daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #121
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

Funny, I kind of overheard that recently and saw Debbie (the owner) as recently as Tuesday. I wonder if the landlord's looking to combine the space with the also shuttered camera shop.

Goddess has that one table in the front, but it's hardly linger-friendly. Leitizia's had some awful techno/hip hop music last night, although it didn't dissuade me from the "catbird seat" up front. Sure, there are some bars in the area that are low-key, but it's really not the same.

To answer your question upthread: dunno what's up with the Burger King, but Milwaukee's designation as "pedestrian street" zoning stopped a proposal to reuse it as a drive-thru bank -- one of the few good things to have happened lately.

Also, Ald. Waguespack said at a meeting on Tuesday that he has talked with Starwood about a hotel at the Northwest Tower site, but that there's nothing to announce yet. I know many developers and stay in many hotels, but so far don't know any hotel developers...

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #122
creil

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Funny, I kind of overheard that recently and saw Debbie (the owner) as recently as Tuesday. I wonder if the landlord's looking to combine the space with the also shuttered camera shop.

Goddess has that one table in the front, but it's hardly linger-friendly. Leitizia's had some awful techno/hip hop music last night, although it didn't dissuade me from the "catbird seat" up front. Sure, there are some bars in the area that are low-key, but it's really not the same.

To answer your question upthread: dunno what's up with the Burger King, but Milwaukee's designation as "pedestrian street" zoning stopped a proposal to reuse it as a drive-thru bank -- one of the few good things to have happened lately.

Also, Ald. Waguespack said at a meeting on Tuesday that he has talked with Starwood about a hotel at the Northwest Tower site, but that there's nothing to announce yet. I know many developers and stay in many hotels, but so far don't know any hotel developers...

Interesting about Starwood. They had a boutique concept called aloft in the works when I was working for them. I haven't kept up with the progress of it since I left, but it would seem to be a logical fit for that area.

BTW, we have a few nice coffee shops down here in the Eckhart Park area that you should try. Swim is on Noble and Chicago and there is a new Arabic coffee shop where Coffee on Milwaukee used to be. Both serve a good cup. Swim's coffee is on the stiff side which I like. Stop by Flo's on Sunday for great coffee and great bruch.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #123
Sir Isaac Newton

Northeast Bucktown

I am looking at the possibility of buying a place in Northeast Bucktown in the next year or two - perhaps on Lister Avenue, between Fullerton and Webster. I was wondering what people (especially those who live relatively close by) think of the area. It seems a little bit out of the way, but within walking distance to lots of good restaurants/bars/shops either due heading east to LP or South to the heart of Bucktown. Does anyone know if there is a lot more residential development as well as retail that may be coming, in the more immediate area? Thanks!
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM   #124
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I think there's supposed to be some new (big) retail going in just south of Green Dolphin, but that's all I've heard about. I believe the existing building there is some sort of "tannery", but no idea if they're still in business.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:52 AM   #125
paytonc
Pragmatist

a coworker of mine lived on Lister until recently, deciding to move mostly for space (a second child), to cash out on the real estate market, and also to be a little closer to things. Lister is awfully far from the "L."

Flubnut might be mixing up two separate retail developments, one east of the river and south of Webster on the former site of a tannery and the other at the SW corner of Ashland and Webster.

I like Webster's Wine Bar, but otherwise it's a part of town I just sort of breeze through.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM   #126
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I think it's important to distinguish between "car storage" in residential buildings and "transient parking" at businesses. The trip generation rates for residents of neighborhoods with good transit access are not usually of great concern, and seldom much of a danger to pedestrians. In a wealthy mobile society, people often find it convenient to own cars even if they don't use them very often.
It does beg the question, though: excessive parking of any sort, since it necessarily places "dead" uses at or near grade, is still detrimental to the pedestrian experience. So what can be done to reduce it as much as possible, especially if these cars are basically in long-term storage? It's like how market-pricing of street parking aims to discourage longer-term, low-turnover (employee/resident) parking in favor of shorter-term, higher-turnover (shopper) parking.

Offsite valet parking comes to mind, especially for buildings which already have doormen. Car-sharing is the obvious answer, and now both I-Go and Zipcar have daily rates which better address the needs of users like you.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:17 AM   #127
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I think within a decade we'll be mystified by how slow we were to adopt mechanical parking/car storage solutions, as we now see used in Europe. Those will allow the cars to be put in low-value portions of buildings (including basements), easily lined by other functions and requiring little ventilation. Freed of ramp constraints, there are all kinds of place to put parking cubbyholes, even in a small building.

Carsharing probably will continue to grow, and might even push a few more folks like me to abandon ownership. I'm not sure it will capture the empty-nester couple who likes to take the dogs to the Michigan house on weekends, though.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #128
creil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
I think there's supposed to be some new (big) retail going in just south of Green Dolphin, but that's all I've heard about. I believe the existing building there is some sort of "tannery", but no idea if they're still in business.
Waguespack backs grocery store
Bucktown development will include strip mall, bank

By TIMOTHY INKLEBARGER
Editor

After months of deliberation and vetting the project with neighborhood groups, 32nd Ward Alderman Scott Waguespack has given the green light to a proposed grocery store, strip mall and drive-thru bank in Bucktown.......
http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...76&TM=64006.87
Old December 6th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #129
creil

Some info on the Pizza Hut site on Ahsland and Division. Also, info on the Rainbow Shop on Milwaukee and Ashland being converted into a Bank of America.

http://news.eastvillagechicago.org/2...opment_30.html

Last edited by creil; December 6th, 2007 at 02:34 AM.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #130
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by creil View Post
Waguespack backs grocery store
Bucktown development will include strip mall, bank

By TIMOTHY INKLEBARGER
Editor

After months of deliberation and vetting the project with neighborhood groups, 32nd Ward Alderman Scott Waguespack has given the green light to a proposed grocery store, strip mall and drive-thru bank in Bucktown.......
http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...76&TM=64006.87
Just to clarify - this is not the proposal at Leavitt and Milwaukee that faced community opposition after the developer turned it into a strip mall. Same developer, but this project is at Webster and Ashland.

The "strip mall" moniker is misleading - it looks similar to Southgate Market. The grocery store mentioned is supposed to be a Roundy's, and the article has some renderings showing a progressive modern design. Overall, the project looks to be a very pedestrian-oriented design, which is unusual for the Elston Corridor, and will be a big victory if successful.

ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #131
Rhynosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by creil View Post
Some info on the Pizza Hut site on Ahsland and Division. Also, info on the Rainbow Shop on Milwaukee and Ashland being converted into a Bank of America.

http://news.eastvillagechicago.org/2...opment_30.html

Unbelievable...we were just walking past this the other day and my girlfriend pointed out they were closing, I said something along the lines of "They'll probably put in another %$#@ing bank".
Great, just what the neighborhood needed, another dose of homogenization.
Rhynosaurus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #132
hokiehigh

Does anyone know what is going up at the corner of Webster and Damen? This is right across from Bucktown Beanery. I have a feeling it is more condos with ground floor retail but there is no sign at the site which describes the project.
hokiehigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #133
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehigh View Post
Does anyone know what is going up at the corner of Webster and Damen? This is right across from Bucktown Beanery. I have a feeling it is more condos with ground floor retail but there is no sign at the site which describes the project.
I was wondering the same thing myself....it looks like a fairly decent sized development...
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #134
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

67-unit development OKd for Logan Square
By Jeanette Almada | Special to the Tribune
January 13, 2008
A 67-unit residential project is slated for the vacant former site of a convent and nursing home in Logan Square.

Robert Heideman and Menash Zadik will develop the project at 2650 N. Ridgeway Ave. through a limited liability entity.

The Chicago Plan Commission last month approved the project with 56 townhouses and 11 condominiums on the 1.86-acre site.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,2457275.story
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #135
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I wish the same would be pushed for Pilsen's commercial district:

Support voiced for Milwaukee landmark

January 16, 2008
By MARK LAWTON Staff Writer
Supporters outnumbered those against a proposed Milwaukee Avenue Landmark district at a Jan. 11 hearing by the City Council's Committee on Historical Landmark Preservation.

The proposed district would landmark the 1200 to 1600 blocks of North Milwaukee Avenue, the 1500 block of North Damen Avenue and the 1900 to 2000 blocks of West North Avenue. The proposed district is composed of 149 buildings and focuses on buildings constructed between 1877 and 1929.
http://www.pioneerlocal.com/booster1...011608.article
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #136
creil

Just an idea.......eliminate parking on Milwaukee (at least from Des Plaines to Logan Square) and widen the sidewalks. Any takers?
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #137
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Only if it's combined with some aggressive concrete planters. That's the only reason Michigan Avenue works. There needs to be some sort of barrier between the traffic and the sidewalk, so pedestrians feel safe.
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #138
Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Only if it's combined with some aggressive concrete planters. That's the only reason Michigan Avenue works. There needs to be some sort of barrier between the traffic and the sidewalk, so pedestrians feel safe.
Right. A bike lane could maybe do it too, if it were made so that cars actually wouldn't drive on it (painted asphalt, curb-like divider, something like that). Milwaukee is in such high demand as a bike route despite its hazardousness that it might make sense for the city to attempt some kind of arrangement there.
Abner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #139
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Such a thing is being done in Indianapolis, I believe, on a major street. I've seen it in other cities too.
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #140
creil

Mixed-Use, Multi-Story Development comes to Ashland Division (But not where you think!)
Posted by Webmaster on 1/07/2008
By Scott A. Rappe

After months of rumors about a development coming to the large parking lot behind the MB Bank, permits have been issued and construction has begun. This week heavy equipment began work on a new 33 unit development with ground floor retail space and both surface and underground parking.

Sited almost directly across Division Street from the proposed Walgreens, this development is mostly consistent
with the community’s goals for the Pizza Hut site......http://news.eastvillagechicago.org/2...ent-comes.html

http://www.visioncondominium.com/