daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2009, 01:42 PM   #3561
ChrisH

Likes (Received): 12

Shepherd's Bush figures will become clear once the annual usage statistics are released, which won't be for a while yet...
ChrisH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM   #3562
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Questions!

1- Can one get the tourist Oyster card with less than £10 on it?

2- Please confirm that I did this correctly.
We will be flying to London (LHR) and arriving in the morning and flying back the next day in the afternoon, meaning we will have a bit over 24 hrs in London. I have calculated that:
- it is cheaper to buy an Oystercard and then get a one way ticket into the city, get a 24hr travelcard for zones 1-2, and then get another one way ticket to the airport the next day
than
-buying a 24hr travel card for zones 1-6 upon arrival and then a one way ticket to the airport the next day, since our travel card would have expired by then

Correct?

Only annoying thing is if we have tons of £ left on the Oyster cards, as I don't know when I might use the money on it (99% of the time I am in London I get a travel card). Do they ever expire (the tourist ones)?
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM   #3563
sotonsi

there's no such thing as a 24 hour travelcard. A travelcard is valid for a day, which on LU end at something like 5am (just before the earliest trains the next day).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM   #3564
Dan

Argh, right, I forgot about that!

I don't know how much i will use the tube the next day, I have to leave decently early, so maybe the best thing would be to get a Tourist Oyster card, single ticket one way to the city, day travel card zones 1-2, and then just use the Oyster card with single tickets the next day...

Would still love to know if they expire or not tho.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #3565
sotonsi

Singles on Oyster PAYG are capped, so you don't spend more than 50p less than the equivalent travelcard.

An off-peak zone 1-6 cap is 30p cheaper than a 1-6 off peak fare and a 1-2 cap, so if you are completely off-peak then it's silly to get a paper ticket/another Oyster for the non-Heathrow journeys.

If you arrive at Heathrow and travel inwards before 0930, then the peak 1-6 single is £3.80, the off-peak 1-2 travelcard is £5.60 and the peak 1-6 cap is £14.30, so the oyster/paper option is better. This probably has more bearing with your second day, so for the sake of completeness, a peak 1-2 travelcard is £7.20 and an off-peak 1-6 single is 2.20, so again a hybrid is better. Two Oyster cards, one for peak journeys either in central London, or out to Heathrow, the other for off-peak journeys of the other nature would be the best option. However you will really have to remember which one is which, and also keep them separate.

The money doesn't run out IIRC (either that, or I've lost 7 pounds as I've only used mine once and got annoyed that it cost me a lot more than travelcard with railcard (before the days when you could add it), doesn't like my habit of bagging bits of lines I haven't done/seeing new infrastructure due to time limits, u-turns, taking a long time to get between two points and desires to go on NR).

NB all single prices assume using Oyster
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:27 PM   #3566
Dan

Perfect! I had no idea about the cap -- how annoying!! I have been using travelcards instead during all my previous trips, and now I see an Oyster card would have been better...

We will arrive after the peak time ends and leave after the peak time ends, so I guess just one card would be needed (for each of us of course).
Old June 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #3567
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

You also need to remember that you can cash an Oyster card in. So no issue buying it with 10 pounds credit, use it (the system will cap costs anyway) then return it when you leave. You get all the money left on your card, plus most if not all the cost of the card.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #3568
WiltshireSTFC
The Glory Hunter

Likes (Received): 0

You going on strike next week Tubeman?

Considering the extortionate wages people on the tube earn anyway... why?
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #3569
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltshireSTFC View Post
You going on strike next week Tubeman?

Considering the extortionate wages people on the tube earn anyway... why?
Nope

1) I'm non-union
2) Even when I was in a union, it wasn't the RMT (ASLEF then TSSA)

There's a limit to what I'm prepared to say on a public forum anyway, because of my position, suffice to say not even a majority of LU RMT members voted 'yes', let alone anywhere near a majority of Tube employees. Like any democracy it's a majority of those who voted who need to vote 'yes' for action to be taken. I think about 40% of RMT members voted, of whom 80% voted 'yes', which means that this action will be taken with a mandate of only around 30% of RMT's LU membership. Off the top of my head this equates to around 15% of LU's workforce.

Trouble is for the customer, if you take out the right people (Train and track maintenance workers, control room staff) you can ensure no trains run at all. You only need to remove a small % of Tube staff to bring services to a halt.

The vast majority of LU employees are decent, hardworking people who are well aware that in a climate where many others are having pay freezes, shorter working weeks, pay cuts or even losing their jobs they are very lucky. Many RMT members can't afford to lose 2 day's pay, but if that's the case more the fool them for not voting 'no' in the ballot.

For what it's worth, RMT are coming back to the table tomorrow so hopefully the strike will be off.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #3570
Overground

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Wait until July then... The second edition is much better!
I really look forward to your book. Will I be able to get it delivered to Canada? I was on the publishing site but I couldn't see anything, perhaps missing the fine print somewhere.
Overground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #3571
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
I really look forward to your book. Will I be able to get it delivered to Canada? I was on the publishing site but I couldn't see anything, perhaps missing the fine print somewhere.
I'm sure Ian Allan do deliver abroad (for a price), maybe Amazon UK too?

If you get stuck I am happy to send you a copy, I might even sign it for you too

I was thinking about selling signed copies via ebay anyway, although I can't see there being enormous demand, you never know!
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #3572
Northsider

Likes (Received): 121

What an informative thread! Thanks for this Tubeman!
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #3573
Tubeman
Jubilation

No problem
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #3574
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

Was there a tube station at Kennington Cross when the Northern line was first built? If so, when did they close it? And what building was it in?
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #3575
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda View Post
Was there a tube station at Kennington Cross when the Northern line was first built? If so, when did they close it? And what building was it in?
No, the Northern Line doesn't pass under Kennington Cross (that's where Kennington Lane and Kennington Road cross, right?)... It runs straight under Kennington Park Road, to the east.
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #3576
svast

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Singles on Oyster PAYG are capped, so you don't spend more than 50p less than the equivalent travelcard.

An off-peak zone 1-6 cap is 30p cheaper than a 1-6 off peak fare and a 1-2 cap, so if you are completely off-peak then it's silly to get a paper ticket/another Oyster for the non-Heathrow journeys.

If you arrive at Heathrow and travel inwards before 0930, then the peak 1-6 single is £3.80, the off-peak 1-2 travelcard is £5.60 and the peak 1-6 cap is £14.30, so the oyster/paper option is better. This probably has more bearing with your second day, so for the sake of completeness, a peak 1-2 travelcard is £7.20 and an off-peak 1-6 single is 2.20, so again a hybrid is better. Two Oyster cards, one for peak journeys either in central London, or out to Heathrow, the other for off-peak journeys of the other nature would be the best option. However you will really have to remember which one is which, and also keep them separate.

The money doesn't run out IIRC (either that, or I've lost 7 pounds as I've only used mine once and got annoyed that it cost me a lot more than travelcard with railcard (before the days when you could add it), doesn't like my habit of bagging bits of lines I haven't done/seeing new infrastructure due to time limits, u-turns, taking a long time to get between two points and desires to go on NR).

NB all single prices assume using Oyster
Why two cards, doesn't I have a max price for the day? Or was I robbed by LT on my latest visit i may. Thought I read all about cards and prices then.
svast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #3577
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by svast View Post
Why two cards, doesn't I have a max price for the day? Or was I robbed by LT on my latest visit i may. Thought I read all about cards and prices then.
If travelling from zone 6 to central London in peak hours, going around zones 1 and 2 during off-peak hours and then not going back to zone 6 that day, then a peak single from zone 6 to zone 1 and an off-peak zone 1+2 cap is cheaper than a peak zone 1-6 cap. Likewise if you are staying in central London and travel about zones 1+2 before 0930, and then go to Heathrow off-peak, it works out cheaper to have a peak zone 1+2 cap and an off-peak zone 1-6 single.

If you don't stay over in Central London, or do any peak journeys then one Oyster is enough. I guess that most people for whom the former is true, the latter won't be, so it's a rare anomaly.

Here's the prices:

Arrival Day:
peak 1-6 single £3.80 + off-peak zone 1-2 cap £5.60 = £9.40
peak 1-6 cap £14.30
saving £4.90

Departure Day:
peak 1-2 cap £7.20 + off-peak zone 1-6 single £2.20 = £9.40
peak 1-6 cap £14.30
saving £4.90

The same prices for arrival and departure days seem to be a coincidence.
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #3578
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Video footage of the new S Stock for the Sub-Surface lines...

iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #3579
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 55

Tubeman, how many cars are there for each of the lines?
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #3580
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LONDONER View Post
Tubeman, how many cars are there for each of the lines?
Metropolitan, Victoria, Central = 8
Bakerloo = 7
Waterloo & City = 4
All the rest = 6

It's not that straightforward though, as different stocks have different length cars e.g. 6 cars of C Stock = 5 cars D Stock

Tags
london, railways, tube