daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2007, 08:31 AM   #381
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

wtf? ****** is now censored?
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM   #382
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12191

hmmm... I thought it was 'ground' that was being censored, !
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM   #383
sudburyboy

Likes (Received): 0

must be some sort of apri1 foo11s joke
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:16 AM   #384
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

Stupid jokes
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:03 AM   #385
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

All in favour of tall, but these buildings are a disaster for Toronto. They are suburban towers in an urban setting. The downtown city grid has been comprimised, the buildings are set back massively from the sidewalk, alot of them are gated, and they are all practically identical glass boxes.

Toronto had the opportunity to create a grand central core. When this development is complete, it will be a vertical gated community that is completely deserted. There will be little street life or energy in this area. It even runs the risk of becoming another St. James Town ghetto 20 years from now.

It will be a suburban wasteland accessible only by car. What a mess!!! The developers don't care, they won't be the ones living down there.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:11 AM   #386
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
All in favour of tall, but these buildings are a disaster for Toronto. They are suburban towers in an urban setting. The downtown city grid has been comprimised, the buildings are set back massively from the sidewalk, alot of them are gated, and they are all practically identical glass boxes.

Toronto had the opportunity to create a grand central core. When this development is complete, it will be a vertical gated community that is completely deserted. There will be little street life or energy in this area. It even runs the risk of becoming another St. James Town ghetto 20 years from now.

It will be a suburban wasteland accessible only by car. What a mess!!! The developers don't care, they won't be the ones living down there.
man, you need some rest...

it's not done yet, you're being really negative, and the density and location suggests that the area will be lively and "energetic" and not a suburban wasteland....the location is far too prime.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM   #387
isaidso
the new republic

yin yang: I admit that I am very demanding. I heap praise on developments that deserve it. This development does not.

I am not a pessimist, but have closely noted how these buildings meet the street, and what type of streetscapes are being constructed. The plans leave very little opportunity for infill and the maturation into a vibrant urban streetscape. Look at the area around WaterPark 3. This is very representative of what this development will look like for about a kilometre.

Waterpark 3 is fine in a suburb, but permanently relegates the area to a sleepy, bland "no-go" area unless you live there. You may deem this satisfactory, but we can do much much better.

You say the location is far too prime. That is what I am upset over. Such a prime piece of real estate relegated to permanent suburban status.

As citizens of this city, we need to be very demanding, if we are to build something special. 20 towers for the sake of having 20 towers is not good enough. This needs to be planned. There needs to be vision. This development is completely underwhelming.

I do welcome your thoughts on this.
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #388
sudburyboy

i think they royally Fu*ked up on city place, the buildings are in massive lots, they arent meeting the street at all, theres no space left for infill, the place looks like something we will look back on and say wtf were we smoking. i hope that im wrong, i hope that somehow some infil gets built and the area becomes dense and vibrant, but somehow the towers's positioning leaves barely any space for anything at all, after saying that, who hangs arround a neighbourhood with absolutely nothing in it? ... no one, which is exactly what will appen here. the developpers should have left room for improvement rather than take up asmuch space in the lot so nothing else fits. so i totally agree with isaidso, but i hope were wrong.
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #389
Dino Domingo
Canadiense

Likes (Received): 19

I don't know what y'all are bitchin' about.

First off, ain't no way those towers are becoming no St. Jamestown. They are condos, they are close to the waterfront, and in downtown Toronto. There are already businesses takin' up res at the base of the buildings, and not just banks, we're talkin' bout restaurants and bars. These buildings have views of the lake AND the city skyline. They are surrounded by both the Financial and Entertainment Districts, with the Rogers (Skydome) Centre, CN Tower, and Air Canada Centre all within blocks of each other. The construction of other towers all around it, such as Maple Leaf Square and the Telus Tower will also increase the value of these properties. All this and I haven't even mentioned the revitaization of the waterfront! Within a few years the city's edge will be vibrantly connected to the city's core, and numerous lakeside projects will be well underway.

Now'd be a good time to stop smokin' that chronic, boy.
Dino Domingo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #390
sloid

Likes (Received): 4

our family friend lives on one of the units in optima i think and although space is really small, it's really nice and we often go there to go swimming! nice pool!

i seriously wanna buy a unit!
sloid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #391
sudburyboy

im not disputing that its probably a great place to live for the people living there, but no one else will ever go there for a stroll, its got nothing there., my main issue is the lack of room for infill.
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #392
isaidso
the new republic

Just because something has scale and is new does not make it good design. Just walk on those sidewalks infront of WaterPark 3, then along an urban streetscape that works: try Yonge from Front to Dundas, or Bay from King to Queen. The urban setting is vibrant, engaging, and pedestrian friendly. CityPlace will never be. It's design dictates no infilling. They all have 'grounds' around them. Don't try and convince us that you can put an office tower in these courtyards that project forward to meet the street!! You can't unless you tear the condo down because other wise you'd have to build a tower 4 feet in front of someone's living room window.

A bank, pub, or store in a condo base is a disaster! That's what Mississauga is for. Urban people live in urban areas to escape places like that.

Those two stretches of Bay and Yonge are pedestrian friendly, the buildings create an apron that meet the sidewalk uniformly at the same place, the street grid is intact, it's mixed use between commercial residential and retail.

CityPlace may be new and look nice from Centre Island, but what person who doesn't live there is ever going to go hang out there? No one will go there.

Urban streetscapes do not make the pedestrian leave the sidewalk to venture towards a condo tower base as you put it. That is suburban design. Urban people hate suburbia because of design like that. It is underwhelming, creates no vibrancy, energy on the street, and kills an urban area.

