daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Old November 19th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #61
ColDayMan
King of Flyover Country

Likes (Received): 1

Further more, even starting this thread "Which of three C's is the most important" is telling in the fact that there is no "clear" winner, since they are all generally midsized metros that have potential (the story of the Midwest, eh?).
ColDayMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #62
yo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo
CINCY does everything better that the other two, minus college football and NBA basketball....
edit: minus college football, NBA basketball and snow...
yo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #63
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town

An interesting note: Over 75% of all Ohio residents live in the urban areas.

The Cleveland-Lorain-Akron-Canton-Youngstown is like a mini-megalopolis form with the population over 3.9 million

In my opinion, another mini-megalopolis that are linking Cincinnati-Hamilton-Dayton-Springfield-Columbus altogether (parts of Kentucky and Indiana is part of the population since its MSA of Cincy's) with the population nearly 4.5 million

Other metro noting:
Toledo 620K
Mansfield: 175K
Lima: 155K
Steubenville (OH & WV): 130K
Marietta (OH & WV): 150K
Wheeling (WV & OH): 155K
Huntington/Ashland (WV, KY & OH): 315K
Old November 20th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #64
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo
An interesting note: Over 75% of all Ohio residents live in the urban areas.

The Cleveland-Lorain-Akron-Canton-Youngstown is like a mini-megalopolis form with the population over 3.9 million

In my opinion, another mini-megalopolis that are linking Cincinnati-Hamilton-Dayton-Springfield-Columbus altogether (parts of Kentucky and Indiana is part of the population since its MSA of Cincy's) with the population nearly 4.5 million

Other metro noting:
Toledo 620K
Mansfield: 175K
Lima: 155K
Steubenville (OH & WV): 130K
Marietta (OH & WV): 150K
Wheeling (WV & OH): 155K
Huntington/Ashland (WV, KY & OH): 315K
I can see Cincinnati-Hamilton-Dayton-Springfiled. Adding Columbus is a stretch.
Darrell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #65
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town

The growth of Cincinnati and Dayton metros has been pushing to the east and northeast along the interstates of I-70 and I-71 toward Columbus in the past couple of decades. The counties east of Dayton (Greene Co.) and north of Cincinnati (Bulter Co.) has been growing fast as Columbus is growing as well.
Old November 20th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #66
Mike D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Life
This post may seem a little biased, but it truly is not. Most of the accomplishments are of Cincinnati, because I live here and know my city. For the Cleveland and Columbus people, feel free to add to the list. For the most part, I have the social and racial make-up of each city.

To mimic what everyone else is saying, all of Ohio's cities add each of their own personality. I think everyone can agree that the entire state of Ohio is an Urban Mecca. For instance, my wife and I recently drove to Baltimore. We left Cincinnati, hit Columbus, then Pittsburgh, and then Baltimore all in just a little under 8 hours! What a great privilege to live in a region that allows us to do so!

Cincinnati

The Cincinnati-Dayton Metroplex is approximately three million people.
(For those of you that do not know:Metroplex: an area of 2 or more very close statistical metropolitan areas that converge upon one another.)

By 2010, it's projected that this metro area (population) will be in the top 10 in the U.S. It already has 2.93 million people -Tuesday, April 20, 2004 (Cincinnati Enquirer)

52.97% White
42.92% Black or African American
0.21% Native American
1.55% Asian
0.04% Pacific Islander
0.63% from other races
1.68% from two or more races
1.28% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

The Cincinnati Art Museum tied with four museums – including the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and the Art Institute of Chicago – for best art museum.

AmericanStyle magazine, a bimonthly national publication, rated Cincinnati as the No. 5 arts destination in the country in an annual survey published in its latest edition.

“Top Ten Cities that Rock” – Esquire Magazine, April 2004
Esquire's April issue lists 10 "Cities That Rock" in a feature described as "a guide to the 10 best places to hear and see music”.

“Cincinnati Named One of the Nation’s Most Livable Communities of the Decade” - Partners for Livable Communities, April 2004
Recognized in a ceremony at the National Press Club in Washington, DC on April 20, Cincinnati is the only Midwestern city and one of just 9 large markets named to the list by the non-profit organization Partners for Livable Communities. (For large-size cities)

Cincinnati gets top marks for travel CNN, July 28, 2004 In the past few months, the ZAGAT SURVEY, American Style Magazine and AAA have cited the quality and affordability of Cincinnati arts, entertainment, shopping, dining and lodging and its success as a family-friendly tourist destination.

According to US Family Travel Guide, which is published by ZAGAT SURVEY in association with Parenting Magazine, gives numerous Cincinnati attractions top rankings among a list of over 1,000 sites and attractions from across the US. The rankings that were given included:
CINCINNATI ZOO – 13th of the top 50 national attractions.(which is also the 2nd oldest zoo in the nation)
CINCINNATI ART MUSEUM – Tied for nation’s best art museum with Metropolitan Art Museum in New York
• NEWPORT ON THE LEVEE – Rated #1 mall and shopping center. Located minutes from downtown.
• PARAMOUNT’S KINGS ISLAND – one of the top ten amusement parks in the nation.

Cincinnati restaurants have more "stars per capita" than any city east of San Francisco. Cincinnati also hosts the largest Oktoberfest celebration in the world other than the original celebration in Munich, Germany.

Recently placed on Money magazine's top 20 list of "Most Fun Cities," Cincinnati has been evoking a resounding applause from visitors and the media. The newly opened Contemporary Arts Museum has been hailed as one of the most important buildings to be erected in the world.

Home to 10(9 now, I think) Fortune 500 headquarter firms and nine Fortune 1000 headquarter companies. In addition, another 400 Fortune firms have operations in Greater Cincinnati.
• Expansion Management Magazine ranked Cincinnati USA No. 12 for Best Metro for European Investment and No. 16 Best Metro for Business Expansion, July 2004.
• Site Selection Magazine named Cincinnati USA No. 8 of its Top Metros for New & Expanded Facilities, March 2004.
• More than 1,000 firms engaged in international trade - ranking Greater Cincinnati 22nd nationally in total exports.
Fortune Magazine ranked Cincinnati 7th among the Top 15 Cities as Great Places to Live and Work.
Forbes Magazine calls the region one of the "Best Places for Business and Careers."
• Business Development OUTLOOK Magazine names Cincinnati one of the top 25 "2000 Choice Cities" for business expansion or relocation.
The New York Times says, "Cincinnati exemplifies the cities driving the U.S. economy".
• Employment Review and Outlook both listed Cincinnati among the Top 20 Best U.S. Cities in which to Live and Work.
• Inc. Magazine ranked Cincinnati among the top 25 Large Metro Areas to Start a Business in Now.
Entrepreneur Magazine ranked Cincinnati 13th for entrepreneurship and #1 for “LowestFailure Rates”.
• Yahoo Internet Life says Cincinnati is one of the Top Wired Cities in 2000 - ranking it 25th out of 50.
• Sprint Business ranked Greater Cincinnati on their list of "Most Productive Cities in America"based on economic productivity composite index.
• Sales & Marketing Management ranked Cincinnati 10th in its Top 20 Hottest Markets for Selling and Doing Business. Factors considered included population increases, retail sales,effective buying income, increase in building permits, unemployment rates, job growth, mix of industries, tax rates, number of corporate relocations and number of new corporations.

• Sporting News magazine names Cincinnati as the No. 1 college basketball city in America based on the quality of the University of Cincinnati and Xavier teams and their dedicated fans.

University of Cincinnati: 29,223
All of that info that you posted for Cincy makes it sound like a really great place to be. Cincy sounds like a place that should be having its best days ahead. I feel like I have to visit Cincy and experience it for myself. I especially like that picture of Cincy's night skyline.

Last edited by Mike D; November 20th, 2005 at 06:52 PM.
Mike D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #67
MABCLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan
Importance, regarding Ohio cities, is minimal, at best. Cleveland-Lorain, Cincinnati-Hamilton, and Columbus all generally have the same output of GNP/GDP and economic importance to the country (and are generally the same size; Cleveland-Lorain at 2.2 mil; Cincinnati-Hamilton at 2.1 mil; Columbus at 1.8 mil). Arguing who is the most important is like asking if Houston or Dallas is the most important in Texas? Just add another city (Say, San Antonio reached 5.5 million) and microscale it...

...welcome to Ohio.
This is a little late, actually really late, but anyway Colday I love how you claim they are all the same size, yet you use the Combined statistical area populations for Cincinnati and Columbus, but only use Cleveland's Metro Population. Nothing like bending the truth to prove a point.
Cincinnati CSA is 2.1 mm
Columbus is 1.8
Cleveland is 2.9
They may seem similar, but in reality the only thing similar between the three is that they all start with the letter C, are in the state of Ohio and I-71 goes to each.
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #68
unusualfire

^ He's using the MSA for all.
unusualfire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #69
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Cleveland...hands down....the only real city in the bunch
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #70
Sam_Harmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCLE
Yeah according to The 2004 Gross State product report done by the North American Industry Classification system, Cleveland has the largest Gross metropolitan product in ohio 27th in the nation, followed by Columbus 37th in the nation, and Cincinnati 38th in the nation.
You're right. However, Columbus' per capita GP is higher
Sam_Harmon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #71
PigBoy

Oh no, the intra-Ohio battle is back. This can only end in tears.

ColDay's spot on when he says they're pretty much the same at the national level. Sure, we can put them in the size/economy ranking of Cleveland-Cincy-Columbus, but the differences are just not great enough to make proclaiming a champion worthwhile.
PigBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #72
MABCLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire
^ He's using the MSA for all.
Columbus MSA 1,612,694

Cincinnati MSA 2,009,632

Cleveland MSA 2,250,871
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #73
illmatic774
Midwest, young n restless

Cleveland.

Cincinnati's the prettiest, but my pick is Cleveland. Underrated and undermentioned like s***.
illmatic774 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #74
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Likes (Received): 3

If I weren't biased in this discussion, I would still pick Cincy...

The main reason would be for historical reasons. I have an automatic interest in cities with a very old history. This is why I have an interest in a lot of the east coast cities.

Cincinnati was the first major midwestern city and it's historical footprint is still very visible today, whether it be the european immigration or the architecture.

Cincinnati is also the city of "first". Look in any encyclopedia and you will see mention of this. Of course being such an old city (founded in 1788) we are going to be the city of "first".

Population, this is really a silly argument to use when picking a favorite city in OH. Look at Savannah, GA for instance. This is a true city with beauty, history, and is known on a national level ... This city is also very small.

Cincinnati is and feels larger than Columbus by far. Columbus is an hour drive away from me, lol. I know how Columbus feels. If Cincinnati had the land area that C-bus has, then we would have over a million people in our city pop. Cleveland, I am not going to argue with the 2.9Mil MSA stats, because I feel they are right, but to ignore Cincy's and Dayton's connection is just silly. The people that do not want to see Cincy and Dayton in one MSA are the same people that do not want to see Cincy have a larger MSA than 'their' respective city. This is no mystery. The Cincy and Dayton forumers are well aware of this mindset and their intentions this is ok, because it can be ignored until it is "official".

Cincinnati is going through a major rebirth...

