daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #2041
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Sorry for such a pedantic question, but are most of the freight lines electrified over there, or are the locomotives mostly diesel like over here?
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #2042
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Surely you touch out at DLR stations?
But then i'd be touching in twice and touching out once!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #2043
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

Tubeman i want to ask you a few things

1. what is your favorite and best Main British rail services the current ones i mean like for Example: GNER, East Midlands Trains, Southwestern trains, Southeastern, Southern, ONE, C2C, London Midland, First Great Western just to name a few??? and why?

2. what is your worst or most hatered Main British Rail services the current ones an example i described above? and why???

3. so is the London Overground like the S-bahn in Berlin because i am starting to see a resemblence and have you ridden on it tubeman or anybody?? is it better then Silverlink Rail Services??? or worse?

oh man i am sorry about the London Overground people umm its because somebody got angry with me about it but honeslty i don't live in britain and well i know i am probably asking so many questions oh man i am sorry
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #2044
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

@Songoten2554,

Since you are interested in UK and London rail, I thought you should check out this thread below. Especially the last page, as it shows loads of London stations and how they will be renovated.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=536824&page=3
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #2045
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Sorry for such a pedantic question, but are most of the freight lines electrified over there, or are the locomotives mostly diesel like over here?
ADCS. Its probably better discussing this on the separate railways forum as this is dedicated to subways and underground systems.

To answer your question though, we don't have that many freight only lines as most lines are mixed freight and passenger. Even the new Channel Tunnel rail link is designed for mixed traffic.

Where we do have freight only lines, these will almost all be diesel hauled. In fact, only some 25% of the British railway network is electrified and these consist of the main East and West Coast Main Lines, the lines to East Anglia and some of the commuter lines into major cities. Freight will be electrically hauled over long distances but diesels do operate under the wires where it is more operationally convenient to do so.
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #2046
sotonsi

Quote:
Bromley North is far preferable to Hayes in my opinion: it currently has a shit shuttle service so being the end of the Bakerloo Line would add value as opposed to detracting from it.
yes, that's by far the ideal place to end the Bakerloo line beyond Peckham (which would be phase 1 or something).

The only problem is that it doesn't solve the Lewisham bottleneck (which is what they are trying to do with Hayes, at a guess). However if coupled with a low-level station at Lewisham then we will be able to relieve the bottleneck there (hopefully), without too much extra tunneling (a mile, though also the expensive platforms). Also would then be possible for Cross-platform interchange between the Charing Cross/Cannon Street - Hayes/Sevenoaks/Orpington/Dartford via Sidcup services and the Bakerloo.

The two disused platforms could be used to terminate all the via Nunhead trains, thus also allowing extra capacity on the route (given space at Blackfriars or Victoria). Perhaps terminate the diverted SLL there.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #2047
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Not pedantic at all! Martin S answers this question perfectly well above
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #2048
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
But then i'd be touching in twice and touching out once!
Why would you be touching in twice?
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #2049
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
Tubeman i want to ask you a few things

1. what is your favorite and best Main British rail services the current ones i mean like for Example: GNER, East Midlands Trains, Southwestern trains, Southeastern, Southern, ONE, C2C, London Midland, First Great Western just to name a few??? and why?
I like SWT... I love the new stock and the refurbs of the older stock is good. It's a pleasure to watch the manic traffic in and out of Waterloo, it all seems pretty well managed and the company is held in pretty high esteem by its customers.

Quote:
2. what is your worst or most hatered Main British Rail services the current ones an example i described above? and why???
First Capital Connect (formerly Thameslink)... It just looks messy with some stock still in Thameslink livery with the name blanked out, some in FCC livery, and some Southern livery stock borrowed from them. Unrefurbished trains are grotty and tatty inside. The service is grossly overcrowded and too slow through central London.

Quote:
3. so is the London Overground like the S-bahn in Berlin because i am starting to see a resemblence and have you ridden on it tubeman or anybody?? is it better then Silverlink Rail Services??? or worse?
I think the S-Bahn is more like the RER or Thameslink: suburban heavy rail linked by tunnels under the city. In a slightly different (and better) league to LOROL / Silverlink services, which are strictly orbital bar the slow Watford DC lines into Euston which I wouldn't call rapid transit (and definitely not frequent with 3 tph). I've been on the U-bahn but not the S-bahn.

Quote:
oh man i am sorry about the London Overground people umm its because somebody got angry with me about it but honeslty i don't live in britain and well i know i am probably asking so many questions oh man i am sorry
LOL don't apologise. I think it's cool that someone in Florida takes such an interest in our railways
Old November 17th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #2050
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
ADCS. Its probably better discussing this on the separate railways forum as this is dedicated to subways and underground systems.

To answer your question though, we don't have that many freight only lines as most lines are mixed freight and passenger. Even the new Channel Tunnel rail link is designed for mixed traffic.

Where we do have freight only lines, these will almost all be diesel hauled. In fact, only some 25% of the British railway network is electrified and these consist of the main East and West Coast Main Lines, the lines to East Anglia and some of the commuter lines into major cities. Freight will be electrically hauled over long distances but diesels do operate under the wires where it is more operationally convenient to do so.
Understood. Just wanted to pick the expert's brain, so to speak. Thanks for the thoughtful and developed answer.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #2051
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
I like SWT... I love the new stock and the refurbs of the older stock is good. It's a pleasure to watch the manic traffic in and out of Waterloo, it all seems pretty well managed and the company is held in pretty high esteem by its customers.
SWT's chairman is a bigot. He funded a campaign in Scotland to try to stop the equivalent of the repulsionn of Section 28 there.

I agree SWT have done great - but the problem with a private company with no competitors is that customers cannot make a moral choice about whom they travel with. Except when their trains enter Richmond/wimbledon of course. All of a sudden their fares per mile become much cheaper - wonder why!
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #2052
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
First Capital Connect (formerly Thameslink)... It just looks messy with some stock still in Thameslink livery with the name blanked out, some in FCC livery, and some Southern livery stock borrowed from them. Unrefurbished trains are grotty and tatty inside. The service is grossly overcrowded and too slow through central London.
Not only is it slow, it is never on time and the frequencies are grossly inadequate on the Sutton loop. Why they get to run this route I dont know - particularly when you consider Thamelink 2000 has no benefit to commuters on this route.

Turn it in to LO (London Overground!) line I say!
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #2053
Songoten2554

Tubeman: there is alot of things i like in life maybe i see life in a postive manner or maybe its my interest to explore and travel??? also do many things i like and have a career and have a great and wonderful wife and have great kids someday

i don't know i been wanting to explore and do many things maybe thats how i look at it

as for the British railways i do have a deep respect for them as your country has one of the first and oldest Established Modern Railway systems in the world and i do have a deep respect for that for Railways as in this topic as well

also for London i understand that they were one of the first to have a Metro style Railway system in the world and that is the London Underground and that goes deep in London history and London wouldn't have been and is one of the biggest Cities in the world without the London Underground so i do give London a thumbs up for being innovated at the time

and with that alot of Nations around the world at least have influanced them to do the same build Railways
Old November 17th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #2054
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Last edited by bigbossman; July 4th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #2055
Songoten2554

oh man i am sorry then i am mistaken i thought britain was one of the first but thank you for correcting me i am wrong
Old November 17th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #2056
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Why is everyone so hard on Songoten2554?
Old November 17th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #2057
Songoten2554

thats the thing that i want to know

Last edited by Songoten2554; November 17th, 2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #2058
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Why is everyone so hard on Songoten2554?
I'm not! I applaud his enthusiasm

Yeah lay off him chaps, I'm sure he won't mind it if I say he doesn't come across as the most mature-posting member of ssc, but if I start a thread asking for questions, I don't mind who asks me what or how they ask me it.
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #2059
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
Not only is it slow, it is never on time and the frequencies are grossly inadequate on the Sutton loop. Why they get to run this route I dont know - particularly when you consider Thamelink 2000 has no benefit to commuters on this route.

Turn it in to LO (London Overground!) line I say!
Yes the Sutton loop is a joke... I visited friends in Sutton a few weeks ago and discovered there's no FCC trains after about 20:00!
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #2060
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
yes, that's by far the ideal place to end the Bakerloo line beyond Peckham (which would be phase 1 or something).

The only problem is that it doesn't solve the Lewisham bottleneck (which is what they are trying to do with Hayes, at a guess). However if coupled with a low-level station at Lewisham then we will be able to relieve the bottleneck there (hopefully), without too much extra tunneling (a mile, though also the expensive platforms). Also would then be possible for Cross-platform interchange between the Charing Cross/Cannon Street - Hayes/Sevenoaks/Orpington/Dartford via Sidcup services and the Bakerloo.

The two disused platforms could be used to terminate all the via Nunhead trains, thus also allowing extra capacity on the route (given space at Blackfriars or Victoria). Perhaps terminate the diverted SLL there.
Did you draw that diagram? I'm impressed!

Tags
london, railways, tube