daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:55 PM   #241
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Jackson and Throop

Obviously not going to happen anytime soon, but at least we know something fairly large was proposed here.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:46 PM   #242
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

was proposed or is proposed?
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:15 AM   #243
spyguy
Expert

Presidential Towers redevelopment

FFC gym atrium (includes a new Protein Bar location inside). You can see the yellow awning for Yolk next door.

I don't think any other new tenants have been announced for the rest of the space along Clinton, although Halsted Street Deli is opening across the street in the long-vacant first floor of Quaker Plaza.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:54 PM   #244
spyguy
Expert

It looks like the latest version of the Gateway project in the West Loop has been reduced in size and scope. The podium lost a few floors, the hotel is gone, and the tower is shorter now.

I just noticed the similarity between this new Mariano's and the Whole Foods in Evanston

vs. old proposal
Old December 4th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #245
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ I had no idea Mariano's was on board.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #246
spyguy
Expert

Roundy's was mentioned when this project was just a massive retail/parking podium a couple of years ago. Then there was an article that they pulled out of the project. Now it looks like they're back in. Mariano's will have to take what they can get if they want to expand in the city.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:15 AM   #247
spyguy
Expert

From the Landmarks Commission:

1027 W Madison - CCP Holden Building

Proposal: Proposed exterior and interior rehabilitation of an existing 4-story masonry commercial
building, including masonry repair, new ground-floor storefronts, a new cornice, new
windows, a 50% green roof, and a new roof-top deck.

This is extremely good news as this is one of my favorite buildings in the West Loop. I've been dreaming about how good it would look after being restored for years. Because Carpenter does not run through Madison, you get an unusual perspective of the building from the north.

The is the current state of the building, built in 1872:

saumacus/ flickr

Almost reminds you of the Maxwell Street days.

And 1313 Randolph is supposed to be converted into 68 apartments with ground floor retail.

Last edited by spyguy; February 2nd, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:31 AM   #248
spyguy
Expert

Lots of parking vs. a tall building - what's the WLCO to do?

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...ct-garage.html

16-level structure would be all parking
DAVID ROEDER Feb 1, 2011

...The building for 290 cars would rise at 124 N. Halsted and consist entirely of 16 levels for parking. Developer Bruce Michael said the height will be closer to that of an eight-to-10-story building.

Elevators and mechanical systems would direct the cars into stacked slots, without a human hand touching them. The garage would be part of a residential rehab of an adjacent former factory at 113 N. Green, with some spaces reserved for the tenants and the rest available for patrons of Greektown and Randolph Street businesses.

...Michael, owner of Michigan-based Ojibway Development, said he hopes he can begin construction this summer. The six-story Green Street building, a onetime Allis-Chalmers factory, would get a seventh floor added and be reconfigured for 112 apartments.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:15 AM   #249
untitledreality

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
From the Landmarks Commission:

1027 W Madison - CCP Holden Building

Proposal: Proposed exterior and interior rehabilitation of an existing 4-story masonry commercial
building, including masonry repair, new ground-floor storefronts, a new cornice, new
windows, a 50% green roof, and a new roof-top deck.

This is extremely good news as this is one of my favorite buildings in the West Loop. I've been dreaming about how good it would look after being restored for years. Because Carpenter does not run through Madison, you get an unusual perspective of the building from the north.

The is the current state of the building, built in 1872:

saumacus/ flickr
Great looking building, glad to see some TLC coming its way after decades of neglect.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #250
spyguy
Expert

Looks like the tower portion will be a ~200 unit hotel.

http://www.chicagojournal.com/News/0..._for_West_Loop

Grocery store, hotel planned for West Loop
02/03/2011 4:00 PM

A high-end grocery store and an extended-stay hotel could come to a vacant site at Monroe and Halsted streets in fall 2012, if a development presented Monday night goes as planned.

Called The Gateway, the proposed building would hold Mariano’s, a 70,000-square-foot grocer mostly on the site’s second floor, as well as a 200-room hotel and street-level retail.
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #251
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Greektown project gets downsized
By David Roeder and Fran Spielman
Feb 16, 2011 5:20AM

A development team has reduced the size of a planned commercial project in Greektown in hopes of getting support to rezone the property.

The venture still plans a building with a Mariano’s grocery store at the northwest corner of Halsted and Monroe. It has reduced the size of the building by about a third, to 87,000 square feet.

Also still on the drawing boards is a high-rise on Madison just west of Halsted. But it, too, has gone through downsizing to 22 stories in the current proposal, compared with an earlier push for 30 stories.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/384...downsized.html
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #252
spyguy
Expert

^22 stories doesn't sound to bad, especially combined with the 1 S Halsted project.

According to the Sun-Times, 948 West Fulton was bought by the owner of 555, a company that specializes in designing the interiors of trendy restaurants and clubs. I'd assume that they're planning on converting this building and doing the same.

Also, I keep forgetting to post pictures of the new Threadless HQ (formerly FedEx).

Threadless 365/ flickr
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #253
spyguy
Expert

I'm surprised that Crain's or someone else didn't make a big deal out of this yet:

It looks like Wal-Mart will [try to?] build a new "neighborhood market" store in Presidential Towers in the West Loop. According to BidClerk, the store will be about 26,000 sf. With that in mind, the likely location is on the corner of Monroe and Jefferson where the now closed Presidential Market once stood.

Old March 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #254
a_user

Likes (Received): 0

901 W. Washington

Hello, there is a new commercial building going up at 901 W. Washington, formerly occupied by Tryad Automotive.

Project Details:
http://www.4240architecture.com/projects/view/7/8/60

"This 7,500 sf law office provides bankruptcy law services to the general public, helping those in need take the first steps towards rebuilding their lives.

The bold design is rich with sustainable design elements and presents a smart,modern aesthetic that is immediately impressive, but also friendly to staff and clients alike.

4240 has taken inspiration from the automotive repair shop that had previously occupied the site and related the treatment of bankruptcy to auto repair. The design of this law office focuses on the garage bay and spatial lanes as a means of organization.

Both client and attorney follow the 'lanes of service', coming together at the threshold between the public and semi-public zones where the attorneys diagnose debt related issues and implement preventative maintenance measures to help alleviate the realities of a problematic situation."
a_user no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #255
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Nice design, and it sure beats a vacant lot.

But I don't like this trend of putting little green spaces between the building and the sidewalk. That's a very suburban touch that I really don't think belongs in the city. This building would have been perfectly fine flush with the sidewalk.

The screen in front of the parking on the side is a nice touch.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #256
a_user

Replacement Restaurant

Not sure how much (if any) exterior work to be done, but a new restaurant is going to be occupying the Marche space:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...ph-street.html
a_user no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #257
SanToki64

1300 W Madison

New development... construction has already started from what I could tell

From www.facebook.com/westlooprealtor

ANNOUNCING 1300 W. MADISON - WEST LOOP!!! Phase 1 Construction at 6 N. Throop St. has begun: 1,700sf 3 Bed / 2 Bath Units from $460,000. 2,000 sf 3 Bed / 2 Bath Duplex-up Penthouse Units with Dramatic Skyline Views from $565,000. Intimate 6-Unit Elevator Building with Garage Parking Included. Premium Finishes, Prime West Loop Location, Late 2011 Delivery, 10% Pre-Construction Discount Pricing. CHECK BACK OFTEN FOR MORE PROJECT DETAILS AND UPDATES.

SanToki64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #258
ChitownCity

^Nice and pretty big

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Nice design, and it sure beats a vacant lot.

But I don't like this trend of putting little green spaces between the building and the sidewalk. That's a very suburban touch that I really don't think belongs in the city. This building would have been perfectly fine flush with the sidewalk.

The screen in front of the parking on the side is a nice touch.
I'll get the concrete, you bring the shovels...
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:01 AM   #259
PointDuSable

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post

I actually like it, and I think it's a good thing. Greenery doesn't necessarily equate to suburban, in my book. "Urbs in Horto," after all....
PointDuSable no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #260
ChitownCity

^it does if you already have a large quantity of it or its the only building on the block with an excess amount of it...