daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #41
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Gated communities do nothing but disrupt neighborhood continuity.....part of the greatness of chicago is it neighborhoods and being able to pretty much freely walk among them .....this type of shit does nothing but create little insular enclaves of people who considerd them "elite" and therefore too good to be amongst the rest of us. It ultimaatly fractures and destroys any "organic" sense of community and replaces it w/ artificial forced isolation

sorry I will stop responding to this issue in this thread now.....don't want to hijack it and turn it into a "anti - gated community" thread, when its supposed to be focused on development
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #42
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

i know this is a minor project but im curiouse if anyone knows anything about it. i noticed the lot on the north east corner of devon and kedzie where the old gas station used to be is finnaly being developed and theres an excavation crew on site. it was long vacant for at least 10 years now. anyways does anyone know what there going to puting up over there?
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #43
JV

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone have any more info on what will go up on the site of the old Adelphi Theater? I know a condo/retail development was in the works, but ever since the theater demo, the site has sat empty...
JV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #44
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Does anyone have any more info on what will go up on the site of the old Adelphi Theater? I know a condo/retail development was in the works, but ever since the theater demo, the site has sat empty...
^ I hate that shit

Why does the city let things get demolished without a replacement plan?

I'm like a f*&king broken record here, saying the same thing over and over, but it's such a simple solution. Don't issue demolition permits until financing for a redevelopment plan is available.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #45
wickedestcity
BANNED

if the building is lef sitting its harbours a nest of homless people which no one wants in their neighborhood.
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #46
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

Loyola's New Infomation Commons Building
Loyola University is in the final design phase of a new 70,000 sqft building on its Lakeshore Campus. The new building is expected to be located East of the existing Jesuit Residence buidling (which is planned to be demolished). The four story building will have two glass facades, maintaining some of the visual connection with lake, and is planned to house 800 study seats, 300 computer workstations and 8 state-of-the-art electronic classrooms. The top floor will be a large flexible meeting space with an outdoor patio. Features such as a green roof, radiant floor heating/cooling, maximazation of natural daylighting and water conservation strategies qualify Infomation Commons as a Silver rated LEED Certified building, one of fewer than 50 such environmentally certified buildings in the City of Chicago. For more information visit Loyola University's websit
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #47
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #48
wickedestcity
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity View Post
i know this is a minor project but im curiouse if anyone knows anything about it. i noticed the lot on the north east corner of devon and kedzie where the old gas station used to be is finnaly being developed and theres an excavation crew on site. it was long vacant for at least 10 years now. anyways does anyone know what there going to puting up over there?
turns out their building some kind of mixed use building with condos on top of street front retail. its about time this lot was developed its a pretty busy intersection. and thillens was redone as weel to put a cherry on the cake. its a good thing they kept the milk truck score board otherwize id be pissed off.
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #49
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

wow, that Loyola commons building looks like it might be the shiz. Way to go Loyola.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #50
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Condos evicting affordable housing
Rogers Park has lost 900 apartments a year since '03, study finds

By Antonio Olivo
Tribune staff reporter
Published October 25, 2006

A study released Tuesday shows that roughly 900 apartments in Rogers Park have been converted to condominiums each year since 2003, part of a citywide trend that recently prompted Mayor Richard Daley to call for a new campaign to preserve affordable housing.

Although condo conversions signal buyers' confidence in their neighborhoods, the report's authors argue there are not enough safeguards to keep developers from displacing the city's working poor.

Often developers will evict tenants when they want to convert a building to condos, said Brian White, executive director of the Lakeside Community Development Corp. which conducted the survey of nearly 5,000 Rogers Park parcels last summer.

"Typically, what you find is a developer buys a building, puts the tenants on a month-to-month lease and, when he gets his financing together, flips it," White said.

The study noted evidence that some developers illegally evicted their tenants before rehabbing their apartments.

Even if renters are offered first dibs on buying condos that replace their apartments, as is required under state law, the new homes are usually priced beyond what they could afford, White said.

The effect has been a diminishing pool of quality rental housing in the area, particularly for larger families needing the more spacious apartments often targeted for condo conversions, said John Fitzgerald, executive director of the Howard Area Community Center in Rogers Park.

In such an environment, any news about building improvements is met with anxiety by tenants, Fitzgerald said.

"They think the building is not going to be fixed up for them, that it's going to be fixed up for condo owners and they're going to be displaced," he said. "People don't know where they're going to be living next week."

Ald. Joe Moore (49th) agreed more needs to be done to counteract the negative effects of condo conversions in his ward, but he added that such development has also stimulated the local economy.

"It's one of those double-edged swords," Moore said. "Obviously, there are condo conversions occurring because people want to move to Rogers Park and that is a good thing. Of course, the concern is if it's left unabated, it could threaten our neighborhood's diversity."

Moore said developers seeking city assistance in his ward are typically required to set aside at least 10 percent of whatever they build for low-income families.

But in cases where a developer does not need a zoning change or other city aid, "other than jawboning, there is not a whole lot we can do from the city's perspective," Moore said. He added that a slowing local real estate market may take care of the problem.

City housing officials said a special task force on condo conversions headed by Ald. Ray Suarez (31st) is working on recommendations for a city policy that would be implemented in 2007.

[email protected]

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #51
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

- edit
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 04:34 PM   #52
mohammed wong

there is a building proposed for the greenview and morse corner
you can find it on the broken heart of rogers park website
i think the building is called greenmoore,
the moore coming from the alderman?
it looks to be about 6 stories tall, what irks me is that it doesnt look like there will be retail on the bottom, this would replace the drugstore that was knocked down about a year ago there.

coe is infamous for the screwed up demolition, and the gas leak that ensued
afterwards.
the building is being hawked by camelot realty.

http://www.camelotrealestate.com/fin...?LISTING_ID=72

Model Open Sundays 12 to 3 Pm at 2306 W. Touhy, "The Pinewood". "The Greenmoore" - New Construction 6-story Elevator Building in HOT E. Rogers Park. 12 Luxury 2-4 BD/2/3.5 BA Simplex and Duplex Condominiums Featuring Wide Open Floors Plans, Huge Kitchen with Large Pennisula Breakfast Bar, Cherry Cabinets, Granite and Stainless Appliances. Lagre Master Suites w/ Stone Spa Baths & Walk-in Closets. Cherry Hardwood Floors Throughout. Central Heat and A/C, In-unit Washer/Dryer, Private Balconies/Decks. Garage Parking Included.

whats funny is that they got the address wrong on their website
its not 6901 n greenview
its 6957 n greenview which they get right on the floor plan,
moore is probably from morse.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:36 PM   #53
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Yeah I don't know wong.....I can't tell from the rendering if there is retail or not. I am all for dense development near L stations and I am not sure this is such a bad development..though it is pricey...it is better than that vacant lot

OK now to really get you wound up......the Adelphi theater....what the hell is going on the site seems to be sitting still for the last several months
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:01 PM   #54
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
Yeah I don't know wong.....I can't tell from the rendering if there is retail or not. I am all for dense development near L stations and I am not sure this is such a bad development..though it is pricey...it is better than that vacant lot

OK now to really get you wound up......the Adelphi theater....what the hell is going on the site seems to be sitting still for the last several months

I do like the building overall, didnt mean to give the wrong impression,
and it does look like retail could be possible later if not now,
about the adelphi site, things happen slowly in RP, but im sure something will go up there if not the original design. I am confident that a nice semitall building will go up there, we can atleast rely on the greed of the lot's owner, he probably figured taxes are cheaper on a vacant lot than an empty movie house, i guess adelphi means brothers in greek.

some good news is that there are some investors interested in fixing up cobblers square on morse, and possibly making it into a music venue/night club/restaurant type deal, which would be great,

nice photo recently on broken heart rogers park showing the police cars parked up and down on morse, thats where i keep uptodate on my area.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:32 AM   #55
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Here's the rendering, for those too lazy to click the link:

The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #56
JV

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
before the theater was demolished, a developer had renderings of an "upscale" (expensive) condo building to be built, but there has been no activity on the site, or even signs up for pre-construction sales, since the demo. i drive by this site everyday and wonder...
JV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #57
mohammed wong

Howard/Ashland Site Set For Eminent Domain

Saturday, January 06, 2007
* Howard/Ashland Site Set For Eminent Domain

City Takes Action to Force Development of Vacant Site

A 46,000 square foot parcel at Howard and Ashland in Rogers Park that once was home to the Lerner newspaper facility has sat vacant for more than 10 years. The City of Chicago, at the request of the community, has issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) for redevelopment of the site. Although the City does not own the site, they have authority through eminent domain to acquire it. The RFP will provide a much-needed push to get site development to occur.

New development on Howard Street couldn’t come at a better time. “New mixed-use development will really benefit the community,” said Amy Campbell, the Howard Street Special Service Area Manager. “Revitalization on Howard Street is linked to development on that site. The timing of the RFP also coincides with the release of the Commercial Corridor Plan for Howard Street,” said Campbell. “Developers now have a useful tool to guide their development, based on the community’s wants and needs.”

The site is within the boundaries of the Howard/Paulina Tax Increment Finance (TIF) district. TIF assistance is potentially available for proposals that demonstrate tangible public benefits, including affordable housing, new retail or environmentally sustainable features.

The aim of the RFP is to solicit proposals for commercial, residential and/or mixed-use development that comply with the new B2-3 zoning designation and are consistent with the surrounding area. Since the site is located in the Howard/Paulina TIF area, it is also subject to the vision of the TIF plan, which seeks to make the TIF redevelopment area “an important activity center contributing to the neighborhood and community focus of the Howard/Paulina Area.”

DevCorp North, the business, community and economic development organization in Rogers Park, provided the City of Chicago’s Dept. of Planning and Development with detailed information about other developments occurring on Howard Street for the RFP, including Bob Coe’s development at 1523-25 Howard and the new Gale Park Community Center being developed across the street from the site.

“The community has been waiting too long for something to happen with that site, it was time the city stepped in and took over,” said Kimberly Bares, Executive Director of DevCorp North. “That’s why DevCorp North submitted a letter of support for the City of Chicago to initially place the property on the City’s acquisition list, which was supposed to light a fire under the current owner to move forward with developing the property. When that didn’t happen, we supported the City in putting together a RFP for someone else to develop that site. Rogers Park and Howard Street deserve good development that enhances and serves the needs of the neighborhood, not vacant sites and inattentive property owners.”

A hard copy of the RFP is available at DevCorp North’s office, 1557 W Howard Street, or downtown at the Department of Planning and Development in City Hall. A pre-submittal conference will be held at 10am on January 8, 2007 in conference room 1003A of City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle. The due date for submittal to the city is February 5th.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #58
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5335

^
It would be cool if there was a high-rise residential building at Howard & Ashland, to create a quasi-symmetric "Gate to Evanston" along with the Bristol Chicago development in the 400 block of Howard in Evanston. Purple Line trains will then pass between the two towers.
Woonsocket54 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #59
mohammed wong

^ I would settle for a 3-4 or 5-6 story mixed use building at that site,
a highrise would be great, but more likely to have that happen on the evanston side of howard,

Howard is probably the last great street along with Morse
on the north side
that need a major overhaul and TIF district to speed along
their respective recoveries.
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #60
mohammed wong

Moratorium?????

Chris Adams Calls For Moratorium On Rogers Park Condo Conversions
Proposes Low Income Housing Trust Fund
By NAT SHEPPARD
published:Jan 19, 12:55 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Adams, candidate for 49th Ward Alderman, called Friday for a 12-month moratorium on new condominium conversions in Rogers Park and announced he would create a 49th Ward Low Income Housing Trust Fund – the first of its kind in Chicago – as part of a strategy to stem the decline in affordable housing in the 49th ward.

During a meeting with the Lakeside Community Development Corporation, Adams said that when elected, he would create a blanket amendment to the city’s housing ordinance that would freeze conversions for one year and allow the community to take stock of its housing situation.

“This is a pivotal time in our community,” Adams said. “We have more than 700 condominiums on the market in the 49th Ward with more conversions under way. As a community, we need to take a deep breath, evaluate where we are and make serious plans about where we want to go.

“In the meantime, I challenge Ald. Joe Moore to hold a public summit on the Ward’s affordable housing situation and begin collecting meaningful feedback on the direction the community wants to take.”

Adams' plan also would require at least one affordable housing set-aside for developments that include six to nine units and a 10 percent affordable housing set-aside for developments of 10 units or more. Developers would be required to submit formal affordable housing set-aside agreements

The Trust Fund would follow provisions already in place in the housing ordinance. Developers opting out of set-asides in the 49th Ward would contribute to the Ward fund, rather than the citywide fund. The money provides rent and mortgage relief and new affordable housing construction for qualified applicants.

Condo conversions in Rogers Park have dislocated numerous families and driven others out of the community altogether, threatening the cultural and economic diversity on which the community prides itself. Adams said Ald. Moore’s set-aside policies have been ineffective.

A report by the Lakeside Community Development Corporation linked the rapid increase in the number of new condominiums in Rogers Park to a sharp decline in rental units. According to the Lakeside report, Rogers Park has lost 3,600 rental units in just the last four years.

“The alderman has consistently presented the community with public promises of set-asides only to privately allow developers to choose less expensive alternatives, all to the detriment of the ward's affordable housing stock,” Adams said.

Adams said that under his plan developers would not be allowed to renege on set-aside agreements unless they showed actual financial distress and proof that they were pursuing all local, state and federal financing relief available to them and contributed to the Low Income Housing Trust Fund.

In its report, Lakeside Community Development Corporation recommended that the alderman use more aggressive down-zoning as a tool for community control of commercial and mixed use corridors in the ward. Adams said he would embrace the strategy and also use down-zoning to preserve lower density and the architectural integrity of neighborhoods.

“Change is an important part in the evolution of any community and there is a pressing need for our ward to evolve into a community that is better able to provide for the needs of its residents,” Adams said. “Retail, commercial and residential developments will be the driving factors in the evolution but the community has the right to oversee what’s happening and the alderman has the tools that can help.”