater/Rogers Park, Pilsen, Bridgeport, Kenwood/Hyde Park/Woodlawn, near West, etc. There is a LOT to be done in these neighborhoods that that's where the city should focus its most intense urbanizing energies
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 07:48 PM   #40
wickedestcity
BANNED

tup your thinking very short term. also its not those neighborhoods that anyone is realy worried about. there very close to the citys core and are in no danger of suburbanizing any time soon , if anything there gonna get even more urban and dence. its the neighborhoods like west rogers park and other outlaying neighborhoods that are still within the city and still near main streets like devon. ect. that are we sould be concerned that there being neglected and loosing there "city" feel to projects like this.