daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #3661
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

Tubeman how do you feel of the electrification of the great western mainline about time it happened is what i think of it.

i knew that the GWML has always been ready for Electrification since it was built with the mind of fast travel so with it being electrifed it can go much faster since there is no Grade Crossings and such.

also i wish the midland mainline did get electrified as well but it can happen as well along with the Chiltern Main Line as well since Electric trains are much more efficent and faster then diesel trains.

is anyone else excitied for more electrification in british railways today?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #3662
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
Tubeman how do you feel of the electrification of the great western mainline about time it happened is what i think of it.

i knew that the GWML has always been ready for Electrification since it was built with the mind of fast travel so with it being electrifed it can go much faster since there is no Grade Crossings and such.

also i wish the midland mainline did get electrified as well but it can happen as well along with the Chiltern Main Line as well since Electric trains are much more efficent and faster then diesel trains.

is anyone else excitied for more electrification in british railways today?
Yes very much excited, I just hope they hurry up and do it... It'll still fall short of full electrification of the GWR main lines and there'll therefore still be a lot of diesels under the wires into Paddington though. I'd love to see Paddington's breathtaking roof get the treatment that St Pancras' has, but with so many diesels still belching fumes out it'd get grimy again very quickly.

The MML is just in-filling really; the wires stretch to Bedford and there's wires again in Leeds, so it's logical to fill in the gap through the east Midlands and South Yorkshire.

I just jope its not all talk though...
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #3663
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

What about extending the Victoria Line past Brixton?
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #3664
streetquark

Likes (Received): 4

I think you know what the answer to that would be!

I do think that it could be justified if/when other tubes/sub-surface are extended, more flying junctions, extra tracks and simplified services put on NR, one or two NR extensions sent through the west end and possibly a high-frequency orbital to spread the load.
streetquark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #3665
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda View Post
What about extending the Victoria Line past Brixton?
All for it; terminal loop to Herne Hill. I'd have two platforms at Herne Hill to allow dwell time to be built in for service recovery.
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #3666
Starscraper
Ouch

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
All for it; terminal loop to Herne Hill. I'd have two platforms at Herne Hill to allow dwell time to be built in for service recovery.
Talking of that my Mother once said that there were plans to end the Victoria line in Croydon, was there ever any truth in this?

If it it was to go to Croydon I would sent it via Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, West Norwood, then a station in Upper Norwood, then Thornton Heath before finishing at West Croydon.
Starscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #3667
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Surely talk of extending tube lines etc is fanciful at the current time. There is a political vacuum in London; Boris is sitting with his thumb up his arse doing very little, and only removes it (for brief periods) when David Cameron tells him he is allowed to.

There is a big question mark over Crossrail, which has already been given the go-ahead - apparently. The chances of southern extensions to existing tube lines are approximately nil.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #3668
streetquark

Likes (Received): 4

Stimulus is possible, so is some private interest to push something on, i.e. Northern to Battersea. Also we (and the world) may not be in an economic hole for too many years.
streetquark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:56 AM   #3669
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscraper View Post
Talking of that my Mother once said that there were plans to end the Victoria line in Croydon, was there ever any truth in this?

If it it was to go to Croydon I would sent it via Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, West Norwood, then a station in Upper Norwood, then Thornton Heath before finishing at West Croydon.
Yes its true; Brixton was never intended to be the southern terminus. I'm not entirely sure of the route to Croydon though... It would be logical for it to follow the A23 (i.e. Streatham, Norbury, Thornton Heath Pond etc), but the way the platforms at Brixton point eastwards suggest it would have continued south-east to Herne Hill rather than south under Brixton Hill.
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:59 AM   #3670
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Surely talk of extending tube lines etc is fanciful at the current time. There is a political vacuum in London; Boris is sitting with his thumb up his arse doing very little, and only removes it (for brief periods) when David Cameron tells him he is allowed to.

There is a big question mark over Crossrail, which has already been given the go-ahead - apparently. The chances of southern extensions to existing tube lines are approximately nil.
No doubt, but a single track loop Brixton - Herne Hill - Brixton has an operational benefit to the rest of the line in that it removes conflicting train movements at Brixton and the constraint of 2 platforms there, plus the absolute battering the scissors crossover there receives. It might even be arguably vital for an increase in Victoria Line tph.
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:02 PM   #3671
Plaistow

Likes (Received): 0

At some point, perhaps in the 50s or 60s, there was talk of a mono-rail from New Addington to East Croydon with a tunnel into central London. The locals got the X130 (X for express) bus instead, and many, many years later Tramlink to Croydon.
Plaistow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM   #3672
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaistow View Post
At some point, perhaps in the 50s or 60s, there was talk of a mono-rail from New Addington to East Croydon with a tunnel into central London. The locals got the X130 (X for express) bus instead, and many, many years later Tramlink to Croydon.
Well we obviously couldn't have locals escaping too easily!
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:57 AM   #3673
chris.haynes

Likes (Received): 19

South-East

hi guys could this happen in the future, i live in the southeast and i thought i might draw up potential connections?

chris.haynes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM   #3674
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

The only thing that doesn't make much sense is North Greenwhich to Eltham as a Jubilee line branch. It would make the Jubilee too complex. Considering you have the Victoria going to Eltham why not run that up to North Greenwich?
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM   #3675
CharlieP
Tax avoider

Likes (Received): 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
The only thing that doesn't make much sense is North Greenwhich to Eltham as a Jubilee line branch. It would make the Jubilee too complex. Considering you have the Victoria going to Eltham why not run that up to North Greenwich?
That would make Charlton to Central London a pretty circuitous journey!

My question about the map - why not extend the Bakerloo all the way to Lewisham?
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM   #3676
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

This would make the Victoria ridiculously busy. I would do more with the Bakerloo and Northern, which have capacity to spare, and less with the Victoria, which should just go to Herne Hill in a loop. Let the Northern take over that route to Eltham from there, for example.

That Jubilee line extension makes no sense anymore I think. It probably used to back when it was being planned, but nowadays Canary Wharf - Stratford is so busy that you can't just split it up at Greenwich anymore. Nice map though! I'll see if I can draw something like that myself.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3677
chris.haynes

made some changes ...

also note the extended DLR to victoria ...

i removed kidbrooke as the alignment in real world is too awkward, i have tried to follow main roads in the new areas for easier construction ...

for the eltham route should it be part of the northern or bakerloo ?
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM   #3678
chris.haynes

also if anyone would like to collaborate in the map creation email me and i can send you a link to a free online meeting room where can see and contribute in real time if you wish
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM   #3679
CharlieP
Tax avoider

Likes (Received): 1980

Slight nit-pick - it's "Holborn", not "Holden"
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM   #3680
chris.haynes

oops