daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:11 AM   #141
honest86
Urbanist

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulcra View Post
right now, beggars can't be choosers. right? right?
well... there are a lot of architects looking for work... i would think we could have out choice of a better design right now then in the boom times when everyone has work...
honest86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:16 AM   #142
homemania

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Sigh....

Damn this economic slowdown. This is a great project density-wise, if a bit lame architecturally

Same here. I hate this economic slowdown.
homemania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #143
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Metra Market

Supposedly they're considering closing down parts of Clinton on weekends to have an outdoor market.

Bensidoun brings French style, open-air markets to the U.S. (**PDF**)
...Currently, Bensidoun’s most-ambitious American
plans are for a year-round French market at Ogilvie
Transportation Center (Northwestern Station)
in downtown Chicago. As the retail anchor of the
station’s MetraMarket redevelopment, the market
will occupy about 15,000 square feet, enough
room for about 25 vendors selling goods in the
market itself, with eight or so more at a kiosk in
the station concourse. The ground-breaking was in
September, and the market is likely to be up and
running this coming summer.

...Not all the vendors at the downtown Chicago
market are in place just yet, but the mix will stress
meat, fish, cheese and baked goods, as well as
prepared meals and probably a few nonfood items.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #144
spyguy
Expert

Old May 13th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #145
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Am I the only person out there who kind of likes overhanging balconies?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #146
spyguy
Expert

^It's not the overhanging balconies that bother me. As I said on SSP (hopefully that PR person doesn't follow me here ), it's a visual mess.

For example, look at the west side of the building. First, you have the clash between the new and old building, which I normally like. But in this case I don't think it works. The old building looks especially bad IMO - some sections have glass windows but are surrounded by recessed terraces (like in the 4th pic) that lack glass and create awkward gaps that make the building look incomplete. Then there are ugly garage screens (3rd pic) on the corners of the 3/4th floors which are very visible to passersby. The new part has some weird arrangement of metal panels that again make it look as if they aren't finished yet.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #147
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Am I the only person out there who kind of likes overhanging balconies?
for me, it depends on how they're handled. when they're done well, they can add nice visual activity to an otherwise bland generic facade. when they're done poorly, it looks like someone took aerosol to a mondrian.
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #148
homemania

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

I like the location of 565 quincy condos. very close to transportation center, easy access to most major areas in downtown.
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #149
robituss

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemania View Post
West Loop Community Organization is holding a centeral area action plan presentation on May 11, 2009.

See http://www.westloop.org/news/contentview.asp?c=220535
So did anyone go to this last week? Was WLCO on some BS again, did anyone have anything interesting to bring to the table other than parking issues?
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:26 PM   #150
spyguy
Expert

Saw this on an architect's website - not sure if it's an active proposal - but it looks like it's at 312 S Green
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:28 AM   #151
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

a bit overly generic post-modern, but nice nonetheless. hope it's a real project.
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #152
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/business/159...otel28.article

Japanese chain plans budget hotel in W. Loop
May 28, 2009
BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN

A Japanese chain of budget hotels, Toyoko Inn Co. Ltd., has filed a zoning application to build 23 stories in the West Loop, at 320 S. Clinton. The mid-block site has a surface parking lot wedged between two high-rises.

Property records show the company acquired the land in late 2006 for $4.76 million. The proposal calls for a 615-room hotel with 123 parking spaces. Kenshiro Oshima, a U.S.-based property adviser for the firm, said he's unsure how quickly the company will pursue construction given the recession's impact on lodging. But he said the company wants to expand in the U.S.

Toyoko Inn bills itself as a "western-style" hotel chain that favors locations near rail stations. The site is close to Union Station.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:33 AM   #153
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
A Japanese chain of budget hotels, Toyoko Inn Co. Ltd., has filed a zoning application to build 23 stories in the West Loop, at 320 S. Clinton.
It's the oddly shaped parking lot just behind Metra's offices. It owes its shape to some prior railroad tracks, I think. 615 rooms is a lot, but these prefab Japanese budget hotels* are super-efficient with space (and everything else). I sure liked it, but I'm not sure what the average American will think.

* Okay, it's "western-style," but in Japan that means that they have beds and not futons. So far, Toyoko only operates in Japan, Korea, and China.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM   #154
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Okay, it's "western-style," but in Japan that means that they have beds and not futons.
Oh. Darn. I was thinking tie-up posts for horses and a saloon with player piano...
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #155
ChicagoismynewBlog

For some odd, naiive American reason, I have always wanted to sleep in one of those pod hotels where your bed is stacked on top of other ones. BUT, I'm sure I would get over that desire pretty quickly. Haha.

ChicagoismynewBlog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #156
homemania

Quote:
Originally Posted by robituss View Post
So did anyone go to this last week? Was WLCO on some BS again, did anyone have anything interesting to bring to the table other than parking issues?
I wanted to go to that session, but had to work late that night...
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:38 AM   #157
ronaround74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
I was thinking tie-up posts for horses
Speaking of horses, I was wondering what was up with the huge tents that recently popped up on the old Fannie May factory property at Jackson & Racine. I got my answer: Big-top show 'Cavalia' gallops into West Loop this summer

The story says the show could potentially run through Labor Day. I guess that means construction on the West Loop Promenade (or whatever that proposed development is going to be called) won't be starting any time soon.
ronaround74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #158
homemania

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaround74 View Post
Speaking of horses, I was wondering what was up with the huge tents that recently popped up on the old Fannie May factory property at Jackson & Racine. I got my answer: Big-top show 'Cavalia' gallops into West Loop this summer

The story says the show could potentially run through Labor Day. I guess that means construction on the West Loop Promenade (or whatever that proposed development is going to be called) won't be starting any time soon.
Right. But I also saw two 'retail space leasing' signs were up in the block. So hopefully 'Cavalia' would help promote this land. I can't wait to have the retail mall in west loop. Once built, this mall will earn a lot of money i thinks. All the west loopers will just swarm in, and never bother to travel to south loop...
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #159
homemania

Quote:
Saw this on an architect's website - not sure if it's an active proposal - but it looks like it's at 312 S Green
Have the developers realized that very few people will buy the condos close to the highway? it is really noisy!
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #160
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=34658

MetraMarket signs Italian coffee cafe

An Italian coffee company will lease 2,045 square feet at MetraMarket for a café, replacing Caffe RoM, a Chicago coffee bar that had previously planned a larger location. Turin, Italy-based Lavazza plans to open the Espression by Lavazza café this fall, according to U.S. Equities Realty LLC, which is developing MetraMarket, a 100,000-square-foot restaurant and retail center within the Ogilvie Transportation Center in the West Loop. Lavazza has other Chicago locations, including one in the John Hancock Observatory. Lavazza is taking different space at MetraMarket than Caffe RoM, which had planned a 2,900-square-foot coffee bar. Caffe RoM made a decision not to expand now, a U.S. Equities spokeswoman says. MetraMarket’s other tenants are the 15,000-square-foot French Market, which is to sell baked goods, fresh produce, meat, fish and other items, and a 14,000-square-foot CVS drugstore.