daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #21
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

http://www.chicagograystone.com/halsted/ I cannot believe that... it is only a few blocks from my apartment. I'll have to look careful to get a good glimpse to what is there now. It is just North of Diversey at about Wellington on the East side of the street.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #22
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

La Riviere
2825 N Oakley Ave
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #23
ChicagoLover

Likes (Received): 0

I like the rendering of that last development. But is that really technically in Lake View?
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #24
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
La Riviere
2825 N Oakley Ave
^ Not sure about this one.

I'm not liking the way it relates to the street, or shall I say lack of a street?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #25
spyguy
Expert

The Wilhelm
2435 West Belmont
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #26
spyguy
Expert

541 West Cornelia

Old May 10th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #27
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

The infill keeps getting more and more elegant in this area.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #28
spyguy
Expert

Little bit different
Old May 28th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #29
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I like the Wilhelm a few posts up. Apart from those windows, it does an excellent job with the Prairie style, looking very Larkin-Building-ish, and the green roof and windowboxes just add to the whole Prairie concept.

So yeah, any new Prairie-style in the city is good.

And spyguy - is that ground-floor retail?? The storefronts look like the classic ones in the Loop! Apart from the huge garage door, it looks to be a sweet building.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #30
spyguy
Expert

http://www.nbc5.com/news/9420449/detail.html

Neighbors Try To Save Historic Home
June 23, 2006

A group of Chicago residents were racing against time to try and save a landmark home in Lakeview, NBC5 reported on Friday.

The home, on West Stratford Place, is 117 years old, and is believed to be the only surviving frame home by the late architects Louis Sullivan and Dankmar Adler.

Neighbors, worried that the house might be demolished to make way for condominiums, are collecting signatures. The owner has applied for a remodeling permit in the past.
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #31
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/output/busin...n-jewel27.html

Jewel parent to expand N. Side store
July 27, 2006
BY SANDRA GUY
Business Reporter

The Jewel grocery store at Southport and Addison in the Lake View neighborhood will be replaced by a combination Jewel-Osco store nearly twice the size of the existing store, Jewel-Osco's new owner announced Wednesday.

The two-story, 52,000-square-foot Jewel-Osco store, slated to open by fall 2008, will feature 130 parking spaces in an underground parking garage and an upgraded grocery and drugstore.

The project will require the existing stand-alone Jewel grocery store, at 3552 N. Southport Ave., to be closed for about 10 months, said Joe McKeska, vice president of store development for Jewel-Osco owner Supervalu. The existing Jewel store measures 30,000 square feet.

"This would be a one-of-a-kind design, given the constraints of the site," McKeska said of the new, two-story Jewel-Osco store.

A second floor mezzanine area of 12,000 square feet will be used for food preparation and back-room storage.

The Jewel store, several blocks from Wrigley Field in a gentrified, upscale neighborhood, needed an upgrade, and its sister Osco store across the street is being transformed into a CVS drugstore, Jewel and Supervalu spokesmen said.

CVS acquired 150 stand-alone Osco stores, including the one at 3637 N. Southport, as part of a deal in which Supervalu bought most of Albertson's for $12.8 billion. Supervalu, which became the country's third-largest grocer by revenue as a result of the deal, sold off the stand-alone Osco stores to avert concerns about it gaining too much dominance in Chicago and other markets.

Jewel spokeswoman Lauri Sanders said, "We recognized we were losing the [Osco] site across the street, and it would make good business sense if we made major renovations [to the stand-alone Jewel grocery store]."

Supervalu CEO Jeff Noddle announced the Chicago project during a conference call Wednesday detailing the Minneapolis-based company's first-quarter earnings.

McKeska said the project is in "the concept phase," and he expects it to win the support of Ald. Tom Tunney (44th) and the community.

Supervalu said its first-quarter income dropped, hit by the costs of its acquisition of more than 1,100 Albertson's stores, including the 200-store Jewel-Osco chain, and by stock-option expensing. Supervalu reduced its fiscal 2007 earnings outlook to reflect the costs.
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #32
The Urban Politician
The City

^ I don't know what it is, but I have a thing for 2 level grocery stores. Just the concept is SO cool
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #33
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^ I don't know what it is, but I have a thing for 2 level grocery stores. Just the concept is SO cool

yeah i like 'em too, there is really nice one on wabash south of roosevelt,
i believe that is a jewel too?

this is really nice to see expansion and health of a non dominicks grocery store, chicago really needs better variety in grocery stores.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #34
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I thought that was a one-story Jewel. It looks that way, although I've never been in it. Either way, it has an unhealthy amount of surface lottage.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #35
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila
I thought that was a one-story Jewel. It looks that way, although I've never been in it. Either way, it has an unhealthy amount of surface lottage.
^ Perhaps by expanding (and by placing the parking underground) this parking lot will either be filled out by the larger store, or be sold for another development. I hope to see something like that eventually happen with the Jewel on Roosevelt and Wabash
Old July 28th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #36
High Life on LSD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila
It is a two-story store, but the top floor is only liquor. They sure make good use of the space in that store, having everything you need in a pretty small lot.
High Life on LSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM   #37
spyguy
Expert

Good news - I think

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...ck=1&cset=true

No condos: Sullivan house to remain a home

By Blair Kamin

Tribune architecture critic
Published July 27, 2006

The owner of a Lakeview house designed by renowned Chicago architects Louis Sullivan and Dankmar Adler has backed off from the possibility of tearing down the house and replacing it with condominiums.

The owner, Natalie Frank, said in an interview Tuesday that she plans to continue the ongoing renovation of the 118-year-old home and that she will live there herself once it is complete.

Frank acknowledged that her contractor had looked into a demolition and "we did some drawings" to see what a condominium building would look like. But she credited her husband, Peter Morris, from whom she has made an "amicable separation," with providing the financial support that will allow the renovation to proceed.

"I'm really happy," she said, sitting on a metal chair in the middle of the home's gutted interior, not far from a broad, wood staircase that seems to bear the imprint of Sullivan's nature-inspired ornament. "It's a great family home."

Neighbors, who formed a group called SOS (Save Our Sullivan), are likely to be happy, too, though it is unclear whether Frank will restore the much-altered house at 600 W. Stratford Pl. to its original state -- a picturesque, clapboard-clad home with a wraparound porch.

Known as the George M. Harvey House and located just a block west of Temple Sholom, a Byzantine Revival edifice at 3480 N. Lake Shore Drive, the house is thought to be the only remaining wood-frame house designed by Adler & Sullivan. The great, late 19th Century architectural pair specialized in steel-frame office buildings and grand, multiuse structures such as the Auditorium Building.

The ample, three-story house also reveals the history of Lakeview, which was a leafy suburb before it was annexed into Chicago in 1889.

A young Frank Lloyd Wright, then Adler & Sullivan's chief draftsman, may have worked on the house, architectural historians have speculated. They cite such details as the spare, square motifs atop the staircase's balusters.

"What's unusual about the house is that Adler & Sullivan did very few wood buildings of free-standing, large-scale suburban houses," said Tim Samuelson, the city's cultural historian. "This is really the only survivor of those."

The prospect of demolition was painful to many architecture buffs because this year -- Sept. 3, to be exact -- marks the 150th anniversary of Sullivan's birth, and the year already has witnessed a fire that did severe damage to Adler & Sullivan's Pilgrim Baptist Church on the South Side.

But the house is much altered from its original state, missing such key elements as the wraparound porch.

As a result, the preservationists who banded together to save it -- including Landmarks Illinois, Preservation Chicago and the Richard Nickel Committee --appeared to face significant hurdles in their quest to have the building declared an official city landmark.

"There have been some substantial changes to the original structure, which may impact any final decision," a spokeswoman for the city's Department of Planning and Development, said before Frank announced she would not tear down the house.

Frank said she bought the house in the mid-1990s, not knowing it had been designed by Adler & Sullivan. Only when architecture buffs knocked on the door, she said, did she realize the home's significance.

As a result of her separation, she said, she had to consider many financial options, including selling the house or tearing it down and building condominiums. She did not apply for a demolition permit, she said.

"I think there was a lot of jumping the gun," she said, alluding to speculation that the house would be torn down.

The Richard Nickel Committee, named for the photographer who fell to his death from the unstable floors of Adler & Sullivan's Chicago Stock Exchange Building while recording its demolition, has promised to make available original drawings of the house to Frank.

But it is uncertain if she will use them. She already has her own drawings for the renovation, she said, adding that she might modify them, but it would depend on the cost.
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #38
BFA

Likes (Received): 0

Does anybody have an update to the Dominick's that was burned down on Broadway and Barry? I live close to that store (most reasonably priced store in the area) and last I read there was a spat between the owners (original Dominick's family) and Dominick's company (the family sold the company a LONG time ago and simply owns the underlying land). The family wanted to sell to the highest bidder -- even if that meant Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, which the alderman and Dominick's wants a Dominick's there.

I have not heard squat over this ...
BFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #39
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=22495

New condo-retail development planned in Lakeview
Oct. 18, 2006
By Thomas A. Corfman

Developer Centrum Properties Inc. is planning an estimated 360,000-square-foot development on a key site in Lakeview that would include retailing, condominiums and a public plaza.

The project, with as many 130 condo units, would be on the northeast corner of the three-way intersection of Belmont Street and Ashland and Lincoln avenues, according to plans for the project.

Executives with Chicago-based Centrum could not be reached for comment.

The development would include retail and commercial space on the first two floors, with residential units above. The exact amount of retail space could not be determined. A parking garage for about 325 cars would be located below street level.

The development, with as many as six stories, is to be completed by 2008 and would replace several existing structures, including a LaSalle Bank branch at 3201 N. Ashland Ave. The size of the project is estimated based on information in plans submitted for city zoning approval.

Opportunities for such a large-scale development in one of Chicago's trendiest neighborhoods are rare, which may have helped boost the price of the property.

In December, Centrum paid about $20.1 million for the 2.74-acre site, or roughly $168 per square foot, property records show. LaSalle Bank owned most of the site; a small portion was owned by a private investor.

LaSalle would apparently return to the development with a drive-through facility and a branch bank at the corner of Ashland Avenue and Melrose Street.

A 9,000-square-foot plaza would be located at the corner of Belmont and Ashland, while a somewhat smaller park would be located along Melrose, east of Ashland.

----------
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #40
The Urban Politician
The City

^ nice job finding the pic, Spyguy