daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #1
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

West Loop Development News

The Metro. 950 W. Monroe.

Lofthaus.

909 W. Washington.

Odyssey Lofts. 775 W. Jackson.

Zen Condos

Last edited by LA1; November 15th, 2005 at 06:04 AM.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #2
HowardL

Likes (Received): 1

One of my favorites in the neighborhood is the Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center. From their site

The Museum is pleased to announce the completion of our architectural design competition for the Museum's permanent home! Our competition began in 1999 with a request for interest from architectural firms, which generated a terrific response from 31 firms across the country. All firms were mailed a comprehensive request for qualifications that described what the Museum was looking for in a building. Eleven firms responded with highly professional profiles and it was the difficult task of the Museum architectural committee to narrow the applicants down to five.

The five firms chosen were BLDD Architects, Cordogan, Clark & Associates Inc., De Stefano & Partners, Pappageorge/Haymes, Ltd., and RKK&G Museum and Cultural Facilities Consultations, Inc. Each were given a competition program, which gave detailed information about our ideas for the permanent home. The firms were asked to complete and submit a model design and complimentary descriptive panels. On September 25, 2000, all five firms anonymously submitted models and panels. To ensure fairness, nowhere on the panels or designs were the firms identified.

On October 5, 2000, Museum board and staff members met in Greek Town with five jurors chosen to pick the winning design. The distinguished jurors were: Calvert Audrian, Vice President of Operations at the Art Institute of Chicago, George J. Efstatniou, partner in charge of project administration in the Chicago office of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, LLP, George Thomas Kapelos, Associate Professor in the Department of Architectural Science and Landscape Architecture at Ryerson Polytechnic University in Toronto, John Marks, chairman and CEO of Mark IV Realty Group and current vice president of the Museum in charge of financial affairs, and Lynne Warren, curator at the Museum Of Contemporary Art, Chicago. On October 6, 2000, the jury met from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and at the end of the day a winner was announced:

Pappageorge/Haymes, Ltd a Chicago based firm.
The design is a collaboration between firm architects George C. Pappageorge and Demetrios Stavrianos.
From this beautiful model we look forward to a permanent home that presents and perpetuates the Hellenic heritage.

The Museum would like to thank all of the architects who participated in the competition, our esteemed jurors, the architectural committee, Jerry Johnson (architectural advisor), and, of course, our members for their continued support.

And an image from Pappageorge/Haymes' site :
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #3
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Wasn't a groundbreaking ceremony recently held for that?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #4
Chicago Shawn

Likes (Received): 0

Not sure about a ground breaking ceremony, but the site has been cleared of the hardware store that used to sit there.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #5
The Urban Politician
The City

Just curious, what ever happened to that project (by Smithfield, I believe?) to develop a row of about 4 industrial buildings into rentals for UIC students? If I recall, 1 of the four buildings would be demolished and replaced with new construction, and the rest would be rehabbed.

If I'm correct, it was on west Van Buren. Did this project ever happen?
Old December 1st, 2006, 07:52 AM   #6
The Urban Politician
The City

Couldn't figure out the best thread to put this in, but it's a small new rendering of the GrandStation development planned at Grand, Halsted, and Milwaukee:

Old December 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM   #7
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

THis goes back at least two years (if not more)....

there was one high rise condo that was planned to stick out among the mid rise lofts and condos in the westgate area. i'm not sure of the exact location although I know it was directly on the Eisenhower, right north of UIC...I believe it probably was around Morgan.

I haven't seen a thing written about this project in over a year. I suppose it is dead. Does anyone know anything about it?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:01 PM   #8
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
Couldn't figure out the best thread to put this in, but it's a small new rendering of the GrandStation development planned at Grand, Halsted, and Milwaukee:

If that Grand Station logo doesn't win an award for "Logo of the Year", what would?????????????
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 03:19 PM   #9
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post

I think this development is a fantastic idea....that corner has been screaming for developmetn for years.....iI just hope it doesn't affect two of my fav bars.....Emmitts and richards
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:07 PM   #10
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

THose poor buildings have been totally greyed over for atleast TEN YEARS,
YEESH!
not all of them look terrible, but it will be nice to give this already great area MORE LIFE and more continuity between downtown and ukrainian village.
I mean people should be able to walk from this area to downtown, but you dont really see it happening because of the gaps in retail and dead zones in between,
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #11
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I dunno if this has ever been posted here. I got it from the FRDA website - a rendering of the planned Jewel at Desplaines/Kinzie.

Apparently, the parking garage is built OVER the train tracks, which you can sorta see in the lower right of the lower right view.

Oh, and one more thing: don't look too hard at the buildings in the background. You'll give yourself a headache trying to figure out how their positions are possible.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:52 AM   #12
Chicago Shawn

^Whoa, that image is WAY out of date. The second Kinzie Station tower has been cancelled since about 2002. The Jewel store will go forward, but the surrounding neighborhood will look different. The project has been held up over railroad ROW, which CDOT is trying to preserve for a future high speed rail corridor that would begin tunneling at this location and arrive at the West Loop Transportation Center in a subway.
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:55 AM   #13
Chicago Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
THis goes back at least two years (if not more)....

there was one high rise condo that was planned to stick out among the mid rise lofts and condos in the westgate area. i'm not sure of the exact location although I know it was directly on the Eisenhower, right north of UIC...I believe it probably was around Morgan.

I haven't seen a thing written about this project in over a year. I suppose it is dead. Does anyone know anything about it?
The loft buildings are finishing renovation into student housing. The high-rise is likley dead.
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:08 AM   #14
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Wait... The high-speed trains would go where....?

I don't picture the first phase of the Midwest High-Speed Rail going to any cities lying to the north of us.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:32 AM   #15
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
The loft buildings are finishing renovation into student housing. The high-rise is likley dead.
1035 West Van Buren?

Are you saying this because you feel it won't get approval or something else? If it helps, Winthrop Properties still lists the building under "Featured Properties"

Hopefully it goes through
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #16
paytonc
Pragmatist

MetraMarket to open in phases starting this year. Lars Sorenson in the Journal <http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=60&ArticleID=2866>

Minor construction is underway and three leases, including a French Market, have already been signed in a joint effort by Metra and U.S. Equities to develop two city blocks in the viaduct leading into Ogilvie Transportation Center. The 100,000-square-foot development, titled Metra Market, to be built within the two-block-long viaduct running from Lake St. to Washington Blvd., between Clinton and Canal Streets--long considered an eyesore--currently divides the West Loop neighborhood from the Chicago River and the restaurant and theatre corridors of the Loop.

The project is a public/private partnership between Metra and U.S. Equities, and has been ongoing for the past six years, according to Cassandra Francis, who worked for Metra before moving to U.S. Equities nearly 12 years ago. "We are currently putting the final stamp on financing," she said, "and expect to begin major construction within the next month or so."
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #17
skybuzz

Near West Side

It's been decided - I'm buying a condo unit at the 565 W. Quincy development!

There's a lot of stuff going on in this area (Metra Market, Old Post Office, etc.), and I'm always surprised that I don't see more posted on this site. I think Greektown has a lot more potential, as places like Meli (an amazing new breakfast/brunch place on Jackson and Halsted) open up and the hip and trendy restaurants of Randolph begin to spread south throughout the West Loop.

Take a look at Quincy: http://belgraviagroup.com/565quincy/index.php
skybuzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #18
Frumie

May you have many years of enjoyment!
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #19
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Redford eyes Fannie May site for theater

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/4...edford.article

Redford eyes Fannie May site for theater

May 24, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER Staff Reporter

Robert Redford’s theater chain that specializes in independent films said Thursday it plans to open an eight-screen operation on Chicago’s Near West Side.

Redford’s Sundance Cinemas has signed a lease to occupy 40,000 square feet in a new building developers hope to put up at 1137 W. Jackson.

The property is the site of old Fannie May candy factory, which closed in 2004. The size of the building is still to be negotiated with the city.

The plan is for the theaters to be part of commercial space on the lower floors, with residential floors on the upper levels, said Gary Pachucki, president of IBT Group, one of the developers. Pachucki said he hopes the theaters can open in 2009.

The property extends a full block south to Van Buren, where it has frontage along the Eisenhower Expressway. Its expected the Sundance Cinemas space will face the expressway.

Pachucki said it will be on the building’s third floor and that a related bar and restaurant will occupy a mezzanine.

It would be the fourth location for Sundance. The company opened May 11 in Madison, Wis., and is renovating a location in San Francisco.

It announced this week plans to open in Denver. Founded by Redford, Sundance has financial backing from Oaktree Capital Management.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #20
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=25246

Developer switches to apartments for West Loop site

By Alby Gallun

Adjusting to the shifting currents of the Chicago housing market, Evanston developer Robert Horner has dropped a plan for a condominium high-rise on a West Loop site next to the Eisenhower Expressway, deciding to build apartments there instead.

Renting apartments is much easier than selling condos these days, a big reason for the change, Mr. Horner says. He aims to break ground by early fall on the $80-million, 325-unit rental building at 1035 W. Van Buren St.

Amid a sluggish condo market, it would have taken a lot longer to sell enough units to secure financing for a condo project. Lenders generally won’t loan money to a condo development until buyers have signed contracts for about half of its units.

“We just felt that though there probably would be a market for this building as condos, it would probably be a very long presale period and (buyers) would be waiting for a long time” to move into their units, Mr. Horner says.

The apartment market, by contrast, is the best it has been since the beginning of the decade. Demand for apartments is strong amid a healthy job market, and supply has shrunk as developers have converted thousands of units into condos. Rents are rising and occupancies, though lower than a year ago, remain high by historical standards.

Though he has yet to secure a construction loan, Mr. Horner says he has received a term sheet for the project from HSBC Holdings PLC. With the University of Illinois at Chicago, Rush University Medical Center and the downtown financial district nearby, "We think there's a strong market, a consistent market that will support a building like that," he says.

Mr. Horner’s firm, Winthrop Properties LLC, has developed condos in Evanston and Chicago and owns about 2,000 apartments in both cities as well. Mr. Horner recently proposed his most ambitious project ever, a 37-story condo tower in the heart of downtown Evanston.

The West Loop project, designed by Chicago-based Fitzgerald Associates Architects, would be 23 stories under a zoning change approved by the Chicago City Council. A company led by Mr. Horner paid $8.2 million for the development site in March 2006.

The project has moved forward despite initial opposition from West Loop Community Organization, because the tower exceeds the 115-foot height limit the neighborhood group favors.

“The battle’s over on that one,” says Eric Sedler, the organization’s president.

Mr. Sedler also notes that the group has become more amenable to taller buildings that, like Mr. Horner’s, are near the neighborhood’s borders.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote