daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Old October 18th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #41
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 1

Oh my god, that grocery store looks AWESOME. One of the glassiest retail buildings downtown. It reminds me of the Crate & Barrel on North Michigan a little bit.

The article also mentions a possible store at Webster and Ashland, which is along the Elston Corridor, on the west side of the river. Hopefully Roundy's won't see this location as an excuse to build a suburban bigbox-style store.
ardecila no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old October 27th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #42
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

Emerald (South Tower) TO

spyguy no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:20 PM   #43
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=27194

Fund plans to convert West Loop building to dorm
By Alby Gallun

The fund has paid $16 million for the White Tower Building, a 225,000-square-foot property at 847 W. Jackson Blvd., according to a deed filed with the Cook County Recorder of Deeds. Though still in the preliminary stages, current plans call for redeveloping the property into student housing with about 440 beds, says Blue Vista Vice-president Greg Adler.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:27 AM   #44
Chicago2020

Likes (Received): 0

I hate those red railings over the highway
Chicago2020 no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #45
adams.skinner

catalyst condos @washington and desplaines

Hello! Does anyone have any information about the Catalyst condos to be built at Washington and Desplaines?
adams.skinner no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #46
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Construction has started on the Jewel at Kinzie and Desplaines. The progress looks pretty substantial - they have erected probably 1/3 of the steel so far.

The Jewel there will really boost pedestrian traffic at Milwaukee/Kinzie/Desplaines, which so far is kind of a dead intersection that doesn't have much except a CROWDED little bar.

I'm wondering about the viability of all these new grocery stores proposed though. There's a Roundy's proposed for Halsted in Greektown, where a Dominick's already exists. Throw a large Jewel into the mix and you have quite a lot of grocery stores into an area (West Loop) that seems to be resisting density. To make matters a little bit worse, Grand Station up at Grand/Halsted/Milwaukee is planning to have a grocery as their anchor store. I love retail density, but this is pushing the demand envelope.

Last edited by ardecila; December 15th, 2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #47
spyguy
Expert

And MetraMarket, if that ever happens.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #48
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm wondering about the viability of all these new grocery stores proposed though. There's a Roundy's proposed for Halsted in Greektown, where a Dominick's already exists. Throw a large Jewel into the mix and you have quite a lot of grocery stores into an area (West Loop) that seems to be resisting density. To make matters a little bit worse, Grand Station up at Grand/Halsted/Milwaukee is planning to have a grocery as their anchor store. I love retail density, but this is pushing the demand envelope.
Well, competition is always a good thing, I say...
It is humanly impossible to walk through Chicago's core and not consider it one of the world's great cities unless you are inwardly angry at the place for somehow threatening or robbing your hometown of its vitality or integrity.
The Urban Politician no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #49
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
And MetraMarket, if that ever happens.
interesting to note, MetraMarket was originally planned during the time Chicagovius was a Roman colony. It was supposed to be a market place in the Chicagovius Forum to sell the oil olive of Greece, the cheeses of Gual, the figs of North Africa, and the goats and pigs from Spain. Of course, those original plans have been altered and revised quite a bit now that we are on Plan MMMCDXLVIII and anxiously awaiting Plan MMMCDXLVIV.
edsg25 no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #50
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
interesting to note, MetraMarket was originally planned during the time Chicagovius was a Roman colony. It was supposed to be a market place in the Chicagovius Forum to sell the oil olive of Greece, the cheeses of Gual, the figs of North Africa, and the goats and pigs from Spain. Of course, those original plans have been altered and revised quite a bit now that we are on Plan MMMCDXLVIII and anxiously awaiting Plan MMMCDXLVIV.
^ MetraMarket received full Chicagovius city council approval in 19 AD. The council was wearing white robes back then, and at that particular time the Mayor was trying to distract the public from his corrupt, patronage Government by holding gladitorial combats on the lakefront (at a site that would later become Soldier Field)
It is humanly impossible to walk through Chicago's core and not consider it one of the world's great cities unless you are inwardly angry at the place for somehow threatening or robbing your hometown of its vitality or integrity.
The Urban Politician no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #51
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ MetraMarket received full Chicagovius city council approval in 19 AD. The council was wearing white robes back then, and at that particular time the Mayor was trying to distract the public from his corrupt, patronage Government by holding gladitorial combats on the lakefront (at a site that would later become Soldier Field)
fine and well, but please hurry up and get to the good stuff, the gorry part where the council members all stabs him in their chambers. Et tu, Dorothy Tilghman?
edsg25 no está en línea  
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #52
creil

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams.skinner View Post
Hello! Does anyone have any information about the Catalyst condos to be built at Washington and Desplaines?
Just drove by and saw the signs today.

http://www.chicagocatalyst.com/

Old December 21st, 2007, 01:48 AM   #53
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.

Quote:
If only your politics were as awesome as your humor

And I believe the Market was originally part of the Etruscan plan for the area.

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea  
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #54
spyguy
Expert

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi.../News01081.htm

Former Fed Ex site redevelopment plan meets community opposition
By Miriam Cintron

The proposed plan to redevelop the former Fed Ex site at 1260 and 1300 W. Madison St. in the West Loop into mixed-use buildings has met with opposition from area residents, who cite everything from parking issues, population density, and traffic congestion to aesthetic concerns as reasons for their disapproval.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #55
InTheValley

Quote:

By Miriam Cintron

The proposed plan to redevelop the former Fed Ex site at 1260 and 1300 W. Madison St. in the West Loop into mixed-use buildings has met with opposition from area residents, who cite everything from parking issues, population density, and traffic congestion to aesthetic concerns as reasons for their disapproval.

Spy guy thanks for the insight on that developement. I cannot believe how stupid these people are, you have a 7 story developement across the street and they are complaining about a building across the street that is 4 storys taller......... unbelievable. I was at the west end bar right there at ADA and madison just few weeks ago and I dont see why those morons would complain. I dont think that people understand what prosperity means and what it does to the community.
InTheValley no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #56
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:

By Miriam Cintron

Found some updated renderings. I can see why the West Loopers oppose it - this is way more urban than I expected.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:19 AM   #57
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 687

Quote:
edsg25, you have just been inducted as an honorary Greek. All you have to do is imitate the belly dance (or tsifteteli as we Greeks call it) of this video, and your in

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false

Last edited by chicagogeorge; February 3rd, 2008 at 03:54 AM.
chicagogeorge no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #58
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I found this image for a Greektown condo project called "Iliad". I assume the developer is the same one who's doing "Odyssey Lofts" across the street, named "W Developments". They have done several other West Loop projects as well.

Anyway, it appears to contain the Hellenic Museum that held a design competition years ago. Strangely, Iliad's architects (Hirsch Assoc.) were not in the design competition, which was won by Pappageorge/Haymes (big surprise there). Is this a more recent plan?

Old February 12th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #59
NearNorthGuy

I like the cartoon skyline in the background of that Hellenic Museum rendering. It reminds me of when Magilla Gorilla would drive his way-too-small car down the street as the skyscrapers scrolled by in the background.

Funny how Magilla passed the same set of buildings every few seconds.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #60
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Need some coffee?