daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #121
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Uptown Theatre goes on the block

Quote:
http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...n-theatre.html

Uptown Theatre goes on the block
Want to buy Chicago's historic Uptown Theatre on Tuesday morning? It's relatively easy.

..........You'll only need at least $40 million—the precise figures depend on whom you ask and what gets done—to bring the long-shuttered, 1925 venue back to life.

In the latest Byzantine twist in the saga of the colossal, landmark theater—followed by a passionate group of historians, neighborhood activists and arts supporters—the Uptown Theatre will be the object of a forced judicial sale Tuesday. Regardless of the buyer, it should remove a stumbling block in the theater's restoration.

It will clarify who owns the joint.

"The bottom line here is that the ownership issue will be completely cleared up," said Judy Frydland, an attorney for the City of Chicago, which will be closely monitoring the morning's developments. "Regardless of what has happened in the past, whoever is the highest bidder will own the building."..............

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #122
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Admiral at the Lake site cleared

Pete Fuller/ flickr
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #123
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 63

Are they any closer to beginning construction on the new Target in Uptown? I'm getting tired of waiting.
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #124
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1446

Oh yeah, any day now!!! Not.

I live a block south of that. There's always "news" about Target from the developer, but myseriously nothing ever seems to happen. They are digging around in the dirt to get ready to build the two towers that will contain 178 new low income housing units for Uptown.

I love the neighborhood to death, but what in the hell is the Alderman on when the ONLY type of development she wants in this neighborhood striving to gentrify (but being held back) is methadone clinics, shelters, low income and section 8 housing? How many social services can we crush into one small area of the city before someone finally throws her ass into the lake. Has she not been paying attention the past 40 years? I'm all for helping people out, but the exactly wrong way of doing it is to take everyone in poverty and hopelessness and then go throw them together in a few close together building and wait for the worlds biggest block party to develop.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #125
HowardL

Likes (Received): 1

Shiller is such a ****. I used to live at Montrose and Broadway and it was a hot mess then. It's gotten worse I think. I have friends who just moved into deepest ghetto at Sheridan and Lawrence. Good Christ, their place is beautiful, but two steps outside and it's disgusting. Maybe I'm just getting old/older, but I just don't have the patience for the endless stream of trash walking Schiller's streets. It's really sad that one neighborhood could have so many people who would like to make it better, but there's no support from the alderman.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #126
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...EDER17.article

Another chance on the N. Side's money pit
UPTOWN | Maryville Academy site is latest development deal

December 17, 2008
DAVID ROEDER

The latest development firm to bite the Uptown apple is Sedgwick Properties Development Corp., which has signed a contract to buy the former Maryville Academy property at Montrose and Clarendon. The site consists of buildings north of Montrose and on both sides of Clarendon, just off Lake Shore Drive and Lincoln Park.

The potential of new homes with lake views wasn't lost on Marty Paris, Sedgwick president. At 3½ acres, the property is large enough to do several things, such as adding retail space into the design.

So Paris said he's working on a mixed-use concept he hopes to refine after discussions with neighborhood groups. He also said he believes the property can accommodate a high-rise, although he didn't want to get specific.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #127
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...14&TM=85966.84

Holsten's attorney subpoenas Google
Information sought on 2 Uptown blogs

By LORRAINE SWANSON

The attorney representing Wilson Yard developer Peter Holsten in the lawsuit filed against him by Fix Wilson Yard has subpoenaed Google seeking information about two Uptown blogs.

News-Star learned that the blogs in question are Uptown Update and What the Helen. Each blog was notified by e-mail that they had been subpoenaed as third parties through Google and that they have until Feb. 4 to file a motion to quash the subpoena. Both blogs are maintained anonymously and neither is affiliated with Fix Wilson Yard.
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #128
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...20&TM=84052.77

Residents sound off on Maryville proposal
By LORRAINE SWANSON

...The developer is proposing a residential and commercial development with up to 850 units of housing and 100,000 square feet of retail.

"We didn't come with fully blown designs to try to overwhelm you," Feeley said.

...The developer plans to demolish one of the buildings that once housed a school and residence for wards of the state. In its place, Sedgwick wants to build two residential towers of market-rate condominium and rental housing, a bank of five-story townhomes along Agitate and an affordable senior rental building up to 10 stories tall facing Clarendon. One of the residential towers will be 30 stories, and the other 39 stories.

The developer also wants to add a boutique hotel where there is a second existing structure across Clarendon adjacent to Chicago Park District property. Still undecided is whether the second building will be demolished or incorporated into the master development plan.

Touting the entire project as a "top-notch, class-A" development, Feeley added that the firm is talking to high-end retailers including a gourmet supermarket, to anchor the two towers.
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #129
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Great. Hopefully we'll keep the NIMBY self-entitled stupidity to a minimum
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #130
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Uptown neighborhood on an upswing
Steeped in history, diverse neighborhood witnessing a renaissance

By Jeffrey Steele | Special to the Tribune
April 3, 2009

There was a time, in its Roaring '20s heyday, when Uptown lived up to its name in more than one way. Yes, it stood higher than the Loop on the Chicago city map, but it also represented a glamorous step up from much of the rest of the Windy City.

In his book, "Guide to Chicago Neighborhoods," author and Tribune reporter Ron Grossman recaptures that age. "Between the World Wars, Wilson and Sheridan marked the center of what the Chicagoan magazine of the day called 'a city within a city,' a glittery district dotted with big movie palaces, fancy department stores and dance halls hosting Glenn Miller, the Dorsey Brothers, Jan Garber and all the other famous names of the swing era."

Ensuing decades would not be so kind to Uptown. Chic "Wilson Avenue girls" and their Aragon Ballroom suitors married and fled to the suburbs. Uptown began a slow slide, morphing into a low-rent district known for crime, grime and arson fires.

That slalom bottomed out in the 1970s, when urban pioneers swooped in to grab architecturally stunning vintage homes and commercial buildings at bargain prices. Three decades later, Uptown continues on with an inspiring revitalization.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,1826994.story
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #131
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Uptown Theatre

Quote:
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/uptown....2.1064167.html

Discussion Planned On Future Of Uptown Theatre
Chicago Architecture Foundation To Host Documentary Screening, Talk On Restoration Efforts

Jun 29, 2009 11:55 am US/Central

The long-vacant Uptown Theatre looks much the same as it did nearly a year ago when JAM Productions bought it with plans to bring live concerts back.

But many Chicagoans are eagerly awaiting its reopening, and they may get some updates this Wednesday.

The Chicago Architecture Foundation on Wednesday will screen, "Portrait of a Palace," a documentary film on the history of the Uptown Theatre, 4814 N. Broadway, which has been boarded up since early 1981. Afterward, JAM Productions founder Jerry Mickelson and Friends of the Uptown volunteer Andy Pierce will talk about the history and planned renovation of the theatre.

The free screening and discussion are set for 12:15 p.m. Wednesday at the Chicago Architecture Foundation's first floor gallery in the Santa Fe Building, 24 S. Michigan Ave...................

Friends of the Uptown is also holding a fundraiser in September at the Sanfilippo Estate in Barrington Hills. The $40-per-ticket fundraiser will feature tours of the mechanical musical devices and historical artifacts at the estate, and a theatre organ concert. It's set for Sept. 20 at 2 p.m................
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:08 AM   #132
The Urban Politician
The City

Has anyone visited the Wilson Yard site recently?

I passed by it 2 days ago. It's pretty large, and will go a long way towards enclosing that area. Too bad about the vacant building across Broadway from it
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #133
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
Has anyone visited the Wilson Yard site recently?

I passed by it 2 days ago. It's pretty large, and will go a long way towards enclosing that area. Too bad about the vacant building across Broadway from it
The ALDI was pretty bad, having little resemblance to what was planned, promised, or ideal. And it has already been tagged. Unfortunately, the second phase seems to be following the first. I'm not too impressed with the brick or the residential structure.

And that vacant building across the street is destined to become another one of Shiller's hair-brained TIF schemes: an urban fish farm.

Anyway, this article mentions a few possible retail tenants that could join Target, Subway, AT&T, some nail salon and Play N Trade:
An adult daycare center, Sally’s Beauty Supply, XSport Fitness, Chili’s, and something called Panara Bread Company [sic]. Panara would fit right in on the Wilson Yard billboard with the fake Target logo.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #134
Urbanight

Likes (Received): 0

I pass Wilson Yard frequently, it looks pretty bad. It looks very cheap. Some good retail like a Panera and Xsports could help push Uptown over the hill and into a true yuppie bastion. If Target opens I think the dynamic of the neighborhood will definitely change.

There is also great retail opportunities in the recently renovated building on Broadway, just south of Lawrence.
Urbanight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #135
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The ALDI was pretty bad, having little resemblance to what was planned, promised, or ideal. And it has already been tagged. Unfortunately, the second phase seems to be following the first. I'm not too impressed with the brick or the residential structure.

And that vacant building across the street is destined to become another one of Shiller's hair-brained TIF schemes: an urban fish farm.

Anyway, this article mentions a few possible retail tenants that could join Target, Subway, AT&T, some nail salon and Play N Trade:
An adult daycare center, Sally’s Beauty Supply, XSport Fitness, Chili’s, and something called Panara Bread Company [sic]. Panara would fit right in on the Wilson Yard billboard with the fake Target logo.
^ It's tall, it's brick, it's dense, and it encloses the shit out of Uptown's Broadway streetscape.

Sure it could be better. But sheesh, have you noticed some of those strip malls? What's there to complain about here?
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #136
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
Sure it could be better. But sheesh, have you noticed some of those strip malls? What's there to complain about here?
With more than $50 million in TIF, we shouldn't have to settle for just "good enough."
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #137
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,6700971.story

Continuing-care communities move ahead
By Jane Adler

The Admiral on the Lake, Chicago.

After a delay, this project on the city's North Side should be moving ahead soon. The new building at Foster Avenue and Marine Drive replaces a retirement facility that was torn down in 2007. The Kendal Corp., an experienced retirement-community operator from the East Coast, has been brought in to help push the project forward, and a new marketing effort is under way.

About 70 percent of the 200 apartments are reserved. Though financing for big projects such as the Admiral has been hard to obtain because of the economic downturn, Glenn Brichacek, CEO of the Admiral, expects to begin construction by next spring or sooner. In that case, the project would open in 2012.
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #138
spyguy
Expert

http://www.lakeeffectnews.com/2010/0...ing-to-uptown/

New TIF Coming To Uptown
By LORRAINE SWANSON

...The proposed, mixed-use development to be named Lakeview Station after what was once the site of city’s largest North Side water pumping station in the late 1800s, will include two residential towers up to 30 and 39 stories of market-rate condominiums and rental units, a bank of five-story townhomes along Agatite, and a 10-story affordable senior housing building facing Clarendon. Both residential towers include a combined 100,000 square feet of ground floor commercial space. Also in the mix is a “boutique” hotel across the street from the main campus where there is an existing structure once used by Maryville as an administration building.

http://www.lakeeffectnews.com/2010/0...n-development/

Developer Says Community Won’t Lose Parking To New Uptown Development
By LORRAINE SWANSON

...Feeley also said that Sedgwick has revised its original plans from 860 parking spaces in compliance with Chicago building codes that require one space for each new unit of housing to now include 1,100 spaces of parking. A minimum of 125 spaces will be available for public parking, up to 500-plus spaces of public parking after the development is completed.

...Sedgwick has also received “letters of intent” from a grocer and health club to lease the ground floor commercial space of the two residential towers.
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #139
spyguy
Expert

Wilson Yard Target update

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26396462/T...n-July-25-2010
  • Planned opening date: July 25, 2010
  • Not a Super Target but there will be groceries, some deli/bakery items, and a Starbucks
  • Possible walkway connecting the store to the CTA station
  • Quote:
    The community has sent some letters to Target corporate asking about sponsoring the Wilson El stop (rehab of the station) - is that something that could be possible?

That is something that the corporate office would look at. Jeff [DeMoss, District Team Leader] is willing to talk to anyone that has ideas and explore it.
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #140
spyguy
Expert

http://interactive.chicagobusiness.c...eline/private/

2010/02/14 Theater District Lofts - Phase II 21-story condominium tower, $35 million 4738 N Winthrop Ave, Chicago, IL 60640-5034, US Cook Est. Start Date: October 2011