daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #2541
MoritzCH

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Heathrow Connect direct to Ealing Broadway might be the best option since it's a much more direct journey with level interchange at EB. You have to buy a separate ticket (about £5 per person single) since tube tickets, Oyster and Travelcards aren't valid. The trains are only every 30 minutes.

Your plan means going over the footbridge at Acton Town. They are installing lifts right now, but they won't be working until towards the end of the year.
Thanks. I appreciate the replies from both. Two more quick questions:

I'm not in any real hurry with getting to North Acton from Heathrow. Call me cheap but £5 seems a bit much for a single ride (though yes, the Heathrow Express is much worse). I was just planning on getting a 7-day zone 1-2 Travelcard and just get the extension from Heathrow on that one day. It seems more cost effective, if I'm incorrect, please let me know. If I do still insist on the Piccadilly Line, what interchange to the District Line would be a level one. (If I'm still going back to Ealing Broadway) If I'm going too far in towards central London, then I might just take a District Line to Notting Hill Gate and then back to North Acton. Again, I have no idea what the interchange is going to be like there loaded with luggage. Thanks for warning me about Acton Town though!

I'm also going to be going to Kings X St. Pancras from North Acton. (For Eurostar services) What route would be easiest (again with luggage). I'm guessing changing for the Circle Line at Notting Hill Gate would be the most painless given its a Sub-Surface Stock.

And now for my non-directional question:

What types of stock have some sort of manufacturer's stamp or plaque in the doorway? I remember the 1995/1996 TS have "GEC-ALSTHOM" near the doors and C-Stock have "Metro-Cammell" inscribed. Are there any others that I've missed. I notice that the 1992TS don't look like they have any sort of "ABB" or "Bombardier" plates, could I be wrong? Are there any pictures of these sort of inscriptions? I always thought these were pretty unique as well.

Thanks again.
MoritzCH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #2542
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

I have question Tubeman...

Why is there such a large gap between the train and the platform at the brand new King's Cross Low Level station? What's the point in building it for step free access if it's such a faff to get onto the train...

Also, do you know of how passengers will get to the deep level platforms at the new King's Cross ticket hall, will it be escalators then steps, escalators direct to the platforms, etc etc.

Thanks as always!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #2543
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
I have question Tubeman...

Why is there such a large gap between the train and the platform at the brand new King's Cross Low Level station? What's the point in building it for step free access if it's such a faff to get onto the train...

Also, do you know of how passengers will get to the deep level platforms at the new King's Cross ticket hall, will it be escalators then steps, escalators direct to the platforms, etc etc.

Thanks as always!
I'd not noticed it myself (only used it a couple of days ago)... Maybe there was some foresight employed and the S Stocks have lower floors? (Complete stab in the dark).

I'm afraid I can't answer your second query either... I'm sure it is guaranteed that there will be lift access to platforms for MIPs, how the majority of customers will be accessing the platforms I don't know. Escalators + steps a fair bet, it must be so complex down there with 3 tube lines, a subsurface tunnel, First Capital connect, the River Fleet, numerous services etc that providing a clear escalator run down to every platform level is probably unachievable.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #2544
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
I'd not noticed it myself (only used it a couple of days ago)... Maybe there was some foresight employed and the S Stocks have lower floors? (Complete stab in the dark).

I'm afraid I can't answer your second query either... I'm sure it is guaranteed that there will be lift access to platforms for MIPs, how the majority of customers will be accessing the platforms I don't know. Escalators + steps a fair bet, it must be so complex down there with 3 tube lines, a subsurface tunnel, First Capital connect, the River Fleet, numerous services etc that providing a clear escalator run down to every platform level is probably unachievable.
Thanks for your replies, there are pictures of a model of King's Cross tube station here, but I can't quite work it out...
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #2545
Tubeman
Jubilation

Hmm looks like the old set-up with two banks of escalators descending off the main concourse, one to the same level as the Vic line and one to the level of the Picc line, with stairs down to the Northern from the Picc line concourse. A bit tricky to make out in that pic though to be honest.
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #2546
U Thant

It'll be one set of escalators down to a long interchange tunnel with escalators and lifts either side down to each tube line. The tunnel is an extended, widened version of the King's Cross Thameslink interchange tunnel.

It's the flat grey tunnel nearest the camera in that photo, with the old stairs to the Victoria Line facing us and the escalator and lift concourse heading away from the camera.
U Thant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #2547
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by U Thant View Post
It'll be one set of escalators down to a long interchange tunnel with escalators and lifts either side down to each tube line. The tunnel is an extended, widened version of the King's Cross Thameslink interchange tunnel.

It's the flat grey tunnel nearest the camera in that photo, with the old stairs to the Victoria Line facing us and the escalator and lift concourse heading away from the camera.
That flat grey bit? What are those grey tubes for?

Anyway thanks for the replies you two. Does anyone know if they are breaking through one of the walls at the Piccadilly line concourse (between the platforms) to give an extra passage to the platforms, as some of the tiling has been taken off, exposing the tunnel lining underneath.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #2548
U Thant

The green bit is the Thameslink route between St Pancras Thameslink and King's Cross Thameslink (and onwards to Farringdon etc). The three grey curves are tunnels connecting it to the main line north of King's Cross that allowed local trains from the Finsbury Park direction to access the City at Moorgate via Farringdon.

The middle connection does nothing useful and may even have never even have had track laid. The other two are separate northbound and southbound tunnels that came out on different sides of the main line. They were taken out of use when the Finsbury Park-Highbury-Moorgate tunnel was connected to the main line in the 1970s, due to their very sharp curves.

The straight grey tunnel is the River Fleet, I think.
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #2549
iampuking

Does anybody know if the new digital avertising is going to be this bulky, this is an example of one at Bond Street Central line.
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #2550
iampuking

Also, will there be direct interchange between the Central line and LO, or will it be crappy like West Hampstead?
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:48 AM   #2551
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Does anybody know if the new digital avertising is going to be this bulky, this is an example of one at Bond Street Central line.

Yes the units are approx 1m cubed... Piccadilly Circus (Bakerloo) goes live this Sunday.
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:49 AM   #2552
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Also, will there be direct interchange between the Central line and LO, or will it be crappy like West Hampstead?
Direct, hence the closure of the Central Line station for upgrade, re-opneing in conjunction with the LOROL station later this year
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:38 AM   #2553
iampuking

Quote:
Yes the units are approx 1m cubed... Piccadilly Circus (Bakerloo) goes live this Sunday.
Oh christ, they look awful, why are they so big? And we're going to be seeing these in nearly every single Central London station? Give me stength...

And good news about Shepherd's Bush!
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:13 AM   #2554
Tubeman
Jubilation

100+ stations... I have the full list at work somewhere
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:46 PM   #2555
iampuking

Do you agree that they look terrible?
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:48 PM   #2556
Tubeman
Jubilation

I've not seen one in the flesh yet, or rather if I have I haven't noticed, which is probably a good sign
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:59 PM   #2557
iampuking

But 1m cubed, that's bigger than the crude projectors we got in school...
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2558
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
But 1m cubed, that's bigger than the crude projectors we got in school...
Yeah I'm a little confused why they need to be so big, must be because of the quality of the image projected. Projectors for Smartboards etc are pretty tiny, but I guess the image quality isn't good enough.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:09 PM   #2559
U Thant

Quote:
Direct, hence the closure of the Central Line station for upgrade, re-opneing in conjunction with the LOROL station later this year
Not really. They'll have entrances facing each other across the bus station. West Hampstead and Hammersmith are reasonable comparisons, though at least you won't have to venture on to a public street.

re: ads. They're using great big professional projectors as they need to be very bright to cope with how brightly lit tube platforms are (much brighter than the average office). They could certainly have come up with prettier mountings though.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM   #2560
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by U Thant View Post
Not really. They'll have entrances facing each other across the bus station. West Hampstead and Hammersmith are reasonable comparisons, though at least you won't have to venture on to a public street.
So like Vauxhall without the underground tunnel?
That counts as an interchange to me.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube