daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala > Kollam



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #7161
Reghu
Kollam Rising
 
Reghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quilon (Kollam)/Bangalore
Posts: 7,278
Likes (Received): 2034

There is a proposal in the current Kerala budget to widen all the Kerala city roads that have less than 6 metre width.

If this is true, I think it will benefit Kollam city as there are lot of city arterial and inner roads that is narrow and maybe less than 6 metres. An important so called bypass (Mangad road ) that connects the city to the suburb has a very narrow bridge and the road in most of the stretch is very narrow.

But the question here is "How will the govt aquire land for widen the narrow roads in the city areas where the road sides are mushroomed with big buildings?" Any fund allocated for compensation to the evictees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reghu View Post
Friends, any fund allocation on Kollam Ports development road infrastructure development of Kollam city in the Kerala Budget?

Heard that the finance minister has approved one more govt. medical college for TVM. It is quite disappointing as Kollam seems to be the only district in southern part of Kerala without any state govt. medical college.

If not in Kollam city, there should propose a govt. medical college in Kottarakkara or Kundara?
Reghu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #7162
arun thampi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 29
Likes (Received): 3

what about the new 4star hotel in kadappakada?Is it good?Any news?
arun thampi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #7163
steffin quilonklm
ska
 
steffin quilonklm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: kollam,pathanamthitta,thrissur
Posts: 1,069
Likes (Received): 582

heard that kalyan( not sure) is coming up in the land between diya and xaviers .......land cle for cleared and all set for some constructions

Last edited by steffin quilonklm; March 16th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
steffin quilonklm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #7164
NANDAKUMAR KOLLAM
Registered User
 
NANDAKUMAR KOLLAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KOLLAM
Posts: 923
Likes (Received): 1041

cashew board @ kollam soon

CM oommen chandy said that central govt & planning commission given sanction for cashew board based at kollam. The delay was due to a technical problem that whether the board has to come under the ministry of agriculture or commerce.State proposal was for ministry of commerce. CM said that problem will be solved soon.
__________________

dilmohanklm liked this post
NANDAKUMAR KOLLAM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #7165
manu m
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 33
Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reghu View Post
There is a proposal in the current Kerala budget to widen all the Kerala city roads that have less than 6 metre width.

If this is true, I think it will benefit Kollam city as there are lot of city arterial and inner roads that is narrow and maybe less than 6 metres. An important so called bypass (Mangad road ) that connects the city to the suburb has a very narrow bridge and the road in most of the stretch is very narrow.

But the question here is "How will the govt aquire land for widen the narrow roads in the city areas where the road sides are mushroomed with big buildings?" Any fund allocated for compensation to the evictees?
Kollam draws only noughts and crosses from the state budget presented by Sri K.M mani .unless we assert ourselves and clamour for more development will elude kollam,the fourth largest town in kerala .while smaller towns find mention in the budget kollam has taken the last seat on development front.Surprisingly, there have been no voices of protests,sit-in -strikes ,token strikes, dawn-to-dusk hunger strikes and political dramas staged by "forward looking forces"this time. the political juggernaut rolls on and the hellish arguments continue
__________________

NANDAKUMAR KOLLAM liked this post
manu m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #7166
dilmohanklm
JONY DILLU
 
dilmohanklm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kollam (Quilon) / Dubai
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANDAKUMAR KOLLAM View Post
CM oommen chandy said that central govt & planning commission given sanction for cashew board based at kollam. The delay was due to a technical problem that whether the board has to come under the ministry of agriculture or commerce.State proposal was for ministry of commerce. CM said that problem will be solved soon.
Nanda, where did you get the news from?
dilmohanklm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #7167
dilmohanklm
JONY DILLU
 
dilmohanklm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kollam (Quilon) / Dubai
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 381

Biodiversity heritage tag for Asramam mangroves soon

Kerala State Biodiversity Board would soon move the proposal to the State government for recognition

The Kerala State Biodiversity Board (KSBB) plans to provide the mangrove forests of Asramam on the banks of Ashtamudi Lake in the city with a biodiversity heritage tag. The board would soon move the proposal to the State government for recognition, sources said.

Such a status for the Asramam mangroves had been a long-standing demand by environmental activists led by former professor of S.N. College N. Ravi.

The board cleared the status for the Asramam mangroves on the basis of a formal communication from Mayor Prasanna Earnest following a representation by environmental activists led by Prof. Ravi. He said the rich mangroves were destroyed for accommodating developmental activities there.

“Whatever remains should be protected in the larger interests of the environment and biodiversity.” He said there were moves on the part of the District Tourism Promotion Council to clear even the remaining mangroves for carrying out developmental activities under the guise of tourism promotion.

At one stage, even the intervention of the High Court at Prof. Ravi’s instance was needed to stop the destruction of the mangroves.

He said the Asramam mangrove spread was habitat to the highly endangered Syzygium travancoricum species of mangroves. If the area was not protected, even the remaining mangroves would vanish. In addition to being a major spawning ground for several edible marine species, the Asramam mangroves in the past was also home to otters and migratory birds. If proper protection was given these could be brought back, he said.

Prof. Ravi had petitioned the Mayor stating that the authorities of KSBB were keen to protect the spread subject to a recommendation from the Biodiversity Management Committee of the Kollam Corporation of which the Mayor is the chairperson.
dilmohanklm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #7168
Reghu
Kollam Rising
 
Reghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quilon (Kollam)/Bangalore
Posts: 7,278
Likes (Received): 2034

Yes...not it is almost certain that Kollam will get the Cashew Board. But the concern is how long we have to wait for that. Generally, these Board offices are huge offices/buildings which gives employment for hundres of people.

So, another central government office may come up in Kollam soon..after ESI Sub region office, PF sub regional office, and the Passport Seva Kendara. We need more central government offices in Kollam which provide more job opportunitites as well as a cosmopolitan culture to the city.

CM also mentioned in the DCC meeting that Kollam Port Development works will be completed by giving high priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANDAKUMAR KOLLAM View Post
CM oommen chandy said that central govt & planning commission given sanction for cashew board based at kollam. The delay was due to a technical problem that whether the board has to come under the ministry of agriculture or commerce.State proposal was for ministry of commerce. CM said that problem will be solved soon.
Reghu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #7169
Reghu
Kollam Rising
 
Reghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quilon (Kollam)/Bangalore
Posts: 7,278
Likes (Received): 2034

Kerala Budget 2013 - Kollam-Kottappuram waterway will be completed this year

Rs 117.18 crore for Coastal Shipping and Inland Water Transport. The budget has an allocation of Rs 117.18 crore for coastal shipping and inland water transport sector. Of this, Rs 21.67 crore will be spent for the repair works of the existing water ways, clearing and renovation of the Kadinamkulam- Anchuthengu stretch of T S Canal, Varkala tunnel and Kollam Thodu. Rs 5 crore has been earmarked for constructing six bridges and 50 foot over bridges across Vadakara-Mahi canal. Kollam-Kottappuram waterway will be completed this year. Kollam Thodu between Ashatmudi backwaters and Paravur backwaters will be renovated.

Source - New Indian Express
Reghu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #7170
Reghu
Kollam Rising
 
Reghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quilon (Kollam)/Bangalore
Posts: 7,278
Likes (Received): 2034

Kollam will get a state medical college if 20 acres of land is found: Minister Siva Kumar

As part of the central government plan to start medical colleges in all district HQs, minister Siva Kumar said Kollam district hospital will be upgraded to a state medical college if 20 acres of land is found in the city. As part of the process, the district hospital will be elevated to a General Hospital soon.

Infact, Kollam is a city without any state medical college or a state General Hospital.

Reghu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #7171
psanthosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,749
Likes (Received): 186

Where is the land for this? They should take the land from Parvathy Mills only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reghu View Post
As part of the central government plan to start medical colleges in all district HQs, minister Siva Kumar said Kollam district hospital will be upgraded to a state medical college if 20 acres of land is found in the city. As part of the process, the district hospital will be elevated to a General Hospital soon.

Infact, Kollam is a city without any state medical college or a state General Hospital.

psanthosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #7172
Reghu
Kollam Rising
 
Reghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quilon (Kollam)/Bangalore
Posts: 7,278
Likes (Received): 2034

That is the best idea currently to get a medical college as the Parvathy mills compund is just 250 metres away from the current District Hospital though I would like the medical college at Kollam Bypass side. I assume Parvathy mills may have more than 20 acres in their credit.

Yes...a majestic Medical college can be started at this location with a NH frontage that has Waterway connectivity on one side with the KSRTC Bus station, Railway station within half a KM distance.

But who will bell the cat here. This land is a prime land in the city owned by a centre government company. Would it be another laybrinth to procure this land from them just like the Underpass issue with Railways that is still prolonging?

I think some protest will come up from the trade unions as well.

Elected reperesentatives from the district and the city should have a detailed discussion in this regard and come up with a solution what is suitable in the Paravathy Mills compound. Otherwise, 20 acres should be found at the Kollam Bypass location. But here land aquisition will be required.

Though, a medical college is a need at the city centre, from a future perspective it would be ideal to have it at the Kollam Bypass for the interest of the people coming to the hospital from the corners of the district as accessibilty will be better in future with a comfortable traffic zone. The city centre will be choked with traffic and a medical college at the core city will add more traffic. Infact the current district hospital must be made a General Hospital and a comprehensive new medical college should come up at the Kollam Byapss location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psanthosh View Post
Where is the land for this? They should take the land from Parvathy Mills only..
Reghu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #7173
Reghu
Kollam Rising
 
Reghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quilon (Kollam)/Bangalore
Posts: 7,278
Likes (Received): 2034

What about our 4-laning of our city roads like Chinnakkada - Karicode stretch, Taluk Office - Shakthi Kulangara stretch, Kappalandimukku - Thattamala stretch. These are the importnt city roads that are part of NH but are 2 lanes. It is pathetic that these roads are not widened especially when Kollam is a corporation and is the 4th largest city based on population.

Infact most of the other city corporation roads are widened these days. I can see most of the city roads in Trissur are 4-laned or being 4-laned by the corporation despite the fact land price is very high in Trissur.

What is our corporation doing in this regard? There are not even widening the road to an extra metre also? The only road widening project that happened in the recent years is the Kappalandimukku - Ashramam. The widening happend only at the Ashramam stretch in this road as they acquired free land of the Ashramam maidan border?

Our authorities and corporation should wake up now...they should visit the other corporations and learn how to implements the road development projects. Morover, the government is not giving due attention for the relatively new municiapl corporations such as Kollam and Trissur. They should treat these cities also in the lines of the big 2 or 3. Development of Kollam and Trissur will not help the cities alone but the district and the neigbouring districts also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffin quilonklm View Post
think so kollam bypass got some funds ...... i was expecting low floor buses
Reghu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #7174
psanthosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,749
Likes (Received): 186

You are going away from the basic idea. The Govt idea is to convert the existing Dist Hospital to a General Hospital and then that General Hospital to a Medical College. The intention is not to setup a new Medical College in Kollam. New medical college will be very expensive compared to convert the current one to a medical college.

It may take years to convert it and by that time Govt can get the land from Parvathy Mills.

Another option is to move the KSRTC stand to Railway station area and use the current KSRTC Bus stand area for Medical College.

The medical college better to be in the city center because of the better transportation..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reghu View Post
That is the best idea currently to get a medical college as the Parvathy mills compund is just 250 metres away from the current District Hospital though I would like the medical college at Kollam Bypass side. I assume Parvathy mills may have more than 20 acres in their credit.

Yes...a majestic Medical college can be started at this location with a NH frontage that has Waterway connectivity on one side with the KSRTC Bus station, Railway station within half a KM distance.

But who will bell the cat here. This land is a prime land in the city owned by a centre government company. Would it be another laybrinth to procure this land from them just like the Underpass issue with Railways that is still prolonging?

I think some protest will come up from the trade unions as well.

Elected reperesentatives from the district and the city should have a detailed discussion in this regard and come up with a solution what is suitable in the Paravathy Mills compound. Otherwise, 20 acres should be found at the Kollam Bypass location. But here land aquisition will be required.

Though, a medical college is a need at the city centre, from a future perspective it would be ideal to have it at the Kollam Bypass for the interest of the people coming to the hospital from the corners of the district as accessibilty will be better in future with a comfortable traffic zone. The city centre will be choked with traffic and a medical college at the core city will add more traffic. Infact the current district hospital must be made a General Hospital and a comprehensive new medical college should come up at the Kollam Byapss location.
psanthosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #7175
Reghu
Kollam Rising
 
Reghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quilon (Kollam)/Bangalore
Posts: 7,278
Likes (Received): 2034

Santosh, I agree with your points. "New medical college will be very expensive compared to convert the current one to a medical college."

But "Money Sir" (Mani) has already proposed another new state government medical college at TVM when already a big one is there. Infact, he should have proposed the new medical college at Kollam if the need was to decongest the existing medical college in TVM. Thousands of Kollamaites are depending the current TVM medical college travelling 70 to 80 Kms making the Ulloor region a traffic congested zone.

What is the differnce regarding cost if a new medical college is proposed in Kollam or TVM? Infact, the cost may be less if it is proposed in Kollam.

My point is not for argument but the step motherly attitude by the government towards Kollam which does not have any major state government hospitals except the so called district hospital which is struggling to breather in the space crunched city centre. Those cities having state medical colleges also have General Hospitals already.

Kollam does not even have a General Hospital when it is the 4th largest city regarding population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psanthosh View Post
You are going away from the basic idea. The Govt idea is to convert the existing Dist Hospital to a General Hospital and then that General Hospital to a Medical College. The intention is not to setup a new Medical College in Kollam. New medical college will be very expensive compared to convert the current one to a medical college.

It may take years to convert it and by that time Govt can get the land from Parvathy Mills.

Another option is to move the KSRTC stand to Railway station area and use the current KSRTC Bus stand area for Medical College.

The medical college better to be in the city center because of the better transportation..
Reghu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #7176
dilmohanklm
JONY DILLU
 
dilmohanklm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kollam (Quilon) / Dubai
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 381

+100
dilmohanklm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #7177
dilmohanklm
JONY DILLU
 
dilmohanklm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kollam (Quilon) / Dubai
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 381

Oil Gas and mines institute in Kollam by Dr. Ravi Pillai

Oil and gas training chance for Bahrainis

PEOPLE from Bahrain are being encouraged to take advantage of specialised oil and gas industry training in Kerala, India.

Bahrain-based Indian businessman Dr Ravi Pillai, whose $15 million Oil Gas and Mines Institute goes on-stream in Kollam next month, said such opportunities were only available at select locations around the world.

"Since Bahrain has such a highly-developed oil and gas sector, it needs more and more professionals to manage it," he said.

"The new institute provides an excellent opportunity to receive expertise."

The institute, set up in collaboration with an Australian body, aims to attract students from around the world.

"It is a not-for-profit facility where the fee will be a bare minimum and any profits that may come up will be only for charity."

Dr Pillai said Bahrain had placed a lot of trust in the ability of the Indian economy.

"The economy is growing very rapidly and it is only appropriate that Bahraini businesses be part of that growth," he said.

"Kerala promises to be a large part of that growth and the visit of His Royal Highness the Crown Prince is testimony to the fact that Bahrain attaches a lot of importance to India."

Dr Pillai said many businesses from Bahrain were keen to invest in Kerala and the state government was serious about providing an appropriate investment climate.

"This visit will certainly spur ties and take the relations between the two countries to a whole new level," he added.

Source: Gulf News

__________________

NANDAKUMAR KOLLAM liked this post
dilmohanklm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #7178
dilmohanklm
JONY DILLU
 
dilmohanklm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kollam (Quilon) / Dubai
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 381

Guys, anyone got any idea about the location of the institute???

And its a huge amount, which comes around Rs 75 Crores. Nice to see many institutes of national grades coming up in and around Kollam

Last edited by dilmohanklm; March 17th, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
dilmohanklm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #7179
Reghu
Kollam Rising
 
Reghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quilon (Kollam)/Bangalore
Posts: 7,278
Likes (Received): 2034

I assume but not sure it may be at Chavara industrial belt. Does it require a port proximity?

Chavara is a better place for this kind of an institute. Already 2 or 3 state level institutes are on the lines in the Chavara - Neendakara coastal industrial belt. Anyway great news for Kollam as an International Institute coming up in Kollam.

Ravi Pillai yet again showed his interest for Kollam ...defintely Kollam expects more and more bigger projects from him. Let the other NRI business magnates follow his suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilmohanklm View Post
Guys, anyone got any idea about the location of the institute???
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilmohanklm View Post
Bahrain-based Indian businessman Dr Ravi Pillai, whose $15 million Oil Gas and Mines Institute goes on-stream in Kollam next month, said such opportunities were only available at select locations around the world.

"The new institute provides an excellent opportunity to receive expertise."

The institute, set up in collaboration with an Australian body, aims to attract students from around the world.


Source: Gulf News


Last edited by Reghu; March 17th, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Reghu está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #7180
dilmohanklm
JONY DILLU
 
dilmohanklm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kollam (Quilon) / Dubai
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 381

Fisheries sector gets 157 crore

Mani said Rs 100 crore has been set apart to set up 50 modern fish markets and also to establish fish malls in Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi and Kozhikode. |PTI
Announcing a set of flagship schemes for the welfare of fishermen, Finance Minister K M Mani has allocated Rs 157.8 crore for the fisheries sector in the budget 2013-14.

The budget proposes the introduction of ‘Marine Ambulances’ at Vizhinjam, Neendakara, Vypin, Beypore and Azhikal for providing emergency help in case of accidents.

An amount of Rs 3 crore has been earmarked for this. Mani said Rs 100 crore has been set apart to set up 50 modern fish markets and also to establish fish malls in Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi and Kozhikode. The malls that will be set up through the Kerala State Coastal Development Corporation have been allotted Rs 10 crore.

The Finance Minister also proposed setting up of a sophisticated ice and freezing plant at Sakthikulangara in Kollam. He said that the plant would be set up with 90 per cent financial assistance of NFDB. An amount of Rs 3 crore has been earmarked for setting up this 60 tonne processing plant.

Once the plant is completely commissioned, it would provide direct employment to about 200 persons and indirect employment to 500 another persons, he said.

There is a proposal to set up 10 fish processing centres, where fish will be processed to ready-to-cook form and made available in retail sales counters or in fish markets.

An amount of Rs 10 crore has been allotted for this. The centres would come in coastal districts, the Finance Minister said.

Source: Indian Express
dilmohanklm no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu