daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:59 AM   #2621
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Won't people's heads get in the way of the advertisements? The 95/96/09TS all have rather small windows..

They have advertisements like this on the Kyiv Metro I think.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #2622
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Won't people's heads get in the way of the advertisements? The 95/96/09TS all have rather small windows..

They have advertisements like this on the Kyiv Metro I think.
No, the projectors are mounted high up above peoples' heads and angled downwards.

They also cut out as a train approaches, so are not intended to be viewed from within trains, they're there for passengers waiting on platforms.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #2623
hegneypl
Registered User
 
hegneypl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Those new 'S stock' trains look like a larger version of the '2009 TS' trains...
I am pleased to see the new style of this stock. The closest system to me is Philadelphia, then PATH and then NY. Philly has some very strange lloking elevated stock. They look like a broad ice cream cone with a piece if aircraft carrier bolted on top. They are quite fast and new, but strange. PATH is getting the new PA5 series soon (they been seen testing) and they are very nicely done. I love the medium dark blue seats. Of course, NY's latest stock has very mellow and seren interior appointments. Their exterior is bland and blah. I am so amazed at LU units being kept so clean in white. Their whole look, any stock mind you, is patriotic and clean. It looks classy! Am I a subway nut or what?
hegneypl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #2624
hegneypl
Registered User
 
hegneypl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Those new 'S stock' trains look like a larger version of the '2009 TS' trains...
I have passed it onto my wife your being a Hammersmith native. She really misses Scotland and of course England. We want to go there so badly. That new "S" stock, wish we could see something as envelope-pushing as that over here. I actually just read 2 books about the larger series run by LU and regard those trains as U.S. Subway Worthy. I just dig variety and if you can make internal and visual improvements simultaneously, good!
hegneypl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #2625
hegneypl
Registered User
 
hegneypl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
Likes (Received): 8

Mis-naming your country.

Each time I discuss my travels to Scotland with my co-workers, they think Scotland is Ireland and the United Kingdom is somewhere in Africa.With my wife being British, she abhors the Irish connection. When she worked in Scotland for 10 years @ Raytheon, she was hammered daily about her father's british ancestry. It turns out her family lineage goes back to the 1100's to France anyway. So they are wrong in any sense. My point is something my wife had noticed and enlightened me about. We Americans are world stupid. Americans mostly do not know of any international news except the contrived war we are in. They have poor geography knowledge (even with our 50 states it can be intimidating) and know less about the world. My wife and I live 100 miles of NYC and go regularly. Many residents of this area are deathly afraid to go there. They are under the impression that you''' shot, mugged or raped in broad daylight. Craziness! I won't get any further into this subject as politics used to interest me and now it is a bore. I just want this country to mimck the UK and the EU as far as transit is concerned. Over the years, we have destroyed many, many rail lines in favor of 4-wheelers. Autos are now in control of everything and out of control at the same time. We need regional rail in national rail as well. Then we would pollute less, consume less, and be able to relax while someone else drives us. Hope i didn't bore you. Thanks for allowing me to share. I just want to ride your trains. Woo! Woo!
hegneypl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #2626
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegneypl View Post
Each time I discuss my travels to Scotland with my co-workers, they think Scotland is Ireland and the United Kingdom is somewhere in Africa.With my wife being British, she abhors the Irish connection. When she worked in Scotland for 10 years @ Raytheon, she was hammered daily about her father's british ancestry. It turns out her family lineage goes back to the 1100's to France anyway. So they are wrong in any sense. My point is something my wife had noticed and enlightened me about. We Americans are world stupid. Americans mostly do not know of any international news except the contrived war we are in. They have poor geography knowledge (even with our 50 states it can be intimidating) and know less about the world. My wife and I live 100 miles of NYC and go regularly. Many residents of this area are deathly afraid to go there. They are under the impression that you''' shot, mugged or raped in broad daylight. Craziness! I won't get any further into this subject as politics used to interest me and now it is a bore. I just want this country to mimck the UK and the EU as far as transit is concerned. Over the years, we have destroyed many, many rail lines in favor of 4-wheelers. Autos are now in control of everything and out of control at the same time. We need regional rail in national rail as well. Then we would pollute less, consume less, and be able to relax while someone else drives us. Hope i didn't bore you. Thanks for allowing me to share. I just want to ride your trains. Woo! Woo!
To be fair the naming of this country and its constituent nations is pretty confusing.

Britain + Ireland (as in the two islands) plus the smaller islands like The Hebrides, Orkneys, Isle of Man etc = The British Isles

Within these two islands are two countries, The United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland. The UK occupies all of Britain and the northern part of Ireland.

