daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #2481
cle
Registered User
 
cle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,096
Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
No...? And Hampstead Heath has also been moved back into zone 2 as of January this year.
Good to know.

And why the 'No...?' - this isn't such an unreasonable question.

There are plenty of other examples of the zones manipulating fares to be higher than they should be, Willesden Junction not being 2/3 since when I was a boy means a Kensal Rise - Acton Central journey (both zone 2 stations) means paying for zone 3.

An even more scandalous one is High St Ken not being 1/2. It's no more central than Notting Hill Gate but because of this stupidity, a journey from Hammersmith to Notting Hill Gate is £2.50 on pre-pay instead of £1 - like to Earls Court. HSK being in zone 1 only ruins this, rather unfairly as NHG is 1/2 as well.

They should have all of those three stations as overlaps, like they show on the Melbourne train maps.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #2482
sweek
Registered User
 
sweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London NW1
Posts: 1,636
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
Good to know.

And why the 'No...?' - this isn't such an unreasonable question.

There are plenty of other examples of the zones manipulating fares to be higher than they should be, Willesden Junction not being 2/3 since when I was a boy means a Kensal Rise - Acton Central journey (both zone 2 stations) means paying for zone 3.

An even more scandalous one is High St Ken not being 1/2. It's no more central than Notting Hill Gate but because of this stupidity, a journey from Hammersmith to Notting Hill Gate is £2.50 on pre-pay instead of £1 - like to Earls Court. HSK being in zone 1 only ruins this, rather unfairly as NHG is 1/2 as well.

They should have all of those three stations as overlaps, like they show on the Melbourne train maps.
I would say that High Street Ken and Notting Hill Gate are both clearly zone 1 stations - as is everything else on or within the circle line. Yes, of course it means that some short journeys may seem like they cost a lot... but the whole point of having cheaper fares for non-zone-1 journeys is so that people will try to not go through central London, and take a bus for a journey that.

Willesden Junction has been moved from 3 to 2/3, and all the Acton stations are now in zone 3. Except for North Acton which is also 2/3. These changes make it a bit cheaper to travel on the orbital lines.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #2483
cle
Registered User
 
cle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,096
Likes (Received): 524

I wasn't aware of those Acton changes, thanks.

I'd be happy if Notting Hiill Gate became zone 1 only, as was High St Ken. At least it's consistent and Earls Court's 1/2 status is different, to allow Putney - Hammersmith journeys and so on. But if NHG is 1/2 and Earls Court is, High St Ken should be.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #2484
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
I wasn't aware of those Acton changes, thanks.

I'd be happy if Notting Hiill Gate became zone 1 only, as was High St Ken. At least it's consistent and Earls Court's 1/2 status is different, to allow Putney - Hammersmith journeys and so on. But if NHG is 1/2 and Earls Court is, High St Ken should be.

...But then Central Line customers would get upset (e.g. Shepherd's Bush to Notting Hill gate spanning 2 zones)... The bottom line is, the more stops straddling 2 zones the better for customers.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #2485
sotonsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,563

earls' court is zone 1/2 for when the circle goes up the spout, and you need to go HSK-Earls Court-Gloucester Road. It's a big move of the zone 1 boundary.

HSK and Notting Hill Gate are also quite a way out for zone 1, one guesses that these are in zone 1 so as not to have the circle line going out into zone 2. I have no idea why NHG would also need to be in zone 2, due to 3 out of the 4 stations next along the line being zone 1. When Shepherd's Bush/Wood Lane sort themselves out and open, then HSK being in zone 1/2 wouldn't open up any journey opportunities not doable by train fairly easily outside of zone 1 (though changing at Shepherd's Bush and Olympia or West Brompton to get to Earl's Court might be annoying). Then again, it would be a nice to have.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #2486
cle
Registered User
 
cle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,096
Likes (Received): 524

Shepherd's Bush as 1/2 might play havoc with people's perceptions, and really boost the shopping centre...
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #2487
Aston666
Registered User
 
Aston666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: z nienacka
Posts: 254
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
Shepherd's Bush as 1/2 might play havoc with people's perceptions, and really boost the shopping centre...

sure it can We do know that...
Aston666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #2488
Songoten2554
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 87

i want to ask you something not a serious question but ok umm do you think Thomas and the tank engine will add a Cartoonish version of the London Underground, Eurostar and the Docklands Light Railway?

also another question where is the Hogwarts express train at where do they keep it stored at?

now to the serious questions

Tubeman have you been to the terminal 5 and how is the terminal?

i have heard of a new rail link to stanies when is it going to be under construction.

so umm how is the progress with Crossrail? has construction finally started?

i also heard about a couple of arrangements to the Circle line i wonder why are they doing this? is it a good idea or a bad one?

so umm also how is everybody coping with the construction of many of these projects is it harder to get around now?

Last edited by Songoten2554; April 20th, 2008 at 05:37 AM.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #2489
zfreeman
Registered User
 
zfreeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cork City, formally SY,UK/LDN,UK and CT,SA
Posts: 739
Likes (Received): 1

^ The tube improvements generally take place at quieter times such as during the night closures and weekends, but sometimes more time is needed, at the moment this means one of the key stations on the network - Bank/Monument - is severely disrupted when you try to change lines, but mostly these works are planned well in advance and is advertised at each station the work coming up that month.

Most of the time if it means service interruptions then a replacement bus service is put on though this isn't always the case.

Plans to change the circle line are under discussion because it uses the same tracks as the District and the Hammersmith/City Line and the circle line is generally severely disrupted if there are even minor delays on the other 2 lines

As for the other 2 questions I'll leave for someone else as I dont know much about them, except Crossrail is proposed to start sometime soon and be open within the next 10 years.
zfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM   #2490
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
i want to ask you something not a serious question but ok umm do you think Thomas and the tank engine will add a Cartoonish version of the London Underground, Eurostar and the Docklands Light Railway?
The 'Thomas the Tank engine' books are based in the last century and on a fictional island in the Irish Sea, so I doubt LU, Eurostar or DLR trains will ever visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
also another question where is the Hogwarts express train at where do they keep it stored at?
I think it's on the North Yorkshire Moors railway (preserved railway in North Yorkshire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
now to the serious questions

Tubeman have you been to the terminal 5 and how is the terminal?
Not yet... Check out U Thant's photos on flickr. I just passed through Heathrow, but Terminal 3. I'm using T5 when I go to India in October

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
i have heard of a new rail link to stanies when is it going to be under construction.
It's 'Airtrack'... I think it's provisionally pencilled in for a 2016 opening. A pair of platforms have been constructed in T5 station for it and the route safeguarded. Mostly it's a doubling / re-opening of the southern end of the GWR Staines West branch, which closed completely in 1981 when the M25 motorway obliterated part of the route. The northern end (West Drayton to Colnbrook) remaines open to serve several freight facilities, including the logistics centre used for T5 construction materials. Airtrack would provide direct services from T5 to Reading, Guildford and London Waterloo. Technically a Paddington to Waterloo service via Heathrow is feasible, but I don't know if it's been mooted and the trains would need to be dual-electrified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
so umm how is the progress with Crossrail? has construction finally started?
Not yet, just some preparatory works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
i also heard about a couple of arrangements to the Circle line i wonder why are they doing this? is it a good idea or a bad one?
Yes the Circle line in its current form might be scrapped in favour of route options which carry out a lap of the Circle while also having termini at each end. This allows late-running trains to recover lost time, so I'm largely in favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
so umm also how is everybody coping with the construction of many of these projects is it harder to get around now?
Weekends can be a bit of a nightmare, with multiple line closures. Currently the Victoria Line closes early at 22:00 except at weekends in connection with the new trains / upgrade.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:15 AM   #2491
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

PS I'm in Vietnam, so don't be surprised if I don't get back to questions that quickly for the next couple of weeks
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM   #2492
pupjake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Posts: 4
Likes (Received): 0

Hey there peops

There are rumours that the ELL extension phase 2 has been fully approved and funded, but that the news has been embargoed until after the mayoral elections. Has anyone heard anything concrete? Can appreciate that tubeman himself might get into trouble if he says anything until after May 1st, so not necessarily expecting him to say anything.

Cheers
pupjake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM   #2493
Songoten2554
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 87

thanks Tubeman umm so your in vietnam oh umm so how is vietnam?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM   #2494
cle
Registered User
 
cle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,096
Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupjake View Post
Hey there peops

There are rumours that the ELL extension phase 2 has been fully approved and funded, but that the news has been embargoed until after the mayoral elections. Has anyone heard anything concrete? Can appreciate that tubeman himself might get into trouble if he says anything until after May 1st, so not necessarily expecting him to say anything.

Cheers
Is this Ken's slip of the tongue? Poor him if it is embargoed, I'm not a massive fan but this is the sort of thing he should be able to use as election PR.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM   #2495
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner
 
Acemcbuller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 204
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupjake View Post
Hey there peops

There are rumours that the ELL extension phase 2 has been fully approved and funded, but that the news has been embargoed until after the mayoral elections. Has anyone heard anything concrete?
No more than the links from this:
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...-junction.html
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:17 PM   #2496
DarJoLe
Registered User
 
DarJoLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 19,918
Likes (Received): 6544

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
Is this Ken's slip of the tongue? Poor him if it is embargoed, I'm not a massive fan but this is the sort of thing he should be able to use as election PR.
The incumbant is not allowed to announce any new funded projects for a month before elections I believe.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:58 PM   #2497
zfreeman
Registered User
 
zfreeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cork City, formally SY,UK/LDN,UK and CT,SA
Posts: 739
Likes (Received): 1

A big slip up then.

Could end up being Kens last big legacy or Boris' first 'positive move' as Mayor
zfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #2498
DarJoLe
Registered User
 
DarJoLe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 19,918
Likes (Received): 6544

Slip up? From whom? Ken hasn't mentioned it.

Well the way the media is going at the moment, when Ken announces it I expect they will call it the next disaster in the making. When Boris announces it the papers will call him the new messiah.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM   #2499
Songoten2554
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 87

the Wrexham & Shropshire Railway company opened and it seems great that there is more links to parts of the country that hasn't have links to London and now they do.

currently it goes from wales to London Marylebone station so now people of wales can travel to london on rail directly.

i also been curious about some of the arches that the london underground have its like a metal arch for some reason i seen them in some places of the London Underground what is that?

also why does the London Underground needs 4 rails if i thought most subways work with third rail opreation or overhead wires?

Tubeman or anybody do you think that Stratford Regional Station and the NYC LIRR Jamaica Station are similar like in structure and layout as each other?

Last edited by Songoten2554; May 3rd, 2008 at 09:19 AM.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM   #2500
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides
 
elfabyanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,814
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
now people of wales can travel to london on rail directly.
People of north and south wales can already go directly by train, it's only the people of the city of wrexham, and just over the border into wales, that have a new service.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
london, railways, tube

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium