daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #61
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Nice find. Even though it's rather short, I think the horizontal design works and will be interesting to see.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM   #62
Chicago3rd

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Looks like the residential development on the Dominick's Broadway site will be called Broadway 3030:

Very nice. Perfect height and style for that neighborhood. It is very exciting to see the parking lot gone!!!
Chicago3rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #63
jsk1983

^Work on that site should be beginning soon. I got a letter in the mail today from the bank there that it will moving as of December 15th.
jsk1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #64
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

From this AM's Trib:

By Joshua Boak and Robert Manor | Tribune reporters
January 24, 2008

A Chicago developer unveiled plans in the city's Wrigleyville neighborhood Wednesday night for a nine-story, mixed-use development with a hotel that would stand virtually eye-to-eye with Wrigley Field.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,715363.story
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #65
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

While I think the current space (a 7-Eleven and a bunch of concrete) could certainly be improved, I like the fact that Wrigley is easily the tallest structure in the entire neighborhood (west of Halsted, of course.) It helps reinforce the spirit of the neighborhood: all things revolve around the stadium. Adding a 9-story building (or two, if the other development on the west side is approved) will dampen the charm.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #66
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
While I think the current space (a 7-Eleven and a bunch of concrete) could certainly be improved, I like the fact that Wrigley is easily the tallest structure in the entire neighborhood (west of Halsted, of course.) It helps reinforce the spirit of the neighborhood: all things revolve around the stadium. Adding a 9-story building (or two, if the other development on the west side is approved) will dampen the charm.
What is proposed for the West side?
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #67
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
^ Yeah, those charming parking lots. Please..
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #68
PrintersRowBoiler

Bar Louie, the Improv Olympics, 7-11, I think a car wash, Salt & Pepper Diner, Goose Island, and a bunch of concrete. The only places in that group that will be missed is Goose Island and Improv Olympics, IO is supposed to get a nice new venue in the new development (their existing facility kinda suck). Goose Island leavin would suck but I bet they find another place on Clark Street.

Last edited by PrintersRowBoiler; January 25th, 2008 at 05:33 AM.
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #69
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

Likes (Received): 0

This is the best thing to happen to the area! Not only is the building useful and attractive, it will cover up all of those lots! And the 7-11 will not be missed that much. And with such limited space in such an already crowded area, I'm not surprised to see the interest in building up.
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #70
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_addict View Post
This is the best thing to happen to the area! Not only is the building useful and attractive, it will cover up all of those lots! And the 7-11 will not be missed that much. And with such limited space in such an already crowded area, I'm not surprised to see the interest in building up.
I disagree that it is the "best thing." The ugliest building on that stretch with as many billboards as they can cram on it is the one to be saved (the sports memorabilia store on the corner). Many of the empty lots are going but we still have the McDonalds, Taco Bell, and bank drive throughs that I'd rather see go. It is a shame that they will take out the beautiful Goose Island and Salt and Pepper buildings. I'd rather see buildings on the 3-5 story range on this stretch of Clark and directly across from the stadium to keep the Wrigleyville charm and feel. I like that this COULD be considered TOD, but I doubt that is likely thanks to the 150 stall garage, hotel, and apartments. Have you seen the parking podium on Addison!? That essentially is what is replacing the 7-11 and parking lot.

Instead, I would rather see the large, transit-oriented development to be placed on Sheffield or East of Sheffield and away from the "Clark Street streetwall" unless they can fit in and only displace empty lots or some of the "crappier" buildings (i.e. the sports shop).
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #71
wrabbit

^ Yeah, that McDonald's lot needs to go...Ronald should be putting his best foot forward here; could the guys at McDonald's HQ all be Sox fans?
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #72
The Urban Politician
The City

So are we discussing this Wrigleyville development in 2 different threads or what?
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #73
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Manhattanize Wrigleyville!
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:01 AM   #74
Frumie

Wirtz Corp plans Lakeview condo tower. The site includes a render.

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=28252
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:48 AM   #75
The Urban Politician
The City

The NIMBY'S are coming! The NIMBY'S are coming!
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:42 AM   #76
BFA

$19M Seed Jump-Starts Condo, Retail Project

Surprised this hadn't been posted yet.

http://www.globest.com/news/1122_112.../169374-1.html

Quote:
$19M Seed Jump-Starts Condo, Retail Project

CHICAGO-A joint venture between JFJ Development Co. and Dionysus Enterprises LLC have received an $18.9-million pre-development loan for a residential and retail development in Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood.

Dennis Nyren, a principal with locally based MJ Partners Capital Services, says the development at 3030 N. Broadway St. will be constructed in two phases. The estimated cost for the 150,000-sf phase one is about $50 million, he tells GlobeSt.com.

First Bank in St. Louis and M&I Bank in Milwaukee provided first mortgage financing to cover pre-development costs and refinance a loan for the land acquisition. Nyren says the financing has a three-year term and a loan-to-value of 75%.

Nyren and Jeff Jacobsen, also with MJ Partners, arranged financing. The locally based joint venture will use the funds for pre-development expenses like a sales office, Nyren says.

The project is being developed on the site of Dominick's Finer Foods, a 20,000-sf grocery store that burned down in 2004. "It is a great infill location," Nyren says.

The first phase is a five-story building with 45,000-sf Dominick's grocery store at street level and topped off by 53 condominium units. A 3,200-sf National City Bank also will be part of the first phase. Dominick's signed a 20-year lease with six five-year renewal options, according to Nyren. National City Bank signed a 10-year lease with three five-year renewal options.

The condominiums will average 1,544 sf, with outdoor terraces ranging from 400 sf. "They are huge outdoor terraces, which is like another room," Nyren says. The sales price for the units most likely will be $650,000 to $2.2 million, he says. There will be 111 residential parking spaces in the basement and an 82-space level above the store for customers. "There is no product like this in Lakeview where you can drive to your own heated parking space, take the elevator up to Dominick's, do your shopping and then go up to your [unit] and have your dinner," Nyren says, pointing out that most apartments and condominiums have street parking.

Phase one construction is expected to begin this summer. Residential units are being marketed by @Properties. Dominick's is expected to open in fourth quarter 2009 and the residential units ready for occupancy 90 to 120 days later, Nyren says.

The first phase is being constructed on a 50,000-sf parcel fronting Broadway Street. The second phase--a four-story building with 35 condos--will be constructed on an adjacent 21,890-sf parcel fronting Waterloo Court. The cost of the second phase was not available.
BFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:26 PM   #77
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 63

Nice! I'd been wondering when they'd ever get something done with that vacant lot. I've only been living in Chicago for about 15 months, so I wasn't aware about the fire and what had been there before. Having the new grocery store in the area will be great for residents. Now they will no longer have to trek all the way up to Jewel near Broadway & Addison.

(I know there is a grocery store on Diversey in between Clark and Pine Grove, but that's a smaller store and I've noticed somewhat higher prices.)
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM   #78
PrintersRowBoiler

I used to live a few blocks from there and literally watched the fire burn the place down from the first signs of smoke to a pile of rubbish within a few hours. The place was great for the neighborhood and many people would push their granny carts here and there were always tons of bikes outside from the people that rode their bikes there (I believe that was in June of 2005). It seemed like everyone knew the people that worked there and it was truly a neighborhood grocery store. Dominick's promised the neighborhood they would rebuild them a store within one year. I suppose Safeway stepped in with big eyes (just like they have been doing in a number of ways) and changed that... but the end result should be great for the neighborhood, but just will take 3 years too late.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:18 AM   #79
PrintersRowBoiler

http://www.hparchitecture.com/

You can see the rendering here. I personally hate it. It is a modern looking building that stretches the entire lot on a street of (and across from) small, brick, boutique buildings. A bit overwhelming. It would not be as bad if it were set back from the sidewalk (at least give room for people to park their bikes or wait with their groceries while their partner gets their car).

Why would they put the condo owner's parking in the basement? I suppose the easy answer is to fit more parking spaces to sell in the basement. But the owners have to deal with the structure of the building including support for a parking level and grocery store, they have to extend the owner's elevators down one more floor (the store needs a 2-level elevator anyway), the owners likely could not opt to take the stairs, and it seems less desirable for the owners because they have to take a 3-level elevator ride to their cars instead of one. It just seems weird you would have deeded spaces and common elements of an association separated by the two levels.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:28 AM   #80
Chicago2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post

The NIMBY'S are coming! The NIMBY'S are coming!
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the Big Shoulders
Chicago2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote