daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #101
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

^ now the alderman says the project is on hold
since the developer wouldnt give guarantees
to develop the land as shown in the rendering

from broken heart rogers park
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:31 PM   #102
mohammed wong

Foreclosure suit filed on Rogers Park condo conversion

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=28276
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #103
mohammed wong

morse theatre

Bringing jazz to Rogers Park: Will people follow?
New venue in the Morse Theatre the product of cultural entrepreneurs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,6768879.story

talks about 6 million dollar investment in old
morse theatre
pretty cool, just steps from my place
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #104
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
Bringing jazz to Rogers Park: Will people follow?
New venue in the Morse Theatre the product of cultural entrepreneurs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,6768879.story

talks about 6 million dollar investment in old
morse theatre
pretty cool, just steps from my place
I am impressed by their guts. How can they afford that? If they are successul they deserve some sort of medal.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #105
Dre625

Likes (Received): 88

Loyola Building News

Here is a link to news on building going on at Loyola--Water tower and Lakeshore campus. The work on Loyola station phase 1 seems to be moving full steam ahead.

http://media.www.loyolaphoenix.com/m...-3345514.shtmlhttp://http://media.www.loyolaphoeni...-3345514.shtml
Dre625 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #106
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

So they are going to build another tower down there? Or is the "clair on steroids" the same as the clair? And if so...that is awesome!
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #107
koolreg89

Likes (Received): 0

Anyone got any new info about Loyola Station? I am an undergrad at Loyola and haven't been on campus since May, so I'm wondering if anyone knows about possible retail on the lower level?
koolreg89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #108
Dre625

Likes (Received): 88

Rogers Park Development

It has been quiet on this thread. I just thought I would bring up all of the recent development occurring in RPARK and having a noticeable effect: Loyola Station Phase I is taking shape and filling what was parking lots and a former pancake house, Morse Street is finally starting to turn the corner with new retail and new residential, Howard West of the Red Line station has some successful retail and a 20 story new building, Jarvis Square with some great retail and entertainment has brought life to the center of RPark , and Devon Avenue from Broadway to Clark--with new retail, multiple new midscale and upscale restaurants are finally drawing students up from LU. All of this in the past two years! What will Rogers Park look like in the next 5 years? Though there are still problem areas, I am finally convinced that the fixation of some of the bloggers in the neighborhood on crime is THEIR obsession. Crime exists indeed, but having lived here the past 10 years...Rogers Park has never been better. RPark's density with its 68,000 people will certainly have crime. But look at the amount of people walking around the neighborhood today and up and down the beaches. It has doubled or tripled in the past three years. This leads to more social capital and more safety. The best is yet to come!
Dre625 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #109
mohammed wong

Mile of Murals on Glenwood

Mile of Murals on Glenwood

As part of the comprehensive commercial revitalization plan put in place by DevCorp North, the second phase of the Mile of Murals project is being implemented. In March, after receiving final approval from the CTA and the support of Alderman Moore’s office, DevCorp North and the Clark/Morse/Glenwood Special Service Area (SSA #24) began preparing the retaining wall for a mural on the west side of Glenwood between Morse and Lunt. The design theme is “Welcome to Rogers Park”.

The first phase of the Mile of Murals project involved the painting of the Morse El viaduct with a colorful mural identifying the neighborhood. The second phase continues to strengthen the Glenwood Avenue Arts District brand, brighten the community and draw attention to district.

The artists selected - Rahamaan Barnes and Max Sansing - both were born and raised in Rogers Park. Many community residents have commented that the colorful sketches on the wall are giving Glenwood Avenue new life.

DevCorp North and SSA #24 hope to have the mural ready by the 2009 Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest in August 2009

Just thought i would post a reply to A boost this nice thread back up from oblivion
and B to point out that something is still going on in Rogers Park
the extended mural from morse to lunt along the el on the west side along glenwood is really taking shape and looking great

I love the glenwood street festival in august and it keeps getting better every year
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #110
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=33837

CVS appears to be tenant in project near Loyola
CVS Caremark is apparently the first retail tenant in the Morgan, a 152-unit apartment and retail project in Rogers Park near Loyola University Chicago being developed by McCaffery Interests Inc. The store will be roughly 9,235 square feet. The Woonsocket, R.I.-based drugstore chain has put up a sign on the project, located at the corner of West Arthur Avenue and North Sheridan Road, next to the Loyola Red Line CTA station.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #111
mohammed wong

Article about the new Morgan Building

The Morgan brings green living to Rogers Park
YOUR HOME | Development also features luxury amenities, diverse neighborhood
Comments

April 29, 2009
BY CELESTE BUSK [email protected]

Renters looking for a brand new apartment development in the Rogers Park neighborhood can head to the Morgan at Loyola Station.

The luxury 5.4-acre development, at 1209 W. Arthur, will welcome the first renters in May. The posh complex is a mixed-use development featuring two buildings with 152 rental apartments, 33,000 square feet of retail space and 195 garage parking stalls.

for more click here
http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/e...unt30a.article

other info

What: The Morgan at Loyola Station, 1209 W. Arthur

Rents: Convertibles, 1- to 2-bedrooms from $1,119 to $1,823

Amenities: Landscaped roof terrace with grills and fireplace; club room; fitness room; bike storage; concierge services

Info: Call (773) 465-9400; www.morganatloyola station.com
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #112
mohammed wong

Rogers Park Art Walk

(Boosterism i know) I have to booster for RP, I live here

Rogers Park Art Walk a Big Success, More to Follow
Arts

By James Ginderske

Hotei Art Gallery’s first Art Walk event was so successful that they plan to do several others this summer.

According to Hotei Creative Director Dahveed Kneeshack, over 200 people came through the various galleries and bars that welcomed arts patrons to the May 16 event.

Seven locations up and down Morse and Glenwood Avenues took part in the event, and Gallery B1E on Glenwood coordinated a fire dancing display as well.

“I have some friends who are usually in Pilsen and they said it kind of reminded them of what they do in Pilsen.” Kneeshack said. (Pilsen is a well known arts community on the south side of Chicago.)

Hotei is also planning a movie night once a month. The first is scheduled for Wednesday, June 24 at 9pm, after their “Laughter Yoga” program. Additionally, beginning on June 4, Hotei will be opening its doors to anyone who wishes to work on an art project “to enjoy the supporting creative atmosphere” at a working art gallery, according to Dahveed. The hours for that weekly activity will be from 3 to 11 pm, with BYOB welcomed after 7 pm.

Hotei’s second Art Walk will be on June 20, starting at 6 pm and feature the same mix of galleries, neighborhood bars, music, refreshments, and fire dancing. Different entertainers and the always shifting groups of artists that support Hotei will also be featured.

“It’s about letting people know Rogers Park isn’t dead.” says Kneeshack. “This is a diverse cultural community and we want to help revive the urban art culture using local artists and by displaying local artist’s work.”

An interesting sidebar is the zeal with which the Hotei and Gallery B1E teams are supporting the Morse-Glenwood Arts District. Gallery B1E owner Andy Delarosa, in addition to his numerous striking displays of public art, is planning to set up artists this summer on Morse avenue, just to work on paintings or other medium out on the street to enhance the general artistic ambiance of the area.

While more formal neighborhood entities are generally supportive of these efforts, the somewhat unorthodox or “guerrilla” nature of the combined initiatives is bringing a fresh authenticity and force to the arts district. It’s the kind of hard-to-quantify feeling that has always underpinned developing art “scenes” and which appears to be taking hold in East Rogers Park.

The collection of area live theater, nightlife, and cultural diversity, combined with artists pushing the envelope and marketing not just their own work but that of everything else in their community has the potential to yield results far beyond the impact of any solitary arts endeavor.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:47 AM   #113
mohammed wong

New Retail on Paulina!

The Recyclery rolls into new Rogers Park home

A community bicycle shop and repair center in Evanston is relocating to a storefront in neighboring Rogers Park, increasing its visibility and access to the public.

Volunteers are helping move The Recyclery to 7628 N. Paulina Street this week. Before the move, the shop's Evanston operations were split between two donated basement spaces at 735 Reba Place and 713 Steward Street.

The move to the new Rogers Park location will give the shop space to sell bikes from the storefront, instead of at remote locations in Evanston and Chicago.

Staff member Sharlyn Grace, 23, hopes a single retail shop and better visibility will make The Recyclery more accessible to the public.

Visitors often have trouble finding the workshop center and mistakenly end up at the administrative office, she says.

The Recyclery receives bike donations from individuals, and repairs them for resale. It also regularly hosts bike building and repair workshops free of charge to anyone who is interested.

The Recyclery operates under a sponsor, RPF Ministries, and is in the process of getting non-profit status. Only one of its two part-time staff members is paid. The organization relies heavily on the volunteer support of bike enthusiasts.

The cost for a bike at the store ranges between $30 and $100, but the average bike sells for $70.

With the move, Grace says she expects more business to come from walk-by traffic. Currently most people find The Recyclery by word-of-mouth or through its websites and MySpace page, she says.

Volunteer Alex Añón is an avid rider who discovered the The Recyclery this past winter just as discussions on relocating began.

Añón just so happens to be an architect and volunteered to design the store’s layout and benches.

“We are lucky to have Alex,” Grace says. “I have no idea how we would have done it without him.”

Añón, who lives in Evanston with his wife and four young sons, decided 15 years ago to sell the family's car. The Añóns rely on public transportation, taxis, carpools, walking, and - of course - their bikes.

“People may think it's a radical lifestyle,” Añón says, “but it's possible.”

Before moving to the United States, Añón worked in a bicycle shop in Uruguay. One customer in particular came to his shop twice a month to have the same tire repaired each time.

Añón doesn't know if the man could or couldn't afford new equipment but says repairing and rebuilding perfectly functional things "is a different mindset."

In the United States, someone would have bought a new bike or a least a new tire, Añón says.

Añón does not know exactly how much his family is saving by not owning a car but he guesses it is a substantial amount.

According to the most recent U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Expenditure Survey, Americans spent an average of $8,758 on vehicle ownership in 2007, including $2,384 elusively for gas and motor oil purchases.

This figure does not include other miscellaneous expenses such as auto insurance or maintenance and repair costs. Those purchases added about $2,000 more.

On the other hand, the average person spent $538 on public transportation

This is interesting article in discussing cost of public and bike transit versus just bicycle et. al.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM   #114
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=34255

Construction

Cell phone company T-Mobile USA Inc. is planning a 2,525-square foot store in the Morgan at Loyola Station, a two-building project by McCaffery Interests Inc. in Rogers Park. The store will be in the first-floor retail space of the 152-unit apartment building at 1209 W. Arthur Ave. T-Mobile is the second retailer to lease space at the project, after CVS Caremark Corp. signed a deal for 9,235 square feet in the parking structure across Arthur from the residential building.

---
I believe that Five Guys burgers is opening a restaurant in the Morgan too.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #115
mohammed wong

NEW 400 theatre is open (was old Village North)

I left my heart in the 400 Theater, and my gum under the seat
June 26th - 12:40 p.m.

When I was 22 years old a friend and I moved into a second-floor apartment at the northwest corner of Pratt and Sheridan in Rogers Park. For a yahoo just out of college, it was the perfect place to live. We'd sit on our balcony drinking beer and watching girls walk by, and we'd invite them up to join us (they never did). Or we'd take our cheap guitars, walk a couple blocks east to the beach, drink beer, jam, and hope the cops wouldn't bust us (they never did).

But for me, the best part about living there was the movie theater across the street—the 400—which played second-run features and cost only a couple bucks. The place didn't serve beer, but it didn't need to, because I could hang around at my place until 9:29 and be in my seat watching the opening credits at 9:30. I must have gone to the 400 at least once a week; when the theater ran Pee Wee's Big Adventure, my roommate and I saw it three or four times.

I'm more than twice as old now, and the 400 has been around the block a few times too: it became the Village North Theater for a while, then shut down. Tonight, following a $4 million renovation by developer Tony Fox, it reopens as the New 400 Theater. Screening this week are Up, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, and, uh, The Hangover.
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #116
mohammed wong

Well the new 400 isnt open yet.

Stopped by there today and its got a sign posted
saying that due to unforseen problems
it wont be open until July First.

Five guys and CVS almost open too.

Good to see some retail on sheridan coming back to life.

While walking today on sheridan saw some cops hustling some real shady characters as well.
The Four plus one next to Chipotle is getting renovated, atleast half is, one entrance is closed, the north one
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:20 AM   #117
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

I actually went to go see the Hangover last night in the 400, it's not done yet but it is a lot better then what used to be there, everyone I know called it the ghetto-plex. lol
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #118
mohammed wong

Old firehouse on Greenleaf to house Historical Society

Learn what the RP/WR Historical Society plans for the old firehouse
The Rogers Park/West Ridge Historical Society and 49th Ward Alderman Joe Moore will host a community meeting to present their vision for a new permanent home in the former firehouse near Clark & Greenleaf.

Monday, July 13
7:00 p.m.
United Church of Rogers Park, 2nd Floor Gallery, 1545 W. Morse (at Ashland). (Note new location).

Just found this entry on rogerspark.net, I know it already happened.
But I had heard from a firefighter that this was happening
and just wanted some confirmation.
Also I noticed more Murals going up on Glenwood
now from estes to greenleaf. Notsure why it hasnt happened from greenleaf to lunt yet.

If you click the link below you can see
what the firehouse will look like
http://rpwrhs.org/
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #119
mohammed wong

Miles of murals saves summer camp!

'Mile of Murals' in Rogers Park saves summer camp for young artists
Local businesses fund Rogers Park project for neighborhood children

By Jennifer Day
Special to the Tribune

August 26, 2009

Miriam and Nancy Sanchez gaze across the street at the new mural running along the elevated train line's concrete underbelly in Rogers Park. The two girls, ages 12 and 11, respectively, take turns listing their favorite parts: the big gothic letters that spell the word "origins"; the sunny beach scene; the zooming arrows that link the mural's theme of Rogers Park past and present.

"If I was an artist," Miriam says, but her summer camp teacher Chandra Clark cuts her off.

"Not if. You are an artist," Clark says.

The Sanchezes are two of 80 children who helped paint the mural, a project that was key to keeping the Howard Area Community Center's summer camp open. When funding cuts threatened the community center's youth program, the Rogers Park Business Alliance came up with a scheme: Why not hire the center -- and its summer campers -- to paint a blocklong neighborhood mural?

The organizations entered into a $36,000 contract that saved the summer camp and led to the completion of the second in a series of 11 planned neighborhood murals, said Kimberly Bares, executive director of the business alliance.

The newest portion of the "Mile of Murals" project runs along Glenwood Avenue between Greenleaf and Estes Avenues.

"It was the perfect opportunity to marry local resources and local talent," Bares said.

"The project itself fit into our curriculum," said Pamela Barnet, executive director of the community center.

And the kids thought it was pretty cool. Clark said it was popular with boys and girls among all ages.

Artists Dustin Harris, Lea Pinsky and Ingrid Swenson designed the mural to include two phrases linking past and present: "Connect Origins to Destinations" and "Reveal Roots to Respect." They drew on research from the Rogers Park-West Ridge Historical Society and input from summer campers.

The artists brought images to the kids and asked them to pick their favorites to build collages.

One child's collage juxtaposed an older photo and newer photo of a newspaper salesman who worked in the neighborhood for 50 years -- an idea that found its way into the mural.

"People are really responding to the mural," said Pinsky, who is married to Harris and lives in West Rogers Park.

Neighbors even pitched in by running an extension cord from their building when the camp needed electricity to project design images on the concrete wall, and Trilogy Behavioral Healthcare opened its doors to campers who needed to use the bathroom.

Bares said the project used tax dollars from the Clark/Morse/Glenwood Special Service Area No. 24, a city of Chicago-designated district that levies additional property taxes for local development. The goal was beautification, but she said the project did more than that: It employed local artists and offered neighborhood children an opportunity to get involved.

"So often the stories we hear are about how kids are up to no good, how they're a nuisance, a menace," Bares said. "This is a shining example of what happens when the community reaches out. Kids can do amazing things."

And for the community center, the project made a big difference.

"It turned out to be a beautiful project for the kids," Barnet said, "and it saved our summer camp."
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:26 PM   #120
mohammed wong

making space for cabs

Making space for cabs
North Side wards may let drivers park overnight on street
Comments

September 28, 2009

The City Council traffic committee is expected to give a break to cab drivers Tuesday by allowing them to park overnight on business streets on the Far North Side.

Cab drivers are forbidden to park on residential streets or on streets with retail businesses between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. in all but the 46th ward. A change in the law will allow cabbies in the 49th and 50th wards to park on business streets overnight.

The Chicago City Council traffic committee is expected to give a break to cab drivers tomorrow by allowing them to park overnight on business streets on the far north side.

CTA slates 3 public meetings on 'Circle Line' 10-day project shuts 159th Street ramp

This is important because a lot of cab drivers live in those wards, which include the immigrant-heavy Rogers Park neighborhood, according to the United Taxidrivers Community Council.

Drivers who work 16-hour shifts and don't have private garages don't have a place to park at night unless they park on an industrial street, which may mean a long, dangerous walk home, according to the UTCC.

"Unfortunately, our bedrooms aren't big enough for our cabs," said Javaid Ahmed, a driver in the 49th ward.

Ahmed said the ordinance against parking cabs on business streets was rarely enforced. But this year, the cash-strapped city started handing out $25 tickets. "It's costing us more than our rent," Ahmed said.

Ald. Joe Moore (49th) said he thinks the request to park overnight on business streets was "reasonable" and would not infringe on other ward residents.

"The drivers made a very compelling case that it's very difficult, with the kind of shifts they work, to try to find parking," Moore said.

Cab drivers are also pushing for eased parking rules in the 48th Ward. The full council will vote on the parking amendment next week.

Meanwhile, cab drivers have asked the City Council for a 22 percent fare hike, along with other extras such as a $50 clean-up fee imposed on passengers who vomit in the back of the cab. To prove they needed the hike, drivers offered the council a University of Chicago survey showing that they're working 13 hours a day for $4.38 an hour.