daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #2361
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanico View Post
A question to the Tubeman or anyone who has the answer: how long does it take one to ride the whole Jubilee line end to end? Same question with Bakerloo line.
TFL's Journey Planner says:

1 hour 2 minutes for the Jubilee Line but that it may be slightly quicker to stat on the Central LIne.

49 minutes for Bakerloo line but that using a overground train or bus for part of the journey doesn't make much difference!

James
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #2362
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
The train was moving, and it was for the whole journey...

On another note, do you know why the sub-surface lines don't have suicide pits?
Re: the Jubilee Line train.. something had evidently 'tripped'... I'm not conversant with newer stocks I'm afraid.

There are no suicide pits on SSR because the clearances are much greater under the train. They are not designed for people to inadvertantly fall into if they're intent on killing themselves, they're there to assist with the clear-up afterwards. Recovery units can just crawl under SSR trains.

It would have to be a pretty spectacular failure to jump in front of a train on purpose and somehow end up in the pit unscathed.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #2363
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Clean up... Yuck... Who has to do that?

I remember you saying only 1/3 of 'one-unders' die, or was it 2/3s? Thanks as always for your replies.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #2364
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Clean up... Yuck... Who has to do that?
Other than the normal emergency services the guys at the Emergency Response Unit:
http://www.tubelines.com/whatwedo/eru.aspx
http://www.tubelines.com/news/releas...ainingrel.aspx
They have recently been given new fire engine style vehicles
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #2365
zfreeman

Likes (Received): 1

^ I hope they get counselling, I'm sure its a messy job.

Feel sorry for them having to clear up after the Bombings in 2005, I'm sure my leg wasn't that nice.
zfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #2366
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfreeman View Post
^ I hope they get counselling, I'm sure its a messy job.

Feel sorry for them having to clear up after the Bombings in 2005, I'm sure my leg wasn't that nice.

You were caught up in the bombings?
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2367
Tubeman
Jubilation

Regarding the ERU, they don't solely clear up after one unders, they rush to a lot of incidents like derailments, stalled trains, track defects... They're a peculiar bunch, all 'real' men for whom asking for counselling would be a sign of weakness I think. They turn up mob handed all greasy and sweaty and chuck body parts into bags or smash the crap out of earthing porcelain pots with gay abandon and good humour... I think it's the only way to deal with the nastier aspects of the job. There's great camaraderie within the ERU units and the staff certainly seem to 'enjoy' their work... it's nothing if not exciting.

I can think of things I'd rather be doing that crawling through the dirt under a train to establish if someone's dead or not!
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #2368
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Hello,
you know on the Bakerloo line there is, after Queen's Park, a depot like thing which the train goes right into and aout the other side? What is that?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #2369
cle

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Hello,
you know on the Bakerloo line there is, after Queen's Park, a depot like thing which the train goes right into and aout the other side? What is that?
I can answer this - there is a shed which stables terminating trains (holds 3 I believe) and also contains the through lines which north of Queens Park, join with the Euston lines.

There's another shed just south (east really) which holds another 3 or 4 trains.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #2370
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
I can answer this - there is a shed which stables terminating trains (holds 3 I believe) and also contains the through lines which north of Queens Park, join with the Euston lines.

There's another shed just south (east really) which holds another 3 or 4 trains.

Thanks!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #2371
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Ok, here's another one.

On the roof of Cannon Street Station, there is an acre sized rooftop garden with great views of the Thames and London in general. It aparently cost something like half a million pounds to build.

My question is, is this open to the public, maybe via a restuarant or cafe (or only for private events), and if so, how on earth does one find the entrance? ;O)

That garden isnt open to the public, you have to be working in Cannon bridge house to use it.

I posted a couple pics from up there looking over towards London Bridge, its really nice up there in the summer.
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #2372
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Thanks for the info as well. It is a pity that such a lovely parl on the roof of a public station isn't open to the public...
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #2373
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 216

Tubeman, how much does it cost to advertise on the underground trains (you know those little card adverts you see above the seats, close to the ceiling) and how much for an advert display at a station?
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #2374
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Hi Tubeman

Can you please tell me what this is?:
Its at Farriingdon on the north/west bound sub-surface lines. It has two little yellow lights that flash continuously. The strange thing is that they cannot be seen from a train coming along that track. They only be seen from the other direction.
It bugs me every time I see it on my way home.

James
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #2375
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:

Pretty much...

The North Shed stables 4 overnight and by day essentially consists of the two through lines either side of two reversing sidings. The South Shed only stables 2.

The very unusual set-up was brought about by lack of space.

Queen's Park station is also unusual to retain an overall roof, quite uncommon for a relatively quiet station on the fringe of Inner London.
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2376
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim Flyer View Post
Tubeman, how much does it cost to advertise on the underground trains (you know those little card adverts you see above the seats, close to the ceiling) and how much for an advert display at a station?
Pass. I guess they're paid for by the hundred (i.e. x amount of adverts over x amount of time) so individually don't cost very much.
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #2377
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemcbuller View Post
Hi Tubeman

Can you please tell me what this is?:
Its at Farriingdon on the north/west bound sub-surface lines. It has two little yellow lights that flash continuously. The strange thing is that they cannot be seen from a train coming along that track. They only be seen from the other direction.
It bugs me every time I see it on my way home.

James
They're warning lights for a temporary speed restriction. A little further beyond on the track bed there should be a blue plate at a slight angle with a number on it in white writing, I'm guessing '5' (= 5mph)?

The lights are facing the 'wrong way' presumably because they're associated with the crossover halfway down the platform at Farringdon, so there is a 'temporary' speed restriction across the crossover for reversing trains only (quite common, when the points become life expired a 'temporary' speed restriction is often slapped on them until they're replaced, which can be years).
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #2378
cle

Likes (Received): 524

Would you consider Queens Park a quiet station? I grew up close to there, and it's always seemed much busier than anywhere else north of Paddington. A lot of people change there too.

Why did they rebuild the stairs to platforms 5 and 6, but County/London Midland trains never stop there anymore. I used these trains a few times in the 90s and a fair few people got on/off at Queens Park. They don't even use them for rail replacement when the tube is off, like they used to.

I'd have thought this'd be an easier way of changing onto the tube than at Euston for some destinations if you were coming from Watford, Milton Keynes etc...? (Paddington/Heathrow, Baker St, Piccadilly Circus, Marylebone)
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #2379
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Would you consider Queens Park a quiet station? I grew up close to there, and it's always seemed much busier than anywhere else north of Paddington. A lot of people change there too.

Why did they rebuild the stairs to platforms 5 and 6, but County/London Midland trains never stop there anymore. I used these trains a few times in the 90s and a fair few people got on/off at Queens Park. They don't even use them for rail replacement when the tube is off, like they used to.

I'd have thought this'd be an easier way of changing onto the tube than at Euston for some destinations if you were coming from Watford, Milton Keynes etc...? (Paddington/Heathrow, Baker St, Piccadilly Circus, Marylebone)
I guess it looks busier than it is due to northbound customers being hoofed off terminating Bakerloo trains and southbound LOROL customers waiting to change onto southbound Bakerloo trains, a good enough reason as any to have an overall roof. I was thinking more in terms of how many people actually enter and exit the station, which isn't a huge amount.

I didn't realise there were no London Midland (ex-Silverlink County) stopping services there any more... Hopefully if / when the LOROL service to Watford is replaced by the Bakerloo Line the London Midland trains will all stop at Queen's Park.
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #2380
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
They're warning lights for a temporary speed restriction. A little further beyond on the track bed there should be a blue plate at a slight angle with a number on it in white writing, I'm guessing '5' (= 5mph)?

The lights are facing the 'wrong way' presumably because they're associated with the crossover halfway down the platform at Farringdon, so there is a 'temporary' speed restriction across the crossover for reversing trains only (quite common, when the points become life expired a 'temporary' speed restriction is often slapped on them until they're replaced, which can be years).
You were right, except that its for the points to the Smithfield sidings.
Thanks, mystery solved!

Tags
london, railways, tube