daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #181
Jibba

Likes (Received): 1

^I'm really none too keen on having Karbowski behind this, either. As much as I want a hotel there, it's not as if one won't happen if it's not MCM's undertaking.
Jibba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #182
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Same deal as before and Waguespack opposes both garages

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...33&TM=38427.18

Developer pitches multilevel garage
By IAN FULLERTON

...Krzysztof Karbowski, head of MCM Properties, is asking area residents to support a zoning change that would allow him to build a parking garage at 1616-26 N. Milwaukee, close to the Northwest Tower, 1600 N. Milwaukee, where he plans to build a hotel. The five-story garage would be built as an addition to the historic Hollander building.

...Paula Barrington, executive director at the Wicker Park & Bucktown Chamber of Commerce, supports the project but wants the Hollander building's historic façade left in tact.

...MCM also plans to request a zoning change for 1628-32 N. Milwaukee, the building northwest of the proposed garage that once housed the Segundo Ruiz Belvis Cultural Center.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #183
creil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

By IAN FULLERTON

...Krzysztof Karbowski, head of MCM Properties, is asking area residents to support a zoning change that would allow him to build a parking garage at 1616-26 N. Milwaukee, close to the Northwest Tower, 1600 N. Milwaukee, where he plans to build a hotel. The five-story garage would be built as an addition to the historic Hollander building.

...Paula Barrington, executive director at the Wicker Park & Bucktown Chamber of Commerce, supports the project but wants the Hollander building's historic façade left in tact.

...MCM also plans to request a zoning change for 1628-32 N. Milwaukee, the building northwest of the proposed garage that once housed the Segundo Ruiz Belvis Cultural Center.
"For good urban planning, the worst thing you can do is put a parking garage at an intersection like this," Wauguespack said.

I agree. Two parking garages on this intersection will be traffic overkill in an area that is already an extremely dangerous mix of pedestrian and auto.

I like the idea of parking garages but we also need smart placement.

Waguespack said he believes the neighborhood's parking problems can be solved by opening up residential areas for parking during the day, changing schedules for loading zones and encouraging businesses to share them. The area currently relies on surface lots and metered and unmetered street parking.

I disagree. When did increasing traffic on residential streets become a good idea? Besides, when I lived on Wabansia and Leavitt, I never saw an abundance of available residential parking during the day.

Until a direct transit line connecting the north side to Btown/Wicker is available (Circle Line), parking garages seem to be the best solution. However, they can't sit right on top of these already traffic-snarled intersections.

Last edited by creil; January 18th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #184
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by creil View Post
Until a direct transit line connecting the north side to Btown/Wicker is available (Circle Line), parking garages seem to be the best solution. However, they can't sit right on top of these already traffic-snarled intersections.
I absolutely agree. In a way, this whole area is isolated from the rest of Chicago transit-wise. The Circle Line needs to happen (no busways, not BRTs...we need a heavy rail crosstown route). Garages are better than surface lots if they HAVE to be built. But I would say boo hoo, this is the inner city, there are going to be parking problems, and I think that's good. If there were no parking problems nobody would ever take transit.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #185
creil

From the East Village Association

What’s your vision for the Polish Triangle?
Posted by Webmaster on 1/15/2009
By Karin Sommer, Metropolitan Planning Council

The Special Service Area for the Wicker Park and Bucktown neighborhoods and the Metropolitan Planning Council are teaming up to transform the Polish Triangle at the intersection of Ashland, Milwaukee and Division Streets into a great public place. And we need your help!

Over the next year, a steering committee led by WPB and MPC and consisting of Aldermen Flores, Waguespack, and Burnett, as well as community organizations and city agencies, will collect ideas from neighborhood residents through surveys, outreach, and community meetings. We will keep you informed about these upcoming events through email blasts and the WPB website, wickerparkbucktown.org.

You can also become a part of the action by joining an online Placemaking network at theplacemakingmovement.ning.com. Check out the Polish Triangle group for project updates.

This collaboration is part of MPC’s Placemaking Chicago project. Placemaking is an approach to the creation and maintenance of public spaces that emphasizes parks in each community for residents to enjoy, neighborhoods that make people get out of their cars and explore, and safe, well-used public spaces that support economic development and foster residential pride.

The goal of Placemaking is to work with residents to develop a vision for their public spaces. For more information about Placemaking, please visit placemakingchicago.com.

Please share your vision for the Polish Triangle. Together, we can transform this space into a well-used public place that is truly an asset to the community.

Last edited by creil; January 17th, 2009 at 05:56 AM.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #186
Jibba

Quote:

By IAN FULLERTON

This quote easily takes the cake:
"This project will keep a lot of guys busy," Karbowski said. "Sixty days of work could make the difference of whether or not they lose their house."
What a despicable use of pathos this statement is. If the way Karbowski cares about the well-being of the neighborhood is a reliable indicator, then he probably doesn't give a damn about what happens to his employees. It doesn't surprise me in the least that developer scum like him would stoop to that level of shameless guile.

For the record, here are some pictures I took of the buildings in question that are potential candidates for re-zoning:

1616-26 N. Milwaukee (Hollander warehouse building):

As adjoined to 1600 N. Milwaukee (Northwest Tower--location of proposed hotel):

1628-31 N. Milwaukee (cultural center, also houses/ed the Open Door Gallery):

There is a parking lot in between 1616-26 and 1628-31, but it may or may not be owned by MCM. I wonder if the proposed garage is to be built mostly in this lot with a part of it in the Hollander or if it is going to take up the entirety of both properties. I am going to write to the BCO and Waguespack and see if I can get some more information about the design.
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #187
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

this parking garage idea at that exact point is idiotic
north ave is a mess as is
and this looks to make this area worse
and crazy (its already crazy) like north and clybourn with its parking garages.

its sad how they always fight the historical districts
and that the historical district really dont have teeth
keep the facade....
what it shows is that there are alot of boring greedy people
who own these buildings
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #188
Jibba

Yes, the owner of the property (Krzysztof Karbowski) is scum is you ask me. I contacted Scott Waguespack and the BCO and asked if I they had any more detailed information that they could offer me regarding what the exact plans for the Hollander would be in the proposed scheme. I'll let everyone know when and if I get any additional information.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:53 PM   #189
Jibba

(Taken verbatim from my post at SSP)

I don't really know how much interest there was with this issue, but I have some more information about the proposed garage in Wicker Park/Bucktown that, if built, would be adjacent/adjoining to the Hollander warehouse building to the NW of the Northwest Tower. The information published in the Chicago Journal article about the proposal didn't make very clear exactly how the proposed garage would be built within/around/adjacent-to the Hollander building, and a variety of quotes from various members of the community led me to believe that it would be a facadectomy, similar to the approach that they are taking with the Farewell Building on Michigan Avenue. I spoke with the president of the Bucktown Community Organization, Philip Edison, and I was able to gather a little more information about the proposal (see pictures I posted on a previous page for accompanying images to the properties mentioned):
  • the BCO gave very firm recommendations to MCM Development about keeping the Hollander building intact
  • because the Hollander has many interior columns that must stay in place for the structure to remain sound, no ramps would be constructed inside of the Hollander building, and hence no automobiles would be parked inside of it
  • the majority of the parking structure would be built to the NW of the Hollander, replacing a single-story brick garage and occupying a surface lot to the NW of the Hollander property
  • the proposal includes plans for a restaurant to occupy the ground level of the Hollander building
  • Philip emphasized that the plan does not propose a facadectomy or complete demolition of the Hollander building
  • the parking structure that would be built adjacent to and would adjoin the Hollander building was originally designed to mimic very closely the design of the Hollander building as far as the aesthetic goes (and the scale, I am assuming, since it would be about the same number of stories), but the BCO urged Karbowski to redesign this aspect of the design
  • the proposal also included plans to significantly alter the windows of the Hollander, but the BCO also firmly rejected these alterations
  • the project is still in a preliminary stage, but there will be a public meeting available for anyone to attend at the Bucktown library on Milwaukee Avenue on the third Tuesday of February
I know this isn't the biggest project, and I certainly have a heightened interest in it since I live about two blocks from the property in question, but I thought some of you might want to know this additional information and/or attend the meeting in February. Considering that the Milwaukee Avenue corridor has some of the best intact building stock in the entire city and that Manny Flores is drafting plans for transit-friendly zoning for the portion of Milwaukee Avenue running through his ward, Bucktown/Wicker Park/Logan Square really has a chance to blossom as a ped-friendly/transit-embracing community. However, Karbowski's previous developments as well as this current plan for a parking garage really threaten to counter that momentum with crappy, self-serving projects. Philip definitely agreed with me that Karbowski's "contributions" to the area have been anything but beneficial, and he assured me that the BCO is remaining very wary of any plan Karbowski cooks up, and they are scrutinizing his every move with watchful eyes.
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #190
chrome13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
(Taken verbatim from my post at SSP)

I don't really know how much interest there was with this issue, but I have some more information about the proposed garage in Wicker Park/Bucktown that, if built, would be adjacent/adjoining to the Hollander warehouse building to the NW of the Northwest Tower. The information published in the Chicago Journal article about the proposal didn't make very clear exactly how the proposed garage would be built within/around/adjacent-to the Hollander building, and a variety of quotes from various members of the community led me to believe that it would be a facadectomy, similar to the approach that they are taking with the Farewell Building on Michigan Avenue. I spoke with the president of the Bucktown Community Organization, Philip Edison, and I was able to gather a little more information about the proposal (see pictures I posted on a previous page for accompanying images to the properties mentioned):
  • the BCO gave very firm recommendations to MCM Development about keeping the Hollander building intact
  • because the Hollander has many interior columns that must stay in place for the structure to remain sound, no ramps would be constructed inside of the Hollander building, and hence no automobiles would be parked inside of it
  • the majority of the parking structure would be built to the NW of the Hollander, replacing a single-story brick garage and occupying a surface lot to the NW of the Hollander property
  • the proposal includes plans for a restaurant to occupy the ground level of the Hollander building
  • Philip emphasized that the plan does not propose a facadectomy or complete demolition of the Hollander building
  • the parking structure that would be built adjacent to and would adjoin the Hollander building was originally designed to mimic very closely the design of the Hollander building as far as the aesthetic goes (and the scale, I am assuming, since it would be about the same number of stories), but the BCO urged Karbowski to redesign this aspect of the design
  • the proposal also included plans to significantly alter the windows of the Hollander, but the BCO also firmly rejected these alterations
  • the project is still in a preliminary stage, but there will be a public meeting available for anyone to attend at the Bucktown library on Milwaukee Avenue on the third Tuesday of February
I know this isn't the biggest project, and I certainly have a heightened interest in it since I live about two blocks from the property in question, but I thought some of you might want to know this additional information and/or attend the meeting in February. Considering that the Milwaukee Avenue corridor has some of the best intact building stock in the entire city and that Manny Flores is drafting plans for transit-friendly zoning for the portion of Milwaukee Avenue running through his ward, Bucktown/Wicker Park/Logan Square really has a chance to blossom as a ped-friendly/transit-embracing community. However, Karbowski's previous developments as well as this current plan for a parking garage really threaten to counter that momentum with crappy, self-serving projects. Philip definitely agreed with me that Karbowski's "contributions" to the area have been anything but beneficial, and he assured me that the BCO is remaining very wary of any plan Karbowski cooks up, and they are scrutinizing his every move with watchful eyes.
That's good to hear. When is the meeting in Feb?
chrome13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #191
Jibba

^The 17th.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #192
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...43&TM=84927.45

Boutique hotel on Division Street?
By Jessica Levco and Micah Maidenberg

Details about the possibility of a new hotel opening in Wicker Park will be announced at the Feb. 3 East Village Association meeting.

On Jan. 12, the EVA board unanimously voted not to oppose a special-use zoning permit that the hotel would need to open, according to Scott Rappe, EVA planning director. Rappe described the project as a "boutique hotel."

The hotel is proposed for the building at 1659 W. Division by Third Coast Construction, according to details the company gave EVA. A representative from the company, Dan Sheehy, declined to comment on the proposal. The building falls within the 1st Ward.
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #193
creil

Quote:
http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...43&TM=84927.45

Boutique hotel on Division Street?
By Jessica Levco and Micah Maidenberg

Details about the possibility of a new hotel opening in Wicker Park will be announced at the Feb. 3 East Village Association meeting.

On Jan. 12, the EVA board unanimously voted not to oppose a special-use zoning permit that the hotel would need to open, according to Scott Rappe, EVA planning director. Rappe described the project as a "boutique hotel."

The hotel is proposed for the building at 1659 W. Division by Third Coast Construction, according to details the company gave EVA. A representative from the company, Dan Sheehy, declined to comment on the proposal. The building falls within the 1st Ward.
Just for reference, they're trying to recreate something similar to the Lafayette House in NYC.

Should be an interesting addition to the neighborhood. I like the idea of having hotel rooms in neighborhoods away from the lakefront or airport.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM   #194
creil

Saved by land swap?
Fearing imminent demolition, St. Boniface neighbors jam Ald. Burnett’s ward night

By MICAH MAIDENBERG
Editor

First posted 1/27/2009 2:41 p.m.

A land swap between the City of Chicago and the Archdiocese of Chicago might be the best chance for preservation of the St. Boniface campus, according to 27th Ward Ald. Walter Burnett.

That was the news Burnett, who represents the West Town area that includes the St. Boniface church and rectory structures, shared with more than 20 anxious neighborhood residents and preservationist activists who jammed Burnett's office last Thursday night in search of answers.

"The city is trying to figure out a way to trade a piece of property for the archdiocese property to preserve St. Boniface," Burnett told the crowd.

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...95&TM=55825.53
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #195
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=32949

In brief: Fitness in Bucktown | ProLogis leases | Rosemont garages
By Staff, Feb. 09, 2009

Former NFL kicker, wife to open Bucktown fitness studio

Former pro football kicker Brett Conway and his wife, Tami, a veteran dancer and dance teacher, plan to open the first city location this spring of a fitness studio using the Dailey Method. The studio will occupy 4,285 square feet at 1714 N. Damen Ave. in Bucktown, according to Baum Realty Group, which represented the landlord. Dailey Method, which began in the San Francisco Bay Area, combines work on a ballet barre with core conditioning, stretching and orthopedic exercises, according to its Web site. Dailey Method also has a location in Naperville — currently the only one outside California. Daniel Jacobson of CB Richard Ellis represented the tenant. Mr. Conway, who spent most of his NFL career with the Washington Redskins, also is a broker at CB Richard Ellis. He says his goal would be to open a few more Dailey Method locations, most likely in the suburbs.
Old February 13th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #196
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

I live on North a block from Damen, and we finally have meters out front -- and there's always space over here. Even before there were meters, I've had friends who drive here say that they can usually find parking on my block in the evenings. Better rationing with the existing meters, a reduction in loading zones, and combining valet operations will all open up a lot of parking spaces. The fact of the matter is, there is in fact plenty of parking: 3,600 spaces just on the commercial streets, of which 1/3 is on street. (There are over a thousand spaces just at hospitals, churches, and the K-Mart, which would be great shared parking opportunities.) That many parking spaces would fill a "supertall" skyscraper like 311 South Wacker; that's enough parking spaces to satisfy a 900,000-foot suburban mall.

A garage here isn't just unnecessary and wouldn't just further add to congestion (and, by the way, would bleed cash), it would represent a giant opportunity cost in terms of future land use.

Waguespack said he believes the neighborhood's parking problems can be solved by opening up residential areas for parking during the day, changing schedules for loading zones and encouraging businesses to share them. The area currently relies on surface lots and metered and unmetered street parking.

The idea with residential streets is that currently a lot of shop employees are feeding the meters during the day. I went into one of the mobile-phone stores here once and while I was speaking with an employee, she inexplicably rushed outside. Why? She had to feed all four of her co-workers' meters out front. Those prime spaces should be used by customers; employees can walk around the corner. One block away from that store, there are new residential parking zones which are in effect 24 hours a day. Is that really necessary?
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #197
Ch.G, Ch.G

Likes (Received): 18

^ You're absolutely right. The parking situation in Bucktown/Wicker Park absolutely does not warrant a new garage. I've never had a problem finding a spot there, not at night and certainly not during the day.

The whole process seems to illuminate what kind of an operation Karbowski runs. Back in the fall, he announces his plan to convert the Northwest Tower to a hotel, no trade-off, no strings attached, but given his track record the announcement raises some eyebrows. Then, a few months later, after he has given the idea time to sink into an acceptable reality, he proposes a garage for the adjacent property, hoping those whom he has predisposed to the hotel plan would naturally understand the logic of accompanying parking. It's transparently political and in no way beneficial to anyone but Karbowski.

I hope the hipster/"yupster" community proves itself more than a collection of apathetic bystanders and cynics and rallies against the proposal. Or maybe this Third Coast boutique hotel will throw a wrench into MCM's plans?
Ch.G, Ch.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #198
Jibba

^Or the CTA might:

Some notes from the Bucktown Community Organization meeting this evening:
  • Of the two parking garages proposed for Bucktown/Wicker Park near the Six Corners intersection (North/Damen/Milwaukee), one is "going through" according to Courtney Owen, VP of Planning and Zoning for the BCO. The garage that is proceeding with construction is the one located on Damen, 1611 N. to be precise. However, they still need approval from the zoning board of city council.
  • This garage, at 1611 N. Damen, is going ahead in a reduced form: the footprint of the structure has been reduced, and accordingly the building located to the north that was slated to be demolished for the larger-footprint version is now going to be untouched. With the reduced footprint, the number of parking spaces in the garage has been reduced to 66 from 135. Retail at the base is still part of the design.
  • The BCO received confirmation from the developer of the garage that agreed-to stipulations about the design for the previous version would carry over to the new design. I asked Courtney for specifics regarding these agreed-to criteria, and I did not receive any specific details, only that the BCO gave the developer a variety of stipulations about the design regarding the functionality and the aesthetic.
  • The other parking garage, at 1628 N. Milwaukee, is still at a preliminary stage. I wasn't able to gather many further details about the current state of the proposal beyond what I have previously posted; Philip (the BCO president) was out of town for the meeting, and he likely has the most up-to-date information. One interesting bit of new information was that Karbowski has run into a bit of a snag with his proposal, which involves the CTA and their interest over the piece of property in question for future expansion plans. Scott Waguespack is still disapproving of the design. There will also be a community vote about the proposal in March (I still need to get the specific date from Courtney), but it is for BCO members only. I am not sure about the efficacy of this vote insofar as how consequential it is to the final outcome of the project.
  • A person attending tonight's BCO meeting also attended a meeting held by the WPC discussing this garage proposal, and they were presented with a traffic study at that meeting. Not surprisingly, the traffic study they were presented with was very vague, and the party presenting the study was unable to field even minor and uncomplicated questions regarding the logistics of traffic flow on North Avenue. Further corroborating the likelihood that the traffic study was a complete sham, the same agency conducted the traffic studies for both the 1628 Milwaukee proposal and the aforementioned proposal at 1611 Damen, and the traffic studies for each were wildly different according to said gentleman. This despite the fact that they are about 800 ft. from one another. The gentleman also stated that it sounded as though the traffic studies were catered to each development to a high degree and that the agency responsible for them was likely pandering to the developers.
  • Another zoning item on tonight's agenda was a property at 1810 W. Cortland, previous home of Chicago photographer and preservationist Richard Nickel. Minor modifications have been proposed for the property: a zoning change from RS-3 to RT-4, and a proposed 400 sq.-ft. addition to the rear of the property. According to Courtney, the zoning change is only being requested so that the property can be split into two units out of the current single unit. I am not very familiar with the terms of the zoning lexicon, so I don't know what the potential ramifications of the changed designation are. Also, the owners have expressed their desire to seek landmark status of the property; this despite their desired addition to it (I'm not sure if the addition conflicts with their goal of landmarking or not).
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #199
spyguy
Expert

^Thanks for attending and all the info. If there's going to be a garage at all I'm glad they're reducing the footprint, which will reduce the number of spots and save the older building. "Going through" doesn't always mean they have the financing to build this thing, so maybe there is still some hope there.

Any news on the Midwest Bank building?
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #200
Jibba

^Nope, nothing about any plans for that. The next meeting of the BCO is going to focus primarily on zoning, and Courtney says that she has a very lengthy presentation planned, so there could be some further information then. The party that purchased that building is the same one that wants to develop the garage on Damen (in case you didn't know--but I'm sure you did), and aic4ever at SSP thought that the price they paid ($38 million, IIRC) was very high, comparable to prices on Oak Street or the like. So my guess is that they are banking on the garage to raise some needed capital before proceeding with any plans for the bank building itself. Although, as paytonc mentioned above, I'm not sure how profitable the endeavor will be for them, anyway.