daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #161
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

More on the Admiral.....

http://edgewatercb.blogspot.com/2010...dmiral-at.html

Official Press Release:
Construction of The NEW Admiral at the Lake begins in Chicago
81 percent of residences reserved in 31-story lakefront life-care community

NOVEMBER 8, 2010 -- Construction began Nov. 5, on The NEW Admiral at the Lake, a 31-story life care/continuing care retirement community being built at Marine Drive and Foster Avenue on Chicago’s lakefront. With 81 percent of its residences already reserved, The NEW Admiral has found strong support among older adults in the region.

The NEW Admiral also has garnered strong support from investors, having secured the $202 million in financing needed to make the not-for-profit community a reality.
Situated just 400 steps from a sand beach in Lincoln Park, many residences in The NEW Admiral will offer breathtaking unobstructed views of Lake Michigan and downtown Chicago, which is a 10-minute ride away. In addition to 200 residential apartments--ranging in size from one-bedroom to three-bedroom homes--the community plans to provide 39 assisted living and 17 memory-support accommodations, as well as 36 private skilled nursing rooms.

In mid-2009, Kendal and The Admiral announced a collaboration, bringing together The Admiral’s 151-year tradition in Chicago with Kendal’s nationally recognized expertise and leadership in the development and operation of not-for-profit continuing care retirement communities. Since then the original intent to collaborate has been consummated with a formal working agreement that will eventually lead to an affiliation between the two.

“With Kendal’s involvement in The Admiral’s redevelopment project, significant results have been achieved within a relatively brief period of time,” says Glenn Brichacek, Chief Executive Officer of The NEW Admiral at the Lake. “The New Admiral has seen a surge in interest from potential residents, which has yielded more excitement and new resident reservations in a shorter period of time than had been anticipated.”

Drawing its name from the historic hotel that once occupied the site, The NEW Admiral at the Lake will continue to serve one of the most interesting and diverse neighborhoods in the United States.

As Chicago’s first and longest-operating, not-for-profit senior living community, The Admiral has a long history of serving older adults of all faiths and nationalities. The Admiral approached Kendal, asking for assistance in repositioning its historic mission on the same site it has occupied since the 1960s, which sits on the border of Chicago’s Edgewater and Uptown neighborhoods on the shore of Lake Michigan.

“This collaboration works because Kendal’s values resonate deeply with those held by The Admiral and its board, staff, and residents,” says John Diffey, President and CEO of The Kendal Corporation, based in Kennett Square, Pa. “The mission, history, and multi-dimensional attractiveness of this opportunity are compelling, and Kendal moved swiftly to help The NEW Admiral complete its plans to create what promises to be an exceptional new urban retirement living community and Kendal’s newest affiliate.”
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #162
mohammed wong

new info on maryville site at montrose and clarendon

Lake View Station

http://www.connectingclarendonpark.com/Home.html

Phase I
Location: Northwest corner of Montrose and Clarendon Avenues (Main development site)
Program:
-120,000 sq. ft. retail space-Anchor tenants: full-size grocer and full-service health club
-Parking to support retail
-125 FREE overnight parking spaces for community
-Developer investment to revitalize Clarendon Park

Phase II
Location: Northeast corner of Montrose and Clarendon Avenues (Eastern development site)
Program:
-150 luxury residential units (200 max)
-22 floors (+/-)
-20,000 sq. ft. retail space
-Parking

Phase III
Location: Northwest corner of Montrose and Clarendon Avenues (Main development site)
Program:
-262 residential units (300 max)
-35 floors (+/-)
-Parking

Phase IV
Program:
-452 residential and hotel units (500 max)
-42 floors (+/-)
-Parking

Phase V
Location: Northwest corner of Clarendon and Agatite Avenues (Northern development site)
Program:
-100 residential units
-14 floors
-Parking

Phase VI
Location: Northwest corner of Clarendon and Agatite Avenues (Northern development site)
Program:
-50 residential units
-6 - 8 floors
-Parking
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #163
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/4...sic-mecca.html

Fresh hope to turn Uptown into Chicago’s music mecca
By Thomas Conner, Fran Spielman AND STEFANO ESPOSITO Staff Reporters Mar 6, 2011 0

It was just a question, not a promise, but it certainly got the city’s music community and the Uptown neighborhood chattering.

In an interview that aired Wednesday on WXRT-FM (93.1), mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel talked about his favorite bands — and dropped an idea for creating a music district in Uptown.

“You have the Riv [Riviera Theatre], you have the Aragon. ... We have a downtown theater district. Should there be an Uptown music district, given our history with labels as well as the club scene, which is truly, truly unique around the country?” Emanuel asked.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; March 8th, 2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Please post only a portion of an article.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #164
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Update on the New Admiral at the Lake - Jan 2010 (***PDF***)

Update on The New Admiral at the Lake
Construction expected to begin this spring on Chicago’s lakefront

Strong response to the combined
marketing efforts of The Kendal
Corporation and The New Admiral
at the Lake has garnered more
than 75% reservation deposits for
the 31-story Life Care/Continuing
Care Retirement Community to be
built on Chicago’s lakefront. Those
deposits, combined with a thawing
of the financial markets in the senior
housing sector, have put The New
Admiral firmly on a path toward
financing and the beginning of
construction in the spring.

Having already secured all of
the permits and licenses necessary
to construct and operate the
community, The Admiral’s team of
advisers and contractors have begun
taking the final steps necessary to
secure construction and long-term
financing.

Admiral SSP Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
The Admiral in Uptown... a slow but steady race.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_8548 by HomrQT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_8549 by HomrQT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_8553 by HomrQT, on Flickr
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:22 AM   #165
untitledreality

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...realestate-hed
87 condos at Irving Park and Sheridan

By Jeanette Almada
Special to the Tribune
Published July 1, 2007

A mixed-use project with 87 condominiums will replace an old gas station on Irving Park Road, near Sheridan Road.

Loukas Development Group will develop the project through SEC Sheridan Irving Park LLC.

Loukas will build the project on a 19,616-square-foot site at 943-957 W. Irving Park Rd. and 3947-3957 N. Sheridan Rd.

"We have owned the site for about three years. We live in the neighborhood and are very concerned about what our project looks like [and] worked long to design something that we can be proud of," Tony Loukas, president of Loukas Development Group, said June 27.

The gas station will be demolished, according to a Chicago Department of Planning and Development project manager who won Plan Commission approval for it June 21. Approval was needed because the site was originally zoned to allow an 87-foot building, and the proposed building will be a little more than 100 feet. The new zoning allows a building of up to 142 feet. City Council approval is needed.

Loukas will build a 12-story building with 87 condos, 87 parking spaces and ground-floor retail space.

The condos will consist of 50 one-bedroom units from 725 to 860 square feet; 34 two-bedroom units with 1,155 to 1,285 square feet; and three three-bedroom units with 1,500 to 1,800 square feet, the Planning Department project manager told commissioners.

Eighty-three units will be sold at market rates. "We have not yet finalized our design so are not sure about the final prices. But we expect that our one-bedroom units will be priced from about mid-$200,000, and that our largest two-bedroom units will be around $400,000," Loukas said.

Pappageorge Haymes is designing the building.

Under its agreement with the city, Loukas will sell four units (two two-bedroom and two one-bedroom units) at the affordable price of $145,000. Those units will be sold to buyers earning up to 100 percent of the average area income, or $75,000 for a family of four.

Loukas negotiated that agreement, according to the Chicago Department of Housing's Chicago Partners for Affordable Neighborhoods program, before the City Council approved an ordinance that requires developers of housing projects with any city assistance to set aside at least 10 percent of their units as affordable housing.

Loukas hopes to begin construction in early 2008.
Don't know if you ended up posting this project somewhere else, but I just rode by the site today as I was biking down Sheridan and they have started site prep/foundation work. Brand spanking new fence and signs up and a lot of activity going on.

....unfortunately Uptown Update is reporting that they have scrapped the initial 12 story mixed use design in favor of a single story Walgreens.

Yet another case of where I would prefer no development to development.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:14 AM   #166
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

^unbelievable
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #167
mohammed wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
^unbelievable
Technically this is lakeview.
As the site is south of Irving Park.
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #168
BFA

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post

....unfortunately Uptown Update is reporting that they have scrapped the initial 12 story mixed use design in favor of a single story Walgreens.

Yet another case of where I would prefer no development to development.
Sorry guys - but I'd prefer the Walgreens over the 12 story "mixed use" development on this lot any day of the week. The housing market is saturated as it is and the absolute last thing we need is for MORE HOUSING.
BFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #169
untitledreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
The housing market is saturated as it is and the absolute last thing we need is for MORE HOUSING.
Tell that to everyone seeing their rents jacked up this year in Lakeview... myself included.

A stand alone Walgreens on this corner is a joke
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #170
BFA

I'm sorry, I was under the impression the planned development was condos not apartments.
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #171
BFA

Quote:
Tell that to everyone seeing their rents jacked up this year in Lakeview... myself included.

Have you considered moving to another part of Lakeview? I know the rental market is still very soft despite what the headlines will tell you. You can still find a ton of deals out there.
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #172
untitledreality

Quote:
I'm sorry, I was under the impression the planned development was condos not apartments.
It was, but considering the high rise apartment boomlet currently taking place it could have been a relatively painless switch while still creating additional density smack next to a transit station.

Instead... Walgreens.
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #173
untitledreality

Quote:
Have you considered moving to another part of Lakeview? I know the rental market is still very soft despite what the headlines will tell you. You can still find a ton of deals out there.
I only saw a 5% increase... and given my location/quality/size (and relative cheapness) of apartment I'll just suck it up. But in talking with my landlord, he is seeing incredible demand on all of his Lakeview units, all future vacancies lease out in under a week, all with 8-10% rent increases for the incoming tenants when compared to the outgoing. Its pretty impressive.
Old August 11th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #174
skyduster4

oops wrong username.

Last edited by skyduster4; August 11th, 2011 at 06:03 AM.
skyduster4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #175
skyduster

Likes (Received): 323

That's me. Long story. Anyways:

Re: Admiral

It's not too bad. I love the decorative feature at the top, which -in combination with the tower's shape- looks like an homage to art deco. I have a weakness for American 1920s/30s urbanity, so I gotta commend the architect(s).

Not too crazy about the balconies, but it is residential, and a standard feature for residential towers nowadays. At least this is not downtown, so it works.

Not too crazy about the first few floors of the building, which look like a suburban/rural Best Western. Of course, artistic renderings don't always do justice to the actual project (so, we'll to wait and see), but judging from this picture, it looks like a retro-20s tower with a more contemporary "podium"...it just doesn't match. I'll just wait until it's finished, but overall, I like it, especially for Uptown (perfect height for Uptown).

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 05:19 PM   #176
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1446

Quote:

To make things better - they started work quick on this Walgreens and got it about 1/3 finished, then a few weeks ago everyone just left the place abandoned and no one has been back since.
Old August 31st, 2011, 05:23 PM   #177
BFA

August 23rd Town Hall minutes

Quote:
Walgreens at Irving Park/Sheridan
A new Walgreens is getting built at the NE corner of Irving Park Road/Sheridan. There’s a slow-up due to a decision about the electrical lines.
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #178
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Uptown Theatre

Another Uptown Theatre article.....

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,2070595.story

Uptown Theatre: Polishing an old jewel
Venue has sat empty for nearly 30 years, but its owners see it as the anchor of a revitalized music district on the North Side, a vision supported by Mayor Rahm Emanuel

By Mark Caro Tribune reporter

5:04 p.m. CDT, October 11, 2011

.......Your jaw drops," said Mayor Rahm Emanuel, whose support for this crumbling, 86-year-old theater has triggered renewed hopes for a revitalized Uptown neighborhood. "It's stunning."

The space is big enough for Chicago Bears scrimmages and elegant enough for a royal ball. The almost pristine gray and black marble floor leads to a pair of curved, majestic, red-carpeted staircases and is flanked by ornate pillars, figurines, grates, gargoyles, carvings, frescoes and other ornamentations so intricate and beautifully rendered that it would take weeks to admire them all. One floor-to-ceiling slice of column and wall shines brighter than the others, its 24-carat gold and silver leaf designs restored 20 years ago to show how this jewel used to gleam.

That's just the main lobby. Pass through numerous other spaces, all designed contrastingly and painstakingly, and eventually you reach the Uptown Theatre's sprawling, gracefully raked, dramatically domed auditorium, which boasts what was billed on the theater's 1925 opening-night marquee as "an acre of seats in a magic city."............

Yet despite a continued economic downturn that has dried up public and private funding sources, a newfound sense of optimism is gathering around the prospect of eventually reopening Uptown Theatre as an anchor to an Uptown entertainment district. Mickelson has been pushing for such a development since he and his Jam partner Arny Granat (and their spinoff company, UTA II) bought the theater out of bankruptcy in 2008 for a reported $3.2 million, but Emanuel has moved the issue to the front burner with his recent declarations of support for a music hub in the neighborhood.

"It can happen now because people are finally seeing the intertwined connection between culture and economic development," the mayor said in an interview Monday.

The two new aldermen who represent the quirkily divided neighborhood — Harry Osterman of the 48th Ward (which includes the Uptown Theatre and Green Mill Jazz Club a few doors south) and James Cappleman of the 46th (which includes the nearby Riviera Theatre and Aragon Ballroom) — are encouraging the effort, as are various city departments. Mickelson also recently signed on Phil Tagami, an Oakland-based developer who spearheaded the pricey but neighborhood-transforming restoration of that city's historic Fox Theater, as a consultant. Tagami is in town this week for meetings with Mickelson, the aldermen, city officials and community representatives.

"It's like the stars are all in alignment," said Michelle Boone, the city's Cultural Affairs and Special Events commissioner.

Of course, the stars are one thing. Money is another. Mickelson's estimated price tag for restoring the Uptown to its former glory?

$70 million.............

"This intersection was like Times Square," Syfczak said. "You had the Aragon Ballroom across the street, the Riviera Theatre, this place operating, a lot of (other) clubs; there was a lot of activity in this neighborhood. But when the neighborhood declined in the late '60s and early '70s, it of course contributed to the decline of the theater also."...........

Steps have been taken to stem the deterioration and to preserve what's there. Several years ago chunks of the glazed terra cotta facade were removed, cataloged and stored inside the building, and Mickelson said he and Granat have been putting six figures (he wouldn't say high or low) into the place annually to keep it repaired, heated, cooled and at proper moisture levels.

But that's all just maintenance. Mickelson's plans go far beyond that.

2 needs: Time and money

In 2000, the Urban Land Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit research and education organization, issued a 48-page advisory report on how to transform the Uptown Entertainment District. The recommendations are as specific as what new street lamps should look like, but the broader stroke is that Uptown Theatre is the area's "crown jewel" and "one of the most outstanding theaters in the United States … a major historic and aesthetic treasure that must be maintained."

The economic picture has changed since the institute's report, but an Uptown neighborhood flush with new development and activities remains the vision being chased by Mickelson and the city.

"This could make the Uptown area a great entertainment district that could drive the economy of that area with more restaurants and more other types of retail and commercial life that would really take off," Emanuel said, citing the Old Town School of Folk Music's impact on Lincoln Square.

Mickelson and Granat hired the local architecture firm Booth Hansen, which restored the Loop's Bank of America Theatre (formerly known as the LaSalle Bank Theatre, the Shubert and the Majestic), to draw up a feasibility study, which was issued in fall 2009. The firm presented three options, ranging from a plan that would make the building merely operational again (about $55 million) to one that would restore the theater completely ($70.8 million).

"You can go in and fix the structural problems — make the exiting work, put in more bathrooms — and it will be functional," Booth Hansen principal/director George Halik said. "I think the real challenge is to get enough support and money to make it a real jewel, which it is, and not just a big space."...........

But Tagami, the Oakland-based developer, said he was surprised to see how well-preserved the Uptown was when he first visited. Tagami had told Mickelson he wouldn't take on this project unless he fell in love with the building.

"It's an amazing building with a great history and a great story, and quite frankly it's in a wonderful community," Tagami said. "You can't spend enough time there. I'm used to seeing historic structures that are in far worse condition. The building has very good bones.".........

Still, a ton of money must be raised from sources both private (corporate naming rights are being discussed) and public. Tagami said Oakland's Fox Theater project, which included an addition built for a new performing-arts school, drew its almost-$90 million budget from more than 20 sources. Now he and Mickelson are trying to line up a network of potential incentives and programs to help finance the Uptown, including city tax increment financing, federal new market tax credits (to spur investments in low-income communities) and historic preservation tax incentives (rebates for work on buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places, which the Uptown is)...........

Mickelson said the next 12 months will be key to laying out a plan, and the theater's restoration would take another two years following that. To set any timetable now, Tagami said — or even to estimate costs — would be jumping the gun. He noted that for the Fox, which had been shuttered since 1966, he wrote his first proposal in 1997, and it hosted its first shows in February 2009.........

He'd like to remove the floor-level seats and tier the main floor a la the Riviera, raising the capacity to about 5,000. Rene Rabiela Jr., who tried to spearhead a restoration effort before Mickelson took over — and whose father previously owned the Uptown— said he's rooting for Mickelson but would prefer to see the seats maintained.

With the largest outdoor amphitheaters and arenas struggling in the current rock concert climate, Mickelson said he could see booking 80-100 shows a year at the Uptown. To what extent such bookings might take business from other theaters remains an open question, though Mickelson said the Uptown would attract different types of shows than the all-general-admission Aragon, with its capacity of 4,900.........
Old November 14th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #179
HomrQT
All American City Boy

Likes (Received): 131

I've been out of town a while on business. Anyone have any new/recent shots of the admiral? I read it was topped out recently. Thanks in advance!
HomrQT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #180
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

bump