daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #101
creil

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by creil View Post
Tear down Jewel, Kmart, Pizza Hut and Wendys. Along with the parking lot behind MB Bank (that building could be a real gem if they'd put some huge beautiful arched windows in it like it used to have), you could make three amazing pedestrian plazas around that intersection. Open air, and year round markets along with boutique retail and restaurants. Talk about transit oriented development. If they ever build the Circle Line, that area would be amazing.
This intersection could become a toned down, smaller Times Sq/Piccadilly style area outside of the city center. More tasteful and less touristy. The potential is there.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #102
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:

This intersection could become a toned down, smaller Times Sq/Piccadilly style area outside of the city center. More tasteful and less touristy. The potential is there.
wow already quoting yourself
i agree with everything youve said,
that is a way too dense part of the city to have
such bullshit suburban stuff in it,
I would love to see a highrise there.
and retail.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #103
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I'm not sure what neighborhood thread to put this in, so I'll stick it here.

7-story condo building with ground level retail is planned for Lincoln Square, has community support, and will replace an antiques store, auto repair shop, and a medical office building:

http://www.insideonline.com/site/epage/54770_162.htm
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #104
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...533&TM=655.311

Revolution with a foamy head
Logan Square brewery to use half million in TIF

By TIMOTHY INKLEBARGER

Logan Square residents could be sipping lager, pilsner and stout beers brewed in their own backyard by the end of 2008 if the city approves a plan to spend about $490,000 in tax increment financing dollars on the project.

The TIF uses property taxes in blighted areas of the city in an effort to spur economic development. Revolution Brewing would use the money to rehab the building's façade, install a green roof and passenger elevator, making the building handicapped accessible.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #105
The Urban Politician
The City

Why does Smithfield insist on being annoying?

Well, I must say that NIMBYism can sometimes be a good thing:

Strip mall headed for Bucktown
MCM Properties to develop 60 condos with Smithfield

By TIMOTHY INKLEBARGER
Editor

Neighbors are trying to put the brakes on a proposed strip mall in Bucktown by real estate developer Smithfield Properties.

Representatives of the Bucktown Triangle Association-bounded by Western, Milwaukee, Leavitt and North-say plans for the strip mall at the intersection of Milwaukee and Leavitt have changed from a proposal presented to the group more than a year ago. Previous plans for the development put buildings up against the stretch of Milwaukee, creating a more traditional Chicago streetscape. Greenstein said the development would go on empty parcels of land that abut the el track to the west. West of the el track, the company is working with MCM Properties to develop five condominium buildings that will stand five stories high and include 60 parking spaces.
http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...75&TM=40754.89
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #106
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

This dumb strip mall proposal is going nowhere fast. The alderman, Manny Flores is already getting hammered about it. Did he give Smithfield the thumbs up behind closed doors? Does Flores really think that people will not notice that Flores is allowing this cancerous strip mall?

I wonder what is in his head. Anyway, I know people who are working against this waste-of-space project.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #107
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Did you see the Reader front cover last week?
http://www.chicagoreader.com/feature...olishtriangle/

One advantage here is that many of the properties to the west of Ashland (including the MB parking lot) are owned by a single developer, Joseph Freed. I've been working on getting examples of other economically successful North American pedestrian passages and have sent some over to them already; here's what I have to date:
http://westnorth.com/2007/09/20/passages/
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #108
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^All this talk about MB's lot reminds me of this OWP/P project

OWP/P’s client controls a land parcel on Chicago’s Near North Side. With a majority of the property zoned for parking under existing Planned Development, our client is interested in obtaining Aldermanic and City approval to increase the allowed density in the site’s zoning.

OWP/P studied five development alternatives for the site—each with different configurations and densities of residential, retail and parking—and prepared sketch plans for our client to use in arguing its case for changes to the zoning.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #109
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Zoned for PARKING?

Who's the brilliant ****wad who came up with that?
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #110
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Just inexpertly worded. Presumably the site was where the developer had decided to place parking as part of a larger "planned development ordinance." Chicago doesn't have a zoning classification for "parking."
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #111
paytonc
Pragmatist

Um, that *is* the MB Bank parking lot (note Mas restaurant). And yes, it's currently an area that's shown as parking under the current Planned Development's illustrative plan. I remember talking with the alderman about potentially allowing a high-rise behind MB as a way to extract better concessions out of Freed -- he was, needless to say, a bit skeptical.
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #112
JV_325i

So a while back (maybe not that long ago, I think it was around September of this year) there was a plywood barrier installed around the flat iron building that had some stuff painted on it advertising an art fair that was upcoming. Anyway, I was assuming that the space was being renovated since Swank Frank had moved up to Logan Square and a new tenant was likely filling the space. I have since come to learn here http://www.consciouschoice.com/2007/...ation0706.html (blurb at the end of the page) that the space is in fact being filled by a Bank of America or some shit like that. WTF? There are already TWO damn banks already on two corners of that intersection and a third one only a couple storefronts down from one of the corners that doesn't have a bank. Can anyone confirm/disconfirm this?