The UK is further subdivided into four nations: Northern Ireland (the northern part of Ireland) and Scotland, Wales & England which occupy Britain. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have devolved governments operating alongside Westminster. England itself has no dedicated government.

There's also the anomalies of the Isle of Man and Channel Islands who sit outside of any of these and whose status I don't really understand.

Pretty much all of the other nations, with the expection perhaps of half of Northern Ireland, dislike the English. There isn't much resentment between the Welsh, Scottish and Irish as they are united in their dislike of the English... Although as Northern Ireland is strongly divided along Catholic / Protestant lines and the bulk of Northern Ireland's Protestants are of Scottish descent I guess a Scot might get a hard time from Northern Irish Catholics.

Anyway, I digress... have some photos of the lovely CO/CP stock:





Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #2627
hegneypl
Registered User
 
hegneypl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
Likes (Received): 8

<a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/fijir/Old%20American%20Stock/?action=view&current=img_63224.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/fijir/Old%20American%20Stock/img_63224.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
This car has a slight resemblance to the CO?OP. It's an R110-A, built by Kawasaki as an experiemntal unit. It represented a test bed for the present models being built and run by the MTA. Strictly a developmental model.

Last edited by hegneypl; July 25th, 2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: wrong link selection
hegneypl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #2628
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

I'm sorry, but I see absolutely no resemblance to the CO/CP stock at all.

And although your sentiments are nice, I don't think LU trains are painted in white, blue and red because they are the colours of the UK flag, but more because they are the colours of the LU roundel. If that were the case then why were the Glasgow Subway cars painted orange? Or the Tyne & Wear Metro cars painted yellow (with green, red or blue as well)? Perhaps the LU roundel is red, white and blue because of their resemblance to the UK flag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
No, the projectors are mounted high up above peoples' heads and angled downwards.

They also cut out as a train approaches, so are not intended to be viewed from within trains, they're there for passengers waiting on platforms.
I was referring to potential tunnel advertisements, not platform ones!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #2629
hegneypl
Registered User
 
hegneypl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
Likes (Received): 8

OMG! Everywhere I go, I have to endure comedians. Of course they are the color of the flag. Good gawd. You don't see a resemblance in the size of these 2 carriages, sorry I wasted your time. You have to use your imagination. Then you have to visualize it. If you don't like my post, you don't have to respond to it. This yeasr, I have encountered more people on the net that actr like they have no idea what site they are on. I apologize for your not understanding me. I have the same problem with my wife sometimes.
hegneypl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #2630
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegneypl View Post
OMG! Everywhere I go, I have to endure comedians. Of course they are the color of the flag. Good gawd. You don't see a resemblance in the size of these 2 carriages, sorry I wasted your time. You have to use your imagination. Then you have to visualize it. If you don't like my post, you don't have to respond to it. This yeasr, I have encountered more people on the net that actr like they have no idea what site they are on. I apologize for your not understanding me. I have the same problem with my wife sometimes.
It's a discussion forum. People don't always agree.

How do they look similar? The trains are the same size, yes, like most other trains in the world. The headlights, body shape, window shape, colour, door size, door amount, window shape and design and even the bloody shoe gear look different, how an earth can you say they look similar? If you want me to use my imagination then just show me any train in the world, as they probably look more similar than what you have shown.

Why an earth would LU paint the trains the colours of the flag? Most people don't see the tube as a particularly patriotic affair, and the British are in general not the type to ram their country's colours down everyones throat, or to put flags anywhere they can. Plus, colours can be deceptive, both the US and France have the same colours in their flags.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #2631
U Thant
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 232
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegneypl View Post
OMG! Everywhere I go, I have to endure comedians. Of course they are the color of the flag.
Doubtful. The prototype version of the current livery was solely white and blue, and London Overground trains will be white, blue and orange.

I think you're viewing it through American eyes, where the flag is a national obsession in a way it just isn't in most other countries.
U Thant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #2632
MelbourneCity
Registered User
 
MelbourneCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,577
Likes (Received): 25

Yer, I think it's just co-incidence that the LU livery shares the same colours as the Union Jack.

The British are not known for their flag waving patriotism, unlike the Americans.

How often are heritage units run on the Underground?

I think I'm fast developing an obsession with the tube!
__________________
Vires Acquirit Eundo

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #2633
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

A 38TS ran on the Northern line not long ago, in fact I posted about it on the thread in Page 132.

Here is a picture of it alongside the current rolling stock running on the Northern line.

image hosted on flickr
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #2634
MelbourneCity
Registered User
 
MelbourneCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,577
Likes (Received): 25

Ah yes, I remember seeing that.
Is it a regular thing? As in, a few times a year?
How hard is it to get tickets for the special trips?
__________________
Vires Acquirit Eundo

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #2635
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

I don't know about that, sorry. Tubeman might know.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #2636
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides
 
elfabyanos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,814
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by U Thant View Post
I think you're viewing it through American eyes, where the flag is a national obsession in a way it just isn't in most other countries.
Yeah, if I went to someone's house and they had a Union Jack in the window I would consider not going in. Its quite embarrassing.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #2637
Justme
Gotta lite?
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manchester (Forecast: Rain)
Posts: 4,952
Likes (Received): 781

The Union Jack is quite often displayed on other items though. I see it everywhere even here in Germany, on clothes, cars, etc. Though it's often displayed with humourous intentions (like boxershorts) rather than patriotic. It is very uncommon to see Union Jacks flying outside private homes, though during major sporting events you will see English flags on home's and cars, but these are usually removed shortly afterwards.

But let's not be too hard on hegneypl for his association to this maybe being patriotic. We all have our own cultural differences and there are just as many mistakes British people make when they go overseas as Americans or any other national.

@hegneypl, I hope you stick around on this forum, you'll get some great idea's for your trip over next year.
__________________
I'm doing my bit to save bandwidth by deleting my signature
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #2638
Martin S
Registered User
 
Martin S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 10,235
Likes (Received): 3156

Is it not just the fact that white is a universal background colour and red and blue are the most dramatic primary colours? After all the flags of the UK, USA, France and Holland all feature red white and blue and they are probably the most memorable for that reason. Then again, where I live red and blue are very emotive colours, as they are in Manchester and amongst Chelsea and Arsenal supporters.
__________________
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #2639
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
The Union Jack is quite often displayed on other items though. I see it everywhere even here in Germany, on clothes, cars, etc. Though it's often displayed with humourous intentions (like boxershorts) rather than patriotic. It is very uncommon to see Union Jacks flying outside private homes, though during major sporting events you will see English flags on home's and cars, but these are usually removed shortly afterwards.

But let's not be too hard on hegneypl for his association to this maybe being patriotic. We all have our own cultural differences and there are just as many mistakes British people make when they go overseas as Americans or any other national.

@hegneypl, I hope you stick around on this forum, you'll get some great idea's for your trip over next year.
I think the Union Jack is also commonly used for it's stylistic qualities, even if i'm being objective I still think that it is one of the most striking flags in the world.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #2640
hegneypl
Registered User
 
hegneypl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
It's a discussion forum. People don't always agree.

How do they look similar? The trains are the same size, yes, like most other trains in the world. The headlights, body shape, window shape, colour, door size, door amount, window shape and design and even the bloody shoe gear look different, how an earth can you say they look similar? If you want me to use my imagination then just show me any train in the world, as they probably look more similar than what you have shown.

Why an earth would LU paint the trains the colours of the flag? Most people don't see the tube as a particularly patriotic affair, and the British are in general not the type to ram their country's colours down everyones throat, or to put flags anywhere they can. Plus, colours can be deceptive, both the US and France have the same colours in their flags.
I am quite aware that there will not be 100% agreement on anything punched into a forum. In my mind's eye, these trains share a similarity. If you don't see it or share my view, fine. It's over and done with. As for the patriotism factor. New York trains have flag decals on the front, rear and sides of their cars. That's what they choose to do, and it's been that way ever since 9/11. Although I personally was born on the Fourth Of July, Indepenence Day here in America, I do not assume what people feel worldwide for their country's flag will be the same. If the LU livery is w/r/b for any other reason than the color of a flag, then I stand corrected. If you want to disagree, I only ask for decorum. I was not raised by animals. I know good manners when I read them. My bottom line is that I greatly admire the way that the LU keeps it's rolling stock, inside and out. Although I know the only from photographs. The trains in NY's system are quite utilitarian. The stainless steel is a bore. They have used colors in the past, many of them and none would be considered patriotic. So, to quell the very idea that I think it is a worldwide practice to paint subways trains with the colors of their flag is an assumption I had regarding the LU. The one things that bothers me in your response is the anit-American undertone I felt. I am not one to brag about the current political state of my country. On the contrary, I am embarraassd by it. I live here though, and what happens here does effect me. For goodness sakes, we are talking about mass-transit. Let's not get the idea a flag has to be waved to prove who has a better system. I admire the LU system greatly. I was born in New York City, and have experience with that system, period. I am not anti-UK. I met my wife (who is of British-Scottish decent) when she lived in Scotland. She was born in Hendon. Our family lives in both countries, as well as here in the States.

Last edited by hegneypl; July 27th, 2008 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Addidtional thoughts
hegneypl no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
london, railways, tube

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium