daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #81
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

New possibilities?

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder04.article

Hunt for space in Streeterville
Several sites in running for sizable Ronald McDonald House

July 4, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER

Doug Porter knows his hunt for space in Streeterville won't be cheap. But by about 2011, he wants a building in that hot neighborhood where he can put up 80 to 100 families per night. His need creates an interesting dynamic for the area's development.

Porter is chief executive of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana, which provides free or low-cost lodging for families visiting their hospitalized children. He wants a location near the new Children's Memorial Hospital.

One intriguing option is the old Lakeshore Athletic Club, 850 N. Lake Shore Drive, which is under contract for a $40 million sale to a developer who wants to tear it down. Porter said he is aware of the building and that it is probably too large to suit his purposes. But if preservationists successfully stop the teardown, the McDonald's-backed charity could be part of a partnership to reuse the building.

Porter said other sites that have drawn his attention include 155 E. Superior, the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago. The archdiocese intends to sell the property.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #82
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Is the tide turning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Alderman opposes demolition of Lake Shore Athletic Club
(Crain’s) — Alderman Brendan Reilly says he wants to save the Lake Shore Athletic Club building, and has brokered a 60-day delay for the proposed demolition.

Northwestern University, which owns the facility at 850 N. Lake Shore Drive, has a contract to sell the building to Chicago developer Fifield Cos., which has plans to build a new condominium building there.

Reilly, who wouldn’t previously disclose his position, in a press release Tuesday says he believes the building can and should be saved.

“Throughout this process, Northwestern and Fifield have argued there is absolutely no economically viable re-use option that could save the Lake Shore Athletic Club from demolition,” Reilly says in the statement. “Frankly, I am not persuaded by that argument. After meeting with many experienced architects, zoning attorneys, developers and urban planning consultants, I believe economically viable re-use options do, in fact, exist.”

Fifield agreed to pay Northwestern more than $40 million for the building, which has sat vacant for several years after the university stopped using it as a dorm.

Fifield president Rick Cavenaugh says a planned development agreement put in place when a new condo tower was built nearby restricts re-use of the Lake Shore Athletic building to residential. Mr. Cavenaugh says he’s confident that another buyer won’t be able to come up with a viable alternative.
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #83
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

^Fifield president Rick Cavenaugh says a planned development agreement put in place when a new condo tower was built nearby restricts re-use of the Lake Shore Athletic building to residential.

So, Fifield can't renovate the LSA for residential because of a "planned development agreement", but Fifield can raze the LSA for a bigger residential building? WTF?

Otherwise, great news. Reilly is drawing a line in the sand.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #84
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

No, it means they HAVE to renovate it for residential - no other uses are allowed. Their argument is that they cannot renovate it for residential, ergo demolition and replacement.

I think that's a ton of BS... and how can a PD include such restrictions? A lodging/hotel use like the Ronald McDonald House seems like a fair re-use, although I don't know if a charity could afford the exorbitant costs this building must require.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #85
wrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
No, it means they HAVE to renovate it for residential - no other uses are allowed. Their argument is that they cannot renovate it for residential, ergo demolition and replacement.

I think that's a ton of BS... and how can a PD include such restrictions? A lodging/hotel use like the Ronald McDonald House seems like a fair re-use, although I don't know if a charity could afford the exorbitant costs this building must require.
Yes - I understand that Reilly is against demolition - what perplexes me is Fifield's argument that they can't renovate for residential because of a "prior" agreement (with whom, themselves?), but that a new, bigger building for residential is somehow OK.

And where is NWU in all of this? They have some say in who they sell to. Is Streeterville just too far from Evanston for them to care at all?

Last edited by wrabbit; July 18th, 2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #86
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Northwestern wants a windfall profit that they do not deserve. They knew that this was an historic building when they bought it. Even if they have to sell it for reuse, they will make a huge profit. There are several developers waiting in the wings to reuse the building once preservation is assured.

Reilly is wise to block the demolition. There a lot of people in that area who would not forget this issue...ever...if he allows the demolition. He has the power to stop it. Let's hope that he sticks to his guns.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #87
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

They put these signs up the other day. Has anyone seen any renderings of what Children's Memorial's new building is going to look like?

By chi_man, shot with DMC-FX07 at 2007-07-13
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #88
Chiman

deleted.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; July 17th, 2007 at 04:33 AM. Reason: We are not allowed to post information from that website.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #89
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

it may have been discussed
but what is going up at where bang and olufsen's
old store, nice to see that waste of space
getting demod.
its the one at oak street and rush.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #90
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I think it's the new flagship store for Barneys New York, but there are one or two other Oak St developments going on, too, so I could be wrong.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #91
MWR

Likes (Received): 0

PESHTIGO

A new 57 condo building at Peshtigo and LSD by Related Midwest (LR Realty).

Web Sites: http://www.buildingcomedy.com/ and http://www.buildingdrama.com/

Last edited by MWR; July 22nd, 2007 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #92
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

Images, please!!!!!!!!!! We're dying to see what this looks like!!!
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #93
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

BTW, it's "Peshtigo", like the street it'll be built on.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #94
richardsonhomebuyers

This is not new, they have been working on it for sometime now. I think Perkins is the architect. And I think this is Parcel 24. Could be wrong about the last part but pretty sure I'm not.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:08 PM   #95
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Lake Shore Athletic Club

Some of you might have seen the article about the Lake Shore Athletic Club in this week's Skyline. Nothing new...just restating that Alderman Reilly opposes demolition.

The Skyline article mentioned, in part, "....Reilly took office on May 21. At that time, Preservation Chicago requested that he recommend the building for landmark designation. Neighbors also began writing to Reilly, and Preservation Chicago and a residents group, the Lake Shore Preservation Group, collected more than 900 signatures of those opposed. In June, residents and preservationists demonstrated in front of the club, with some protesters dressed as athletes, including kayakers, runners, weightlifters, and referees."

It was great to see several of you SSC forumers at that rally. I had a great time, except I bumped my head on that guy's kayak.

Let's hope Alderman Reilly sticks to his guns.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:58 AM   #96
MWR

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
BTW, it's "Peshtigo", like the street it'll be built on.
Thanks for the spelling correction. I did not know until recently that the street was named after a Wisconsin town that burned downed on the same day of the Chicago Fire in October 8,1871.

I do not have a picture, but saw a drawing earlier this year. The building is square, but rotated 45 degrees to take advantage of the Northeast and Southeast views of the Lake.
MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:47 AM   #97
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

You mean it'll be EXACTLY like River East Center?

We don't need TWO rotated buildings here.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:23 AM   #98
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

I don't see any big problem with that. As long as they put on a better base.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM   #99
wrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder04.article

Hunt for space in Streeterville
Several sites in running for sizable Ronald McDonald House

July 4, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER

Doug Porter knows his hunt for space in Streeterville won't be cheap. But by about 2011, he wants a building in that hot neighborhood where he can put up 80 to 100 families per night. His need creates an interesting dynamic for the area's development.

Porter is chief executive of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana, which provides free or low-cost lodging for families visiting their hospitalized children. He wants a location near the new Children's Memorial Hospital.

One intriguing option is the old Lakeshore Athletic Club, 850 N. Lake Shore Drive, which is under contract for a $40 million sale to a developer who wants to tear it down. Porter said he is aware of the building and that it is probably too large to suit his purposes. But if preservationists successfully stop the teardown, the McDonald's-backed charity could be part of a partnership to reuse the building.

Porter said other sites that have drawn his attention include 155 E. Superior, the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago. The archdiocese intends to sell the property.
If not 850 N LSD (which would be great), then how about Micky D's puts it in that sea of black asphalt at their River North supersized flagship?
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #100
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Kind of funny

Tower plan comes up short in Evanston

August 8, 2007
DAVID ROEDER

Downtown Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) is having a chuckle at the expense of Henry Bienen, president of Northwestern University. And some Streeterville residents are having their say literally at Bienen's postage expense.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder08.article
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote