daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #2141
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

I've heard you talk about the extension to Hayes quite a lot, but how likely are the plans to re-extend it to Watford and take over the Watford DC line?
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #2142
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Thanks a lot Martin S, it was really interesting.

image hosted on flickr

This is on the Victoria line, it appears there is enough space to squeeze in an emergency walkway if the tracks were moved to the left a tad, does anyone know if this is a possibility?
Those platforms on the Victoria Line are emergency walkways... Wouldn't fancy using them however!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #2143
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
I've heard you talk about the extension to Hayes quite a lot, but how likely are the plans to re-extend it to Watford and take over the Watford DC line?
Yes, absolutely. I'd say it's a certainty, in fact.

Perhaps it'll be considered once the ELLE opens in 2010: the plan is to run LOROL trains to Queen's Park ex-Camden Road, leading to Primrose Hill being re-opened (as Chalk Farm, which it was very close to), and thus allowing South Hampstead and Kilburn High Road to remain open when the Bakerloo exclusively takes over ther entire Watford DC lines beyond Queens Park.

To be honest I wouldn't even bother with that, it would be yet another LOROL service to run on the NLL route purely to keep two very lightly used stations open (they are both very close to Tube stations).
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #2144
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
yo tubeman, been thinking got some more for ya

-do you reckon it would be beneficial to curtail the metropolitan line at baker street, and then increase the capacity on the hammersmith and city? do u reckon it could be done or would the metroland lobby complain too hard about losing thier city link?
I think you're right with your final point. Also from a capacity perspective this would be wasting 33% of capacity per train path, as the Met main trains are 8 cars while the H&C / Circle 6.

Quote:
-are bakerloo line to somewhere in the bromley andthe northern splitting and extending to croydon seriously on TFLs agenda??
Northern Line split is inevitable I think (when ATO comes in), as for an extension from Kennington or any southern Bakerloo extension I wouldn't hold my breath, although the latter is defintiely being studied at present.

Quote:
-do you reckon running the fleet line as ashort shuttle from charing cross to fenchurch street would be beneficial??
Possibly, but ideally as a fast shuttle route with maybe only an intermediate station at City 'Thameslink', this would make it quite attractive as a route between The City and The West End.

Quote:
-finally do you reckon crossrail will change much from now to when it's implemented, like dropping a branch, going for shorter trains, and also now that it's a tfl project surely they can increase the frequency of the core section from 24tph so that bith branches can be served adequately??

cheers tubeman
I can't help fearing that it will be rationalised to an extent, but shortening trains would be criminal and ludicrous. Operationally I'd rather see a long train every 5 minutes than a short train every 2 minutes, as this makes the timetable easier to maintain.
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #2145
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
To be honest I wouldn't even bother with that, it would be yet another LOROL service to run on the NLL route purely to keep two very lightly used stations open (they are both very close to Tube stations).
I thought that part of the reason for that service was to up frequency between Camden and Stratford as 4tph wasn't enough. Keeping the stations open is a bonus, but not the only reason for it (though there wouldn't be a need for 8tph once Chelney opens).

It'll be worth seeing what the demand from the DC line area between Willesden Junction and South Hampstead to Camden is - look at bus routes, etc. It could be that while those people don't want to go to Euston, as the tube links are better for end destinations in Central London, they would far value a service to Camden. It'll take people off the slower NLL route which is a bit further north (however is moving passengers around justification for it), as well as buses. It'll probably show that it's worth closing the stations, but you would need such a study to justify it, especially to Mayor Ken (if still in charge)
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #2146
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Those platforms on the Victoria Line are emergency walkways... Wouldn't fancy using them however!
Why is there two narrow ones when a wider one could go on one side?

What does "LOROL" mean?

And I thought of an idea for faster reversals... How about having a driver at each end, for example, a driver can get on the back of the train at Queen's Park, and the original driver drives it into the siding, the "new" driver then drives forward into the southbound platform and the original driver gets off and has his tea break!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #2147
iampuking

Another question, i'm sorry about this, I sometimes feel that i'm taking the piss with all these questions...

What is the frequency on Tube lines during rush hour?
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #2148
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Another question, i'm sorry about this, I sometimes feel that i'm taking the piss with all these questions...

What is the frequency on Tube lines during rush hour?
The Bakerloo (for example) is 22 tph... This is fairly typical.

