daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Torre Agbar, Barcelona 82 33.88%
30 St Mary Axe (Swiss Re), London 160 66.12%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 18th, 2005, 03:50 AM   #21
Quente
Alß-lß-˘, ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘ ˘

Likes (Received): 14

I have to say that I like them both.

Two questions about Agbar:

1. I'm assuming those photos of Agbar in the background framed by the towers of Sagrada Familia were not manipulated in Photoshop, right?

2. Is the shape of Agbar based on Gaudi's vision of Sagrada Familia, which as I recall from the drawings that I've seen, included a huge elliptical-shaped tower above the the sanctuary? If so, then I appreciate Nouvel's design even more because it essentially completes Gaudi's century-long project.

Kent
Quente no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #22
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12191

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatADAM
Agbar is by far the better in many respects. It doesn't matter which was built first....so is every box skyscraper built in the last 100+ years a poor imitation of the original with nothing to offer itself?
????!!! I didn't say either was a poor imitation of the original, with nothing
to offer itself. YOU said that, my friend! LOL!
It is well known which was built first, I simply asked who came up with
the idea first. I was not expecting your reaction...
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #23
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Swiss Re is more 'clean' looking but Agbar is sexy at night.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #24
Hush
Sempre BCN

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quente
I have to say that I like them both.

1. I'm assuming those photos of Agbar in the background framed by the towers of Sagrada Familia were not manipulated in Photoshop, right?

Look at thic pic, as you can see, the Agbar tower is located once again between the towers of la Sagrada Famila, i's a little bit dark, but its easy to check it.
Hush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #25
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Swiss Re is more elegantly curved. Agbar is a giant ***** - althoug looking good at night.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #26
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Seems to be the common theme that most people accept that Swiss Re is the more aesthetically pleasing but that, at night and only really because of the lighting, Agbar also looks good.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #27
easysurfer

Maybe swiss re should install some more intense, dramatic lighting in vibrant colours. It would then wipe the floor with agbar both in the day and at night. Seems like the people in barcelona spent most of the money on the lighting and forgot about the facade- it's looks ugly during the day. Swiss re definitely wins overall.
easysurfer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #28
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Here is one very impressive pic of st mary axe, too bad it┤s so small..

Mr Bricks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #29
Bitxofo
íViva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3527

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
Well, I'm quite impressed by the night lighting of Torre Agbar, but during the day I think it looks horrible. The cladding looks messy, it's too opaque, and the shape is too phallic. I don't think it suits Barcelona very well.

SwissRe, however, is a stunning iconic tower that has transformed London's image and become a symbol of the 21st century. It has captured the public's attention like no other building, and really got people talking about architecture. I love how it contrasts with T42, and the "dialogue" formed between the two towers. I also love how it seems to appear out of nowhere from so many different views across the city. In fact, it was the building that first got me interested in skyscrapers.
@wjfox2002:
You are a bit chauvinistic...
And Agbar tower is NOT horrible, this is just your opinion!

You are a moderator and you should be more respectful with your comments, please.

And one small correction:
Agbar is 144.44 metres high, not 142 m.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allÝ. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #30
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitxofo
@wjfox2002:
You are a bit chauvinistic...

You are a moderator and you should be more respectful with your comments, please.
There is nothing wrong or offensive about what I said. I think my comments are fair.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #31
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitxofo
Umm....to be fair, this is what wjfox wrote: "during the day I think it looks horrible".

Which means that he was only expressing his opinion and your post was therefore needless.

Besides, it seems to me that quite a few on this thread have said the same thing: that Torre Agbar looks good at night (because of the lighting) but not so good by day. So many people share wjfox's opinion. Including me.

I have to say that, by day, Torre Agbar looks like nothing more to me than a tube with and upturned glass on top. I think it is featureless and ugly and I agree with wjfox that its dulled surface reflections by day add to its plain impression.

No offence to Barcelona, of course, which I think is a wonderful city.
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #32
wjfox
Futurist

Exactly... I never said Barcelona was a bad city, I was only commenting on the tower.
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #33
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

London has more respect and class than to light up its tower in tacky neon colours every night. Im sorry but Torre agbar is what it is, an awful design. Look at the way it meets the ground..Its entrance..

They say that swiss re is phallic, but it is nowhere near as phallic as torre agbar.
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #34
Bitxofo
íViva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3527

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith
London has more respect and class than to light up its tower in tacky neon colours every night. Im sorry but Torre agbar is what it is, an awful design. Look at the way it meets the ground..Its entrance..

They say that swiss re is phallic, but it is nowhere near as phallic as torre agbar.

Just your opinion, no offence needed.

We should not count the votes from Londoners and Barcelonians.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allÝ. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #35
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

yes it was my opinion wasnt it, im not bothering to dress up my words, just being frank.
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #36
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith
London has more respect and class than to light up its tower in tacky neon colours every night.
Steady on! Let's not turn this into a Barcelona v London row. I'm a Londoner but I can readily concede that London is perfectly capable of coming up with terrible ideas and constructing awful buildings. London is no stranger to all things tacky and low class.

So how about we just keep this thread to a discussion about Torre Agbar and Swiss Re?
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #37
ESSEXgeezer
///////////////

For me, no contest. not even close. Swiss re's lines work beautifully, whilst torres lines look laboured in contrast. Swiss's glazing only heightens the shape, whilst torres glazing does it no favours. However the lighting effect at night is interesting.

Ontop of all of this is tho is the fact swiss re is that shape for a reason, isnt torres just a poor immitation?
ESSEXgeezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #38
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quente
2. Is the shape of Agbar based on Gaudi's vision of Sagrada Familia, which as I recall from the drawings that I've seen, included a huge elliptical-shaped tower above the the sanctuary? If so, then I appreciate Nouvel's design even more because it essentially completes Gaudi's century-long project.
Totally right, also reminds and it's inspired in another Catalan symbol, Montserrat Mountains:
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #39
GlobalJoe
Above the clouds

Likes (Received): 3

I much prefer Agbar tower, Swiss re looks tacky with those awful swirls, it reminds me of a Faberge egg. Agbar emerges like a geiser and its lighting is simply out of this world.
GlobalJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #40
wjfox
Futurist

Tacky??

Lol.

Well, this 'tacky' building has won several major awards including the RIBA Stirling Prize (one of the most prestigious architectural awards on the planet). It's also been voted the Best European Skyscraper by SSC forumers, and the Best Skyscraper of 2003 by Emporis.com.

You're in the minority if you hate this building. There are some people who, unfortunately, just don't seem to "get" SwissRe. The overwhelming majority, though, can appreciate the amazing design of this building and the way it's revolutionised London's skyline.