daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #81
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Recent photos of the Uptown Theater interior if you're interested
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicago...7600264268667/
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #82
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Recent photos of the Uptown Theater interior if you're interested
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicago...7600264268667/
^ Here's a teaser and the associated caption:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicago...600264268667/:

Here's a little more of an idea just how much the restoration would do. It looks like it's in a patch of sunlight, but this area is just as murky as everywhere else - that's the beauty of the restoration.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #83
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

To me if this was restored it would be as good as a new mega-project i could get excited about. The craftsmanship is simply stunning and not likely to be replicated this day in age.
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #84
BFA

Likes (Received): 0

I am not sure of the history behind the Riveria, Aragon, and Uptown, but from the looks of it, all 3 were built around the same time. I think all 3 can be restored to look very nice.
BFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #85
trvlr70

I attended a circuit party there one time. It's an awesome venue(from what I remember)
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #86
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
I am not sure of the history behind the Riveria, Aragon, and Uptown, but from the looks of it, all 3 were built around the same time. I think all 3 can be restored to look very nice.
The Uptown was built as a Broadway type live theatre venue. The Aragon was a big band dance hall, thus the Aragon Ballroom. I'm not sure about the Riv, but it and the Uptown also hosted movies during the movie palace era. During the '70s and '80s the Uptown and Aragon hosted some raucious and rowdy rock shows.

jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #87
BFA

The articles don't mention what will happen to the Uptown after it's restored.

Any ideas?
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #88
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
The articles don't mention what will happen to the Uptown after it's restored.

Any ideas?
That restoration is, I believe, just a test patch, not part of an ongoing project.
There is some litigation going on now as to who the true owner of the property is...
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #89
BFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
That restoration is, I believe, just a test patch, not part of an ongoing project.
There is some litigation going on now as to who the true owner of the property is...
I guess I'm just confused as to what the owners want to do with the property after the proposed $40 million restoration. Something tells me that they won't be holding rock concerts in there.

It would be pretty sweet if they returned to live stage performance and got a pretty big Broadway show there. From the pictures, the inside (and outside) is a very beautiful venue.
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #90
spyguy
Expert

Is Target really coming?

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/newsstar...307-s1.article

Holsten: Target is coming to Wilson Yard

June 13, 2007
By LORRAINE SWANSON

Developer Peter Holsten went on record that a Target store is coming to Wilson Yard despite no official announcement from the retail giant.

In a June 6 meeting of the Wilson Yard Task Force at Truman College, Holsten, the lead developer for the former, five-acre CTA rail yard, insisted that his firm, the Chicago-based Holsten, had passed all of the Target Corporation's financial boards and had a signed contract in hand.

"Target wants to open in mid-2009," Holsten said.

Wilson Yard, bounded by Broadway and the CTA tracks on the east and west, and Wilson and Montrose Avenues on the north and south, became a political battleground during the recent 46th Ward aldermanic race. Some Uptown residents have criticized Holsten and Alderman Helen Shiller, 46th, for what they claim has been a lack of transparency in the mixed-use development's planning process.

The redevelopment plans include a 180,000-square-foot Target store, 178 units of affordable housing and a 700-car parking garage, with 30,000 additional square feet for retail, offices and restaurants. A new Aldi's that replaced an existing store at 4450 N. Broadway, opened in May at Wilson Yard, almost six months past its projected opening of December 2006.

Last month, the City Council approved increasing Wilson Yard's TIF subsidy from $35.6 million to $43.1 million, stipulating that construction begin on the Target and residential units no later than July. Holsten attributed the increase to a 15 percent rise in construction costs and materials.

Holsten told task force members and a handful of residents attending the mid-morning meeting that toxic soil removal had already begun on the site. Demolition of the old Aldi's and the Azusa Building will start in July.

Wary after the pullout of a 12-screen movie theater in 2005, residents have questioned whether Target has truly committed to anchoring the Wilson Yard complex of stores, offices and apartments. Uptown resident Dustin Fogel, who took a day off from work to attend the task force meeting which are typically held during business hours, asked why there has been no official announcement.

Repeated calls to Target's media relations department were not returned.

"When the Target on Peterson opened there were signs up well in advance of its coming," Fogel said.

"Also, (residents) have contacted Target and asked if they had any new stores planned in the Chicago area and the Wilson Yard Target was not mentioned," Fogel added.

Holsten described Target's policies on announcing new stores "odd."

"We asked to put an announcement in the newspaper. It's bizarre," Holsten said.

Shiller backed Holsten, who reiterated that his firm did indeed have a contract.

"Do you think he'd go forward if Target wasn't on board?" Shiller asked.

Holsten said that once construction is underway, a rendering of the proposed Target would be posted at the construction site.

"(Target's) policies on this side are absurd. We'll put up a rendering and to hell with them,"
Holsten said.

-----------------

To hell with them? I don't think this is the way a developer would talk to their anchor tenant, especially when the deal seems shaky at best. I guess we'll have to see.
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:15 PM   #91
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I can't tell which neighborhood this is, but here goes:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...realestate-hed
87 condos at Irving Park and Sheridan

By Jeanette Almada
Special to the Tribune
Published July 1, 2007

A mixed-use project with 87 condominiums will replace an old gas station on Irving Park Road, near Sheridan Road.

Loukas Development Group will develop the project through SEC Sheridan Irving Park LLC.

Loukas will build the project on a 19,616-square-foot site at 943-957 W. Irving Park Rd. and 3947-3957 N. Sheridan Rd.

"We have owned the site for about three years. We live in the neighborhood and are very concerned about what our project looks like [and] worked long to design something that we can be proud of," Tony Loukas, president of Loukas Development Group, said June 27.

The gas station will be demolished, according to a Chicago Department of Planning and Development project manager who won Plan Commission approval for it June 21. Approval was needed because the site was originally zoned to allow an 87-foot building, and the proposed building will be a little more than 100 feet. The new zoning allows a building of up to 142 feet. City Council approval is needed.

Loukas will build a 12-story building with 87 condos, 87 parking spaces and ground-floor retail space.

The condos will consist of 50 one-bedroom units from 725 to 860 square feet; 34 two-bedroom units with 1,155 to 1,285 square feet; and three three-bedroom units with 1,500 to 1,800 square feet, the Planning Department project manager told commissioners.

Eighty-three units will be sold at market rates. "We have not yet finalized our design so are not sure about the final prices. But we expect that our one-bedroom units will be priced from about mid-$200,000, and that our largest two-bedroom units will be around $400,000," Loukas said.

Pappageorge Haymes is designing the building.

Under its agreement with the city, Loukas will sell four units (two two-bedroom and two one-bedroom units) at the affordable price of $145,000. Those units will be sold to buyers earning up to 100 percent of the average area income, or $75,000 for a family of four.

Loukas negotiated that agreement, according to the Chicago Department of Housing's Chicago Partners for Affordable Neighborhoods program, before the City Council approved an ordinance that requires developers of housing projects with any city assistance to set aside at least 10 percent of their units as affordable housing.

Loukas hopes to begin construction in early 2008.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:38 PM   #92
BFA

Interesting ... wasn't there a discussion of putting a Whole Foods at that location?
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM   #93
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

close enough URB,
but it is on the south side of irving park,
so to be technical it would be lakeview.

i yahoo mapped it, and you can also tell just by the address
that its below 4000 which is irving, so many would call it the beginning of wrigleyville?

never liked that name, cuz its not really well defined.

btw this sounds like a great idea for the area, that corner has been dead for awhile,
and there is an awesome new mixed used building just south of it,
this is shaping up to be a great el stop. hopefully it will be a nice looking bldg.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:04 AM   #94
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

"....I don't think this is the way a developer would talk to their anchor tenant, especially when the deal seems shaky at best. I guess we'll have to see...."

Holsten knows what he is doing. He is not a hothead. He wouldn't say this publicly about Target unless it would help his situation.

I am not saying that the Wilson Yard project has proceeded in the best way for residents, I am just saying that Holsten is tweaking Target on purpose.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #95
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

this thread is so dead,
but there is alot going on in uptown
check out uptown update, its a great blog
in the same vein as broken heart of rogers park,
just not as heavy on the politics.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #96
spyguy
Expert

Project and Lawrence and Winthrop

Yesterday there was a meeting for a project by the same developer of the Theater District Lofts for a building on the SE corner of Lawrence and Winthrop.

This thread has a good discussion on the development
http://p197.ezboard.com/Results-of-M...cID=2536.topic

The developer says the building will have a 9 screen theater, 499 parking spaces, high end grocery store or restaurant for the ground floor retail, and office/retail space on the top floor. However, there are many doubts regarding the possibility of either a theater or grocery store.
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #97
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The developer says the building will have a 9 screen theater, 499 parking spaces, high end grocery store or restaurant...
^ We must prepare for the avalanche of cars! They're coming, HELP!!!
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #98
Chicago3rd

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ We must prepare for the avalanche of cars! They're coming, HELP!!!
Restrict the amount of parking garage spaces as much as possible. Stop designing around the car. We have a huge dense population right there who can walk easily or take the El to this spot.
Chicago3rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #99
goranpejic
Sta ima...

I work in the Bridgeview/Uptown Bank Building (?) and I had no clue that so much stuff is being built all over Uptown. Does anyone know what's going to happen with the building adjacent to Riviera? It's being renovated, and from what I hear, Bank of America will be moving there. Does anyone know?
goranpejic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #100
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 874

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,5044246.story

Downtown goes uptown--more slowly
By Mary Umberger
September 16, 2007

As the downtown condo market has grown in the last few years, so have the number of columns in Gail Lissner's spreadsheet.

Lissner keeps a quarterly sales score card for Appraisal Research Counselors, a Chicago firm that specializes in analyzing the downtown market for newly built condominiums. Where condo-shoppers see granite countertops, luxurious baths and dazzling city views, Lissner sees square footage -- increasingly pricey square footage.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote