daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #81
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Can't the city simply condemn this property for public use?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #82
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Can't the city simply condemn this property for public use?
I would think so,
I think its a great idea, there shouldnt be lakefront that is completely taken up by condos, that was a big mistake,
there should be one continuous bike/jogging path all through chicago,
its stupid that where LSD ends there is oops just jagged rocks and ugly concrete walls.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #83
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

I really hope Friends of the Parks gets a win on this one. If you hear about any public meetings on this wong give a notice if u can.
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #84
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

For those who care for an update about the Regent Park development in West Rogers Park (off Kedzie between Devon and Pratt)- The following email had been sent out to people in the neighborhood surrounding this development:

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:31:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [CAPS2411] Urgent Meeting Tomorrow

Dear friends and neighbors,

You may not be aware that the Regent Estate property is scheduled to have a rezoning hearing tomorrow.

It is imperative that all those concerned with the safety and character of our neighborhood attend, and pass this message on to as many people as possible.

The hearing will be in City Hall, on the second floor, City Council chambers, at 1pm on Thursday.

The proposed change calls for the amount of residential units at the Regent Estate development site to be expanded from 74 to a whopping 250! The current density of the property allows approximately 6.5 residential units per acre. The proposed change would raise that to 20 units per acre. This is a density unseen in Chicago outside of areas such as Downtown, Streeterville, and the Gold Coast. The proposed rezoning changes the property to B25 zoning.

The developers propose the construction of townhomes with no backyards which they anticipate selling in the upper $500K range. There is obviously no market for this type of property in our neighborhood, yet the developers only care about making as much as possible as easily as possible. They do not care about the quality of our community.

The houses which currently stand on Regent Estate are, as most of you are aware, still vacant. This contributes to a lowering of property values in our area, as well as providing havens for crime.

The project is ill-conceived, and entirely out of character for our neighborhood. It would be detrimental to us if allowed to pass, and certainly will not benefit the community in any way.

If the rezoning is granted, and the project doesn't work out for the developer, they could then ask for any "minor" changes to the zoning, which would even allow them to build 4-story apartment buildings throughout the entire property.

It is important for as many people as possible to attend this meeting tomorrow in order that a requested continuance be granted, so that Alderman Stone will be able to hear all of the aforementioned objections, on the record.

Again, the hearing is on Thursday at 1pm at City Hall on the second floor in the City Council chambers.

Thanks for helping to keep our neighborhood a safe and beautiful one to live in.

-Anonymous local resident
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #85
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Oh boy..

This is my favorite part: The project is ill-conceived, and entirely out of character for our neighborhood. It would be detrimental to us if allowed to pass, and certainly will not benefit the community in any way.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #86
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

The original developer wanted to build multi-million dollar McMansons in this space offering to build each home custom to the buyer. He even tried boosting the concept by building a handful of em to help people understand his vision. I agree that his vision may have been a bit blurred assuming that millionaires would want to settle in West Rogers Park of all location. The only thing I can think of is that he was marketing it to the Jewish population who make that part of Chicago there home. He assumes that a rich Jew would probably want to live close to the community while enjoying the luxuries money offers. But it never caught on. Now this new developer wants to squeeze as many sellable homes into the land as possible. Now I’m all for urbanism but I’m also for harmony. And I feel both concepts don’t fit the surrounding areas very well. That particular area is more suitable for Georgians, bungalows, two flats and ever a few three flats or a courtyard apartment building

Last edited by wickedestcity; September 30th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:09 AM   #87
mohammed wong

Joe Moore takes credit for sale of 2 large problem buildings

From a mass emailing, the two major eyesore shitbox four plus one behemoths just down the street from me are finally being vacated and are sold and hopefully will be razed for something new
Found the whole thing on Broken Heart Rogers Park

New Landlords Take Over Troubled Morse/Lunt Apartments

Dear Neighbor,

I am pleased to report we scored a significant victory in our efforts to improve the safety of the Morse Avenue area. A Chicago-based real estate firm, Newcastle Limited, recently acquired 1340 W. Morse and 1345 W. Lunt, a troubled apartment complex located just east of the Morse El Station, along Glenwood Ave.

The complex consists of two apartment buildings--one fronting on Morse, the other on Lunt--and has been the site of suspected drug and gang activity for some time. An undercover police investigation last year netted several drug purchases at 1340 W. Morse, which resulted in both buildings being placed in the City's Strategic Task Force program.

The Strategic Task Force targets buildings that have been identified as "drug/gang houses or places of ongoing criminal activity." The task force consists of city lawyers, building inspectors and the police who team up to conduct top to bottom inspections of problem buildings and meet with the owners of the buildings to develop a plan for resolving the problems.

The task force can require building owners to evict problem tenants, engage in criminal background checks of prospective tenants and tenants renewing leases, and provide building security enhancements. In extreme cases, the task force can compel landlords to sell their property.

I participated in a series of meetings with the Strategic Task Force, Beat 2431 Facilitator Kevin O'Neil, the management company and a representative of the consortium that owns the buildings to develop a plan to resolve the criminal activity. I insisted the abatement plan include several items suggested by community residents, including hiring security guards to patrol the building and its perimeter during peak periods of criminal activity.

While the measures resulted in some improvements, the buildings continued to have problems. The City attorney and I strongly encouraged the owners to sell the buildings to a responsible buyer who could manage them well.

The sale to Newcastle will place the buildings in the hands of an experienced real estate advisory and investment firm with holdings throughout Chicago and its suburbs. Armed with a $500 million platform, Newcastle possesses the resources necessary to completely renovate the building, and manage it well.

The building suffers from years of neglect. Newcastle states it will keep the property as a rental apartment building, but must vacate the building to undertake the renovations necessary to make it a quality rental building

My office is currently working with the current residents of the building and the Metropolitan Tenants Organization to ensure that the tenants are treated fairly and provided assistance in locating other homes. Newcastle assures me that it will honor all leases and abide by the requirements of the Chicago Landlord-Tenant Ordinance.

This victory would not have been accomplished without the hard work of vigilant neighborhood residents, especially those who participated in the CAPS program. And of course, the 24th District Police Department played a key role in keeping the pressure on the old building owners.

Congratulations to all involved!

Sincerely,

Joe Moore

Newcastle brokered deals for Loyola at the Loyola EL stop and at the Water Tower campus and DePaul's sale of Barat College to developers.

New Contact Info for problems w/
1340 W Morse & 1345 W Lunt

Newcastle Limited
150 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 3610
Chicago, IL 60601

Phone: 312.252.1400
Fax: 312.252.1381
Email: [email protected]
Old December 4th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #88
mohammed wong

Exclusive from Broken Heart of Rogers Park blog

A meeting to review a proposal for the construction of a five-story, 24-unit condominium building with three commercial storefront spaces at 2001 W. Howard (southwest corner of Howard and Damen).

The meeting will take place tonight, 7:00 p.m., at the Pottawattomie Park Fieldhouse, 7340 N. Rogers.

Building owner Gus Rizakos, his architect, Irene Zemenides and his attorney, Sylvia Michas, will present the plans. The meeting on this proposed development originally was scheduled last June, but was postponed due to a serious illness in the architect's family.

The lot is 13,038 square feet in size and is zoned B1-2. A commercial building, which houses the Tastee Sub fast food restaurant and several storefront churches, currently occupies the site and would be demolished to make way for the new development.

The current zoning would permit the construction of 13 dwelling units. The owner is requesting a zoning change to B1-3, which would allow him to construct up to 32 dwelling units. His proposal calls for only 24 dwelling units.

Blognotes #1: Expect a real barn-burner tonight. Alderman Rainey is busing in her people from Evanston who have had enough with the problems and crime that this property and the people who hang out there have caused Evanston residents.

Blognotes #2: Long, long ago, a one-time Rogers Park blogger, who has since pulled the plug on blogging, blogged about this neighborhood eyesore.

it was posted NOV 27th

http://bp3.blogger.com/_NYpMerQgcHU/...Elevations.jpg
thats the pic
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #89
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

I think the Loyola expansion is getting underway south of the El station. Its about time.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #90
Dre625

Likes (Received): 88

Yes it is good to see that get started. Originally they had a date of Fall 2008 for completion but it seems highly unlikely. I have been curious about the status of phase two of the Station. I came across this link but have heard no news from Loyola or the newspaper about this:

http://www.bkvgroup.com/portfolio.cf...Loyola_Station
Dre625 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #91
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre625 View Post
Yes it is good to see that get started. Originally they had a date of Fall 2008 for completion but it seems highly unlikely. I have been curious about the status of phase two of the Station. I came across this link but have heard no news from Loyola or the newspaper about this:

http://www.bkvgroup.com/portfolio.cf...Loyola_Station
^ Here are the renderings from that site. Which of these is about to being construction?

Old January 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #92
Dre625

"Here are the renderings from that site. Which of these is about to being construction?"