If this shouldn't be posted here because it isn't involving the construction of something new then someone can let me know and i'll delete the post or move it elsewhere, but I would like some more information on this if anyone has any because plainly, this kind of ******* pisses me off.
JV_325i no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #113
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Meh - history repeats itself. Busy intersections of major streets are excellent places for banks to locate, which is part of the reason that so many major intersections have huge bank buildings.

As the median income of Wicker Park residents keeps increasing, expect to see even more banks open up.

I love the artsy independent businesses in the area too, but IMO Wicker Park is on its way out as a Bohemian community. Surrounding neighborhoods like Humboldt Park, Ukrainian Village, and yes, Logan Square are picking up the slack.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #114
JV_325i

^True enough, but I would hope that history wouldn't repeat itself here especially considering what a horrible disservice a gawdy bank will do to this wonderful structure. Wishful thinking, I know. Not that Filter had the best coffee in the world, but it was a nice, vibrant place to sit and read or get some work done, and at least I wouldn't have to set foot in Starbucks. Swank Frank will be missed though; I don't know of any where else within walking distance of my place that I can get a deep-fried Twinkie at.
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #115
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV_325i View Post
^True enough, but I would hope that history wouldn't repeat itself here especially considering what a horrible disservice a gawdy bank will do to this wonderful structure. Wishful thinking, I know. Not that Filter had the best coffee in the world, but it was a nice, vibrant place to sit and read or get some work done, and at least I wouldn't have to set foot in Starbucks. Swank Frank will be missed though; I don't know of any where else within walking distance of my place that I can get a deep-fried Twinkie at.
I'm not so sure that BofA will do a bad job with the building - they've done a bang-up job preserving their building on LaSalle. The Flat Iron location probably won't be that good, but take a look at the Clark/Madison location - that's probably similar to what Wicker Park will get.

It really depends on how well the building has been maintained over the years, and whether the space fits their needs (some room for a counter, a waiting line, a little seating area, and an ATM vestibule). If the space fits their needs and has been well-maintained, expect to see a minimum of exterior changes. The large lit signage can hang behind the windows. If the space doesn't fit their needs, then BofA will likely modify the space and do it as cheaply as possible - say, covering up the outside terracotta tiles with a large sign, and, say, replacing the vintage ceiling with the dreaded drop ceiling and acoustic tiles.

Having never been to Swank Frank, I can't say what the interior is like and whether it's historic or not.

Last edited by ardecila; November 13th, 2007 at 02:17 AM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #116
JV_325i

^The interior was nothing to write home about (i.e. looked like a typical hot dog joint, nothing historical about any of the interior -- ceiling included), but the fried Twinkies were incredible .
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #117
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV_325i View Post
So a while back (maybe not that long ago, I think it was around September of this year) there was a plywood barrier installed around the flat iron building that had some stuff painted on it advertising an art fair that was upcoming.
You just heard? There's only been eight months of hue and cry about it since Filter's closing was announced back in March: the 22nd most-commented story of all time over at Chicagoist, for instance. Even people from out of town have asked "so, what about Filter closing?" whenever I mentioned that I live in WP.
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #118
JV_325i

Well, I have known about Filter's closing since it, well, closed. But yes, I just heard about the fact that Bank of America would be a new tenant. I just moved to Wicker Park a few months ago, and I am sorry that I haven't made sure to keep you happy by knowing about this the moment the news became public.
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #119
paytonc
Pragmatist

You're forgiven if you've only just moved here. I was trying not to be too snide, but you know how it is when you're reminded of something unpleasant that you've heard about incessantly.

Meanwhile, I still can't find an adequate coffee place open past -- 8 PM?! Sweet Thang, perhaps, but even Leitizia's now closes at 5PM on weekends.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #120
creil

Likes (Received): 1

Half & Half has closed as well. Apperently they've moved their espresso equipment over to Godess & Grocer which is open till 9 (8 on Sat and 7 on Sun).
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote