daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #2341
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Ok, here's another one.

On the roof of Cannon Street Station, there is an acre sized rooftop garden with great views of the Thames and London in general. It aparently cost something like half a million pounds to build.

My question is, is this open to the public, maybe via a restuarant or cafe (or only for private events), and if so, how on earth does one find the entrance? ;O)

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #2342
zfreeman

Likes (Received): 1

^

This is one i know a bit about.......

It's generally used for corporate events and private parties. I was fortunate enough to go there twice last summer, both fantastic occasions, the building it is based on is private but if attending events the entrance for the roof garden is on Cousins Lane.

Access is via either a spiral staircase or elevator. At the garden even has a pond with a group of resident ducks.

Its similiar to the Roof Gardens in Kensington (owned by Richard Branson), from where the idea was taken. They have a website for further info
zfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #2343
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6544

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfreeman View Post
They were talking about boarding times and how they will be experimenting over the next 6 months at 10 Jubilee Line stations, basically its all about the lines on platforms showing people where to stand, ironically a couple of the stations included are Canada Water and Canary Wharf, both of which have those doors!!
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #2344
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Am I the only one that hopes the experiment is a disaster and those ugly things won't remain there?

And Tubeman, South Kensington has direct platform access since the platforms are on top of each other, I know this for sure, it's in that Doug Rose's book.

Do you know which stocks are the most and least reliable?

As always, thanks for replying!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #2345
svast

Likes (Received): 56

Railway stations in a day

Swede told me to use this nice thread for my question!
I will be in London in mid march and had an idea of looking at the railway stations in one day.
So I'm looking for some good advice on the matter. And of course is there some nice station outside the city center worth visiting.

Always railways!

Now I have some photos my visit in London

Last edited by svast; March 23rd, 2008 at 04:00 PM.
svast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #2346
iampuking

It depends on what kind of thing you're after...
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #2347
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

svast:
Mainline railway stations: St. Pancras International, Paddington, Liverpool Street.
Tube stations: Westminster, Canary Wharf, Notting Hill Gate, Baker Street (Hammersmith and City/Circle lines), Earl's Court... I'm not sure what else to recommend here. I think this would be a very good selection of stations. If you don't mind going futher out, try Turnpike Lane or Arnos Grove for a nice Charles Holden designed station.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #2348
Smarty

Likes (Received): 2956

Tubeman - why are people asked to not lean against the doors when travelling through the tunnels ? On the Jubilee Line (assuming it's working which is a big assumption after the past few days) it's so packed from Canary Wharf that it's impossible not to lean against the doors. What does leaning against the doors do ?
Smarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #2349
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
Tubeman - why are people asked to not lean against the doors when travelling through the tunnels ? On the Jubilee Line (assuming it's working which is a big assumption after the past few days) it's so packed from Canary Wharf that it's impossible not to lean against the doors. What does leaning against the doors do ?
It can cause the loss of the 'Doors closed visual', essentially a circuit proved when all the doors are closed which allows the motors to engage. Without it the motors won't engage, which prevents the driver from moving off with the doors open but can also cause loss of forward movement if the train is so packed people are pushing against the doors. It also happens if someone has a coat or scarf stuck in the doors.

The doors initially close enough for the 'Doors closed visual' to illuminate so the driver pulls off, but the momentum of the train pulling away causes the doors to open a fraction more and the visual is lost along with power to the motors. This causes a lurch often mistaken for brakes being applied accompanied by a loud 'pop' on some stocks. It's less common on newer stocks and commoner on 67, 72 and 73 stocks which have old fashioned air-operated doors combined with jerky acceleration.

The 'pop' on these stocks is the air-operated linebreakers slamming across to shut off power to the motors: it needs to be a rapid and forceful motion to stop and arc being drawn which could fuse the linebreakers shut.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #2350
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Do you happen to know what happened to those hydrogen buses they were using on Route 25?

I know it's not a tube question, but you seemed a good port of call...
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #2351
Smarty

Likes (Received): 2956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
It can cause the loss of the 'Doors closed visual', essentially a circuit proved when all the doors are closed which allows the motors to engage. Without it the motors won't engage, which prevents the driver from moving off with the doors open but can also cause loss of forward movement if the train is so packed people are pushing against the doors. It also happens if someone has a coat or scarf stuck in the doors.

The doors initially close enough for the 'Doors closed visual' to illuminate so the driver pulls off, but the momentum of the train pulling away causes the doors to open a fraction more and the visual is lost along with power to the motors. This causes a lurch often mistaken for brakes being applied accompanied by a loud 'pop' on some stocks. It's less common on newer stocks and commoner on 67, 72 and 73 stocks which have old fashioned air-operated doors combined with jerky acceleration.

The 'pop' on these stocks is the air-operated linebreakers slamming across to shut off power to the motors: it needs to be a rapid and forceful motion to stop and arc being drawn which could fuse the linebreakers shut.
Thanks.

And what causes power supply problems / traction problems ?
Smarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #2352
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
Do you happen to know what happened to those hydrogen buses they were using on Route 25?

I know it's not a tube question, but you seemed a good port of call...
Dunno... I used to see them at Waterloo on an experimental route a couple of years ago but they seem to have disappeared... I know they were very expensive. Looks really cool to see steam coming out of the top of a bus though!
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #2353
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
Thanks.

And what causes power supply problems / traction problems ?
Traction current is split into sections normally about 4 or 5 stations long with a substation at each end. If there are a lot of trains in a section and they all 'wind up' at once the circuit breakers can trip in the substation, but they reset immediately normally. There can also be surges which knock out the breakers and can be more damaging (e.g. to train equipment). I dunno if the latter is what happened on the Jubilee Line yesterday...
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #2354
iampuking

When on the Jubilee line yesterday, half the lights were off!
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #2355
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
When on the Jubilee line yesterday, half the lights were off!
Assuming the Jubilee stock are like the more archaic stocks I know better, this means the 'Motor Alternators' in one of the motor cars wasn't working.

The trains receive 630V from the current rails which power the motors, compressors (for air pressure) and the Motor Alternators (MAs). The MAs convert the 630V DC traction current into 110V AC for the car lighting and 50V DC for power & control circuits (essentially transformers).

Each train is usually made up of 2 units with a motor car at each end, and each motor car has an MA on it which supplies power for the lighting up one side of that unit. This basically means that if you see cars with lighting up one side only then the MA on one of the motor cars isn't working.

You see a similar effect briefly when a train passes over points or rail gaps, as each motor car comes off 'juice' half the car lights on that unit blink out as power is cut to the MAs before being restored again.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #2356
iampuking

I thought it had something to do with the power problems earlier, but this seems to make more sense... The lights on the trains weren't off on one side though, it was alternating from one on on one side and one on on the other side, if you get what I mean.
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #2357
Tubeman
Jubilation

Was the train moving?

If the traction current goes off then a smattering of strip lights remain on through battery power (Emergency lighting)... But obviously if the train was moving this wouldn't be the reason.
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #2358
iampuking

The train was moving, and it was for the whole journey...

On another note, do you know why the sub-surface lines don't have suicide pits?
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #2359
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Once when appraching Seven Sisters on a train that was to terminate there, the driver decided to flick the lights several times to tell everyone that. This of course plunged the whole training in to darkness!
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #2360
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

A question to the Tubeman or anyone who has the answer: how long does it take one to ride the whole Jubilee line end to end? Same question with Bakerloo line.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube