daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #3841
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:

Night the rush-hour turned raunchy: Sound of couple having sex broadcast over station speakers
By Daily Mail Reporter
7th November 2009

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-speakers.html

The sound of a couple making love was broadcast over a loudspeaker system at a station on Thursday.

Dozens of commuters used to hearing announcements about leaves on the line listened to the unusual message during evening rush hour at West Ham, East London, on Thursday.
Transport for London confirmed that a broadcast of 'sexual noises' was heard through the speakers.

It said the sounds had nothing to do with any of its staff and came from outside Tube property. Receptionist Laura O'Connor, 28, who was heading home on the District line, said: 'We stopped at West Ham at about 6.45pm. As the doors opened, I heard strange noises over the loudspeaker. 'It was definitely a couple doing it there and then. He was grunting loudly and she sounded like she was having a great time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...on-tannoy.html

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #3842
pneuma

Likes (Received): 0

Great thread, tubeman. Thanks for doing this.

I've always wondered about the actual size of tube station complexes in central London. Some seem so huge that I wonder if they're actually located directly next to each other, if you include walkways between lines. Do you know if there is an illustration anywhere showing how the tube stations are layed out in relation to one another (something like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/b...lim/ltmonu.jpg only including more stations). THanks!
pneuma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #3843
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

Wow thanks for both those responses! It is interesting to read about all this stuff and hearing differing opinions etc.

It is a shame, I think, that the platform edge doors won't be rolled out. It makes the whole thing seem a lot more professional.

As for the cross rail, I think it is my fear that it won't have the same 'feel' as the tube and that it will be more of a struggle I guess. These fears are completely unfounded, but although the tube won't be able to have air-con in the foreseeable future, will Crossrail?

Thanks again (to both of you!), brilliant job!
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #3844
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Crossrail will come with aircon, peds and oyster compatibility from the start - don't worry.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #3845
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
As for the cross rail, I think it is my fear that it won't have the same 'feel' as the tube and that it will be more of a struggle I guess. These fears are completely unfounded, but although the tube won't be able to have air-con in the foreseeable future, will Crossrail?
Of course it won't have the same feel as the tube, because it isn't a tube line. It is a mainline railway line running east west through the cities of Westminster and London. Thameslink is an short example of what Crossrail is all about.

Crossrail will be ideal for those coming into town from the East and the West but for around town the tube will more than likely still be the much better option.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #3846
streetquark

Likes (Received): 4

More of an express suburban, not really sure London's had an equivalent before though. It would certainly seem more Underground if it was branded as such.
streetquark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #3847
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetquark View Post
More of an express suburban, not really sure London's had an equivalent before though. It would certainly seem more Underground if it was branded as such.
Does it really matter? It's a train running in deep tunnels under London with frequencies every couple of minutes and all integrated with the Underground system? When I go to Paris I don't think, "Oh, dear, it's the RER, doesn't feel like a metro at all" when I'm pushing to get on an overcrowded RER train. Fact is, one RER train taking 4 minutes between Lazare and Gare du Nord is a lot quicker than seven stations and a change of trains on the older metro system. London will benefit greatly from Crossrail (and please give it a better name).
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #3848
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

I've always wondered about the actual size of tube station complexes in central London. Some seem so huge that I wonder if they're actually located directly next to each other, if you include walkways between lines. Do you know if there is an illustration anywhere showing how the tube stations are layed out in relation to one another (something like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/b...lim/ltmonu.jpg only including more stations). THanks!
There are very few in the public realm, although they all exist somewhere within LU Head office I'm sure.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #3849
streetquark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
Does it really matter? It's a train running in deep tunnels under London with frequencies every couple of minutes and all integrated with the Underground system? When I go to Paris I don't think, "Oh, dear, it's the RER, doesn't feel like a metro at all" when I'm pushing to get on an overcrowded RER train. Fact is, one RER train taking 4 minutes between Lazare and Gare du Nord is a lot quicker than seven stations and a change of trains on the older metro system. London will benefit greatly from Crossrail (and please give it a better name).
It's actually rather nice to have a different branded network and the Crossrail spider looks quite good, more noticeable than Thameslink IMO. What with DLR, Tramlink, LOROL and the S-class NR-style trains on the sub-surface things are getting blurred anyway but you still need networks for operational purposes. Meanwhile a good branding for Crossrail and we could eventually have a whole network of lines - ok costly but they are desperately trying to keep costs down and if Crossrail 1 is the flagship line then maybe other lines will follow that aren't on such a grand scale. That would still have to be compatible with the existing Crossrail 'One' line unless but it seems Thameslink will be largely anyway, and that's very much existing infrastructure. Equally, Crossrail compatibility means a Thameslink 2 with new infrastructure could work and the two networks could be branded similarly. They could even be combined like the sub0surface ones are i.e. making a link between Blackfriars terminus and the Smithfield curve and joining the City Widened lines west of Moorgate to Crossrail heading for Liverpool Street. Add in a Crossrail 2 and a lot of the excess branches are taken off Thameslink.

I prefer the Crossrail name to Thameslink which is really bad corporate speak and not particularly successful as a brand considering how long it's been around (branding is of course important - look at NR). I think if the two were combined as one network under the Crossrail banner then it would be a very suitable name. Each line would need differentiation - DLR needs it IMO too. So do you go with names a la London Underground or just numbers? I'd go for numbers. Alternatively, Crossrail as is could be simply Cross Line and Thameslink, Thames Line, as per the tube.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #3850
Tubeman
Jubilation

Yeah I like the 'Crossrail' name... or maybe I'm just very used to it, after hearing it for the past 20 years. Certainly feels weird actually seeing demolition with 'Crossrail' branded hoardings now (I'll still believe the actual rail link when I see it though!).
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #3851
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Yeah I like the 'Crossrail' name... or maybe I'm just very used to it, after hearing it for the past 20 years. Certainly feels weird actually seeing demolition with 'Crossrail' branded hoardings now (I'll still believe the actual rail link when I see it though!).
Any chance of posting construction pictures? We had a very active forum documenting every step of the Vancouver Canada Line construction. Would love to see the same for Crossrail.
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #3852
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

I've always thought connecting Cannon Street with Great Northern from Moorgate was a good idea for Crossrail 2; It would only need one completely new station at Bank/City and thus would be relatively cheap compared to Crossrail 1. However, there may be issues with the vaults of the Bank of England, and the numerous other tunnels in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

There used to be a website with several station maps on it, but I can't find it anymore.

Anyway, there are some of Kings Cross (after the northern ticket hall opens later this month), Green Park and another of the Bank-Monument complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail
Any chance of posting construction pictures? We had a very active forum documenting every step of the Vancouver Canada Line construction. Would love to see the same for Crossrail.
There are threads for Crossrail in the UK subforum.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...ight=crossrail

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...ight=crossrail
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #3853
streetquark

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
I've always thought connecting Cannon Street with Great Northern from Moorgate was a good idea for Crossrail 2; It would only need one completely new station at Bank/City and thus would be relatively cheap compared to Crossrail 1. However, there may be issues with the vaults of the Bank of England, and the numerous other tunnels in that area.
I would guess the main two problems are gradient and buildings in the way. If you were to replace Canon Street viaduct with a tunnel these issues wouldn't be so obvious. If you could move the station onto the viaduct, like the new Blackfriars, you might have enough length north of it to descend into tunnel and avoid the surface buildings to the north (assuming you could also avoid any foundations, rivers, tunnels, underground stories etc.).

At Moorgate the Great Northern City is now blocked from southward extension by Crossrail but if the extension were to be made from further north and swing to the west of Moorgate station (assuming again it missed underground obstacles) it would avoid the Crossrail station and also the Bank area. It could still be close enough to Moorgate and Bank for interchange (if space for a suterranean station were possible) and just about swing round to meet Canon Street.

Personally I think swinging round a bit more to face east between Bank and Canon Street might be possible, then presumably onto Fenchurch Street. If the station could be replaced by one at Tower Gateway then it would have enough distance to descend into tunnel before the existing Fenchurch Street concourse and head off west between Bank and monument/Canon Street avoiding the skyscrapers and bank vaults to the north. You still have all sorts of underground obstacles to avoid, but it looks a bit easier than trying to squeeze into Canon Street.
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #3854
sactonmou

I accept with information:The Wimbledon and Richmond/Ealing branches have to share full capacity with the Ealing and Richmond branches being further divided .
Simply not enough routes to serve these destinations. Richmond in particular because the NLL has very limited capacity due to freight (even if you could send a few ex-Richmonds east at Old Oak alongside the GWML, perhaps making Richmond a Crossrail destination) - at last Ealing BDY is well served by CL, CR (soon) etc.
With the Circle service taking capacity both main District branches out of Earl's Court need other lines to join them unless a significant number terminate at HSK or South Ken, hence Chelney south of Parson's Green.
sactonmou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #3855
streetquark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactonmou View Post
I accept with information:The Wimbledon and Richmond/Ealing branches have to share full capacity with the Ealing and Richmond branches being further divided .
Simply not enough routes to serve these destinations. Richmond in particular because the NLL has very limited capacity due to freight (even if you could send a few ex-Richmonds east at Old Oak alongside the GWML, perhaps making Richmond a Crossrail destination) - at last Ealing BDY is well served by CL, CR (soon) etc.
With the Circle service taking capacity both main District branches out of Earl's Court need other lines to join them unless a significant number terminate at HSK or South Ken, hence Chelney south of Parson's Green.
The busy section of the Wimbledon branch is between Putney and Earl's Court, and Chelney joining at Parson's Green won't deal with the bottleneck south of this. Then again the crowding south of Parson's green is not that bad. If existing South Ken/Tower Hill-bound users of the Wimbledon branch keep on the District, the section between Parson's Green and Earl's Court will remain very busy but it's unlikely and Chelney will most likely take over the whole branch meaning a lot of the passengers headed for the West End/City will continue on Chelney and the Wimbledon branch further north won't be too crowded.

One difficulty with the western branches is what to send there and how to do it cheaply. Chelney - or some other line taking over its route if Crossrail 2 goes straight to Clapham Junction - could be extended that way beyond Parson's Green meaning people from Wimbledon have to change to get on it (cross-platform interchange?) but it would mean a short distance to c. Hammersmith or maybe direct to Richmond and even Heathrow via the Hounslow area. If the DLR gets to Victoria it could go that way too. The H&C seems the obvious choice as it only needs a shortish tunnel under Turnham Green to use existing space between Grove Road and Acton Town. Its problem is what to do at its eastern end. For full frequencies it would need its own route eastward such as paralleling the Circle/Met or swinging down via the West End (like Crossrail) then maybe north again at King's Cross St. P. This could share some paths with the stub of the Edgware-Wimbledon service joining it via a flying junction at Praed Street and still allow for high frequencies on the Hammersmith (and beyond) branch..
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #3856
London Underground

Do you belive in the ghost stories about the Underground?
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #3857
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
Just demolition currently; the most striking works are around Tottenham Court Road station, where the whole block where the Astoria nightclub was has been pulled down.

Farringdon will follow soon, the entire block south of the current station is about to be pulled down (the Gay sauna and row of shops right opposite have just come down), including a very substantial office block.

I guess once demolition turns into construction you'll see more updates on ssc.
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #3858
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Underground View Post
Do you belive in the ghost stories about the Underground?
I'd like to... But I take any ghost story with a pinch of salt. They're good stories
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #3859
London Underground

Same here. I heard them on Youtube.
For those interested search for Haunted London Underground or Most Haunted Aldwych.

I've seen both and they're great!
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #3860
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Simple question:

What's the average distance between stations on an Underground line? What's the ideal distance between stations?
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube