daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old October 24th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #121
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Likes (Received): 0

Squatting St Georges Church

Last edited by sjwmoore; February 4th, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
sjwmoore no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 24th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #122
projectblue

I never knew that about the church. I love the drawing with what I presume are fields and a few houses around the place? Total opposite of what Hulme became. I would love to see some old photograph's of Hulme in Victorian times. Was parts of it always a slum or did it just go that way from say the 20's onwards?I always found it bizarre that the first Rolls Royce was built and designed in what was to become one of the biggest shit holes in the UK.

I was doing some family history research for the anorak in me and found some of my ancestors lived in Hulme I think in the Victorian times.
projectblue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #123
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Last edited by sjwmoore; February 4th, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #124
macc

Likes (Received): 20

Cheers for all the pics and stories, swij. This thread still whoops the ass of every other thread on this forum. I think it contains the most hard to find information too. You can tell from the people that google their way in and posted (welcome projectblue), though granted its a bit of a niche area of interest.

The whole 80s punk scene sounded fun, but a bit before my time. Its a small regret of mine that despite dipping my toes into many different music scenes on my travels I never fully immersed myself into any of them. I'm now a bit too old to be getting a myself mohawk for Christmas.

Its something I'd recommend to those still at or going to Uni (or around that age); not necceassarily a Mohican hairdo, but going with the flow if you find yourself swept up in a movement or sub-culture. It forms great memories and it won't feel like you've done much in life if you don't have many of them.
Rock on , lets 'ave it and spread the love
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #125
projectblue

It's so interesting see that part of town how it use to be. One thing I did enjoy about living in Hulme was the clash between the old Hulme architecture and the 'new'.

All these sort of dignified old buildings around a complete void of a place.

Macc, what did you dip your toes into then?
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #126
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Thanks for the comments Macc. yes, it is something of a niche interest i suppose- maybe the "1986" should be removed from the thread and have it as a general Hulme thing, past and present.

Out of interest, heres Engels comments on Hulme- though the streets he mentions arent what we would regard as Hulme today really:

Farther down, on the left side of the Medlock, lies Hulme, which properly speaking, is one great working-people's district, the condition of which coincides almost exactly with that of Ancoats; the more thickly built-up regions chiefly bad and approaching ruin, the less populous of more modern structure, but generally sunk in filth. On the other side of the Medlock, in Manchester proper, lies a second great working-men's district which stretches on both sides of Deansgate as far as the business quarter, and in certain parts rivals the Old Town. Especially in the immediate vicinity of the business quarter, between Bridge and Quay Streets, Princess and Peter Streets, the crowded construction exceeds in places the narrowest courts of the Old Town. Here are long narrow lanes between which run contracted, crooked courts and passages, the entrances to which are so irregular that the explorer is caught in a blind alley at every few steps, or comes out where he least expects to, unless he knows every court and every alley exactly and separately. According to Dr. Kay, the most demoralised class of all Manchester lived in these ruinous and filthy districts, people whose occupations are thieving and prostitution and, to all appearances, his assertion is still true at the present moment. When the sanitary police made its expedition hither in 1851, it found the uncleanness as great as in Little Ireland or along the Irk (that it is not much better today, I can testify); and among other items, they found in Parliament Street for three hundred and eighty persons, and in Parliament Passage for thirty thickly populated houses, but a single privy.
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #127
projectblue

Sounds like since Hulme was field it's always been a shit hole!

Well not now of course.
Old October 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #128
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Last edited by sjwmoore; February 4th, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #129
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 12

My mum grew up in a one up one down "court" in Oldham with one toilet for every four dwellings. That was in the forties.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #130
projectblue

Thats amazing that. I didn't know Hulme and the local area was so densely populated.
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #131
macc

See now that is interesting. Its good to see other people share my peculiar love of maps.

Check out the slum streets on the close up map: Pheonix Street and Eagle Street. So gracious and strong. Someone was having a laugh.

When I get my time machine working I’ll put on my clogs and have a wander around them streets. Then I’ll fast forward to the eighties and have a stroll around the Hulme flats that intrigue me so much but I never actually saw. All I need now is a pram wheel and some spokey dokeys and my machine will be complete. I’ll get some photos.
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #132
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Last edited by sjwmoore; February 4th, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #133
macc

Christ! That top one says it all, doesn't it? It horrendous.....ly slumtastic

Moss Side looks bad enough on there but when you look past, towards the centre and into Hulme its like a maze. People must have gone their entire lives without ever leaving what you can see on that picture.
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #134
Isaac Newell

The first picture looks like a continental European city in it's density. The second picture looks like a provincial British city.
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #135
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Moss Side was quite a desirable white collar area at the time of the old pic, past Alexandra Park it was still fields. I remember some old fella telling me about the clearance of the area in the 70s, a lot of people had been moved into the Hulme flats but were glad to move back to the new Alex Park estate. Tales of Hulme in the 70s, when most people had jobs, the pubs were full and there was a bank in the middle of the crescents!
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #136
caw123
Hit the north!

Fascinating photos.

What was the fat grey lowrise north of the precinct, surrounded by bare land?

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #137
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Birley High School. Later it was an adult education centre. The new office park is called Birley something or other isnt it?
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #138
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

I think ive said this before but i find it fascinating how Princess Road (coming at the bottom right of the top pic) just sort of disappears into the maelstrom that is Hulme.
Without getting all pyschogeographical it really changes the relationship with how south east manchester and road travellers from the south relate to the city centre. I suppose most people travelled by rail in those days but once you have to penetrate an area you bring life to it where as now you just fly through it in a car.
Its a bit dangerous to be obssesed by the past but i would just love for one day to go back to such an intense place that has changed so much.

On a side note i went to a screening by the North West Film Archive of films about Manchester and one from 1945 started with a flythrough from around Manchester Airport right to the city centre but it went over Northernden, Southern cementry and over a Hulme very similiar to the picture above. I was almost wetting myself it was so exciting!
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #139
Isaac Newell

South Manchester was a product of the tram.
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #140
sjwmoore
sjwmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell View Post
South Manchester was a product of the tram.
So i believe. Was the attraction of living somewhere like Moss Side, being able to get into town easily.

Longford, do you know if NWFA plan to ever release some of their material to the public as dvd or anything? That aerial film sounds fantastic. I applied for a job there once, the gits didnt give it me- maybe just as well!

I also remember watching a TV documentary on Hulme and the crescents in the70s, id love to see that again.