Dino: do you not see these things? City Place is as offensive to urbanites as closing all streets in Mississauga to cars and making them giant sidewalks would be to a suburbanite.
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #393
isaidso
the new republic

Sloid: of course you want to buy a unit. You are from suburbia. CityPlace is a suburban development. You may love it, but it is any urban persons worst nightmare.
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #394
SYDNEYAHOLIC

Likes (Received): 7

Based upon viewing the pics this development looks like a soulless, monotonous skyscraper suburbia. This is a wasted opportunity for Toronto though it certainly has added to the Toronto skyline in an area where it was definitely needed in order to make the CN Tower fit in better.

Just an outsiders summed up view...
SYDNEYAHOLIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #395
isaidso
the new republic

Question? What process do large scale developments go through in Sydney? Despite some great development successes in Toronto lately, the system here is broken. Decisions for the urban core are being made by rural and suburban people who don't understand urban planning or the dynamics of urban areas. There have been severe height restrictions for years for the simple reason that these people think anything over 20 floors is just way too tall.

Sapphire had a good 500 feet lopped off it, before it was approved, and it's smack dab in the middle of the financial district.
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #396
G_DOG

Likes (Received): 1

i think people will have lots to do once the park is completed,i know the rendering is not that good but if you read the info you will see my point.btw crane for n is bieng taken down today.
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #397
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12191

This type of very high density condominium development is new to Toronto, and frightens a surprising number of people. I have no desire to live down there, but people in large cities have had this type of thing for years and it is second nature to them. A lot of the people buying here will be coming from places like Hong Kong, and they will fit in very comfortably..
Is the project well designed? Could be better, but good grief it is only partially completed, and under construction. Is it souless? Ludicrous statement for something that is just being built. We won't know anything about it til it is complete. Surprisingly people of Vancouver had no difficulty adapting to a similar type of high density development without nearly as much fear as I have seen in these threads.

Quote:
Question? What process do large scale developments go through in Sydney?.
I don't think there is even close to an equivilent of this in Sydney. The construction and activity situation in both cities is quite different and I do hope this doesn't become a Toronto vs Sydney thread.
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #398
Dino Domingo
Canadiense

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Just because something has scale and is new does not make it good design. Just walk on those sidewalks infront of WaterPark 3, then along an urban streetscape that works: try Yonge from Front to Dundas, or Bay from King to Queen. The urban setting is vibrant, engaging, and pedestrian friendly. CityPlace will never be. It's design dictates no infilling. They all have 'grounds' around them. Don't try and convince us that you can put an office tower in these courtyards that project forward to meet the street!! You can't unless you tear the condo down because other wise you'd have to build a tower 4 feet in front of someone's living room window.
You are totally clueless. People WILL be going in and out, around and about, up and down, and round and round this place, because of everything surrounding it. All o the attractions that I mentioned - Cityplace is smackdab in the middle.

Quote:
A bank, pub, or store in a condo base is a disaster! That's what Mississauga is for. Urban people live in urban areas to escape places like that.
No. The idea of putting a bar, pub or restaurant is genius in this area because when a game is over at either the Rogers Centre or the ACC people can walk over and have a bite. They can grab a drink or hell, even watch a game from the pub!

Quote:
Those two stretches of Bay and Yonge are pedestrian friendly, the buildings create an apron that meet the sidewalk uniformly at the same place, the street grid is intact, it's mixed use between commercial residential and retail.
Yeah, and your point? Mixed use is a good thing. People can live, work and shop there. All good things in any neighbourhood.

Quote:
CityPlace may be new and look nice from Centre Island, but what person who doesn't live there is ever going to go hang out there? No one will go there.
Have you never walked down to the waterfront before?? There are a number of ways to get there and many people tend to walk around all the other buildings to get there! There are a number of new ideas in development to put alongside the city's edge - including all those trees, joggin/skating lanes, and the waterfront revitalization designs. Give it time! F--k! And you made another case for this neighourhood by mentioning how good it will look from the Islands too.

Quote:
Urban streetscapes do not make the pedestrian leave the sidewalk to venture towards a condo tower base as you put it.
Those businesses can be for people walking by or for the residents of the buildings. Just like on any street, if you are hungry and you see a restaurant you'll go in. If you see something in a window you want to buy, you'll go in. If you need cash you'll go to the bank!

Quote:
That is suburban design. Urban people hate suburbia because of design like that. It is underwhelming, creates no vibrancy, energy on the street, and kills an urban area.
I live, work, and workout downtown and I love it, but I don't hate the suburbs. When I lived in the suburbs I didn't hate the city. I grew up in the burbs and there are a lot of things I love about it. Do not preach about what people like and don't like - you are making one hell of an assumption. What is your hang up with it lacking vibrancy and energy? The damn project isn't even finished yet! In the winter when it's cold and there's snow of course it's gonna seem dead. Now think about summer time --- big difference. Plus, they still have to build the park - which will draw people from all over the city; and if they build it as proposed it'll be useful in the winter for tobaggoning too.

Quote:
Dino: do you not see these things? City Place is as offensive to urbanites as closing all streets in Mississauga to cars and making them giant sidewalks would be to a suburbanite.
I see Cityplace as a residential neighbourhood. It's a place where people will live, and in truth play, cuz they will have a park, a waterfront and prominent attractions all around them. You are here bitching about how it isn't this and it isn't that. Take it for what it is, and quit your hating already.
Dino Domingo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #399
InTheBeach
Indie Bean

Likes (Received): 24

Let's face it: the place sucks.
Before the building fell
And every lightning rod
Has got to watch the storm cloud come.

- Us Ones In Between, Sunset Rubdown
InTheBeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #400
leaf345

Likes (Received): 2

I think its a great residential neighbourhood. Decent looking condos right downtown, and not insanely expensive either.
leaf345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
cityplace, cityplace development, toronto