daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #3521
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Not sure about a Watford - Aylesbury Link; this would be possible with the Croxley Link... where did you hear about it?
Just saw it on Wiki... Interesting; yes it is a proposed service using the Croxley Link and a little-used chord between the Metropolitan Line Watford branch and the Metropolitan / Chiltern main line.

Makes the case for the Croxley Link even more compelling, and would interestingly require diesel traction to appear on the new combined Watford Met / Croxley Green route for the Aylesbury service.

I hope that Watford High Street to Watford Junction can take it, because there'd be at least 3 services using that section then (LU Metropolitan Line, Chiltern to Aylesbury, and the current Watford DC and / or LU Bakerloo Line).
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #3522
sotonsi

IIRC, the Watford-Aylesbury service is planned to be one, possibly two, trains an hour. The Bakerloo won't need to be more than 4tph, I think the 4 platforms at Watford Junction could take ~12tph. I guess if the Bakerloo was a higher frequency (eg 6tph), then having the Met alternate between Watford Met and Watford Junction would work (IIRC there are plans to keep the Met station open, originally with extended Chesham shuttles, but that's not going to happen now they will be through trains, so another solution is needed).

What's interesting is the amount these proposed services are turning Aylesbury into a hub. 2tph to Marylebone via Am, 2 towards Marylebone via HW (not all getting there), 2tph to MK (extension of the via Am trains? - I prefer linking HW to MK, as MK doesn't need a slow route to London, but a route that gets there via HW would work better - gives the little villages direct London service, plus also gives HW-MK regional services) and 2tph to Watford.

A Chiltern service to Watford Junction would be well patronised by people from Amersham, etc (I think I've taken the train from Amersham to Watford once, just because the Met station isn't good for the centre, and you have to change at Moor Park - been driven lots of times and it's quicker, despite the rubbish roads). I'm not so sure about Aylesbury traffic to Watford (and less going the other way), but it's a good regional link, and works to feed both big towns with commuter and leisure traffic (though the price of tickets to Aylesbury would have to come down for Aylesbury to get people coming from Amersham, due to being more expensive than Harrow, Watford, Finchley Road, etc). Having the Watford 'North Curve' service ending at Amersham (and thus electrified) might be better than going to Aylesbury - there's merits to both options, and problems with both.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #3523
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
What's happening with the proposed link between Croxley and Watford Junction?
http://londonreconnections.blogspot....%20rail%20link
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #3524
Tubeman
Jubilation

Had a presentation from the Chief Engineering Officer yesterday so I'll try to recall some of the timescales he mentioned...

- First 2009 Stock in passenger service July 2009 (late at night)

- Delivery of first S Stock for testing on LU infrastructure September 2009

- Jubilee Line switch-over to ATO between November 2009 & January 2010

- Tendering for 1973 stock replacement early 2010

'Seltrac' ATO system will begin installation on the Northern Line as soon as the Jubilee upgrade is complete.

New central signalling centre for entire SSR network has started construction at Hammersmith (replacing 2 control centres and numerous signal boxes).

...So the upgrades are all systems go (although the Jubilee Line is looking like it might be a bit delayed), sadly 50 station upgrades have been shelved in order to safeguard the line upgrades.
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3525
Jang0

Thanks for the update Tubeman.

Interesting to know what the insiders are saying
Jang0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #3526
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

I saw Earl's Court Tube station tonight with the refurbished roof, it's beautiful but I think like with the trainshed at St Pancras, the lighting is too bright and too white.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #3527
Tubeman
Jubilation

Haven't seen it myself yet... Just grateful the scaffolding's finally down!
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #3528
Tubeman
Jubilation

Me on BBC Radio London this morning, go forward 37 minutes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ss_30_04_2009/

Celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Jubilee Line's opening tomorrow
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #3529
Minato ku

Even if the most famous section of Jubilee line is the extention of 1999.
When the extention will be 10 years old ?
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:09 AM   #3530
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Even if the most famous section of Jubilee line is the extention of 1999.
When the extention will be 10 years old ?
Stratford to North Greenwich opened 14.05.99
North Greenwich to Bermondsey 17.09.99
Bermondesy to Waterloo 24.09.99
Waterloo to Green Park 20.11.99

I guess the final date is the 'true' date of the extension, as it's when the old line was joined to the new... So 20.11.09 for the 10th anniversary
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM   #3531
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Me on BBC Radio London this morning, go forward 37 minutes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ss_30_04_2009/

Celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Jubilee Line's opening tomorrow
Well done Tubeman, despite the presenters.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM   #3532
Winterstar

Piccadily ATO?

Hello Tubeman,

Do you know if there is a plan for the Piccadilly line to be upgraded to ATO, and if so, when it is scheduled for?

Thanks!

Last edited by Winterstar; May 3rd, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: To correct spelling
Winterstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM   #3533
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterstar View Post
Hello Tubeman,

Do you know if there is a plan for the Piccadilly line to be upgraded to ATO, and if so, when it is scheduled for?

Thanks!
Hopefully 2014: the new rolling stock is being ordered early next year with signalling upgrades to ATO to coincide with delivery. Although in the current climate, slippage is to be expected.
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #3534
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Why does refurbishment work at Warren Street and Green Park seem to take forever?

At Warren Street I thought they were only trying to replace some lights and the escalator but it's been about a year since the roof's taken off... and it looks all the same still... and now they have a notice which says it's going to take longer than expected?

Green Park - well... the untiled section between Vic Line and Picc Line bugs me a bit. I cannot imagine what tourists would think about the tube :P
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #3535
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
Why does refurbishment work at Warren Street and Green Park seem to take forever?

At Warren Street I thought they were only trying to replace some lights and the escalator but it's been about a year since the roof's taken off... and it looks all the same still... and now they have a notice which says it's going to take longer than expected?

Green Park - well... the untiled section between Vic Line and Picc Line bugs me a bit. I cannot imagine what tourists would think about the tube :P

I'm not entirely sure; they're both JNP (and therefore Tubelines) stations and so the collapse of Metronet shouldn't have affected their refurbishments. Sometimes once a refurb commences, unexpected obstacles are discovered... But I honestly don't know the specifics for these two.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #3536
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post

Everything seems to take forever in the UK.

For example they are doing reburbishment work at Notting Hill Gate, well actually they have been doing it for 2 years, but guess it stalled because of Metronet. But anyway now they are in full swing and have signs saying it will be ready by late 2010, ie about 18 months from now. It has me beat because in the space of about 4 weeks that have managed to more or less strip the tiles on the central line platforms, so putting new ones up along with all the other work shouldn't take that long you would think. More so because a lot of the new cable trunking has been installed over the past 2 years.

The other thing that has surprised me at Notting Hill Gate is they are reburbishing the stairways that lead from the concourse tunnel to the street. There are 4 of them and they have signs saying each will be closed for 3 months. 3 months for what? I mean to say they are just concrete stairs and tiled walls, and unlike inside the station you would think they could work on these during daylight hours.

I just hope they don't do a half arsed job like Holborn. I cannot beleive they have put in new roof panels on the escalator tunnel, but only down the side, but have kept the orginal middle panels and the lights (unless they plan to come back to replace them later). It looks hidous. Also they have a new white tiled roof in the ticket hall should look great, except they couldn't be bothered to clean it, so there are builders handmarks and dirt already all over them. If they cannot clean the things when installed what hope is there it will be done regulary.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #3537
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Most of the refurbs look shit anyway. Plain white tiles everywhere. It worked on the Central line because thats what it originally looked like, but on the Victoria line? Blasphemy!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #3538
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Most of the refurbs look shit anyway. Plain white tiles everywhere. It worked on the Central line because thats what it originally looked like, but on the Victoria line? Blasphemy!
Quite true indeed. Adding a splash of colour and interest shouldn't have cost much more that plain white tiles.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #3539
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Thanks Tubeman anyway for replying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Quite true indeed. Adding a splash of colour and interest shouldn't have cost much more that plain white tiles.
To be quite honest, the tiles look like those in WCs...
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #3540
Overground

Likes (Received): 125

Thanks Tubeman for the reply and Croxley info. Also thanks to Acemcbuller for that blog link. Good up-to-date info there.
Overground no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube