daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2008, 04:27 AM   #81
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
http://www.hparchitecture.com/

You can see the rendering here. I personally hate it. It is a modern looking building that stretches the entire lot on a street of (and across from) small, brick, boutique buildings. A bit overwhelming. It would not be as bad if it were set back from the sidewalk (at least give room for people to park their bikes or wait with their groceries while their partner gets their car).

Why would they put the condo owner's parking in the basement? I suppose the easy answer is to fit more parking spaces to sell in the basement. But the owners have to deal with the structure of the building including support for a parking level and grocery store, they have to extend the owner's elevators down one more floor (the store needs a 2-level elevator anyway), the owners likely could not opt to take the stairs, and it seems less desirable for the owners because they have to take a 3-level elevator ride to their cars instead of one. It just seems weird you would have deeded spaces and common elements of an association separated by the two levels.
^ Your obsession with parking really needs to go away.

And what's wrong with a modern looking building? "Overwhelming the neighborhood"? Oh, so you're a NIMBY now, great. That's exactly what Chicago needs more of. That and (according to you) parking garages, right?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM   #82
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 69

I don't understand why a person's dislike for a modern structure means they're a nimby? I actually agree with him that the modern building seems a bit out of place with the other buildings in the neighborhood. And I'm certainly not a nimby as I most definitely want the structure built there. I don't dislike modern at all. I guess I'm just more partial to brick in this instance since nearly everything else along that stretch of Broadway is brick. But in the end it's important to get something built and I'm sure I'll come to like it more once it is finished.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:43 AM   #83
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I really like it, but I do worry about how this building will "feel" from the sidewalk. Big-box stores don't exactly have a "warm fuzzy neighborhood" feeling from the outside (aka Home Depot on Halstead). Maybe the rendering doesn't have all the details along the sidewalk yet. It'll be interesting to see how much of the 1st floor is 'open' to the inside, as opposed to just blacked out glass. (The rendering just shows all black windows, which helps make it look darker and colder than it probably will when it's finished. A cost-saving way to create renders, I know, but doesn't help sell it as warm and inviting.)
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:32 AM   #84
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

For the record, I am very excited that this lot will be developed and what is included in the scope of the project. I am not opposed to the bulk or anything that will be brought to this neighborhood by this development. I just think that the building does not reflect the neighborhood and gives nothing to a person walking down the street (this is a street that a lot of pedestrians walk down). I am glad to see more density and a parking lot gone. I am glad to see that a neighborhood grocery store twice the size of the previous one will be there. I am glad to see parking hidden behind a curtain wall and underground instead of a surface lot. But I just don't like the architecture. How does that make me a NIMBY? I have been following the future of this lot, and was ecstatic when I read the TEXT of the article. I say yes! in my backyard, but don't plant a palm tree in a Chicago backyard...
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #85
BFA

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
Nice! I'd been wondering when they'd ever get something done with that vacant lot. I've only been living in Chicago for about 15 months, so I wasn't aware about the fire and what had been there before. Having the new grocery store in the area will be great for residents. Now they will no longer have to trek all the way up to Jewel near Broadway & Addison.

(I know there is a grocery store on Diversey in between Clark and Pine Grove, but that's a smaller store and I've noticed somewhat higher prices.)

BFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #86
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.3030broadway.com/

As for it being too modern or bulky for its surroundings, isn't the Brighton building basically just across the street?
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #87
jsk1983

I live practically across the street and I'm not sure what the Brighton Building is. No, the building doesn't fit in, but if we were to demand something that did I'm sure it would be a cartoon knock-off of nineteenth century vernacular complete with dry-vit cornices.
jsk1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #88
spyguy
Expert

It's on Wellington. It's a pretty modern looking 9 story building by Pappageorge Haymes.
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #89
jsk1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
It's on Wellington. It's a pretty modern looking 9 story building by Pappageorge Haymes.
Okay, I know what one your talking about. I live two doors down, didn't know it had a name. Despite being taller than its neighbors it seems to fit in fairly well. Its alot more attractive than all the 3 + 1 around the neighborhood. The rendering does make 3030 look bulky and imposing though. Perhaps thats just the way it comes across in the rendering since it of course is meant to showcase the building.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #90
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...522&TM=265.749

Lake View developers teetering under weight of national slump
Centrum Properties’ Lofts among those reshuffling plans

By IAN FULLERTON

One project that has been reworked several times in the past year is the Lofts at Lakeview Collection, originally envisioned by Centrum Properties of 225 W. Hubbard as a $100 million, mixed-use complex.

"We're looking at our development plan and trying to see what makes sense," said John McLinden, Centrum's principal for the project, who confirmed that the shaky housing market has slowed progress.

...But after reassessing Chicago's already strained condo market, Centrum announced in March that they would rent out the units as luxury apartments. Nick Stocking, the project's manager at the time, said then that the project would break ground in October with an estimated completion date toward the end of 2010.

However, according to Alderman Tom Tunney (44th), Centrum is now planning to nix the residential units altogether and increase the amount of commercial space.
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #91
spyguy
Expert

I checked http://www.addisonparkonclark.com and it seems like the design has changed again.

Old March 13th, 2009, 04:25 AM   #92
Urbanight

Looks...acceptable. I like the green on the terrace. The neighbors should accept this.
Urbanight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #93
jsk1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I checked http://www.addisonparkonclark.com and it seems like the design has changed again.

I noticed a Pace bus traveling up Clark. I guess Pace does run some routes for Cubs games so it's not totally unrealistic. Odd choice nonetheless.
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #94
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=33328

Advocate Ill. Masonic eyes Lakeview addition
By: Mike Colias March 16, 2009

Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center is seeking city approval to build an 11-story addition at the bustling Lakeview hospital.

Planning documents filed with the city last month request zoning amendments to clear the way for a “patient care pavilion,” slated for the north side of the 319-bed hospital at 836 W. Wellington Ave. The proposed 423,000-square-foot facility would be built along West Barry Avenue, just east of Sheffield Avenue.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #95
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=34180

Controversial fund to auction former Dominick’s site
By Eddie Baeb, May 27, 2009

A $7.9-million loan on a former Dominick’s site in Lake View is turning into a sour deal for a controversial investment fund managed by developer Allison Davis and a nephew of Mayor Richard Daley.

The fund managed by Mr. Davis and Daley nephew Robert Vanecko is seeking to auction off a site at 3012-3036 N. Broadway St. after an apparent default on the mezzanine loan by a venture owned by little-known Chicago developers Michael O’Connor and Jonathan Zitzman, according to a recently published notice of public sale.
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #96
Jibba

^DAMN IT.
Jibba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #97
PrintersRowBoiler

I am not dissappointed. I was not a big fan of this project. It was very strange too with the configuration. I hope they end up doing something that fits the neighborhood... and I would hope they have a Dominicks again.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:22 PM   #98
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder03.article

Wrigley Field roof is tops for developers
REAL ESTATE | Height cut for Clark-Addison project
Comments

June 3, 2009

BY DAVID ROEDER Sun-Times Columnist
Developers in Lake View have learned a lesson: If you want to build near Wrigley Field, you give the old park a little respect. Don't build higher than the Wrigley roof.

Plans for a more than $100 million hotel, apartment and retail complex southeast of Clark and Addison have been shaved to win community and aldermanic backing. Property owner Steven Schultz and M&R Development LLC took the equivalent of a floor or two off the tallest elements in the complex. No longer would they set a new height precedent for the neighborhood with buildings that seem to crane for a glimpse of Cubs action.

M&R partner Anthony Rossi said the project can be downsized because of the decision, made with architectural firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz, to move two levels of parking underground. It increases construction costs but means a couple lower levels formerly assigned to parking can be dressed up for retailers and made more attractive from the outside. Rossi said a health club has committed to occupy some of the space.

He said Global Hyatt Corp. is interested in operating and acquiring the 137-room hotel, which would be along Clark Street. A seven-story building on Addison would contain 135 apartments, down from an earlier scheme calling for nearly 200 units. Rossi said the size of the retail space has been reduced by nearly 25 percent, to 147,000 square feet....................
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:47 PM   #99
spyguy
Expert

^Good news about the underground parking.
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #100
ChicagoismynewBlog

I'm excited to see this project at least moving forward. I will always be a height junkie and I love the look of tall buildings all around a stadium...just my opinion though. This area needs something like this project badly because the current site is really underutilized with ugly retail spaces.

ChicagoismynewBlog no está en línea   Reply With Quote