daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #61
highriser

Likes (Received): 24

I went to house warming in Hulme the other week, 3 storey town house ,, gotta say it was really nice,, and a cracking skyline veiw from the bedroom.
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 10th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #62
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Those first two pics remind me of LA. Looks very impressive.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #63
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by sjwmoore; February 4th, 2009 at 07:04 PM.
sjwmoore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #64
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Likes (Received): 1

Almost surreal aren't they?
Cheers SJW
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #65
highriser

Likes (Received): 24

******* dreadful ,, thank god there gone , is that the Royce pub in the last pic ?

Hell hole ,,, i need a vodka now ive seen that again
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #66
honolulu bob
Aaaargh me hearties!

what a blast from the past this thread is, brilliant i arrived at manchester poly in 1989 as a fresh-faced 18yr old from a small town on the north wales coast. i got a place in loxford tower hall which overlooks the mancunian way and the salutation and some of those earlier pics from the uni maths tower remind me of the view from my room.

i'd only been there about a week when we ended up at the kitchen with these wasted blokes we met in town somewhere, what a ****** eye opener that was haha psv was also an experience, but nowhere near as bad as it's reputation although my mate's brother did get knifed in there one night

there was a little offie a minute or so's walk from the salutation, can't remember what it was called but there was a notice up in loxford warning us not to go ther alone at night haha hulme was a complete shithole back then but the reputation it had was largely the result of urban myth, perpetuated in the most part by people who'd probably never set foot in there. i spent a week at a friend's flat there (can't remember which block) after uni in 1992 and the gentrification had already started - the crescents if i remember rightly were either gone or in the process of being flattened, and i felt a bit sorry for the people who had all their roots there having to watch the shit parts get torn down and the good parts bought-up by trendy middle-class hampstead thinkers

other than the fact it looked like the shitty end of an eastern european backwater i've only fond memories of hulme and it's ****ed-up-ness. i haven't been there for probably 12 years but judging from the pics it looks a lot nicer these days but it's lost it's uniqueness, it could be just about anywhere in the uk now
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #67
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
i'd only been there about a week when we ended up at the kitchen with these wasted blokes we met in town somewhere,
I think that was me!

Quote:
there was a little offie a minute or so's walk from the salutation, can't remember what it was called but there was a notice up in loxford warning us not to go ther alone at night haha
Salmon. Famous for its dumplings and wanton disregard for licensing laws!
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #68
honolulu bob
Aaaargh me hearties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
I think that was me!

Salmon. Famous for its dumplings and wanton disregard for licensing laws!

i was heroically wasted myself so it could just has easily been you or mahatma ghandi for all i know as for the salmon, the name's beginning to ring a bell - the opening hours however are ringing loud and clear in my memory is the sal still there or has it been torn down? used to be a bizarre but brilliant mix of people in there...
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #69
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by honolulu bob
there was a little offie a minute or so's walk from the salutation, can't remember what it was called but there was a notice up in loxford warning us not to go ther alone at night haha

There was also the Victoria Wine on Hulme Walk, just before the long sloping footbridge. Had plastic screens and always seemed to be full of the insane. In the daytime, Abduls shop on Woodcock Square.

Salmon was a good place, for getting snacks at all hours.

Salutation still there, but hemmed in by new building, that square of grass is no longer there. I remember 3 landrovers full of Paras coming from the TA centre and circling the grass seig heiling, obviously trying to wind up the lefty students.

Does anyone remember the offy/ shop in the middle of the crescents, and the incredibly crap Hulme Chippy?? The Iron Duke, The Eagle, The Spinners, The White Horse?

Anyone know anything about that "Romany City" club?

Last edited by sjwmoore; June 20th, 2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #70
iRich
We all vibrate wildly

Epping Walker

Man, it all comes rolling back... Great post.

OK, I was a student in the 80s in Manchester and ended up living in Hulme.. low rent (no rent as it turned out, nobody cared, nobody came) with a changing rota including Chris Thurnell (Malaka) Steve Pybus, Harri Williams, Graham Binks, Steve Redmond and Martin Scupham. Oops, also Stephanie Roberts and a couple of Goths at one point. And Jules and Antonio.. And me....

My first Hulme experience felt like the Bridge scene in 'Apocalypse Now'. There were a few of us living in digs in Old Trafford. After herbalising a few one evening , we headed off to meet up with a mate. At 'The Eagle' ffs.

None of us had ever been into Hulme and we were all stoned and basically soft punk students in leather jackets. We got a bus from Old Trafford that used to go through the Crescents and wandered about in this Stalinist Orwellian nightmare of a place, on a dark freezing winters night, increasingly paranoid of the shadows. It was quite intimidating on first experience and particularly at night. Anyway, we found the Eagle and staggered in. It only got worse.

By this time we were pretty trashed. The people in the Pub were like inmates from an insane asylum. I'd love to be able to re-live that night. First of all, the mad irish pool playing dwarf ex- boxer who kept coming up to me whilst I was trying to vanish into the wall. Smacking his fist into his palm and shouting 'FAIR PLAY, FOUL PLAY' at me whilst staring at me with mad chicken eyes. The heavy metal rasta guy tripping off his head, dancing in the middle of the pub to a tune in his own head with a chair and the arse completely ripped out of his jeans. And they were just the owners. That last bit is a joke. The rest is true. I was glad to get out and onto a bus. It must have had an effect cos I moved into Epping Walk within a year. Never went back to the Eagle though, I reckon I had some post-traumatic herbal disorder that evening.

Anyway, 226 Epping Walk:

Neighbours included the mad but nice woman with the cats and Dave Smith, Alison, Trevor and Heather. Do forgive me Dave and Heather. A shop downstairs for the tabs and beers kept shopping travels to a minimum. An occasional wander down to the Reno or the Church (or Daves) to purchase some herbs on occasion. Weekly Shopping in Moss Side Center with the highly surreal Zulu guy in full dress wandering around. Trying to live on 24 quid a week.

It wasn't quite as bad as it is made out here by some. It was dead handy for town and the windows were brilliant.. they opened two ways (top and side hung) so you could open up the whole wall in summer. You could rig the meter with a bit of film and enjoy inexpensive heating. There was some real interesting people living around the place. There were some top pubs and clubs and Rusholme curries within cycling distance.

Good stuff:

Getting laid with some gorgeous women there. Shame I was too young to realise..

Having a beer in the Chequered Flag one evening and realising the mugger who had tried to do me on the stairs (I threw him down one flight) was in there with a sore head. It was that kind of place...

Watching Live Aid with a bunch of mates and cycling down to the off licence that was like a fekkin bank every hour. The wobbles increased until i fell off eventually.

Getting burgled. But when I was out.. it wasn't too good if you were in as there was only one way in and out.

Selling Salmon a used cash register from the Offy where I worked (Victoria Wines in Whalley Range).

Salmons atomic hot chicken, until I had salmonella one night. Hey I just realised the poetry in that.

Playing footy on the empty fields between the Uni and Hulme.

Drinking in The Sally (Salutation) with John Dillon as Landlord. Playing pool in the Sally.

Playing pool in the Chequered Flag (interesting pub that one.. I remember one guy at the bar one night with a scrappy bloody bandage round his head.. he had just had half his ear bitten off but had come back in to finish his beer )

Not so good stuff:

Going insane there haha

Shotgun shooting outside my window early one morning.

Getting burgled all the fekkin time, even when there was nothing left to nick. The crime was a real problem there and the cops didn't give a fig. It was on it's way to outlaw land when I was there. I can only imagine all the villains moved out when it got real bad.

Being flat broke two days before the dole came. No food apart from 1 bag of rice. Can't believe I lived like that now.

Freezing in winter

Leaking curtain wall panels

Swaying in the wind

Hoover with three feet of flex. Kinda hampered cleaning.

Anyway, one day in 86 me Da turns up and gives me a bollocking for wasting my life. So I packed up and left. I have since worked in Kent, London, The Caribbean and Saudi (my current place), but nowhere on earth has remotely been anything like the experience that Hulme was in the 80s. Anybody remembers me, drop me a line on acameldodger at hot mail dot com

PS What was the first Walk that was demolished to make way for the brewery extension around 1985? Trev used to live there and they painted the staircases one night when tripping, all psychedelic lions and stars and stuff..

And which walk faced the old brewery and the grass fields by the side of Salmons Taxi Rank?

Last edited by iRich; August 18th, 2007 at 08:27 AM. Reason: eagle
iRich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #71
eccles cake

Likes (Received): 3

Howdy pal,
I've just posted this link on another page but I think you might find it interesting too
http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/
Type in Hulme flats in the search engine and you'll get a couple of hundred images .
Of course you can narrow it down to specific crescents or streets ,walks etc if you
can remember them . By the way , the areas changed out of all recognition now, you'd get lost. Theres only a handful of pubs left to get your bearings off .
eccles cake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #72
iRich
We all vibrate wildly

Found it

Cheers Eccles.. cant believe I found the very flat I used to live in.. 226 Epping Walk is top left on photos 180 to 200 (I think), Chortlon on Medlock, Epping Walk.

Think I'll sit down now, its all a bit of a shock like..

Its a long way from Hulme to Riyadh..

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/....php?irn=37531

Last edited by iRich; June 20th, 2006 at 07:03 PM. Reason: pic
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #73
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 131

Great post Rich.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #74
macc

Likes (Received): 22

Woohoo! Top post Rich. This thread just keeps getting better. I love the way of thinking behind getting off your head and painting pretty picture all over the staircases. Anyone else got any stories? Rich's has got to be tough to beat, though.
macc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #75
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 131

Topical Story re Craig Charles and Hulme though I probably should keep it to myself
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #76
High-Fi
Littlemoss, Shameside

Likes (Received): 234

Noooo!

Go on, go on, go on....would you like a cup of tea?
High-Fi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 06:04 PM   #77
iRich
We all vibrate wildly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwmoore
Anyone know anything about that "Romany City" club?
Yes, it was a second hand furniture / £30 TV place run by Pikeys I believe. I went in once with a mate who was looking for some furnture to replace that as was recently thieved. On the outer edge of Hulme heading towards the Salutation.

Hope that helps
Old June 21st, 2006, 06:09 PM   #78
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRich
Yes, it was a second hand furniture / £30 TV place run by Pikeys I believe. I went in once with a mate who was looking for some furnture to replace that as was recently thieved. On the outer edge of Hulme heading towards the Salutation.

Hope that helps

That makes sense, I think I vaguely remember it being still open. We got our furniture from the Salvation Army, they used to have a facility for such near the hostel past the Manc Way.

Your reminiscences make me want to put a load of mine "to paper", but I think id need to get drunk first!
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM   #79
iRich
We all vibrate wildly

Writing when drunk

I find that Guinness is particularly good at assisting the literary process. Not that I have any here at the moment unfortunately.

As my recent post seemed to go down well, I will now do a 'special' on crime in Hulme in 1985-86. It was about the lowest time of the 'Thatcher Years' and it was pretty bad at times there. I used to sleep with a six inch dive knife by the bed towards the end of my time there... after being burgled three times, attempted mugged once, beaten up once (when drunk, in my defence). Unemployment must have been at 60% or more local to Hulme, hardly anybody there had a job.

There was a symbiotic relationship between students and locals, in that the students moved in with TVs and Hifis etc and the locals promptly stole them . .. like my Mate Steve and his Buddies spending all day moving furniture into their new 'Top Cheap Student Flat' in Gretna Walk (I think it was Gretna) opposite the Brewery. They were dead chuffed cos we had been going on about how cheap it was in Hulme and handy for Uni/Town.

Anyway, the lifts were out and they were five floors up. By 5 pm they had finished so we joined em and went off to some boozer behind the Uni to celebrate. By the time they got back most of their stuff had already been nicked. Two days later they got burgled again.. this time clothes and food were stolen, including a bag of King Edwards (like I say, times were hard haha). A couple of days more, and the Front Door got pinched FFS.

I have to say that when heard that the door had been nicked I nearly died laughing. It presumably was taken to replace one broken elsewhere in another burglary.. We heard a few stories like that, breaking in just to take something specific but leaving other things, more like 'borrowing without consent' I guess haha. Anyway, Steve ended up moving into our place in Epping Walk.. he had nothing left apart from the clothes he was wearing. Epping Walk wasn't that bad at that time as we were on the edge of Hulme and on the top floor.

I remember a couple of years later coming home late one evening when the flat was empty (I was sharing with a girlfriend at the time and we had split up) and finding the front door broken in half, like a stable door. There was only one way in and out of the deck access flats and it wasn't good to go in, not knowing if there was a bunch of thieves still in there. Didn't sleep too well that night with couple of nails holding the door closed. Eventually they fitted the flats with metal doors and wired perspex bandit screens on the deck side windows. Like prison..

Drugs were pretty rife in Hulme then. It was easier to get herb than bread on a sunday morning. I remember wandering down to the Reno one afternoon with a mate who wanted some. We just wandered around shouting HASH, HASH' for a laugh until a local youth sized us up. He actually thought we were Plod at first.

A student in Duxbury Square used to punt out good hash, he used to buy a kilo and then sell it on in quarters, he thought he was Mr Big until the local dudes paid him a visit one evening. Nothing done, but the intent (3 polite large Rasta types with baseball bats) was enough for him to close up shop.

On a darker note, a friend cracked up after a year or so there. Dropped out of Uni, out of work (there were no jobs at that time, out of 70 grads in my year I think 5 had a job offer when we left), used to take a bit of speed, then anxiety, panic attacks, nervous breakdown, 8 weeks in a mental hospital, never really back to normal. It was a place where you could lose your way and your marbles too.

I well remember recurrent nightmares for a couple of years after I left Hulme that I was back in Epping Walk, so it must have been well spooky at times there. I habitually used to check doors and windows for years afterwards, no matter where I lived. I was glad to leave.
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #80
macc

Likes (Received): 22

Hulme Videos inc Tony Wilson Interview

Never thanked iRich for another top story. Cheers.

----

Have a gander at these babies...

Frustratingly I can't get my bastarding laptop speakers to work so I can't hear the interview yet

1988 video interview taken in hulme and features discussion (that I can't hear ) about Joy Division and the Hacienda. From the Hulme interest alone it is definately worth watching anyway; sound or no sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5ChNf3Z1c

---

Related only to Hulme, here is a short walking tour around a section of Hulme. It appears to be more interested in the graffiti than the buildings and was taken in 1996, so the place looks empty. Still great though.

A comment suggests the tour "starts off in otterburn/stonyhurst close and ends up out onto bonsall street"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olsX2MEU_N0

This youtube malarkey is getting quite useful
macc no está en línea   Reply With Quote