Current construction involves phase 1 (see previous drawings on this thread for that).
These are for phase 2 but do not know if they are official as of yet. They definitely would bring some excitement to that area--especially to Loyola Ave. and the bare parking lot on Albion. If they filled that area up with students, I think some cool retail could follow. It may serve as a bit of a catalyst project for Devon/Sheridan extending north on Sheridan and West down Devon.

On a side note, I know the views and results on TIF's are mixed. I do, however, think that TIF is starting to show some progress on Devon. I think that that street is a great one ready for some cool retail in the next 5 years (in the past 6 months they have added Stellas coffee, Uncommon Ground, and several facades are being re-done).
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #93
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Nice! I walked by this site yesterday and I was surprised that they were finally going to start this thing.
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #94
The Urban Politician
The City

I gather that this is what's U/C right now:

Old January 21st, 2008, 05:47 PM   #95
mohammed wong

too bad they didnt use the original plans
because they wouldve saved the facade of that nice
2 story building and its a better looking building

the new building is bland but okay
i guess they wanted more floors
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM   #96
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I'm willing to trade the old building for the increased density around the transit station. It can only be beneficial for CTA when clusters of 7-8 story buildings pop up around their platforms.

It's not like the replacement is THAT bad. Yeah, it is a little bland, but it does come up to the street and have retail at the base. Phase 2 is better (what TUP posted).
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:06 AM   #97
Dre625

I am with you Ardecilia.

By the way the new Information Commons on Loyola's Lake shore is complete and open. It is a rather remarkable building with fantastic views of the lake (one of the few Loyola buildings that takes advantage of such a view).

http://www.luc.edu/ic/index.shtml
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #98
mohammed wong

Developer gets loan for project near Loyola

(Crain’s) — Chicago developer Daniel McCaffery has obtained construction financing for a $54.5-million retail/apartment project on an uninspired stretch of Sheridan Road in Rogers Park, a step in a plan to boost the area near Loyola University Chicago.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=28057

v okay tis done

Last edited by mohammed wong; February 8th, 2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #99
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Dude, that's a Crains article. They won't be happy with how you posted that. I'd post a link and erase all be the first few lines of that post
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #100
mohammed wong

Copied in full from Broken Heart (cuz nocares if i cherry pick this direct)

Dear Neighbor,

I am writing to invite you to attend a meeting to review a proposal for the construction of a three-story, 23-unit condominium development at 7525 N. Wolcott. The site is currently occupied by Amber Automotive, an automobile repair business.

The meeting will take place on Monday, February 11th, 7:00 p.m., at Jordan Community School, 7414 N. Wolcott.

Dan Schwegel, who owns both the property and the auto repair business, will present the proposal. He will be joined by his architect, Roula Alakiotou, and his attorney, William Hennessey.

The lot is 16,145 square feet in size and is zoned C1-2. Mr. Schwegel proposes to close his auto repair business and re-adapt the existing building to a residential use. The current zoning would permit the construction of 16 dwelling units. The owner is requesting a zoning change to RM4.5, which would allow him to construct 23 dwelling units.

I am interested in hearing your views on the proposed development before I decide whether or not to support the zoning change. If you are unable to attend the meeting, please share your thoughts by replying to this e-mail or calling my office at 773-338-5796.

Sincerely,

Joe Moore (49th ward alderman)

to see rendering click here and scroll down
http://morsehellhole.blogspot.com/

(political contributions to grease the wheels are as follows from broken heart)

Blognotes: Call it 'pay to play'. Call it 'hint of possible influence'. Call it a Infomercial. Whatever you want to call it, looks like Joe Moore and his political machine are going to pocket some $2500 dollars on the deal.

Schwegel, Daniel
Chicago, IL 60626
$500.00
6/27/2005 Individual Contribution
Democratic Party of the 49th Ward

Schwegel, Daniel
7525 N. Wolcott
Chicago, IL 60626
Employer: Self
$1,000.00
10/17/2006 Individual Contribution
Democratic Party of the 49th Ward

Schwegel, Daniel
7525 N. Wolcott
Chicago, IL 60626
$500.00
3/2/2006 Individual Contribution
Citizens for Joe Moore

Amber Automotive
7523-25 N. Wolcott
Chicago, IL 60626
$250.00
Individual Contribution
Citizens for Joe Moore

Amber Automotive
7523-25 N. Wolcott
Chicago, IL 60626
$250.00
Individual Contribution
Citizens for Joe Moore

(sidenote if you map this you will see its really an odd location for an auto repair shop
saw this for the first time just recently, I think most people would think its improvement
over having an auto repair shop in the MIDDLE of your residential block, but
it will be sad to lose such a weird business)

Last edited by mohammed wong; February 12th, 2008 at 10:09 AM.