I don't know what the highest timetabled tph is, but anecdotally the Piccadilly Line has always felt like 30tph (I used it every day for 8 years), dunno if this is accurate or not though?
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #2149
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Why is there two narrow ones when a wider one could go on one side?

What does "LOROL" mean?

And I thought of an idea for faster reversals... How about having a driver at each end, for example, a driver can get on the back of the train at Queen's Park, and the original driver drives it into the siding, the "new" driver then drives forward into the southbound platform and the original driver gets off and has his tea break!
I think those Vic Line walkways were a bit of an afterthought when it was originally planned to be driverless: there must have been a bit of an outcry about the thought of hundreds of passengers being left marooned on trains, quite what use those walkways would be I don't know, as customers have no emergency door release anyway. Perhaps the original plan was for a Guard at the back to operate the doors, and they could have facilitated a detrainment via the Guard's **** (don't laugh, it's the emergency internal door release for one of the doors on the rear car)... I really don't know.

LOROL = London Overground Rail Operations Ltd
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2150
iampuking

Quote:
The Bakerloo (for example) is 22 tph... This is fairly typical.

I don't know what the highest timetabled tph is, but anecdotally the Piccadilly Line has always felt like 30tph (I used it every day for 8 years), dunno if this is accurate or not though?
Silly me, I was supposed to ask about off-peak frequencies, I said rush hour in haste...

Do you know?
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #2151
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Silly me, I was supposed to ask about off-peak frequencies, I said rush hour in haste...

Do you know?
Dunno... Really depends on the line I suppose... between the peaks services really don't tail off an awful lot anyway.
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #2152
iampuking

Sometimes it seems that some lines could do with more trains, especially on Saturdays when the Tube is still very crowded. Saturday is worse than rush hour actually... Too many tourists and shoppers with large bags in big groups, at rush hour nearly everyone is alone and walks as fast as possible, they all know the rules...
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #2153
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

The Piccadilly specifically seems to be extremely busy on evenings and weekends. Not surprising really, considering how many tourist spots there are along the line.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #2154
iampuking

It has the most passengers on Saturday's according to the TfL site...
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #2155
chris.haynes

Likes (Received): 19

got to be heathrow and arsenal fc traffic
chris.haynes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #2156
iampuking

and Piccadilly Circus, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, South Kensington, King's Cross and then the tourist hotels at Russel Square and Earl's Court!
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #2157
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

this is the new FCC St Pancras Station that First Capital Connect are currently using now what used to be Thameslink

this seems like a great and modern station like the Jubilee line Extensions stations
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #2158
jetsetwilly

Likes (Received): 352

Is it called St Pancras Thameslink, or just St Pancras? Please say it's not St Pancras First Capital Connect - if it is I may be sick.
jetsetwilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #2159
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
this is the new FCC St Pancras Station that First Capital Connect are currently using now what used to be Thameslink

this seems like a great and modern station like the Jubilee line Extensions stations
I was there this evening. Yes its very nice, big and clean. Very reminiscent of a continental station. Very airport like too.
I was disappointed though by the transfer from there to the tube though. It took several minutes to walk. Covered, car free, and very interesting compared to Kings Cross/St Pancras to Kings Cross Thameslink but annoyingly long.
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #2160
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

tubeman question about crossrail, the double entrance thing bugs me.

-the majority of people using crossrail will be using the central stations, therefore isn't liekly you are gonna have bunching at the front and back of the trains expecially durin rush hour??

-don't you think that the morgate/liverpool street and faringdon/barbican stations should be named as such similar to kings cross st pancras to avoid confusion. and it could be misleading one may enter liverpool street thinking they can catch the northern from moorgate. i hope something is done to show separation!!

-do you think that the station at bond street should be renamed hanover square as that is nowhere bond street and therefore have a monument bank sort of feel where you enter hanover square for crossrail and bond street for the other lines and there is free interchange between the two. same at tottenham court road, call the crossrail exit dean street. a major reason is as the stations are named after roads than areas, it is a bit weird that bond street station would have an entrance nowhere near bond street, although i am well away bond street isn't a road name that actually exists

-finally do you think they should add a station at holborn and get rid of maryland. i personally hope they get rid of the isle of dogs branch and maidenhead branches and run it from heathrow to shenfield with a branch to hammersmith. i know you mentioned that there would likely be a continuous station between golhawk road and wood lanre but that wouldnt be a problem if they built shepherds bush station as it used to be with exists on both goldhawk and uxbridge roads

what do you think tubeman???
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube