daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #61
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi...308/UD0308.htm

Communication cutoff worries West Loop Residents
Miriam Y. Cintron

Already concerned over proposed development plans for the former Fed Ex site at 1260 and 1300 W. Madison St., West Loop residents grew even more anxious recently after developer The Pickus Companies abruptly stopped communicating with them. Residents previously had experienced frequent contact to address their concerns about construction plans, said Laurie Gentle of the West Loop Concerned Citizens group.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM   #62
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...50&TM=47860.43

Mr. Redford's picture show could arrive in West Loop
$240 million mixed-use project

BY MICAH MAIDENBERG

The IBT Group wants to build twin 21-story towers above a mixture of small retail shops and larger commercial tenants, including an eight-screen theatre showing independent film operated by Sundance Theatres, at the former Fannie Mae factory site in the West Loop.
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM   #63
spyguy
Expert

Adams Street Park (Adams/Sangamon/Peoria/Monroe)

The site currently includes the old infirmary owned by UIC, which will be demolished. Supposedly the terra cotta will be used as seating.

Old March 21st, 2008, 11:59 PM   #64
Abner

Likes (Received): 0

Why do planners like creating these parks with illogical and useless sidewalks? People are just going to create a mud trail cutting diagonally across the park.
Abner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:08 AM   #65
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm wondering about the viability of all these new grocery stores proposed though.
The Dominick's is by all reports going gangbusters -- the whole Near West is very much under-served -- so I'm not too worried about the competition from Roundy's MetroMarket. (The Jewel is not all that close by and in its own Fulton Market/River West enclave, and Grand Station is off the table for now.) Halsted will be an interesting corridor with the supermarkets so close by, though.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:01 AM   #66
Doriano

Likes (Received): 15

So I was in Greektown today eating in the Greek Islands and I wanted to look for the site where the new Hellenic Museum would be, but I couldn't find it! All I could see were those Odyssey buildings, but nothing else! Can you guys tell me where exactly it will be located and which project they're creating, because the one mentioned first looks amazing, because the one with the Illiad buildings is not as impressive!
Now the park looks like it's going to be great! The area does need some green and hopefully some more pillars and statues decorate the place to give it that Greektown feeling, even though it's in West Gate! Good luck with those projects!
Doriano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:13 AM   #67
Doriano

Likes (Received): 15

Hellenic Museum

Are these still the plans for the Hellenic Museum, or is it going to be in the basement of The Illiad building?
Because this building is gorgeous, I hope they will make this a reality because this is such an amazing piece of art that deserves to be built!
Doriano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:30 AM   #68
skybuzz

Wow... I sure hope so. That's about 100x better than the "basement" concept!
skybuzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM   #69
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner View Post
Why do planners like creating these parks with illogical and useless sidewalks? People are just going to create a mud trail cutting diagonally across the park.
Exactly. The planners have this idea that they are smarter than the rest of us and can control the feet of future pedestrians.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM   #70
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
^ Because parks are supposed to be a relaxing respite from the rigid streetgrid of the city. The sidewalks in parks are not supposed to act as the shortest distance between two points. That's the phisophy of Olmstead when he designed one of the most successful urban parks on earth--Central Park.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:38 PM   #71
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

But it looks like Site Design Group has done exactly what you ask: they've put diagonal paths from corner to corner (without making it look like a St. Andrew's Cross).
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM   #72
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Exactly. Not very relaxing and bucolic, eh?

But not all great parks have curving paths. Dupont Circle in DC is one of my favorite parks as well, and it basically consists of a central fountain with paths radiating in straight lines out from it
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #73
chicagoandy

Kinzie Jewel stopped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Construction has started on the Jewel at Kinzie and Desplaines. The progress looks pretty substantial - they have erected probably 1/3 of the steel so far.

The Jewel there will really boost pedestrian traffic at Milwaukee/Kinzie/Desplaines, which so far is kind of a dead intersection that doesn't have much except a CROWDED little bar.

It looks like construction on this site has stopped. Most of the construction equipment has been removed and there has been no progress over the last month.

Does anyone know whats going on? Despite the lagging economy, with all the nearby condos completing soon there is still be a good market for this store.

_Am
chicagoandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #74
nkflyers2005

Where did you hear construction stopped? I live right next door to it and it appears to be moving along just fine. I don't know all the proper terms, but most of the support structure seems to be up and they just started to enclose the building.
nkflyers2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #75
chicagoandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkflyers2005 View Post
Where did you hear construction stopped? I live right next door to it and it appears to be moving along just fine. I don't know all the proper terms, but most of the support structure seems to be up and they just started to enclose the building.
I haven't heard anything at all, that's why I'm asking.

I also live in the neighborhood, and haven't seen much progress, nor much equipment on site for a while.

I hope I'm wrong.

_Am
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #76
Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Because parks are supposed to be a relaxing respite from the rigid streetgrid of the city. The sidewalks in parks are not supposed to act as the shortest distance between two points. That's the phisophy of Olmstead when he designed one of the most successful urban parks on earth--Central Park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
But it looks like Site Design Group has done exactly what you ask: they've put diagonal paths from corner to corner (without making it look like a St. Andrew's Cross).
It's a minor gripe, just kind of an annoyance. Regardless of what parks are "supposed to be," people will use a small park like this one to cut diagonally across. In an apparent effort to make the park look distinctive from above (surely the single least important vantage point), they've put in paths that kind of allow for that, but not quite. A tour of a college campus or a vacant lot-filled neighborhood on the West Side will show that people just cut across the grass anyway, which just makes a big mess.

The weirdest and silliest example of this that I know of is the Chinatown development just southwest of where the Orange and Red Lines cross. The sidewalks appear to be designed for some kind of drunken stumble.
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #77
chicagoandy

Quote:
It's a minor gripe, just kind of an annoyance. Regardless of what parks are "supposed to be," people will use a small park like this one to cut diagonally across. In an apparent effort to make the park look distinctive from above (surely the single least important vantage point), they've put in paths that kind of allow for that, but not quite. A tour of a college campus or a vacant lot-filled neighborhood on the West Side will show that people just cut across the grass anyway, which just makes a big mess.

The weirdest and silliest example of this that I know of is the Chinatown development just southwest of where the Orange and Red Lines cross. The sidewalks appear to be designed for some kind of drunken stumble.
The comparison to the Chinatown development is apt - the same architect did both sites. It should be noted that the Chinatown park has won awards internationally. As a West-Looper, I'm hopefull our little park may get similar attention!

Secondly, as a defence of the design (and the process!) - the city Parks District has done an excellent job of consulting the neighbourhood about the park design.

Several hundred people showed up for meetings at the Merritt School of Music, and then later at Jack's tap. The architects submitted 3 different designs. The first was a classical design reminiscent of Versailles, the second was very curvy with hills, the third is the once that you see discussed here. There was a very clear consensus from the public that this is the design that they wanted. The city has done an excellent job of involving the community in this process. As a nearby resident, I wish all my city interactions were this positive (they are not).

Rather then slamming the city for trying to build an awesome park, why not show up at one of these community meetings and actually do something constructive?
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #78
Frumie

Quote:

When the Univ. of Michigan built their Ann Arbor campus, they waited a few years until the students had created their own pathways before paving. Ingenious.
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #79
Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoandy View Post
The comparison to the Chinatown development is apt - the same architect did both sites. It should be noted that the Chinatown park has won awards internationally. As a West-Looper, I'm hopefull our little park may get similar attention!
Oops, I was being confusing. I wasn't talking about the park--the paths there make sense in its setting. I meant the residential development just east of it, which has amusing squiggly sidewalks running along the houses. Anyway I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it, I was just noting a kind of silly tendency of developers right now. Glad that the under-parked West Loop gets to have a new one.

Regarding showing up to community meetings, if the city ever showed any interest in creating a park in my own neighborhood, I would be happy to join the process.

Frumie, that is pretty brilliant. It seems that colleges should generally plan on making a sidewalk connecting every pair of buildings on campus; minimizing the total sidewalk length would then be a task for the mathematics department.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM   #80
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Fannie May Site

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/business/907...nnie22.article

Sweet spot for retail
WEST LOOP | Homes, health club also planned at former Fannie May site

April 22, 2008 Recommend (2)

BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN [email protected] [email protected]

Developers of the old Fannie May site on the Near West Side are forging ahead with plans for two residential towers now that the neighborhood has softened its opposition to new high-rises.

The investors have asked city officials for zoning authority to build two 21-story buildings at 1137 W. Jackson. They would include 380 homes, either condominiums or apartments.
Also part of the project is a nine-story commercial building that would include actor Robert Redford's Sundance Cinemas chain, which shows independent films and documentaries............................