daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #3941
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post

I mean... aren't these just a perfect design?

They where the first 'modern' tube trains, the design hasn't changed much since, only external hung doors and glass that goes up higher in the doors...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #3942
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Yes they were the first Tube stock which managed to locate all of the equipment under seats and hung off the underside of the car bodies, all previous Tube stocks had a portion of the motor cars devoted purely to equipment, like the ubiquitous 'Standard' Stock:

[IMG]http://i49.************/2db8ac8.jpg[/IMG]
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #3943
Tawny

Likes (Received): 2

Hi Tubeman,
So do you have any word on when we can expect to see three car DLR trains? I thought that I'd have seen some by now on the Bank to Lewisham branch.
Cheers,
Tawny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #3944
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
Hi Tubeman,
So do you have any word on when we can expect to see three car DLR trains? I thought that I'd have seen some by now on the Bank to Lewisham branch.
Cheers,
According to the TfL website, 'early 2010'... Doesn't help much, does it?
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #3945
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Cheers,
http://londonreconnections.blogspot....otbridges.html
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #3946
Tawny

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemcbuller View Post
Ta very much but that suggests a date that has passed and still no 3 car trains.
Tawny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM   #3947
metroranger

Likes (Received): 1730

Hi Tubeman.
Why didn't they extend the Jubilee along the old North London line to serve Stratford International instead of creating a DLR extension?
Stratford International is a lame duck without a good tube connection and will always be an inconvenient time wasting stop for passengers bound for St Pancras when it could have been a viable alternative. The Jubilee is the only tube that interconnects with all the other tube lines, passengers alighting at Stratford International would onl have had to make one more change to get anywhere on the tube map.
metroranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM   #3948
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroranger View Post
Hi Tubeman.
Why didn't they extend the Jubilee along the old North London line to serve Stratford International instead of creating a DLR extension?
Stratford International is a lame duck without a good tube connection and will always be an inconvenient time wasting stop for passengers bound for St Pancras when it could have been a viable alternative. The Jubilee is the only tube that interconnects with all the other tube lines, passengers alighting at Stratford International would onl have had to make one more change to get anywhere on the tube map.
I agree that the International station would be far better served by the Jubilee Line... I guess the main reason is that as the DLR is taking over the ex-NLL trackbed it follows that the DLR continues via that right of way under the regional station. Of course it would have been perfectly possible to swap the Jubilee and DLR round south of Stratford, e.g. a DLR flyover to take it into the current Jubilee terminus, with the Jubilee being slewed across to the NLL alignment and continuing under the regional station to Stratford International.
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM   #3949
metroranger

Quote:
I agree that the International station would be far better served by the Jubilee Line... I guess the main reason is that as the DLR is taking over the ex-NLL trackbed it follows that the DLR continues via that right of way under the regional station. Of course it would have been perfectly possible to swap the Jubilee and DLR round south of Stratford, e.g. a DLR flyover to take it into the current Jubilee terminus, with the Jubilee being slewed across to the NLL alignment and continuing under the regional station to Stratford International.
Many thanks for the prompt reply Tubeman.
I'd have thought a new set of points on the approach to Stratford Station (one terminus, the other two way to the International) & terminate the DLR in the space behind the bus station or is the space too tight?
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:46 PM   #3950
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Many thanks for the prompt reply Tubeman.
I'd have thought a new set of points on the approach to Stratford Station (one terminus, the other two way to the International) & terminate the DLR in the space behind the bus station or is the space too tight?
No problem

Yes it looks like there's enough room behind the bus station for a couple of DLR platforms, maybe a little cramped, but I agree that a branch off the Jubilee just south of Stratford onto the ex-NLL trackbed and thence to Stratford International would be a good idea... At least preferable to the DLR option under construction.

It does raise too the prospect of the Jubilee continuing beyond Stratford International up the Lea Valley to take over the Chingford branch too.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:11 PM   #3951
metroranger

Quote:
No problem

Yes it looks like there's enough room behind the bus station for a couple of DLR platforms, maybe a little cramped, but I agree that a branch off the Jubilee just south of Stratford onto the ex-NLL trackbed and thence to Stratford International would be a good idea... At least preferable to the DLR option under construction.

It does raise too the prospect of the Jubilee continuing beyond Stratford International up the Lea Valley to take over the Chingford branch too.
Thanks again Tubeman, I raised this question 7 years ago when I first heard of the DLR proposal and was met with a blank wall from my local councillors, MP, Mayor & TFL. I hadn't thought of a Chingford extension, that would have been great, would that be possible with the DLR?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:48 PM   #3952
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Thanks again Tubeman, I raised this question 7 years ago when I first heard of the DLR proposal and was met with a blank wall from my local councillors, MP, Mayor & TFL. I hadn't thought of a Chingford extension, that would have been great, would that be possible with the DLR?
Yes, but less popular with Chingford Branch commuters I suspect. There's more kudos to having a Tube connection, and at least the Jubilee would offer direct (albeit slightly circuitous) trains to Canary Wharf and London Bridge. I think combined with Crossrail 1 trains from Stratford into Liverpool Street taking 5-6 minutes, losing the Liverpool Street 4tph trains but gaining maybe 15tph Jubilee would be a good swap (I'd reverse the other 15tph at Stratford).

DLR to Canning Town and Woolwich... I'm not so sure!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:22 AM   #3953
metroranger

Quote:
Yes, but less popular with Chingford Branch commuters I suspect. There's more kudos to having a Tube connection, and at least the Jubilee would offer direct (albeit slightly circuitous) trains to Canary Wharf and London Bridge. I think combined with Crossrail 1 trains from Stratford into Liverpool Street taking 5-6 minutes, losing the Liverpool Street 4tph trains but gaining maybe 15tph Jubilee would be a good swap (I'd reverse the other 15tph at Stratford).

DLR to Canning Town and Woolwich... I'm not so sure!
Thanks Tubeman good to hear I wasn't barking up the wrong tree.
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #3954
silicon

Likes (Received): 518

Quote:

Yes they were the first Tube stock which managed to locate all of the equipment under seats and hung off the underside of the car bodies, all previous Tube stocks had a portion of the motor cars devoted purely to equipment, like the ubiquitous 'Standard' Stock:

[IMG]http://i49.************/2db8ac8.jpg[/IMG]
wich is the builder brand?

"pero bueno vale,para que amargarse"
"pero bueee, que se va a hacer?"
"pero buee, pa`lante es pa alla"
"al mal tiempo buena cara"
------------------------------------------------------------
silicon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #3955
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Quote:
Hi Tubeman,
Cheers,
Yesterday

DLR thread
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #3956
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silicon View Post
wich is the builder brand?
All built by Cammell-Laird (later Metro-Cammell) in Birmingham.

Metro-Cammell built the bulk of LU's trains before the 1990's, it was subsequently bought by GEC-Alsthom
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #3957
silicon

Quote:
All built by Cammell-Laird (later Metro-Cammell) in Birmingham.

Metro-Cammell built the bulk of LU's trains before the 1990's, it was subsequently bought by GEC-Alsthom
oh , you mean , all rolling stock built before 1990 , was built by cammel-laird and metro-cammel ,,,,, after 1990 metro cammel was bought by alstom , and then they built all new rolling stock in london ? was this new rolling stock built even in birmingham , , ?????

Old February 25th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #3958
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silicon View Post
oh , you mean , all rolling stock built before 1990 , was built by cammel-laird and metro-cammel ,,,,, after 1990 metro cammel was bought by alstom , and then they built all new rolling stock in london ? was this new rolling stock built even in birmingham , , ?????
Up until the Central Line 1992 stock, almost all LU stock was built by Metro-Cammell in Birmingham... The only surviving exception is the Metropolitan Line A60 Stock, which was built by Cravens of Sheffield.

The 1992 Stock was built by BREL (British Rail Engineering Ltd) in Derby, which was subsequently taken over by Bombardier, then the 1995 and 1996 Stocks were built in the former Metro-Cammel factory in Birmingham by GEC Alsthom. Sadly this factory closed in 2005, so no more LU trains will be built in Birmingham.

All of the latest LU trains (2009 and S Stocks) are being built by Bombardier in Derby, so at least they remain British-built.
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #3959
silicon

oh thank you a lott , for helping me to understand this beautyfull metro system , , i hope being there some day

Old February 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #3960
Upminster
Bahn 3.85

Thank you Tubeman, and all, for considerable and valuable information. I just joined. And just bought your book. I have been a "student" of the London Underground for many ( many ) years. Now I am developing a computer simulation of all London urban and suburban railways, using Bahn 3.85 software. Modeling the lines and routes and stations and trackwork is the easy part. The hard part is modeling the timetables and actually making the timetables work.

My question is this --- Can you tell us ( even approximately ) the peak tph on each of the London Underground lines and DLR? This would be a big help to me. Thank you.
Upminster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube