daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #4041
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1204

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
Ehh, it's a question of funding...
We were talking about what are the design capacities of different metros in the world. I don't understand how we came to funding issue. There can be thousands other issues - earthquakes, wars, etc. Are we going to discuss even that ??

Even if you talk about funding, then would say that it is cheaper and technically easier to buy new trains than to expand existing stations.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #4042
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
We were talking about what are the design capacities of different metros in the world. I don't understand how we came to funding issue. There can be thousands other issues - earthquakes, wars, etc. Are we going to discuss even that ??

Even if you talk about funding, then would say that it is cheaper and technically easier to buy new trains than to expand existing stations.
You might have been talking about design capacities, others were talking about actual capacity. There is a very real difference. A design capability is pretty useless if said system is not operating, nor currently capable of operating at that frequency, for a number of reasons including lack of rolling stock.

Many systems could be upgrade *** WITH MONEY *** to have a much higher capacity, so what is the difference between upgrading the system compared to buying new rolling stock? In the end where do comparisons stop. Actual or theoretical maximums?
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #4043
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1204

There is one more angle to it, which you haven't noticed. If a system is operating at less than it's design capacity then it does not means it is because of lack of funds. It may be because the system does not needs that capacity as of now but has built extra capacity keeping in mind future needs. I don't think that was too complicated to understand .

As I gave an example of Delhi metro, which currently operates at about a fourth of its design capacity not because of lack of money but because it does not needs that capacity right now. If Delhi metro wants to increase capacity, it can do it without any structural changes, only rolling stock would be needed. There would be many more new systems around the world which are operating at less than capacity because they are currently small (hence under-used), so they do not need that extra capacity right now.

On the other hand if an older metro system like London or Paris needs to increase capacity, it will require many design changes like lengthening of station for longer trains, improvement of signalling for more frequency, etc. It will also need longer/more trains for that. Addition of rolling stock is common in both cases but in former there is no structural expense, while in latter case, it is.

So that's the difference between upgrading a system and just buying new stock .
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #4044
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

As fascinating as this discussion is, can we take it elsewhere please?
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #4045
cristof

Likes (Received): 69

going from Homerton borough to central London...which is the fastest way?...i have seen they are still working with the overground service...bus shuttles seem to replace the ordinary service...i am wondering, are peak hours travelling by bus painful in this part of the city (Homerton)?
cristof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #4046
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristof View Post
going from Homerton borough to central London...which is the fastest way?...i have seen they are still working with the overground service...bus shuttles seem to replace the ordinary service...i am wondering, are peak hours travelling by bus painful in this part of the city (Homerton)?
The Overground trains should be operating most of the time... maybe just weekend closures?

By far the quickest way to escape Homerton is take the Overground to Highbury & Islington and get on the Victoria Line... I had the misfortune of living on Wick Road many years ago so know the journey well.

You can bus it all the way from Mare Street (Hackney) on the #38, but it takes a long time to get into Central London (45 minutes?).
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #4047
cristof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
The Overground trains should be operating most of the time... maybe just weekend closures?

By far the quickest way to escape Homerton is take the Overground to Highbury & Islington and get on the Victoria Line... I had the misfortune of living on Wick Road many years ago so know the journey well.

You can bus it all the way from Mare Street (Hackney) on the #38, but it takes a long time to get into Central London (45 minutes?).
ok thank u tubeman
im joining the London's folk next month, i am going to stand nearby the Homerton's station, hope it's a pretty borough...a new commuter is coming ;d
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #4048
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

You will want to go to Highbury and Islington and change for the Victoria I guess... although sometimes it might be quicker to go east to Stratford and get on a Central/Jubilee Line!
Homerton is not a borough, but a place in the borough of Hackney anyway.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #4049
cristof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
You will want to go to Highbury and Islington and change for the Victoria I guess... although sometimes it might be quicker to go east to Stratford and get on a Central/Jubilee Line!
Homerton is not a borough, but a place in the borough of Hackney anyway.
ok i get it lol ...thanks for the tip...as i saw on the TFL's website, up to the end of May, bus shuttles are replacing the overground line service, i dont know how the traffic is during the rush hours...i'll see... otherwise, the option going to Stratford seems interesting i'll see with the fare cause it's not in 1-2 zone...but i guess Oyster card have got some interesting offers for commuters.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #4050
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
ok i get it lol ...thanks for the tip...as i saw on the TFL's website, up to the end of May, bus shuttles are replacing the overground line service, i dont know how the traffic is during the rush hours...i'll see... otherwise, the option going to Stratford seems interesting i'll see with the fare cause it's not in 1-2 zone...but i guess Oyster card have got some interesting offers for commuters.
Going via Stratford will also give you the opportunity to see up close construction on the Olympic site which is right beside that route.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #4051
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

here's a set of questions

Hi Tubeman

Here's a question for you:
  • Im planning for 2 weeks in Greater London this coming August;
  • For at least some of the time my wife & I will be staying with family;
  • My family members live in south Lewisham and Chatham;
  • There are a lot of places we would like to see in Central London, as well as Windsor & Greenwich - so we will be taking the buses, DLR, Network Rail and the underground;
  • We would like to have a few days to travel outside of London-probably to Brighton, or maybe to Dover;

Given all that info, here is my question:

Buy two Oystercards and ride off the daily fare cap?
Or, buy 2 week's worth of 7-day travel cards for two people

Which one is the better deal? Thanks in advance

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880

Last edited by allurban; April 28th, 2010 at 10:07 AM.
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #4052
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
ok thank u tubeman
im joining the London's folk next month, i am going to stand nearby the Homerton's station, hope it's a pretty borough...a new commuter is coming ;d
I hate to break it to you, but Homerton certainly isn't pretty... In fact, I'd rate it as one of the 5 worst areas of London. The only redeeming feature is that Victoria Park is a short walk to the south.

I lived on Wick Road about 15 years ago, at the junction of Barnabas Road (which is where the station is). Maybe it's improved since then, but back then it was a depressing, crime-ridden, collection of council estates... The 'bad bit' of Hackney, which is saying something.

Good luck!
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #4053
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
Hi Tubeman

Here's a question for you:
  • Im planning for 2 weeks in Greater London this coming August;
  • For at least some of the time my wife & I will be staying with family;
  • My family members live in south Lewisham and Chatham;
  • There are a lot of places we would like to see in Central London, as well as Windsor & Greenwich - so we will be taking the buses, DLR, Network Rail and the underground;
  • We would like to have a few days to travel outside of London-probably to Brighton, or maybe to Dover;

Given all that info, here is my question:

Buy two Oystercards and ride off the daily fare cap?
Or, buy 2 week's worth of 7-day travel cards for two people

Which one is the better deal? Thanks in advance

Cheers, m
Oyster pre-pay should always calculate the cheapest ticket for you so you don't need to worry... e.g. as soon as daily usage has exceeded the value of a day travelcard, it'll just deduct that value and no more, likewise once you reach the value of a week travelcard, you won't have any more money deducted for the remainder of that 7 days no matter how much you use it.

Your journeys to Chatham, Dover, Windsor and Brighton are more complicated because they're outside the TfL zones. I assume all routes are partly covered by Oyster prepay (i.e. to the edge of zone 6), so each of these trips I think you need to buy and extension on your Oyster travelcard from the edge of zone 6 to your destination (this should be cheaper than the fare all the way to / from central London).

Please check, because I'm not a ticketing expert (not having had to but one for 13 years! )
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #4054
cristof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
I hate to break it to you, but Homerton certainly isn't pretty... In fact, I'd rate it as one of the 5 worst areas of London. The only redeeming feature is that Victoria Park is a short walk to the south.

I lived on Wick Road about 15 years ago, at the junction of Barnabas Road (which is where the station is). Maybe it's improved since then, but back then it was a depressing, crime-ridden, collection of council estates... The 'bad bit' of Hackney, which is saying something.

Good luck!
oh gosh...i googled the street via streetview...it is just like another typical english streets, rows of same style's houses so i guess it is ok for a starter like me...for the evening it seems a matter if it is like u say...thanks for advising me, i am going to taste next week for several times but u know this is LONDON so whatever i'll happy ;d
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #4055
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

Tubeman, that Oyster answer baffles me. I purchase a Monthly which costs me £70 a month (Student) yet One month when I didn't buy one I spent about £90?! Does the cap only apply for the weekly? It's quite interesting to know that though, and that's good to know about the extension too. I'll have to look into that, though you can get to Brighton for £6 (student) day return I think (at least you could!)

I'm looking at living in Hampstead from September, ideally near the overground station, would the best way to get into central be by walking to Hampstead on the Northern line? Or by getting the overground and interchanging? Also how frequent will they be? I've heard 4tph but it would be great to know for sure! (the tfl website can have a little too much information!)
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #4056
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

DOUBLE POST! PLEASE DELETE!
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #4057
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1782

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
Tubeman, that Oyster answer baffles me. I purchase a Monthly which costs me £70 a month (Student) yet One month when I didn't buy one I spent about £90?! Does the cap only apply for the weekly? It's quite interesting to know that though, and that's good to know about the extension too. I'll have to look into that, though you can get to Brighton for £6 (student) day return I think (at least you could!)

I'm looking at living in Hampstead from September, ideally near the overground station, would the best way to get into central be by walking to Hampstead on the Northern line? Or by getting the overground and interchanging? Also how frequent will they be? I've heard 4tph but it would be great to know for sure! (the tfl website can have a little too much information!)
There's only the daily cap. Season tickets do need to be bought in advance.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #4058
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
oh gosh...i googled the street via streetview...it is just like another typical english streets, rows of same style's houses so i guess it is ok for a starter like me...for the evening it seems a matter if it is like u say...thanks for advising me, i am going to taste next week for several times but u know this is LONDON so whatever i'll happy ;d
Tubeman certainly isn't exaggerating. I remember reading a few years ago how Hackney was in the bottom 5 most economically deprived areas in the entire UK. And that was before the recession.

Don't know what it's like now, but I'm willing to bet that the streets there are not paved with gold.

I grew up in South London (Clapham) before it became 'gentrified' and it was a pretty scary place in those days. London really is an extraordinary mixture of extremely wealthy suburbs and extremely poor ones with every sort in between. It certainly isn't a dull city by any means! Some people love it and others hate it. Approach it with an open mind and see what you think...
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #4059
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
There's only the daily cap. Season tickets do need to be bought in advance.
Sorry I'm clearly giving duff advice again... As I said, ticketing isn't my forte!
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #4060
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post

Walk to Hampstead LU... I guess it ultimately depends where in central London you're going to, but Hampstead Heath doesn't really offer the best interchange opportunities... At a push going to West Hampstead and changing onto the Jubilee Line is ok, but other than that your options are very limited. I'd expect Hampstead Heath to still offer 4tph then.

Tags
london, railways, tube