daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old February 24th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #41
macc

Likes (Received): 19

wow. Thats some sought after photo's there. If google picks up on those pics this thread could be popping up for years.

The crescents were a bit before my time but It'd be interesting to have had a stroll through before they were knocked down. Now pictures from one of those parties in 'the kitchen', I'd love to see some of those if any exist.

There's that "homes for change" building in hulme that looks like it was based on the crescents a bit. It looks pretty funky.
macc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 25th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #43
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 5

non of those links work for me eccles..
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #44
eccles cake

Likes (Received): 2

OOOOOPPPPPSSSS!!!!!!!!!
summatts fucked up there , so dont bother clicking on them links.
eccles cake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:36 AM   #45
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 1591

Save the green, green grass of Hulme

OASIS: Jeremy Davies in one of the few remaining green areas of Hulme

PROTESTERS who lost a six-year battle to defend Hulme's Birley Fields from developers are gearing up to defend the remainder of the site from the builders.

The Hulme Online Residents' Community has started distributing petitions to defend a large patch of so-called waste ground between Stretford Road and Asda from council proposals to develop it.

Manchester Council hopes the site can be developed for commercial use to bring more jobs into the area, though no specific proposals are yet on the table.

Residents claim they have not been consulted about the plans and don't want to see the site built on. Their petition suggests the land could be used for allotments or a city farm to put Hulme on the map in a greener way.

Part of the Birley Fields site was turned into a business park several years ago and is now almost full, though it took about two years for many of the offices to be rented.

The council commissioned a report to examine the future for the rest of the site and the neighbouring area, which recommended both commercial and housing development, with commercial activity concentrated on the remainder of Birley Fields.

Jeremy Davies, who lives in Loxford Street and acts as spokesman for the residents' forum, said: "I think the problems are to about the content of the proposals and about the lack of consultation - it's a two-pronged sense of outrage.

"The existing offices at Birley Fields have failed to take off, yet the council seems to think the answer is to build more. For the rest of the land they suggest more houses, and I would question whether Hulme really needs any more new houses, unless they are affordable.

"It just seems bizarre. There's an underlying assumption that every single bit of land needs to be developed and every inch must be turned into something economically active. That land has been there not doing anything commercial for a long time and unless there's a good justification for doing something commercial with it, let's leave it as it is.

"This is an area where a lot of people are interested in the environment and a lot of people might be more interested if they were talking about creating allotments or a community farm or something like that, which would genuinely put Hulme on the map."

Manchester Council leader Cllr Richard Leese said an access road was already in place for development on the remaining area of Birley Fields and that residents would be consulted when any specific plans were proposed.

He added: "That part of the city was always envisaged as being where we would look to obtain jobs and economic activity and there are still not enough jobs. The office space market has been slow and it recently began to pick up, so it seemed like a good time for the council to be reviewing its plans.

"Like everywhere in the city we need to get the balance right between housing, green space and commercial activity and we are investing in planting trees in Hulme. We would be happy to look at anyone's ideas for developing social enterprise, but we are looking to create jobs that would number in the hundreds."
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:49 AM   #46
Bim
Music is my lover.

Likes (Received): 0

Yes!
A city farm or allotments is the best option...that would make Hulme feel like a unique inner city area.
Where is the petition?
I will sign it straight away...I have to go past this sight twice a day on the bus and i love it...fair enough, it is full of shite everywhere, but there's trees and it's just nice to see a bit of wild inner city greenery!

I want a farm with pigs, horses, bulls and goats!
Bim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:57 AM   #47
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Silly smelly hippys!
Go and live in the country if you want some greenery!
Hulme is an urban area - do some decent landscaping yes, but a bloody farm? I hate farms and farmers and they hate me but thankfully there arent any left in Withington so thats ok.
Something concrete and inhuman would be good here IMO. A decent multi storey car park with park and ride - perfect!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:02 AM   #48
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

I can sort of see where they are coming from on this one. Hulme has a pretty distinctive / bohemian character and the hippys want to retain some of that, fair enough. But what we have at present is unattractive, unsafe and unusable scrub land - not some precious urban oasis.

By all means incorporate plenty of attractive open space within a masterplan for these plots, hey Im sure a creative architect could incorporate some sort of farm or community co-operative garden within any proposals - maybe a Homes-for-Change phase II could incorporate such an idea.... but leaving it as it is, is not a desirable option by any means.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:22 AM   #49
jrb
10th February 2008

They've already got a brand new park, ungreatful.......... .
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:05 AM   #50
Bim
Music is my lover.

No!
You're all being bad!

I think they should plant a forest...seriously...do some experimenting with stuff.
Why not eh?
Bim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:59 AM   #51
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 5

That plot of land is an eyesore it needs something doing with it post haste. Its just been sat as it is for years now, while all around it is being developed.

Bloody tree huggers!!!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:40 AM   #52
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Last edited by sjwmoore; February 4th, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
sjwmoore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:05 PM   #53
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Quote:
...but thankfully there arent any left in Withington so thats ok.
Sorry - little off topic...
Are you a withington resident Longchaps? Have you any 'insider nuggets' on the cine city development? Thorn in withys side that. Last I heard a compromise of resurrecting the cinema incorporating the apartments was on the cards. P*ss poor gateway to withington coming in from Didsbury.
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:10 PM   #54
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Re. Cine City. Cant understand the owner. I just dont think he has any cash. Anyway no matter what happens its coming down and you can forget any idea of a cinema being incorporated. My opinion? He drew up a scheme that he then got PP for but it was just a speculation exercise to gauge the worth of the site. He will then sell the plot on with the attached PP and you'll just get some rubbish flats. Surprised there hasnt been a 'mystery fire'.
Re Bim. A forest? yeah the muggers and rapists will luuuuurve that!

Last edited by The Longford; March 3rd, 2006 at 01:18 PM.
The Longford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #55
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Cheers longtents. Some pretty dire flats have almost been completed on the same stretch (next to the 7-11 type shop). I've done a bit of house refurbs recently and I reckon a layman like me could lay better quality brickage.
I remember the image proposal for cine city - looked quite brash and futuristic but then it would wouldn't it. Mind you the white lion is a bit of a crack den at the moment.
Shame in ol withy.
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:16 PM   #56
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Last edited by sjwmoore; February 4th, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:50 PM   #57
macc

Watch out for that one in the stripey top. He runs these parts.

Fantastic pics again, swjmoore. It looks busy. Was there often people just dossing about outside the place?

I found this link from the Northwest learning grid. There's a couple of interesting videos of the hulme cresents and some 1960s scally kids running around in the muck. Its grim oop north.

Be sure to use the arrows to see more videos:

http://www.nwlg.org/pages/resources/...edemolish.html
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:11 PM   #58
macc

And found another little slide show of someone's picture website. One's a duplicate but the others are new.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2566/show/

and another of that mosaic on stretford road:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hulme-r...s/166053/show/

Last edited by macc; May 31st, 2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:55 AM   #59
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Couldnt get into the NWLG one, "not authorised"

Wasnt always like that, sometimes if weather was good. Most of these pics aref rom one of the annual "Punx picnics", when similar folks would come from Leeds, Preston etc to have a day boozing in the sun. Mostly decent people, but a few nutters- the drunken fools who would try and provoke any patrolling Police hoping for a riot!
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #60
jrb
10th February 2008

Hulme today.(30 years on)

My god, what a difference.