daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #101
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/5...illy12.article

Everything but lunch on his plate
BY DAVID ROEDER

Preservation of former Lakeshore Athletic Club, 850 N. Lake Shore Drive

"My view is if you have an historic building that graces the city's lakefront skyline and there is an opportunity to reuse the structure and put it back on the tax rolls, we should make every effort to make that happen."

Helipad for future Children's Memorial Hospital in Streeterville

"I'm working through that. I do have some concerns about putting a helipad in the middle of densely populated Streeterville."
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #102
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=26011

Developer completes purchase of Streeterville site

By Thomas A. Corfman
Aug. 14, 2007

A Houston developer has completed the $28-million purchase of a high-profile site in Streeterville, with plans for a high-end, 300-unit apartment tower.

Hanover Co.’s plans also include about 20,000 square feet of retail space in the building...
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:17 AM   #103
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 886

Sorry about the flash.

I just noticed this 5 minutes ago as I was leaving the office. I will attempt to get a better rendering tomorrow.

The Peshtigo
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #104
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/n...09-05&id=26262

Children's Memorial to get $100-million gift
New hospital in Streeterville to be named for Ann and Robert Lurie

Sept. 05, 2007
By Mike Colias

Children’s Memorial’s board last year decided to relocate from its cramped campus in Lincoln Park to the Streeterville site, at Chicago Avenue and North Fairbanks Court. Hospital officials expect to break ground in April on the 22-story, 276-bed facility, pending approval from state health regulators and city officials.

Old September 6th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #105
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

^The rendering itself doesn't look inviting for any helicopter to land on.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #106
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=26287

New talks could save Lake Shore Ath. building

By Eddie Baeb
Sep. 06, 2007

The Lake Shore Athletic Club building seems to be winning the fight for its survival.

Chicago developer Fifield Cos. has agreed to suspend its plan to buy and demolish the historic property at 850 N. Lake Shore Drive.
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #107
spyguy
Expert

Newcityskyline has some larger renderings that make the design a little more tolerable.

http://www.newcityskyline.com/Childr...wBuilding.html

Old September 8th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #108
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

What is the colorful material? It has the potential to be quite obnoxious if it changes based on your viewpoint.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #109
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What is the colorful material? It has the potential to be quite obnoxious if it changes based on your viewpoint.
^ I think it's there because it's a children's hospital. The newest philosophy with pediatric hospitals is for them to seem like pleasant, happy places so that children won't be so frightened of them.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #110
CMillar

Ummm.

Egads, that's horrendous.

If they don't want children to be afraid of this hospital, they should design it so that it doesn't look like 3/4 of the top is unsupported and is going to topple down and crush them.

This is an abombination.
CMillar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #111
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

I agree with TUP about the hospital designs currently being kid-friendly. Along those lines, I doubt that we are seeing the true appearance of that step-shaped band-of-color. I don't like that shimmery effect. Those busy thin lines within the band-of-color do not seem to meet the goal of appealing to children. They have several years before they'll break ground, so this appearance will almost certainly change.

Overall, it looks good. It could have been a lot worse. I hope they get it right because it will be an incredibly visible building for visitors to North Michigan Avenue.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #112
HowardL

Likes (Received): 1

Well, crap, I'm not sure what to think about Children's. I like the colored, shimmery bit. I even like the wonky offset. It's just that the non-colored/non-shimmery part of the facade looks a little too West Side Medical District. Dreary really.

I may well be wrong. It could turn out lovely after all.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #113
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMillar View Post
........If they don't want children to be afraid of this hospital, they should design it so that it doesn't look like 3/4 of the top is unsupported and is going to topple down and crush them...

Hey, that's a great point!
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #114
danthediscoman

Dont mind the colors but just maybe make the nasty exposed concrete tan color that overwhelms the building and makes it looks so damn ugly and hulking into painted white or precast white panels??...i don't know, looks absolutely awfull right now though. I think the only thing I like about it is the cantalever and the potential for 'kiddie colors'.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #115
Chiman

This is from S.O.A.R.'s October 1, 2007 web Newsbrief.

"SOAR was alerted this morning regarding the demolition schedule for Northwestern Memorial Hospital's buildings at 400 E. Ontario (at McClurg) and 450 E. Ohio (just west of Lake Shore Drive.) Demolition activities will begin this week, starting with placement of barriers, scaffolding and fencing. This work will continue into next week. Demolition for these two buildings and the Huron Street Bridge is expected to be completed the week of November 19."

The MRI site is one of the three potential sites for the required Children's Memorial parking garage (the other two are the Rehab Institute lot at McClurg btw Grand & Ohio and the old VA Hospital site).

Just interesting that the MRI site is being cleared.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #116
MWR

Dunham Building (~400 West Ohio St.)

Anyone know what's happening here? There is a scaffolding constructed in front of it. Did someone buy it?
MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #117
Chiman

Looks like the "Dunham" building is being demolished along with Northwestern Memorial's MRI facility adjacent to it.

Could be just parking as I speculated below, or maybe NWM has something else in mind. The following is from my post on the Streeterville Development thread:

This is from S.O.A.R.'s October 1, 2007 web Newsbrief.

"SOAR was alerted this morning regarding the demolition schedule for Northwestern Memorial Hospital's buildings at 400 E. Ontario (at McClurg) and 450 E. Ohio (just west of Lake Shore Drive.) Demolition activities will begin this week, starting with placement of barriers, scaffolding and fencing. This work will continue into next week. Demolition for these two buildings and the Huron Street Bridge is expected to be completed the week of November 19."

The MRI site is one of the three potential sites for the required Children's Memorial parking garage (the other two are the Rehab Institute lot at McClurg btw Grand & Ohio and the old VA Hospital site).
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #118
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/business/601...arch13.article

Archdiocese ramps up sale of Streeterville property
Hires firm to orchestrate sale; McDonald's charity interested

October 13, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago said Friday it hired a real estate firm to handle the sale of its office building at 155 E. Superior, a property certain to attract interest from developers.

...The archdiocese could strike a deal with Ronald McDonald House Charities of Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana, an arm of McDonald's Corp.
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #119
Chiman

Dunham Building is coming down quickly --

Old October 30th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #120
InTheValley

[QUOTE=Chiman;16184596]Dunham Building is coming down quickly --

Chiman,

Thank You for the pictures. It takes me back about 16 years to when I first moved downtown to 420 East Ohio (6 months after it had opened) and I never knew why that building was still standing at that time because it looked so neglected. But, needless to say, Thank you for posting that. It makes me sit back and remember when I first saw that building and now forgetting about it until you posted it.
InTheValley no está en línea   Reply With Quote