daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 05:58 PM   #2081
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

cheers tubeman

- i think they should just abolish the circle. and re-combine the met and hammersmith and city and run them all to terminate at aldgate, then if possible a tunnel from aldgate, calling at tower hill, bermondsey, new cross, lewisham (cross platform with a possible bakerloo extension to bromley north/south), then take over the hayes branch, who wouldn't lose there direct city route and would still have big trains too, with a much more frequent service.
- then with no circle or hammersmith and city interfering with the district, you could run more district trains down the south half of the "circle" (8tph) and run more trains to barking aka the ones which currently terminate at tower hill and the trains that would replace the circle, as there would be no more flat junctions around aldgate. you could also increase the wimbleware trains by 8tph maybe coz the ex circle line trains can be diverted to earls court rather than gloucester road. then you would have more trains running westbound allowing for increases on each of the branches. the only problem i can see is can earls court cope with more trains even if circle line trains are taken out of the equation??

what do you think of this idea, tubeman, it's workable as tunneling is only required if you decide to extend trains beyong aldgate?
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #2082
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Anyone hear me interviewed on BBC London radio 94.9 this morning?
Anyone got this on mp3 or recorded?
Old November 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #2083
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Anyone got this on mp3 or recorded?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainf...d/london.shtml

You need to go forward to 2h39m and again to 2h47m
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #2084
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainf...d/london.shtml

You need to go forward to 2h39m and again to 2h47m
Specifically the Breakfast show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo.../breakfast_fri
Nice to hear you tubeman!
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #2085
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemcbuller View Post
Specifically the Breakfast show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo.../breakfast_fri
Nice to hear you tubeman!
Oh cheers, was that the wrong link? I just copied and pasted what was in the address bar when it was playing back.
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #2086
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

hey tubeman what did you discussed there on the radio though did you meet famous people overthere
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #2087
Tubeman
Jubilation

I was called by the London Underground Press office to see if I wouldn't mind being a Tube staff member-come-expert as BBC London were broadcasting their morning show from the London Transport Museum (which has just re-opened after refurbishment). Didn't really know what I was letting myself in for, but agreed nevertheless. No-one famous, just standard radio bods.
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #2088
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

oh i thought you meet famous people like the rolling stones and such

but anyways BBC seems to be a great broadcasting network and they seem to mature and stuffs in what they do

i think the closest to BBC is CNN and NBC Universal is BBC going to put on the 2008 Olympic games

i know in the United States its NBC Universal and also for spanish i find out recently its Telemundo but anyways thanks Tubeman
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #2089
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Tubeman, thanks for the answers before, I didn't have time to thank you earlier, I was in Wales!

-Do you think it's sensible to get rid of the Uxbridge branch of the Piccadilly and transfer it to the Metropolitan, which can run an Earling Common - Uxbridge/Rayners Lane service... Ealing Common could be rebuilt for cross-platform interchange with a reversing siding to the south, isn't Ealing depot right beside the station? It's LU property so they wouldn't have any problems there! It would mean more trains on the Piccadilly, and more capacity on the District, this is particularly good in that the District/Piccadilly would no longer share tracks, they're going to be getting completely different ATO systems, it also means more trains for the Heathrow branch and a more predictable service for the Uxbridge branch.
-I heard that the Bakerloo used to operate with 34tph? And the District once operated 40tph! How were such high frequencies achieved?
-When I asked about the beeping noise on the lift, I meant the one that sounds as soon as the doors open, not just before it closes like on the trains, I still don't see what purpose it serves!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #2090
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Tubeman, thanks for the answers before, I didn't have time to thank you earlier, I was in Wales!

-Do you think it's sensible to get rid of the Uxbridge branch of the Piccadilly and transfer it to the Metropolitan, which can run an Earling Common - Uxbridge/Rayners Lane service... Ealing Common could be rebuilt for cross-platform interchange with a reversing siding to the south, isn't Ealing depot right beside the station? It's LU property so they wouldn't have any problems there! It would mean more trains on the Piccadilly, and more capacity on the District, this is particularly good in that the District/Piccadilly would no longer share tracks, they're going to be getting completely different ATO systems, it also means more trains for the Heathrow branch and a more predictable service for the Uxbridge branch.
Hmmm I don't know if the Rayners lane - Ealing Common section customers would appreciate losing direct trains to London. I'm all for total segregation between the District and Piccadilly. With a bit of remodelling west of Turnham Green we could have the Piccadilly going to Richmond and Heathrow and the District to Ealing and Uxbridge with no track sharing. I'd also have the Piccadilly stop at Turnham Green but not at Barons Court,

Quote:
-I heard that the Bakerloo used to operate with 34tph? And the District once operated 40tph! How were such high frequencies achieved?
Loads more signals, and loads of speed / approach controlled signals. The latter allow ATO-frequency services because they allow trains to get closer together if they're travelling slowly. A lot of signals were ripped out in the 1970's because Tube usership fell and more signals = more maintenance costs and more signal failures. Plus, if anything did go wrong you would get numerous trains stuck in section between stations.

Quote:
-When I asked about the beeping noise on the lift, I meant the one that sounds as soon as the doors open, not just before it closes like on the trains, I still don't see what purpose it serves!
Possibly to alert VIPs to which side the doors are opening on?
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #2091
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

Likes (Received): 3422

Well this thread is called ask the tubeman. so I'll ask a question.

A couple of times on the outer part of the metropolitan line I've noticed a crappy old diesel passenger train stop at my local station. The line's also used by national rail trains but I think it's driven by tube drivers because I see them walk in and out the cabin. The windows are bordered up and it's pretty bloody filthy.

Just wandering, what's it for?
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #2092
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

I've got a quick one, might be a rehash, but anyway... have you ever gotten stuck in a tunnel and had to evacuate the train? If so, what was it like? How did the passengers react?
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #2093
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentBjork View Post
Well this thread is called ask the tubeman. so I'll ask a question.

A couple of times on the outer part of the metropolitan line I've noticed a crappy old diesel passenger train stop at my local station. The line's also used by national rail trains but I think it's driven by tube drivers because I see them walk in and out the cabin. The windows are bordered up and it's pretty bloody filthy.

Just wandering, what's it for?
Probably a 'Sandite' train for leaf fall season: the outer stretches of the Met are bad for leaf pulp and 'Sandite' trains are usually old multiple units converted for the task. They spreas a sand mixture on the railhead to improve adhesion.
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #2094
iampuking

Quote:
Hmmm I don't know if the Rayners lane - Ealing Common section customers would appreciate losing direct trains to London. I'm all for total segregation between the District and Piccadilly. With a bit of remodelling west of Turnham Green we could have the Piccadilly going to Richmond and Heathrow and the District to Ealing and Uxbridge with no track sharing. I'd also have the Piccadilly stop at Turnham Green but not at Barons Court
That's a much better idea than mine! They should also throw in a station on the London Overground for interchange with the Piccadilly, passengers could get to Heathrow and avoid Central London.

Quote:
speed / approach controlled signals.
What are they? And why can't LU simply add signals to increase capacity, why do they need all the malarky of installing ATO and bringing new stock etc.

Also: Do you think Thameslink will ever get rebranded as Crossrail 2?
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #2095
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3156

Quote:

Also: Do you think Thameslink will ever get rebranded as Crossrail 2?
That got me to think what the fundamental difference is between Thameslink and Crossrail.

I suppose Thameslink is a cheaper version of Crossrail in that the core of the network is the small length of existing route between Farringdon and Blackfriars that was reopened in the 80s having been closed for most of the 20c.

In many respects the two lines are similar in that they both cater for full main line gauge trains. However, Thameslink has the two forms of power supply with the changeover at Farringdon and the curvature on the route and the steep gradient between City Thameslink and Farringdon will restrict linespeed.

I know that City Thameslink was built to take 12 car trains, although part of the reason for that was the need for the station to extend between its two entrances at Ludgate Hill and Holborn. I am not sure about the rest of the route.
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #2096
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

I really don't like how the idea of District to Uxbridge/Rayner's Lane keeps coming up. The along that branch already long with the Piccadilly, and letting the District take it over would lead to even longer journey times on this already quite unpopular line.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #2097
kegan

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
I know that City Thameslink was built to take 12 car trains, although part of the reason for that was the need for the station to extend between its two entrances at Ludgate Hill and Holborn. I am not sure about the rest of the route.
I think Thameslink is going to upgraded for 12 car trains. I seem to remember something about platform extensions at Farringdon being the reason that the Thameslink Moorgate branch will close (platform extended over junction site).

Anyway, Tubeman I've got a question:

- Now that the Watford DC line is part of the Overground, will TfL move the stations north of Hatch End in to zone A to be consistent with the Metropolitan line?
kegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #2098
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegan View Post
- Now that the Watford DC line is part of the Overground, will TfL move the stations north of Hatch End in to zone A to be consistent with the Metropolitan line?
Just because I happen to know this; TfL is getting rid of zones A-D and transferring them to 7, 8 and 9.

Carpenders Park is in 7
Bushey and Watford High St. are in 8
Watford Junction may still be outside the zones.
Amersham and Chesham are in zone 9
Chalfont and Latimer is in 8
Chorleywood to Moor Park are in 7 (Moor Park in 6/7)
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #2099
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
That got me to think what the fundamental difference is between Thameslink and Crossrail.

I suppose Thameslink is a cheaper version of Crossrail in that the core of the network is the small length of existing route between Farringdon and Blackfriars that was reopened in the 80s having been closed for most of the 20c.

In many respects the two lines are similar in that they both cater for full main line gauge trains. However, Thameslink has the two forms of power supply with the changeover at Farringdon and the curvature on the route and the steep gradient between City Thameslink and Farringdon will restrict linespeed.

Just because it has two forms of power supply, steep gradients doesn't mean it can't be known as a Crossrail line, after all, steep gradients and changes of power supply are of little matter to the paying public... It can take full size trains, it connects several satellite towns into London, and it goes straight through London without the need to change onto Tube lines, it sounds just like Crossrail to me.

Tubeman, sorry, but another question! How come the Piccadilly and Northern lines both have full size central halls with the escalators at grade with the platforms, even though they were both built before escalators even existed? And C&SLR and Yerkes stations all used lifts and had a twin-tube station design?
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #2100
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

I don't see any reason why not to brand Thameslink as a type of crossrail - it is just a brand after all. There's not really much need for higher line speeds between Blackfriars and Farringdon - they're only about 12 cars apart anyway - even at 20 mph it takes about a minute from city to farringdon. All of Thameslink will be platform-extended for 12 car operation including Blackfirars which would then completely travers the Thames and have an entrance on the south side of the river too.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube