daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #221
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Ronald McDonald House coming to Streeterville
Opening 5th Chicago area guest house for hospital patients' families

November 10, 2010
BY CHERYL V. JACKSON [email protected]

Don't be misled by the 14 stories.

Home will be where the height is come 2012, when the Ronald McDonald House opens in the Streeterville neighborhood, builders say.

"This has been a labor of love," architect Joe Antunovich of Antunovich Associates said Tuesday at the ceremonial groundbreaking at 211 E. Grand. The actual groundbreaking is set for Feb. 1. "It will be a house, a home, a place built with love that through its design says, 'Welcome, come on in and stay awhile.'"

http://www.suntimes.com/business/288...nald10.article

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #222
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Ronald McDonald House
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #223
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

What new building is going to be developed on the former site of the VA Lakeside Hospital?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #224
elguero

Likes (Received): 0

Will be NMH related; what I believe I've heard is that the west side of the block will be used for a a new primarily outpatient tower. Possibly some new same-day surgery ORs as well?
elguero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #225
spyguy
Expert

Fourth Presbyterian is preparing to demolish this addition (as well as others not pictured) for their new Gensler-designed building:

Last edited by spyguy; February 17th, 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #226
spyguy
Expert

New Children's Memorial Hospital
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #227
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

Chicago Architecture Blog has a big fat update on the Prentice Women's Hospital situation.

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...cago-hospital/

At a SOAR meeting last night, Northwestern revealed that it already has demolition contractors lined up, and is eager to get started tearing it down.

Quote:
When it comes to buildings and land use in Chicago’s Streeterville neighborhood, the three most powerful factors are the mayor’s office, the alderman, and SOAR. All three are used to getting what they want. But Mayor Daley is gone, the alderman doesn’t have any legal standing to block the demolition, and Northwestern just told SOAR to go suck an egg.
In case you're unsure which building is Prentice:

Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #228
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Burberry Store begins its transformation into a "flagship" store:

Old July 25th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #229
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Burberry Store begins its transformation into a "flagship" store:
According to the Chicago Architecture Blog, that's not Burberry's scaffolding. It's the AOA Building protecting itself from Burberry: http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...-to-tear-down/

Also, the Chicago store has always been a flagship store (and has a store number of something like #3 to go with it). Flagship status isn't based on the building design, but on the merchandise for sale inside. As with most retail chains, not every store gets all the good stuff.
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #230
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

If the cloverleaf part of the original Prentice Hospital had 20 or more floors, I wouldn't even think about demolishing a skyscraper like that. I would normally be against the demolition of a "green" building, also. But in real life, the cloverleaf portion has only seven floors. The blog has outlined several reasons why the building should be saved and why the building should not be saved. If the original Prentice Hospital were saved, then it would end up a white elephant, so demolition is the only option to maintain profitability. Landmarks like this have to pass away to make way. If the original Prentice Hospital is demolished, then all of its materials are to be recycled.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #231
untitledreality

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
so demolition is the only option to maintain profitability.
If its all about profitability maybe Chicago should start taxing Northwestern's property? I'm guessing they wouldn't like that... so the city gets a say.

Failure to develop a effective adaptive reuse plan speaks to the lack of ingenuity of active parties, not to the building itself.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #232
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

New posting on the Rehab Institute Parking Lot fence.

This property was swapped to Golub by RHI in return for the old CBS studio site where RHI is planning to build its new building.

Golub developed the two Streeter apartment buildings across McClurg from this property.

Public Notice
Address: 400-18 East Grand Ave., 529-49 North McClurg Ct., 401-29 East Ohio Street

On 7-28-2011, an application was filed by GHB 630 LLC, 625 N Michigan Ave, 60611 to change DX-12 Downtown Mixed-use district to residential Business Planned Development to allow for a proposed 452 feet 42 story apartment building containing 443 dwelling units with ground level retail and a 135 feet 10 story apartment building containing 87 dwelling units with ground level retail with 297 on-site parking spaces.

Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #233
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The apartment tower is to the south (Grand) while the low-rise portion faces Ohio

The good news is that at least from the north and the south sides you won't see a huge parking garage.
Old September 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #234
i_am_hydrogen
muted

From SSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^Speaking of which, here are some better renderings of the new Golub buildings.

I created a thread for this project. Please continue any discussion of it here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1439537

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; September 6th, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #235
MWR

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
If the cloverleaf part of the original Prentice Hospital had 20 or more floors, I wouldn't even think about demolishing a skyscraper like that. I would normally be against the demolition of a "green" building, also. But in real life, the cloverleaf portion has only seven floors. The blog has outlined several reasons why the building should be saved and why the building should not be saved. If the original Prentice Hospital were saved, then it would end up a white elephant, so demolition is the only option to maintain profitability. Landmarks like this have to pass away to make way. If the original Prentice Hospital is demolished, then all of its materials are to be recycled.
I think that the Prentice Hospital should be converted to a Senior Nursing Home/Assisted Living Home.
MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #236
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Northwestern Scales Back Streeterville Skyscraper Scheme

Quote:

Northwestern Memorial Hospital, which has been on a construction binge for much of the last decade, is moving ahead with plans for its newest skyscraper — a 24-story building at 259 East Erie Street.

The institution presented a revised plan for the building to a meeting of neighbors this past Tuesday. Officially it will be known as The Northwestern Memorial Hospital Outpatient Care Pavilion. According to Crain’s Chicago Business, “the centerpiece of the building will be a Musculoskeletal Institute, which will occupy four floors and offer specialties such as orthopedics and neurology.”

The new plan has been scaled back from the one previously floated. The building has been reduced in height by one story, and the floor space has been trimmed by 57,000 square feet. The building will now be just under 404 feet tall, about the same as the new Children’s Memorial Hospital and the office building at 215 East Erie Street.

Northwestern has already started demolition of the existing buildings in this location, and wants to finish the new building by the end of 2014, It argues in its Streeterville Fact Sheet that president Obama’s health care reform efforts make the new building necessary. ”Today, the demand for healthcare in Streeterville exceeds the available space. This will only be exacerbated when healthcare reform is fully implemented in 2014. “
Here are the highlights:

•Addresses: 240 East Ontario Street and 259 East Erie Street
•993,000 square feet
•575-space parking garage
•8 floors of offices
•2 floors “public” and retail space
•Connected to other hospital buildings by skybridges
•Drive-though access
•Aiming for LEED status

---
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #237
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Status Update: Children’s Memorial Hospital

Quote:
From most angles, the new Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Memorial Hospital (225 East Chicago Avenue) appears done, but there is still much work to be done. The facade was officially completed in February, but the ground floor remains hidden behind a wall of blue-painted plywood.

The public portions of the building are expected to be completed later this month, along with the new sidewalk planters, traffic signals, and pavement.

The official opening of the hospital is scheduled for June, 2012.
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #238
VISITANTE_ONLINE

Likes (Received): 3

Grat projects...
VISITANTE_ONLINE no está en línea   Reply With Quote