We have over $90mil worth of development going on in and around Fountain Square, over $600Mill worth of development that will be accomplished on our dirt in between our stadiums which is a total of $1.9Bil worth of development that sits right on our river-front (this $ will increase as developers have determined that they want more, but I do not know a dollar amount so I will use the old figures). One of the most oldest and dense neighborhoods in the nation that sits to our north (OTR) is going under a major re-birth with the Corp. 3CDC (www.3CDC.org) spearheading Vine St. and purchasing properties all the way up to Liberty St.. Scaffolding is already up and building after building is being converted to either Apartments or Condos... Clifton, I don't even know where to begin.

Just check this out, I don't know where to begin:

http://www.cincinnatimillworks.com/

Why was Cincinnati chosen for Paramount' King's Island?

And of course we cannot forget King's Island (Ohio's largest Theme Park), they recently purchased and entire water park from some city in Wisconsin (Wolf Something?) and plan on relocating it to King's Island. I'm not sure why, because we already had a kick-ass water park at King's Island and there is another one just minutes from King's Island (The Beach):

Anyway, this just adds to things to do while living in Cincinnati.

• Did I mention the Cincinnati Art Museum tied for nation’s best art museum with the Metropolitan Art Museum in New York?

Last edited by Cincinnatus; May 6th, 2006 at 08:54 PM.
Cincinnatus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #75
Sam_Harmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Life

• Did I mention the Cincinnati Art Museum tied for nation’s best art museum with the Metropolitan Art Museum in New York?
Do you have a source for this? I've never--in my life--seen or heard of Cininnati's museum (which is excellent) being mentioned in the same breath as The Met or even Chicago's Art Institute.
Sam_Harmon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #76
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Harmon
Do you have a source for this? I've never--in my life--seen or heard of Cininnati's museum (which is excellent) being mentioned in the same breath as The Met or even Chicago's Art Institute.
It was in a Zagat Survey. If you know about Zagat Surveys, then you know that you have to pay to see the actual survey and two, they are a national survey. Just Google it man ... plenty o' links galore! ... Glad to see your passion for Cincy is still strong! I love the enthusiasm! Cincy is truly an amazing city! Let me know if you need more links and I will send some your way ... just PM me!

http://www.pgcincinnati.com/n_articles.htm

http://www.hamilton-co.org/das/BIB06-WEB.pdf

http://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/ad...t/BIB%2005.pdf

http://cincinnati.citysearch.com/profile/8156407
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #77
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

And while we are on topic ... did I mention that the CAM is only showing 3% of it's collection? This explains the major expansion we are going through.
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #78
MABCLE

Not to discredit the wonderful new developments going on in Cincy. You also cannot discredit what is going on in Cleveland there are over 2 billion dollars in projects going on and one proposed that alone would cost 1billion, including the huge $258million expansion of The Cleveland Museum of art, the seemingly endless expansion of The Cleveland Clinic, Ohio's premier Medical center in the form of a new heart center, The $300 million Euclid-Corridor project that will add landscaping and a bus-rapid transit line as well as attract even more development dollars, The Flats Eastbank project that will add new condos, entertainment venues and retail, The redevelopment of The Triangle in University Circle by Case that will add a new location for the Museum of Contemporary art as well as retail, The Avenue District in downtown that will add new mid-rise upscale condo units and retail Then add the numerous smaller projects and The proposed $1Billion Pesht project proposed by Robert Stark that will connect downtown to the Lake in the form of a huge new neighborhood including more condos, more retail and more entertainment venues. and you have over 2billion in development and another 1billion plus on the way.

Last edited by MABCLE; May 8th, 2006 at 03:40 AM.
MABCLE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #79
lauderdalegator

Likes (Received): 6

All three are really fascinating with universities, museums and really unique neighborhoods. Cleveland feels the biggest.

I like Cleveland because even though it has shrunk (it used to have almost 1,000,000 people living in the city proper) the infrastructure and abundance of large old buildings still show that big city past.

Also, being on a huge lake helps. Now if they could just get enough money to re-do their waterfront.
lauderdalegator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #80
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

The most important city in Ohio (and it starts with a C): Canton
All three cities are important and each has something different to offer.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote